Start by marking “Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester, #1)

Mitigating Circumstances (Lily Forrester #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  938 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
As the new Chief of the Sex Crimes Division, Lily is a champion of the modern legal system-until a brutal attack against her teenaged daughter and herself forces Lily to take the law into her own hands....

Readers will want to rediscover the book that introduced attorney Lily Forrester.
Published January 4th 2001 by Orion Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mitigating Circumstances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mitigating Circumstances

Sean Asbury
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
It started with the drama of a great legal/sex/mystery book. I was intrigued but eventually stopped caring. There really wasn't any character in the book that made me care for them.

The daughter, mother, boyfriend, and husband were all written so shallow that I didn't want to root for them.

The sensationalism of the sex and the graphic crime descriptions didn't make up for the lack of drama and plot development.
☼~Marian~☼
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: suspense lovers
Recommended to ☼~Marian~☼ by: a friend
It was during college that I read this book. Liked it very much. I often catch myself thinking about its ending. Its moral dilemma & heightened emotions made this book hard to put down.
For a mother to witness her daughter being raped, and when vengeance is within reach, it was almost impossible for it not to end as what a reader would expect. A gratifying vengeance.
It was not ended that way....
Edwina Callan
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, audio, 2017
This is an edge of your seat thriller that hubby and I both enjoyed.
Marti
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it
This was another book that I liked better after I got into it. Lily Forrester is a strong character who suffered incest at the hands of her grandfather as a girl. She and her husband John are separated, and planning to divorce, which leaves their daughter with the future of spending time with each of them. She is a very strong character, but then, due to a fluke, she and her mother are raped. Early in the book there is the suggestion that Lily has been targeted by a prisoner in jail who can see ...more
Kristen
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
In the first installment of the Lily Forrester Legal thriller series, Mitigating Circumstances, by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg, she brought us a hard-hitting legal thriller with hard cope topics. Lillian "Lily" Forrester was the new chief in the Sex Crimes Division for the DA's Office. She was also a mother of a teenage daughter and a wife of a weak husband, she finally had the courage to end her failing marriage. In lieu of that, someone broke in their home and raped her and her own daughter. From t ...more
Jerry King
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
1993
Diana Noe smith
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Alger
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable, perhaps iconic, example of the early 1990's thriller genre novel. From the Big Hair author photo on the cover, to the checklist plot, nothing in this book will surprise anyone who was an adult during the period except possibly the strength of the ending which sets up the series in an unexpected fashion.

This was obviously a story that was written backwards; a strong finish backed up with a collection of tropes robbed from 80s era Hollywood. The story here is of a woman in a sexless
Anna Ligtenberg
ISBN 0451176723 - Almost a sister to Nancy Wagner's All Our Lives (ISBN 0380778084), Mitigating Circumstances is not quite as good. Both books deal with a family dealing with the rape of a daughter and a marriage that's fallen apart, but Wagner's is just a little bit better.

Lily Forrester is an ADA who has just been made head of the Sex Crimes Division and sees her goal of becoming a judge within sight when her marriage finally unravels. Her daughter chooses to live with her father, but spends a
Jeanette
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Judge Lara Sanderstone has complete control of her courtroom, and hardly any control of her personal life. Divorced and living alone, she has a contentious relationship with her beautiful younger sister,Ivory, a widow, and now married to a scheming low life. Ivory has a 16 year-old son Josh, who is mistreated by his step-dad, yet not allowed to see his Aunt Lara, who misses him terribly. When Ivory and her husband are murdered, their steamy secret life is uncovered. Josh, resentful of the fact h ...more
Joe
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Debut book, written by Nancy Rosenberg, way back in 1993. I was recently shopping at a used bookstore, WONDER BOOKS up in Fredricksburg, MD and came upon a copy and realized she was on my List of TO READ Authors so I picked this up and her 2nd book, INTEREST OF JUSTICE and I am glad I did.
Court room drama and thriller set in Los Angeles. Main character is Lily Forrester, an ADA and newly promoted to Chief of the Sex Crimes Division. Her marriage on the rocks, a wild 13 year old daughter and all
Ukgardenfiend
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Now this had some real moral questions - would you have done what the main characters did? Just where do you draw the line when your children are hurt? And if you are in law enforcement of whatever level are morally obliged to be better at upholding justice than the hoi polloi? Are there really mitigating circumstances? I identified with the main female character but as I am very anti-gun couldn't ever do what she did - not sure either that I could ever take a life. My feelings when having compl ...more
Judith
Jul 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I registered this book at BookCrossing.com!

Lily Forrester, ADA and Chief of the Sex Crimes Division of a city in Southern California, is shaken by a horrifying incident in her daughter Shana's life. She abandons all she knows about crime and punishment and decides to go vigilante. Or I believe we are meant to believe she acts out of blind rage and doesn't realize what she is doing until she has done it.

It's a serious subject and it deserves serious tr
Nancy Kennedy
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this one on the shelf at the library. Couldn't put it down and it gave me nightmares. A District Attorney and her 13-year-old daughter are both raped by a maniac she put in jail. The DA lady gets a shotgun and kills the rapist. The book is all about "will she get away with it?" and "did she even kill the right guy?" Very suspenseful!
Karschtl
Wahrscheinlich gar kein schlechter Thriller, aber ich war absolut nicht in der Stimmung ein Buch über Vergewaltigung von Kindern zu lesen, zudem ja auch andere Misshandlungsfälle, die die Protagonistin als Staatsanwältin bearbeitet, beschrieben wurden. Da hat es mir echt die Haare aufgestellt und ich habe das Buch lieber zur Seite gelegt.
Meghan
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I was bothered by the morals of the main character. I almost put the book down, BUT the author did a good job of making this a page turner for me even though the character bugged me. There was a true sense to the book so thumbs up to the author for writing was is true, not fluffing the book to make it perfect and fluffy for innocent people to read.
LJ
MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES - DNF
Rosenberg, Nancy Taylor - 1st in Lily Forrester series

DA Lily Forrester sees her dreams of a judge's post and a new romance shattered when she and her teenage daughter are brutally assaulted. In protecting her daughter from the traumas of a rape trial, Lily takes revenge by killing the man she is convinced is the rapist.

Boring, didn't pass my 50-page rule.
Mohikanos
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Πολύ ωραίο βιβλίο, με γρήγορη εξέλιξη, γεμάτο αγωνία και πολλά διλήμματα σχετικά με τις πράξεις των (αντι)ηρώων. Είναι αρκετά σκληρό και ωμό, γεμάτο προβληματισμούς, και ξεγυμνώνει μια χώρα γεμάτη βία και ανθρώπους υλιστές. Σε κρατάει σε αγωνία, αποφεύγει τις κοινοτοπιές και αποδεικνύει ότι ένα βιβλίο δεν χρειάζεται να είναι ογκώδες για να πει αυτά που θέλει να πει. Αξίζει να διαβαστεί. (8/10)
Crystal
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Wow! I can't believe this book got such mediocre reviews. I loved this book. This book is about how far a mother will go to protect her daughter after a violent attack. It is explicit at times and may be hard to read because of the details, but for the most part a great book.
Peggy
Jun 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was a terrible book, but once I started it, I felt like I had to finish it. I didn't like any of the characters, so I really didn't care what happened to any of them! I'm not sure whether I'll try any other books by this author, although usually I really like legal thrillers.
Holly
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is about a female judge who faces a moral and judicial issue when the man who raped her daughter is brought forth to court on an unrelated crime. He has no clue who the judge is and she does not excuse herself from the case.
Jackie Simons
Read 6/94
Tamara
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THE NOVEL WAS AMAZING CANT WAIT TO READ BURIED EVIDENCE
Stephen
Oct 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I finished this book a few weeks ago and have nearly forgotten all of it all ready. Not my favorite book of the year by a long shot.
Lidija Posavec
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Razočarao me kraj :/
Between the Lines
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well written and nail bitting...read this just about a decade ago and the story is still vivid in my mind.
Nicholas Parsons
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Good plot but the characters are a little cliche.
Cheryl
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I only read half. Couldn't go all the way to the end. Not interested.
Cws
M Ros
JenniferB
Good author, but book a bit sordid
  • Suspicion of Malice (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #5)
  • Against the Wind
  • The Fourth Perimeter
  • Capitol Offense (Ben Kencaid, #17)
  • Doll's Eyes
  • Corporate Bodies
  • Femmes Fatal (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)
  • Masquerade
  • Mary, Mary
  • Somebodies and Nobodies: Overcoming the Abuse of Rank
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Even Steven
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • Man and Wife
  • A Darker Justice (Mary Crow, #2)
  • Sugar Skull (Eve Diamond Mystery, #2)
With a BA in English and 5 years as a photographic model behind her, Nancy Taylor Rosenberg studied criminology. She served in the Dallas Police Department, New Mexico State Police, Ventura Police Department and as an Investigative Probation Officer in Court Services for the Country of Ventura where she handled major crimes. She lives in California.
More about Nancy Taylor Rosenberg...

Lily Forrester (4 books)
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester, #4)
  • The Cheater (Lily Forrester, #3)