Start by marking “Sonic Boom: Globalization at Mach Speed” as Want to Read:
Sonic Boom: Globalization at Mach Speed

Sonic Boom: Globalization at Mach Speed

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  127 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
What can a spell-checker tell you about economic trends? Why is the world’s supply of ideas about to double? What did America get right in the nineteenth century that it’s getting wrong in the twenty-first? If Karl Marx were alive today, would he be hosting a show on Fox News?

These are just a few of the provocative questions asked by Sonic Boom, a (mainly) optimistic look
Published December 29th 2009 by Random House (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sonic Boom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sonic Boom

Doug Cornelius
You may know Gregg Easterbrook from his previous book The Progress Paradox (one of his six books) or his articles in The Atlantic. I know him mostly from his hobby: writing the Tuesday Morning Quarterback column on ESPN.com.

Sonic Boom tries to look beyond the current recession. Easterbrook looks ahead to what to expect after we make our way out. He sees the continued growth of globalization, interconnectedness and technology improvements. That should lead to greater prosperity, knowledge growth,
Brian
Feb 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book pretty well. It is much more optimistic than many books I have read recently. The book discusses many almost ready for prime time technological advancements that could help significantly with our current energy and greenhouse gas problems. Makes the general point that many environmental problems of the past have already been significantly improved through technology. And that providing an open market place to spur innovation is the best way to get these on the cusp technologi ...more
Johnsergeant
Narrated by Gregg Easterbrook

This was an interesting audiobook. They should have had a professional read it. Mr Easterbrook sounded like someone reading a book and occasionally having problems with the words. There were a number of faux pas, which I gather from one of the other reviews were in the printed book. The one that sticks in my mind was a comment about 'Betamax vs VCR'

8 hrs and 27 mins

Publisher's Summary

Signs that the recession is about to end are here. So what comes next? Growth will r
Jonathan Hines
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
For those anxious about the future (and who isn't?), Gregg Easterbrook had you in mind when writing Sonic Boom, a big-picture analysis of globalization and its emerging trends.

Easterbrook presents a convincing case that the future is not bleak. In fact, it will likely be better than the present for hundreds of millions of people. But in exchange for new technologies, less expensive goods and greater freedoms, people (and Americans, in particular) will lose a large portion of the economic securit
Valarie
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
I didn't even finish this book because there were so many errors in the introduction alone. For example, Easterbrook claims that a few centuries ago, people on each continent didn't even know the other continents existed, which is just patently untrue if you do a little research on the global communication that was present in even prehistoric times. Easterbrook also cites a statistic on military expenditures, and then in the next chapter cites exactly the same statistic, but with a slightly diff ...more
Taran (Raj)
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great "layman's" book on globalization. Does a nice job balancing some of the goods and bads although there are definitely some underlying assumptions that stick out throughout. A nice bit of positive thinking in an area where we are mostly deluged with bad. Develops a couple of concepts really nicely. Mostly, a perfect companion to Funke's Econ. course, though not necessarily more "right" it allows one to look at both sides of the tracks, and then then find the truth somewhere in the middle.
Carl
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally read Easterbrook's ESPN.com football column. His writing style is simple, and he really has some great ideas about how to approach a future that involves more and more uncertainty (political, economic, atmospheric and otherwise). The fact that he suggests ways to solve problems, rather than ranting and complaining, is refreshing. I will seek out more books by this author.
Marysg
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an interesting book, but didn't really provide the insight that one would expect from a futuristic book. Lots of examples of businesses that have failed because they couldn't adjust. I had expected the author to take more specific views on where the world is heading. We all know it is going to change. No real news here.
Lance
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Love his sports column, didn't really get into this book.
John Trupiano
Typical Easterbrook. Overly verbose, repetitive, but a handful of interesting insights nonetheless.
Guanxi
ok book - similar to many others relative to global optimism, but some good observations on the increasing speed of everything in a city by city micro study format.
Robin
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as Progress Paradox, but many thought provoking ideas.
Lacey
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it's a little dated (it was written in 2009), it's still an interesting read on the future of the global economy.
Andrew
Dec 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but a little redundant. For the regular TMQ reader it's nice to see Easterbrook in book form, but there needed to be more substance.
Jeremy Zehr
Jun 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Bomb Power: The Modern Presidency and the National Security State
  • The Threat Matrix: The FBI at War in the Age of Global Terror
  • Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry
  • The Way Forward: Renewing the American Idea
  • The Bush Tragedy
  • One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue
  • The Devil Soldier
  • China, Inc.: How the Rise of the Next Superpower Challenges America and the World
  • Whole Earth Discipline: An Ecopragmatist Manifesto
  • Warren Buffett and the Art of Stock Arbitrage: Proven Strategies for Arbitrage and Other Special Investment Situations
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
  • Economics for the Rest of Us: Debunking the Science that Makes Life Dismal
  • Double Double: How to Double Your Revenue & Profit in 3 Years or Less
  • The Ground Truth: The Untold Story of America Under Attack on 9/11
  • Design Revolution: 100 Products That Empower People
  • The Gemini Divergence
  • Points of Departure
  • The Phone Book: The Curious History of the Book That Everyone Uses But No One Reads
I was born in Buffalo, New York and have lived there plus Boston, Brussels, Chicago, Colorado, Pakistan and Washington, D.C. My wife is a State Department official, which accounts for the globe-trotting: currently she is the #2 officer of this http://www.state.gov/j/tip. Personal globe-trotting includes time in Ecuador as Fulbright fellow. We have three children, boys born in 1989 and 1995 and a g ...more
More about Gregg Easterbrook...