Start by marking “The Road (Being Human, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Road (Being Human, #1)

The Road

(Being Human #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In a story set during Season Two of the hit BBC America show, the roommates find their hands full with a ghost to help and mysterious deaths to solve

Annie has learned quite a bit about her new friend Gemma: she’s from Bristol, she used to work in a pharmacy, and she’s never forgiven herself for the suicide of her teenage son. She also died 10 years ago and doesn’t know
Published April 15th 2010 by BBC Books (first published February 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road

Lisa
I read all three of the Being Human tie-in novels over the course of five days in February, 2013. At the time, I wasn't aware that audiobooks had been produced narrated by three of the cast or else I would have probably opted for them over the Kindle editions. Having recently learnt of their existence, I decided to give them a go in the audio form.

For those that don't know, Being Human was a BBC3 television series that revolved around the premise of a vampire (Mitchell), a werewolf (George) and
Michael
I love the BBC version of BEING HUMAN, so when I saw there were several media tie-in books, I just had to had to check them out. For those of you who aren't familiar with the premise of the series, it's like a supernatural Three's Company—Annie (a ghost), George (a werewolf), and Mitchell (a vampire) share a London flat and try to pass themselves off as human. For the most part, it works, but there are those who aren't happy with the lives the roommates have chosen to lead and are doing their be ...more
Sian Wadey
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Being Human: The Road by Simon Guerrier

I'm a massive fan of the Being Human series, and I was a bit sceptical about the accompanying book, but my aunt, also a big fan of the series, recommended it to me. I've read other books from TV shows, such as CSI and Dr Who, but my main problem was that Being Human is a series and has an ongoing storyline every week where as the other books (from TV Shows) I've read are distinct and you can read them (or watch them) without knowing the back story. You can'
Debbie
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of the series, so I enjoyed this book and getting to read a bit more about the characters.
Lynne
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having discovered the former BBC 3 drama somewhat late in the day, I hadn't realised that three tie-in novels were also available, and that this was the first. Other posters have commented that some knowledge of the first series (not season, it's a UK show and we still, in general, use series) is useful, and I have to agree to some extent. Other posters have also complained that they thought the characterisation somewhat thin in comparison to the TV, but I feel in this case it doesn't really mat ...more
BlackfishGirl
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved Being Human and I think this is why I really enjoyed this book, without a Being Human background it may be a bit confusing and probably not half as enjoyable. There are some issues, some phrases are overused to a point it gets a bit irritating, it's certainly no work of literary genius but it's enjoyable and manages to capture the Being Human feel, the characters feel like they do in the series and it's like having an extra episode!
Iza
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr-uf-horror, tv
A huge fan of the British series, I had to read the books ! And I enjoyed finding my beloved characters again (except Herrick, but you can't have it all !)
Morven
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire, horror
Excellent narration by Lenora Crichlow of Mitchell's character.

I wish Goodreads would allow half stars. This really isn't what I consider a 4-star book, but 3 stars is too low. The reason I don't feel it's 4-star material is because I found the pace plodding in sections and found following the plot a little difficult. But maybe that's my fault: there was a big break between when I started reading it and when I finished it, so maybe I forgot some of the plot points or didn't remember foreshadowin
Nicholas Whyte
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, bh, 1211, 2012
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2023033.html[return][return]It's tricky to write novels set during the fairly tight continuity of a TV show, though one format that works well here is the Being Human version of the Doctor Who / Torchwood monster-of-the-week, in this case a ghostly woman called Gemma, whose presence in our heroes' lives provokes them to help her find her own closure after the her son's death. The truth turns out to be pretty tough to uncover and also rather unpleasant in detail, wit ...more
Valerie
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of "Being Human"
The first of a three part series, companions to the second series of "Being Human". ("Being Human" is my current TV obsession--delightfully dark and absurdly funny.) While all three stand alone, they also connect to a larger arc. The books also have different authors, so the reader gets a slightly different take on the characters.

"The Road" starts off badly by getting basic character details wrong--George is not the tallest; Mitchell doesn't raid the hospital blood supplies. Turns out that last
Mark Gibbs
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This is one for the fans of the series I think! - It is a bit difficult to place within the events of the series - but I should guess at some point early on in Season 2 of the British version of the series.

The three protagonists are captured perfectly for me here - Annie in particular being very well observed. However , on occasions, the plotline did become obscure and dragged a little - perhaps it was a little thin , in places for the length of a novel to sustain. The mystery being a little eas
Lisa
Probably my least favourite of the Being Human tie-in novels. It really lacked the danger and suspense that the other two novels had – I never really felt as though the threat to the trio was real enough. I felt a number of plot points were left unresolved (which I could put down to The Road being the first in a trilogy, except I've read the other books and they're still unresolved). The characters didn't really come alive for me either, but I did enjoy getting a glimpse of George and Mitchell's ...more
H Lynnea
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-unowned
Quick review: If you enjoy the BBC show Being Human, this is on par with most of the episodes. This takes place after the end of Season 1 of the television show, and does assume familiarity with the characters and setting.

I must admit, I did get occasionally frustrated with Annie (but I get frustrated with her on the show as well, so this is unsurprising), because she seemed to miss things that I felt were obvious clues surrounding the plot.

The book does have humourous moments, generally around
Melodie
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
I am a huge fan of the Being Human TV show on BBCAmerica, so I wasn't surprised when I really enjoyed this book. It was a really quick read. Takes place right after the end of the first season and reads like a mystery. Mitchell becomes quite the investigator when a ghost named Gemma shows up at their place. She walks through a door that Annie thinks is meant for her. Things about Gemma don't quite add up, so Mitchell & George are looking for info while dealing with their own dilemmas at work ...more
April Cole
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
As a fan of the series I was really hoping the book would be as good. But it drags on in parts and with Annie being on the cover and it is a story about ghost you would think she would step it up and be important. Instead she is sidelined and the book focuses more on Mitchell. The ending did take on a dark tone which follows the darker tone of season two of the show. But over all not that interesting of a story.
Amanda
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've read my share of mediocre media tie-in paperbacks, but this book was far from the norm, and I was pleasantly surprised. It felt like I'd discovered a long-lost episode of Being Human (which I'm in withdrawal from, particularly missing Mitchell and George!). It was witty and fun, and I can't wait to read the next book, Chasers, which continues a plot line started in this novel.
Alison
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved the TV show which I found on Hulu only this year. I missed the characters so much when I found the three novels on Amazon. I've just finished reading The Road and was very happy to have the opportunity to spend time with Annie, George and Mitchell again! I'll be reading the remaining books as soon as they arrive.
Jimmy
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: I'm a fan of the TV series
2 1/2 STARS It Was Okay/So-So/I Liked It

*(Time-placing: George has broken up with Nina, but not yet met Sam; he is also still working at the hospital, therefore placing this story between episode 2.3 and 2.4)
Laura Gomes
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-series
Story was like watching the ghost whisperer without a story? Make sense? No well that's because it didn't stupid!
Viktoria
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was written as if it was an episode. I could see it all played out in my head. I love the subplot with Mitchell and George.
Trev
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
pretty plodding in places - only for committed fans of the show
Nickie
Jan 19, 2010 marked it as binned
Recommended to Nickie by: Rob Francis
I can't seem to read anything more complex than the Metro (on way to work) and Evening STandard (on way home), so am reading this. It's not very good...
Louise
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Great :D
Deanne
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Quick read based on the TV series, and very true to the feel of the characters. Very funny in places especially George.
Jackie
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Enjoyed it but love the characters from the T.V series.
Kain
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well despite not being sure where in the time line this book relates to the series it was a decent yet quick read. The humor still ever present and plenty of of surprises.
A
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly well executed tie in novel.
Definitely recommend it for the fans of the show.
The other Sandy
The plot was kind of thin, but the characters were surprisingly in character for a tie-in novel.
Dina
Mar 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This book is for the fans of being human (duh!), and it's quite good by the way. better than i expected anyway.
Justin Hemming
Jun 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Chasers (Being Human, #2)
  • Bad Blood (Being Human, #3)
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • Within the Shadows of Mortals (Ashen Twilight #2)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Blood of the Beast (The Blood Chronicles #1)
  • The Undertaker's Gift (Torchwood, #14)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • Lurker (Wicked Dead #1)
  • Forgotten Self (Forgotten Self, #1)
  • La Catastrophe (Aldebaran #1)
  • Digger, Volume Four
  • Marvel's Thor - The Dark World Prelude
  • Dark Passion (The Brethren, #3)
  • Doctor Who: The Glamour Chase
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • The Pact of the Wolves
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
Simon Guerrier is a British science fiction author and dramatist, closely associated with the fictional universe of Doctor Who and its spinoffs. Although he has written three Doctor Who novels, for the BBC Books range, his work has mostly been for Big Finish Productions' audio drama and book ranges.

Guerrier's earliest published fiction appeared in Zodiac, the first of Big Finish's Short Trips rang

Being Human (3 books)
  • Chasers (Being Human, #2)
  • Bad Blood (Being Human, #3)