Start by marking “Dying for Mercy (KEY News, #10)” as Want to Read:
Dying for Mercy (KEY News, #10)

Dying for Mercy (KEY News #12)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  1,007 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
“[Clark] deftly combines the clue-searching and puzzle-solving fun of mysteries with the action-packed, emotion-driven narrative thrust of thrillers.”

Pittsburgh Tribune Review

“One of Clark’s—and the genre’s—best.”

Associated Press

A very suspicious death and a sprawling mansion with secrets and puzzles built into the very architecture are among the elements that make Dyi
Published July 28th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 28th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dying for Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying for Mercy

Diane
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Enjoyed the writing and the characters.
RJ
Apr 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Susan
Aug 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a religious mystery that echoes 'The DaVinci Code' keep looking. This book isn't it. It's silly and mediocre at its best moments. The author constantly refers to the "intricate and ingenious" puzzle created by the character who commited... get this... suicide by stigmata. The repetitious description of the "intricate and ingenious" puzzle is a blatant attempt to pander to readers in the hopes they will admire her ability to write such a puzzle. The puzzle isn't intricate o ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
When death shatters the serenity of the exclusive moneyed enclave of Tuxedo park , New york, Eliza Blake co host of Key to America the countrys premier morning television show is on the scene. The host of the lavish gala is found dead- a groteque suicide, that is the first act in a macabre and intricately concieved plan to expose the sins of the past involving some of the town,s most revered citizens. The mansion Pentimento holds the key it is actually one giant puzzle . But just when Eliza unea ...more
Michelle
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
mystery, interesting characters, nice story line.
Fanny
Sep 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did my mom give me this book? Does she hate me? Did I do something cruel to her? Would she do that to my sister too? These are some of the questions I had time to think about while reading this book. It was so bad. SO BAD. I read the entire thing thinking that something, ANYTHING, would happen at some point. It did not. The characters, the writing and the story are terrible. I wanted to read something light while writing my thesis, I now am absolutely ready to read the most boring academic b ...more
Loretta
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another in the Eliza Blake's series. Her friend, Innes Wheelock, kills himself by stigmata, using knife/spear in the way Jesus was crucified. Before he committed suicide, he talked with Eliza, hinting that she needed to solve this puzzle. But she is stumped, until other murders happened with the staging of the ways Jesus was injured. There are lots of suspects as Eliza and her team move through the clues that Innes has left.
Ryan
This was my very first book that I won off a blog once I started blogging and entering giveaways and for that reason alone it will always hold a special place in my heart. I am a humongous fan of mystery novels never strayed to far from Agatha Christie, the Jessica Fletcher books, and a few other favorite authors. So when I received this book I was excited to read it.

What I did not know at the time was that it is part of a series and that there are quite a few books that take place before this o
Mary
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Heureusement que ce livre a un bon rythme et se lit vite sinon je ne pense pas que je l'aurai fini. J'en était arrivée à ce que l'intrigue et l'enquête ne me fassent ni chaud ni froid.
Ce qui a le plus éveillé mon intérêt dans ce livre est l'histoire des meurtres mis en scène pour représenter des scènes de la Bible mais tout ceci est vite retombé à plat, tout comme mon intérêt.

Cela dit pour être tout à fait juste il s'agit du Tome 12 de la série Key News, cela fait donc 11 tomes que les lecteur
Kiki
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short chapters and multiple point of views make for an interesting compliment to this novel which seems to mix suspense fiction with aspects of both mystery and thriller genres. The story is fast-paced as the author quickly moves you from one head into another. Yet, the puzzle you are trying to get all of the pieces to is very complex. The pages of “Dying for Mercy” are layered with not only slightly obscure, yet auspicious clues, but also a wealth of suspicious characters.

One particular, anonym
Laura de Leon
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
A quick moving, entertaining mystery. I'm not entirely sure it all held together, but I'm not going to worry too much about it.

My first experience with the author was with her more recent To Have and to Kill: A Wedding Cake Mystery. I thought her writing style didn't work well with the cozy mystery, but thought it might work better with this series, which seemed a little grittier.

I was right about that. My guess that her TV experience would lend some appeal to her writing about a TV morning show
Kristen
I enjoyed this story. It was sort of a combination mystery/suspense/puzzlebox. There are a large number of characters in the book, but the author does a good job of both developing them naturally so you gradually gain the information you need if you want to try to figure out the puzzles that are part of the plot, and describing them well enough that you can get to know them all better as the story progresses.

The story itself is clever and interesting, with the person who has initiated the variou
Mackenzie
I liked it well enough. When I was in middle school, I read every Mary Higgins Clark book the library had and have since read every one she's written. While they've declined in quality, i really missed reading them and have been looking for readalikes. Someone suggested her daughter-in-law, so I picked this one up at the library after reading the description. I had high expectations based on that description, and while this book didn't necessarily meet them it was still enjoyable and nice to ret ...more
Richard
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written book that will keep you intrigued and entertained right to the end. The husband of a former governor of New York and ambassador to Italy in Rome, confides to an important and influential female TV newcaster during a party at his newly renovated mansion. He is counting on her to right the wrongs that were committed many years ago.

When the host of this party commits suicide by stigmata, using the wounds of Christ inflicted at His crucification, the newscaster realizes what h
Christine
Glenajo
Eliza Blake, a TV morning show host, attends a party where Ennis, the host of the party, commits suicide by stigmata. After several days, Eliza realizes that Ennis left a puzzle especially for her to solve. Someone quickly steps in to murder anyone close to the story to prevent the secret from coming to light and with many possible players, it could be anyone.

I should begin by saying that I did not realize that this was the third in a series, and after I began, I realized that I was missing seve
Lisa Rathbun
I enjoyed this murder mystery. There was an intricate puzzle, admittedly a bit implausible but still enjoyable to read about. The language was restrained with very little profanity and no detailed sensual scenes. The setting of Tuxedo Park reminded me a bit of the "cottages" built around Lenox, my home town in the Berkshires in MA, although thankfully none of those mansions were walled off into their own enclave; instead many of them can be seen from the road (although not all). Of course, most ...more
Julie
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty satisfying. Combination mystery/ thriller in Mary Higgins Clark style. One of the problems with having a recurring character is that putting her in danger isn't all that suspenseful since we know she has to be around in the next book. That said, the people around her are not so safe. I liked the premise--that a man has found religion and has decided to commit suicide (alright, that IS a contradiction in terms) and does it in such a bizarre way that it points to clues he has left to ...more
Ramona
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Jane Clark writes an excellent mystery thriller with many twists & turns set in an elite gated community where everyone feels safe leaving their doors unlocked and keys in their cars until suicide & murders begin to take place among Tuxedo Park's privileged residents. Enjoyed trying to figure out the puzzle that Innis Wheelock leaves for tv morning cohost and friend, Eliza Blake to figure out. Although I was able to figure out many things as I read, the ending was still a surprise f ...more
Sharon Mensing
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to be able to see so many of the locations in my mind as I was reading, and to imagine which real places the author was referring to with fabricated names. This was a mystery that had to be set in Tuxedo Park, or a place like it (are there any other places like it?). The story was plot-driven, and Tuxedo Park was as much a character as any of the people were. While the writing was pedestrian, it didn't get in the way of the story, a requirement for something non-literary like this. Al ...more
Shonda
Oct 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
Following the kidnapping of her daughter, Janie, Eliza Blake decides to rent a house in prestigious Tuxedo Park, New York. She’s invited to a party and before the night ends, the host commits suicide by stigmata. As Eliza and her colleagues, AKA the Sunshine Suspense Society, begin to investigate, they realize he left clues behind that will piece together a cover-up that happened years ago. Can Eliza and her friends find the killer’s identity before they become the next victims?
Kitty
Mar 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliza Blake is a television morning news personality. She attends a gala and her host commits suicide in a bizarre manner, by stigmata! As she begins to try to investigate why, other persons in the host's "circle" are murdered, also bizarrely. Just what is going on, and can our heroine survive the murders? Wealth and privilege have been holding on to some dark secrets for 20 years...Will they now be revealed?
Dawn
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a review, just a funny story...

I was reading this book while waiting in the doctor's office to have a cyst removed from my noggin when Steve pointed out that a picture on the opposite wall was the mirror image of the picture on the book jacket. And then he pointed out the title and asked if I thought there was any connection between my death and my procedure. Thankfully, the answer was no.

And I really liked this book a lot in spite of his comments!
Susan Ryan
Eliza Bake attends a party honoring St. Francis Assisi. Her friend committed suicide at the party and 4 murders followed that. Eliza and Mac had their car ran off the road and seriously injuring Mac. You keep trying to guess who is killing everyone. This books will keep you reading until the very end. I highly recommend it.
Carol
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast read, good mystery. The only thing I didn't like was the overuse of - I'm not sure what to call it - foreshadowing chapter ends? The chapters are quite short, some as small as a half a page, and many of them ended with vague but ominous suggestions of what could be coming. TOO many such endings for me.
Carrie
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Rosemary
She writes a good hard to put down page-turner. The kind you want when you're on the treadmill or you need to escape for a couple of hours. I've read several of her books and she seems to be getting better. Same format as Mary Higgins Clark. Short chapters, lots of people look guilty, hard to pick "who done it."
Kristin
This isn't the most well-written book by any shot. It is a quick, fun read. The chapters are insanely short though. I agree she is trying to cash in on the Dan Brown trend. I would call this book a water downed version of Dan BRown, Dan Brown for dummies if you will. However, having read her previous works, it was nice to read about characters I knew. Also, I like the news industry aspect
Sharon A.
I liked this book in spite of the predictability of the mystery and the implausible plot. Seriously people were getting knocked off so quickly I wasn't sure there would be anyone left at the end of the book. I also spotted the killer almost immediately.

But that said, it's a fun, quick read. The extremely short chapters make it a great book to read in little spurts.
Tammy Curry
Sep 18, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I read about this author in the back of a magazine. I thought her books sounded interesting! So I mentioned her to a friend, who bought and read the book and thought it was fantastic! So I have the book now and am deeply engrossed right from the start. Short Chapters, great hook beginning. Love it!
writing style 1 5 Aug 31, 2009 12:14PM
  • Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery, #8)
  • Death on the Cape and Other Stories
  • Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide
  • A Higher Justice (The Trials of Kit Shannon #5)
  • A Plunder by Pilgrims (Garrison Gage, #0.5)
  • Dial Me for Murder (Paige Turner, #5)
  • The Deuce (Midtown Blue #1)
  • Gideon's Torch
  • Death Will Save Your Life (Bruce Kohler #4)
  • Bleeding Hearts (Gregor Demarkian, #11)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Close to You (KEY News #4)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • When Day Breaks (KEY News, #10; Sunrise Suspense Society #1)