Start by marking “Taming the Wind” as Want to Read:
Taming the Wind

Taming the Wind

Claire's life will never be the same. After a horrific car accident takes the lives of her parents and siblings, fifteen-year-old Claire's dreams of becoming a soccer star are dashed, and she finds herself alone and without a home. Forced to move in with her estranged grandparents, Claire feels like her life is being blown by the windand she has no idea how to make it stop ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Bonneville

To ask other readers questions about Taming the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming the Wind

Brenda
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was really surprised how much I liked this book. It was a difficult story to read, but knowing that Claire lost her whole family before I started the book, seemed to help lessen the sadness of it. (Not a spoiler- it's from the book jacket) It was definitely a story about loss, but much more it was about survival, endurance, healing and finally faith. Jesse was amazing and I kept having to remind myself that these were only teenagers struggling to get through. (I really disliked the chapter tit ...more
Hanna
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was really good. It made me think too. How would I feel or what would I do if I lost all of my family in a car accident and lose all my friends, home, school, everything at the same time. Move in with strangers practically and start a whole other life. And on top of that, do all that without my knowledge of the gospel. I take so much for granted. I thought it was really well done and had a really cute love story in it at the same time. Made me realize that every day is worth celebratin ...more
Heidi Pack
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
a sweet book on mourning and loss
Kathryn
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Kate
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This book takes the reader on an emotional journey. The protagonist, Claire, is dealing with the roller coaster of surviving an accident in which her parents and brothers died.

The myriad of emotions, thoughts, and actions that happen in the story seemed realistic to me. I could imagine someone experiencing them in the way portrayed.

I loved the analogy of the wind. The wind continues in it's path, it doesn't change, everything learns to adapt to the wind. That theme is brought up in several place
Denisse
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My rating is slightly biased because I went to school with the author. ;) Michelle and I played on the soccer team together; she was an awesome soccer player and I was terrible. I looked up to her then as a player and I look up to her now as a writer. I was very excited to read her novel when it was published and it was fun to see how she wove elements of her own personal life into the story. I am so proud of Michelle and am looking forward to reading her next novel. Teenagers will be able to re ...more
Julia Talbert
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was very well written. It was very easy to feel connected to Claire, the main character. I could feel each emotion as she was feeling them and I just wanted to tell her it would be okay. The book was easy to become engrossed in and while I wanted to read it as fast as I could to see how it ended, I was sad when it was. This book was a great read not only for adults but for youth as well.
Beth Pearson
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was meant for my teenage daughter, but I read it first. It's about a 15 year old who survives a car crash that kills her family. She goes to give with grandparents she'd never met before and most of the story is about her recovery. Parts of the story was very unrealistic to me, but I think most teens wouldn't notice that as much as I did.
Hanna M.
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. I know Michelle and her boys. they were a wonderful family and we were good friends with each other. As I read the book I was touched. The feeling of love for Claire and her predicament was overwhelming. As I read I thought about how I would react to something like that. I realized how much I owe to the gospel and how glad I am for eternal families. Thank you Michelle!
Evieccurtis
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought Taming the Wind was a great story..especially for teens. I read it straight through in less than two days, then recommended it to others, especially the teens I work with. Would I read another book by this author? Yes!!
Dorry Lou
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is about a 15 year old who struggles to find meaning in her life after so much tragedy. She has to go to her grandparents to live and she does not even know them. She learns to deal with change and eventually finds some hope.
Taylor
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I've read this book before and just grabbed it the other day to read again. I read it a lot slower than I did the first time and I really enjoyed it. I love YA fiction and this one is short, sweet and full of meaning. A young girl overcoming tragedy. It's a great read!
Juneve
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Michelle Thompson has beautifully portrayed a young girl's journey through unbearable grief and pain toward a healing peace. She has described in words how the wind of change blows us to and fro at times, but can also carry us to a settling and quiet comfort.
Kristine
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Lot of trauma that seemed to be solved suddenly. I think I would have enjoyed it more had there been more to that part of the story.
Charmaine Puzey
May 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Was ok. Pretty teeny bopperish.
Suzana
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good book, but be prepared to cry, a lot! Heartbreaking but so full of hope and forgiveness and second chances.
Alesha Holt
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it!! It was different to see them fall in love at such an early age! But i loved it
Natalie
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!!!!
Sean
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Shelley
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for teens- good story, real issues. I thought it was well written.
Deb
May 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
So far this book is good, but kind of sad. Can't put it down though.
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
WOW! This was an amazing book! Very sad, I was in tears within the first few pages! Very heartfelt. Wonderful story!
Cheri
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a good book for teens. Claire learns some hard lessons from life; she is the only survivor in a car crash that kills the rest of her family members.
Kimmy
Debbie Barr
rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Michelle Thompson grew up in New Mexico, Tennessee and Arizona and has twelve brothers and sisters (biological, adopted and step). She has a Bachelor’s degree from Arizona State University in Family and Human Development. She is the author of "Taming the Wind", a young adult fiction novel and "Flames of Redemption", a young adult fiction novel, and has had multiple freelance columns published in A ...more