Start by marking “Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens” as Want to Read:
Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens

Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens

Develop your green thumb as you learn to grow your own food. In this introductory guide to growing vegetables, Barbara Pleasant addresses common problems that first-time gardeners encounter. Using simple language and illustrated garden layouts, Pleasant shows you how to start, maintain, and eventually expand an organic vegetable garden in even the tiniest backyard. With ha ...more
Published March 17th 2010 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Starter Vegetable Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starter Vegetable Gardens

Suzanne
Jun 07, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
WOW! This book grows with you, plans for first, second and third year gardens! She assumes you will do all the work yourself, and that you actually want to eat what you produce.

I kept reading it going...WOW! WOW! Barbara Pleasant has written the book I need, she brought all of the ideas into a complete system.

I am stealing her "Family Food Factory" title (these are her big producing gardens in the middle of the book) for my own FFF!

Julia
Feb 28, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, nonfiction
This book lays out a very nice range of garden plans, including ones for beginners and very small gardens, to huge gardens for pros. Most are multi-year plans, a huge plus, so that you learn as you go. Includes detailed lists for supplies, seeds, and plants for every project, a timeline, and how-to info. Additional sections on organic gardening in general. A great resource if you don't know how to start, or if you need to have the possibilities reigned in (that's me!).
Erin
Apr 02, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book with lots of suggestions for different combinations of plants and a variety of layouts. I love that the book will grow along with my gardening expertise! I prepared my beds yesterday, and I'm planting today :-)
Jared Reck
Feb 08, 2012 Jared Reck rated it really liked it
That's right. We're gardening. Great guide for those looking to dig a little deeper. (See what I did there?)
Patricia Kaniasty
Feb 09, 2017 Patricia Kaniasty rated it it was amazing
Looks like this will work out very good. Learned a bunch of new things and am already to start my new garden come spring.
Renee
Feb 25, 2017 Renee rated it it was ok
This is a great book for someone who wants to use a lot of green space for an attractive, progressive garden. I prefer to have the traditional garden where there isn't grass to mow between rows.
Bird
Who knew I could get so excited about a gardening book? But I'm definitely excited, because this book is just what I was looking for as we begin our first foray into vegetable gardening.

The book has multiple options for gardeners (from growing veggies right out of bags of soil, to a "Family Food Factory"), depending on how much time and space you have to devote to taking care of your new garden. Each option also features three years' worth of plans, so you can slowly expand your garden over tim
Trace
Feb 11, 2017 Trace rated it it was amazing
LOVED this gardening book so much that I'm purchasing it for my personal library.
Barb
Apr 25, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
I'm feeling ready to go beyond adding a few vegies to my flower garden. Last year the cucumbers weren't as good as the year prior, but I did forget to mention watering the garden before I went on vacation.... But the beans were a lot of fun to grow. I like the process more than the product, so that is probably why I haven't done too much with vegies. This book is very informative and motivating. I'm going to try the gardening straight out of the soil bags. Much easier than breaking new ground. E ...more
C
I'm not sure I'll ever be able to mark this book as anything other than "currently reading". Each time I sit down with it, I find something new.

While it may be too elementary for those with extensive experience, it's a font of knowledge for us newbs as well as those with only a passing acquaintance with coaxing nutritious life from the dirt.

Buy a hard copy so you can take it outside, mark it up, and get it dirty.
Jackie Tilks
Feb 18, 2013 Jackie Tilks rated it liked it
I actually didn't read every single page of this book. I used it as a resource to educate myself before setting up our first family garden this year. It is very approachable, written in simple how-to format with a lot of pictures. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about starting a vegetable garden.
Tina
Feb 15, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
Another great gardening book from Barbara Pleasant and Burpee. This one has all of these garden plans that start from a beginner and then go from there. There are lots of pictures, ideas, and lay-outs to choose from so I don't think you can go wrong with this one. Would highly recommend this book.
AJ
May 08, 2010 AJ rated it it was ok
This book has a lot of pre-planned gardens, but that's not quite what I was hoping for. It's a beautiful, full color book with lots of pictures and diagrams. However, if you already have a garden planned or planted, this book isn't for you.
sasasa
Jul 27, 2012 sasasa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, garden
really great for an ambitious beginner. "recipes" for lots of different kinds of edible gardens and each has a 3year plan that you can work up to as you learn more. step-by-step instructions and lots of practical, illustrated info on techniques, planting plans, etc.
I looooved this book. I love the design ideas, I loved the idea to grow stuff in bags so they smother the grass. I love the three year plans. I love that it makes it seem so easy. I wish that I had this book.
Junio
Jul 13, 2010 Junio rated it liked it
We're making a modified version of the easy care bag garden right now. The squash starts that we planted a little over a week ago have a lot of flowers today. Looking forward to their fruits.
The Librarian
Apr 08, 2010 The Librarian rated it really liked it
Very handy little book for beginning gardeners. Great ideas and garden layout illustrations.
Kathryn
Mar 05, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Loved the way it was organized. Loved the tips. Loved that it included multiple plans and ideas to grow your garden over the course of several years.
Morgan
May 03, 2012 Morgan rated it it was ok
I sort of skimmed through this looking for ideas but it seemed like a decent book. I didn't care for their set up of things but I did get me started.
Barbara
Feb 23, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Display for Learning Landscape.
Chase Seibert
Mar 22, 2014 Chase Seibert rated it liked it
Good ideas. Very repetitive content between all the gardens. Good illustrations. Poor Kindle conversion; section titles are in 100pt font.
Tisha
Jul 25, 2011 Tisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
This book really got me thinking about how to incorporate a garden into my yard. It feels like a good beginner book, although I haven't planted anything yet to prove that.
Nancy
Apr 29, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
Some super simple ideas for growing vegetables--including basically growing them in the bag of soil!
Amy
Mar 27, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
The flat-out best vegetable gardening book for new gardeners. I recommend it in all my food-gardening lectures. The garden plans are beautiful and easy to execute.
Fawn Rueckert
Mar 05, 2011 Fawn Rueckert rated it liked it
Great plans, especially the ones broken down into three year increments. I'd love to try the front yard vegie garden.
JerJe
Jan 18, 2016 JerJe rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, raw-foodism
This is the way to make an easy, even if just in little pots, organic healthy start in your life.
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2012
catastrophegirl
catastrophegirl rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • Rodale's Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Green Resource for Every Gardener
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • Small-Plot, High-Yield Gardening: How to Grow Like a Pro, Save Money, and Eat Well by Turning Your Back (or Front or Side) Yard Into An Organic Produce Garden
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
  • Lasagna Gardening: A New Layering System for Bountiful Gardens: No Digging, No Tilling, No Weeding, No Kidding!
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • The Edible Landscape: Creating a Beautiful and Bountiful Garden with Vegetables, Fruits and Flowers
  • A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces