Start by marking “The Pyramid of Souls (Magickeepers, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Pyramid of Souls (Magickeepers, #2)

The Pyramid of Souls

(Magickeepers #2)

It was stolen from Alexander the Great. To keep it safe, Edgar Allen Poe bargained away his sanity. And somebody suckered P. T. Barnum to get their hands on it. It's the most closely guarded secret in the magician community. And it's missing.

What would you do to protect your family from an ancient pyramid capable of stealing your very soul?Nick Rostov finally has the life
Published May 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Pyramid of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pyramid of Souls

Start your review of The Pyramid of Souls (Magickeepers, #2)
Hannah Belyea
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A grand convention of magicians from around the world is spoiled by the theft of the Pyramid of Souls, and Nick will have to make some big sacrifices in order to retrieve it before Shadowkeepers can get their claws on it and hand it over to an even greater evil! Kirov continues this enjoyable series by continuing the same charm and energy as the previous installment. What terrible price will Nick have to pay to keep his family safe?
Gail Carriger
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Review pertains to the uncorrected advanced copy in paperback. Much smaller than the first book this sophomore effort is more a novella than a full on book. I'm not complaining. I believe the novella is a very underrated word length, but I can't imagine that was what the publisher asked for. That said, on to the review...

Cousins Nick and Isabella are at it again, learning their craft as magickeepers while trying to prevent yet another crisis amongst the community. Damien, the family leader and
Ryan
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Very consistent with the first book - not entirely sure why I like it except that I like the magical ideas. Its sort of Harry Potter in Vegas - different approach to the magical world that lives alongside the non-magical world.
Mark Buxton
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
My name is Isabella, and my worst nightmare has reappeared. Maria, daughter of Rasputin, has returned and wants to steal my essence. Nick and I saw her in the stables with a jackal and ravens, and we later saw an evil-looking woman enter our hotel wearing black and a headdress of black feathers. Magicians from all over the world have come to our Las Vegas home for an annual conference, but something terrible just happened. Shadowkeepers stole the Pyramid of Souls, and it's clear Rasputin is ...more
April
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Magickeepers: The Pyramid of Souls is an incredibly unique, entertaining and addicting blend of history, magic and slight adolescent angst. When I discovered the release of this second in the Magickeepers series (The first is titled Magickeepers: The Eternal Hourglass) I was ecstatic. Yes, technically this is a Juvenile Fiction/Middle Grade level book, and I am far beyond that age range, however the way that the author, Erica Kirov, writes, she is able to easily engulf a vast audience of greatly ...more
Haley Mathiot
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Series Review:

I really enjoyed the Magickeeper series! It's written for ages 8-14, but even I got really into it and enjoyed it a lot.

The stories were both woven well, with plenty of mystery and suspense to keep you reading. Once I started to read, it was hard to put it down. I never knew what to expect and was always surprised. It was like walking through a fun-house: you never knew what was going to be around the corner.

My favorite characters had to be Nick and Isabella, followed closely by
Katieb (MundieMoms)
I hadn't read the first book in the series when I received The Pyramid of Souls, and was still able to get into the story. I think Erica did a great job by giving enough back story from what happened in the first book to follow Nick's journey in this great sequel.

Nick is still struggling with learning his Russian heritage. He's having a hard time with learning what his tutor Theo is teaching, and most importantly, he feels he's not living up to being a great Magician like his cousin Damian is
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Kate
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
After reading the first novel in the series, I was excited and hesitant to begin the second. I went into the novel hoping that this time I would be able to have a better connection with the novel and its characters. And I am happy to say that I did connect more with The Pyramid of Souls than I had expected.

Nick is struggling. You name it and he is probably having a hard time with it. He cannot get his magic just right, he thinks he is disappointing his cousin, the magnificent Damien, and he is a
Cindy Hudson
Jun 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Nick is tired of living in the Las Vegas hotel/casino that acts as the cover for his magical family. All he gets to eat is Russian food, all he does is practice magic, and his older cousins keep access to the outside world at a minimum for him. So hes excited to think of a whole convention of Magickeepers, the guardians of magic in the world, coming to his hotel. But then he discovers that Shadowkeepers plan to target the convention, and Nick and his cousin Isabella are in danger of having their ...more
William Bentrim
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Magickeepers: Pyramid of Souls by Erica Kirov

This is a captivating little book about a magical family. Nick Rostovs place in the family and is ability to survive the families enemies provides the focus of the book. His new cousin, Isabella is his major sidekick.

The theft of the Pyramid of Souls is the quest in this story. There is magic, elephants, tigers, pyramids and more magic. The defining of the worlds magic users into good and evil provides the friction that moves the story. I enjoyed
Aurora Batty
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
Angela
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book two doesn't disappoint! It seems that each entry in the series will center on a magical artifact. The Pyramid of Souls is very dangerous in the wrong hands and once again the cousins have to battle the evil sorcerer Rasputin and his daughter to save the artifact and the family (possibly the world!). These are quick inventive reads with lots of action and cool characters. There are family secrets hinted at in the first and second book but the biggest reveal (I can guess what it is) hasn't ...more
Miss Clark
Alice T
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Similar to the first book in the series, Pyramid of Souls was easy and fast to read. I would've liked a little more details about Maria, Miranda and the Pyramid of Souls and how it works. The story felt a little hurried or rather, not as much details were added. The history of the Pyramid of Souls and its keeper was interesting. Not as good as the first book but I liked it well enough. Looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Jessica
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
www.2thepointbooks.blogspot.com

I was quite a bit disappointed in this book. For such a short book (less than 100 pages), you'd think that the action/plot would be roaring from the start, but alas, with "The Pyramid of Souls," it does not. In fact, it take half the book for any semblance of plot to kick in. And the problem/solution was exactly the same as in the first book. I hate cookie-cutter books, and this one was definitely one.
Will not be reading any more in the series.
Amanda
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loved this just as much as the first; can't wait for more in the series! This one definitely flew by faster than the first book. Love how the author weaves history into the storyline.

***Update: January 2014: needed to re-read this so that I could be current for reading the 3rd book for the 1st time. Loved it just as much the 2nd time.
Jacob
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the first one. Even more than halfway through the book the story is still trying to explain some of what happened in the first book for those who didn't read it, and it feels like the real story doesn't start until the last quarter. Still, it's quite readable and I appreciate the reference to a local mystery, D. B. Cooper.
Cindy
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was better then the first book. Erica Kirov really grows as a writer with this novel. It was a bit less draggy and the characters acted a bit more mature. Still a novel for children but a lot more enjoyable then the first :)
Erin Stuhlsatz
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, sff
Book 2!

Again, Nick disobeys his smarter and more powerful uncles in order to run off and fight the bad guys on his own. Weirdly, he wins again. But the book was very fun, and there was an elderly elephant (think, Alexander the Great) who was my favorite character.
Kirsten
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this with my 10 year old. He loved it, I enjoyed it as well. I the story wasn't very long, which made it a quick read, but I wanted it to last longer, I kind of felt like it was cut a little short. I am excited to read the next in the series.
Lara ♥
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book, for me, satisfied my thirst for the adventure. Though I am still quite annoyed with how Kolya usually handles things (which is so troublesome), it is good that he manages to survive. I love Theo by the way.
Angela
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Just as good as the first, though I wish they would have included two guest characters a little more. I enjoy the references back to historical figures it's fun.
Olivia M
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was good book. It truly thought it showed how much Nick cared for his family. Isabell shined in this book as well as giving some past about her.
Elevetha
2.5 stars. It was all right. Nothing special.
Sam
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing tale that leaves you wanting more!
Leann J.
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
*3.75 stars
Lacey
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
More troubles for Nick and his family as they battle Rasputin and try to keep their family and magic safe. What is the importance of their new elephant? Find out in book two of the series.
Melti
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
imo, it's not as thrilling as the 1st book. but it was ok.
Kaitlyn Newcomb
I liked this book a lot but I felt the book needed more...like there was a lot missing from the book.

• Dormia (Dormia, #1)
  • The Neighbor (The City, #0.5)
  • The Silent Corner (Jane Hawk, #1)
  • The Whispering Room (Jane Hawk, #2)
  • The Waitress
  • The Girl of Ink and Stars
  • The Island at the End of Everything
  • The Sleeper and the Spindle
  • Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field
  • The Crooked Sixpence (The Uncommoners #1)
  • Persuading Annie
  • A Sister's Gift
  • The Liar’s Daughter
  • Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Winter Turning (Wings of Fire, #7)
  • Escaping Peril (Wings of Fire, #8)
  • The Unicorn Chronicles (The Unicorn Chronicles #1-2)
  • The Tale of Genji
Erica Kirov is a pseudonym of Erica Orloff.

Magickeepers (3 books)
  • The Eternal Hourglass (Magickeepers, #1)
  • The Chalice of Immortality (Magickeepers #3)