Start by marking “Oedipus Rex (Greek and Latin Classics)” as Want to Read:
Oedipus Rex (Greek and Latin Classics)

Oedipus Rex (The Theban Plays #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  136,507 Ratings  ·  2,186 Reviews
'Sophocles, in a play that won only second prize, created a masterpiece that in the eyes of posterity has overshadowed every other achievement in the field of ancient drama. In it he played on certain latent terrors that are part of man's nature in all kinds of societies and at all epochs; terrors whose influence may pervade our lives in ways we scarcely guess ...' These w ...more
Published December 30th 1982 by Cambridge University Press (first published -430)

To ask other readers questions about Oedipus Rex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oedipus Rex

Lizzy
What can I say about SophoclesOedipus Rex that has not already been said? Apart from the patricide and the infamous incest, this is an ancient tale of angst and overall calamity. But since I recently revisited it, this legendary tragedy hasn’t left my mind.
"Look and learn all citizens of Thebes. This is Oedipus.
He, who read the famous riddle, and we hailed chief of men,
All envied his power, glory, and good fortune.
Now upon his head the sea of disaster crashes down.”

I felt after reading the
Renato Magalhães Rocha
"Look and learn all citizens of Thebes. This is Oedipus.
He, who read the famous riddle, and we hailed chief of men,
All envied his power, glory, and good fortune.
Now upon his head the sea of disaster crashes down.
Mortality is man’s burden. Keep your eyes fixed on your last day.
Call no man happy until he reaches it, and finds rest from suffering."

I believe that in one way or another, everyone - at least to some extent - has heard of the story of Oedipus and Jocasta. It's one of those tales that'
Bookdragon Sean
Sometimes life's a real bitch.

Fate is unavoidable in ancient Greek Tragedy. Trying to avoid it will only lead to it, and doing nothing will lead you there too. So if a God tells you that you will die at the hands of your son, and that he will then go on to steal your wife, you’d best do nothing because it’s going to happen anyway. Any preventative action you take will only lead to the same ending. So, you’re pretty much screwed. You might as well lie down and accept it. The God's are mean.

But,
Kalliope
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

THE EYE THAT DIES

I have not read Sophocles’ text recently, but listened to
this exceptional audio edition. Powerfully acted out, with an eerie chorus and dramatic music, it has been a superb experience.

I have come back to this play now in a roundabout way. As part of a Seminar on Aesthetics, The Eye that Thinks, imparted in the Prado Museum, we were prompted by our Professor Félix de Azúa to read Oedipus in a Hegelian framework. We had been discussing the contributions of Hegel to Aesthetics
Ahmad Sharabiani
Οἰδίπους Τύραννος = Oedipus the King (The Theban Plays #1), Sophocles
Oedipus Rex, also known by its Greek title, Oedipus Tyrannus (Ancient Greek: Οἰδίπους Τύραννος), or Oedipus the King, is an Athenian tragedy by Sophocles that was first performed around 429 BC. Originally, to the ancient Greeks, the title was simply Oedipus (Οἰδίπους), as it is referred to by Aristotle in the Poetics. It is thought to have been renamed Oedipus Tyrannus to distinguish it from Oedipus at Colonus. In antiquity, t
James
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to Oedipus Rex, the first of "The Theban Plays," written by Sophocles around 430 BC. If you are unfamiliar with Greek tragedies, the thing you need to know most is that the authors often played with the concept of fate: not just that some things are meant to be or to come back and haunt you, but that there is always more going on than you realize at the time. This is one of the plays you should absolutely read. Although borderline spoiler, it's important to know 1
Hend
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oedipus of Sophocles is a great work of art written by a great poet,this play symbolizes for the human misery and despair...
the torments of the human soul,the innocence and guilt,Wisdom Out of Suffering and Fate that determines many things no matter how we struggle to change it....
Oedipus hears about his dreadful fate from the Delphic oracle and flees from Corinth. But instead of fleeing from his fate he runs into it...

Oedipus a passionate heart,who ask questions and take risks,has all the quali
Pantelis
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cheryl
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd say "spoiler alert" but it seems ridiculous . . .

I've taught this play for years, and I think this year I finally decided what makes this play great. My students never feel sympathy for Macbeth, but they do for Oedipus, and that always used to bother me. They whine in their teenage attitudinal voices, "But he didn't know that was his father." I always respond, "So it's ok to KILL PEOPLE if they're not your father?!"

In identifying with Oedipus, they forget the nature of the atrocities he co
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2017-reads
“Fear? What has a man to do with fear? Chance rules our lives, and the future is all unknown. Best live as we may, from day to day.”
Lyn
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm being irreverent, but whenever I think of this work I cannot help recalling Mel Brooks in History of the World Part 1.

Apart from the legendary, and infamous, incest, this is an ancient tale of psychological terror and angst. Human nature does not change and the themes Sophocles explored are still relevant today, this is truly a timeless work.

description
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clásicos, 2017
Pensaba que me iba a costar leerlo por el lenguaje pero para nada ha sido así. Es muy fácil de leer, y aunque es una historia que todos conocemos hay algún momento de sorpresa.
La única pega que le pongo es que es muy corto, podían haber dado algún rodeo en lugar de ir tan al grano, pero aún así he disfrutado mucho leyéndolo.
Foad
نمايشنامه ى مشهور اديپ شهريار، يكى از بزرگترين تراژدى هاى يونان باستان.
از لحاظ داستان، واقعاً اعجاب انگيزه. داستان ابتدا با معمايى شروع ميشه كه نجات شهر "تِبس" از نابودى به حل اون بسته است، ولى هيچ كس جوابش رو نميدونه. بعد كم كم كه معما حل ميشه، پاسخ وحشتناك و تراژيكش آشكار ميشه و نجات شهر از نابودى، به بهاى بسيار سنگينى حاصل ميشه. اين روش طرح معما و حل مرحله به مرحله ش، بسيار شبيه به داستان هاى جنايى امروزيه، و از خيلى از اين داستان ها به مراتب بهتره.
اما اثر، طبعاً به مقتضاى زمان نگارشش، مشكلات
Jenny
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"[...] Θα το νιώσεις
με τον καιρό καλά,τι ο χρόνος μόνο
τον τίμιο άντρα φανερώνει· όμως
το φαύλο σε μια μέρα τον γνωρίζεις."

David Sarkies
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody
Recommended to David by: David Hester
Shelves: tragedy
The Ultimate of Greek Tragedies
8 April 2012

This play is so messed up that a part of me says that it has to be based on true events. It is sort of like one of the arguments that people use regarding the authenticity of the Bible: every character (with the exception of Jesus Christ) is so flawed that one cannot consider that the stories have been made up. In particular we see the heroes of the Israelite nation, that being Abraham, Moses, and David, warts and all. However when us consider the Grec
✨    jamieson   ✨
honestly, I feel bad for Oedipus. He left his house to do the right thing and try to avoid killing his dad, just to come across his real dad and kill him anyway. It's really unfortunate and it really sucks for him. And then he had to go and skewer his eyeballs like yikes he's not having a good time, is he ?

RIP Oedipus eyes, I'm sorry this happened to you. Honestly, I know this play is super tragic, and it actually is interesting how he tried to avoid his fate which led to him fulfilling it anywa
Bam
This is my first reading of the ancient Greek play. Like so many stories that are part of our cultural consciousness, I thought I was very familiar with the plot but was so wrong. I asked my husband what he knew of Oedipus Rex and he said the same thing I was thinking: man murders his father and marries his mother=oedipus complex ala Dr Sigmund Freud.

That, of course, is what happens but the true tragedy is that it was not intended. In the opening scenes of the play, Thebes has been plagued by f
Mahdi Lotfabadi
یک تراژدی به تمام معنا فوقالعاده! واقعاً آدم نمیدونه چی بگه دربارهی نمایشنامهای که 2500 سال پیش نوشته شده و انقدر حرفهای داستانپردازی شده و انقدر دیالوگهاش قویه! شدیداً توصیه میشه خوندنش! ...more
Reckoner
Σύμφωνα με τον Αριστοτέλη το συγκεκριμένο έργο αποτελεί την τελειότερη τραγωδία. Έχει μια στυνομική πλοκή, διαπνέεται απο μια μεγαλειώδη τραγικότητα και ειρωνεία, λογοτεχνικά παιχνίδια και συμβολισμούς(σταυροδρόμι=σημείο μοιραίων αποφάσεων/Οιδίποδας=αυτός που έχει πρησμένα πόδια+ γνωρίζει και το τρίτο πόδι του αινίγματος της Σφήκας). Ο Σοφοκλής ενδιαφέρεται για τα όρια της ανθρώπινης γνώσης. Πόση αλήθεια μπορεί να αντέξει ο άνθρωπος ?? Εξέρχεται ηττημένος αλλα πιο σοφός. Η τύφλωση του περα απο τ ...more
Bruce
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all know the story that this play tells; it has been part of the cultural heritage that most of us have known for as long as we can remember, and many of us have read it any number of times. Each reading brings new insights, new questions, and rather than tell the story once again, I prefer to dwell on the thoughts and questions that this reading brought to my mind.

Wherein lies the Evil in this play? In the prophecy and, apparently, the determinism of the gods that Oedipus will kill his fathe
Kaion
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play, essential
What's interesting about fate, and what's different from our world and Oedipus's, is that "fate" doesn't really exist in our world. No real oracles go around telling you you're going to sleep with your mother. Instead, it's a philosophical device. On one side you've got "free will" (traditional very Western, very American even with the idea of the individual going forward), and on the other side you've got your fatalists (see my mom and her Vietnamese cosmology [is that the word? Whatever, I’m g ...more
Marty :}
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I actually like this one better than Antigone, the subject is very disturbing, but I liked the writing a lot.
Danger
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG this Oedipus dude just totally banged out his own mom LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLZ

But really, there were descendants whose genetic makeup is irrevocably tied into my own that were walking the Earth when Sophocles wrote this play. And here I am, in 2017, thousands of years later, reading it. Literature serves humanity in subtle yet profound ways; it is one of the only bridges we have into the psychology of the past. The world is so goddamn complicated. Reading books like t
Yann

Il est un être à deux pieds, trois pieds, quatre pieds sur la terre, mais une seule voix: il est seul à changer de nature parmi les êtres qui vont sur la terre, dans l'air, dans les vagues: lorsque prenant appui sur le plus de pieds il chemine, c'est alors que la rapidité de son corps est la moindre.
(Anthologie Palatine, XIV, 64)

Juste une petite relecture rapide d'Œdipe (prononcé édipe) Roi de Sophocle avant d'en traduire plusieurs passage, histoire de bien avoir l'histoire en tête.

Œdipe (lit
David Gallagher
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a student in a Greek high school I was more or less forced to read this, translate it from the ancient Greek text for my exams to "prove" I deserved to go to the next educational level (where we did Homer), do assignments on it, listen to my professors as they spoke of its "meaning" and ask myself why Sophocles wrote it to begin with. And I HATED the damn thing. I hated Oedipus just as much as I hated Sophocles.

However, when I left high school, I realized that people - not only in Greece, bu
Evandro
Já tinha lido esta peça muitos anos atrás. Mas agora li-a com muito mais proveito, pois li a Ilíada recentemente e estava, portanto, muito mais familiarizado com o "espírito" grego. E a tradução portuguesa da Edições 70, apesar de ser em prosa, é de leitura muito, muito poética, como aliás é tão típico dos portugueses. As frases são tão bem redigidas, a sonoridade é tão bem construída e natural ao mesmo tempo! Foi um grande prazer.

Quanto ao conteúdo, uma das coisas que mais me marcaram foi a idé
Ali
Apr 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tragedies, great-ones
Tragedy is the end of the big famous fight between the free human being and the Gods, where Gods (fate) always win. Odipus is a big winner who loose to the Gods.
اودیپوس شاه، مشهورترین تراژدی سوفوکلس، در باره ی ستیز اودیپوس با تقدیر خویش است. اودیپوس که برخلاف همه ی دیگران، تقدیر خویش را می داند، هر چه از آن بیشتر می گریزد، در چنبر آن گرفتارتر می شود.
سه گانه ی سوفوکلس (ادیپوس شاه، ادیپوس در کولونوس، انتیگونه) را ابتدا محمد سعیدی به فارسی برگردانده که در اواسط دهه ی سی شمسی توسط بنگاه ترجمه و نشر
غزل أدم
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
بعد قرأتى لتاجر البندقية لشكسبير قرأت العديد من الكلاسكيات لعلى أجد ما يمتعنى بقدرها لكن مع الأسف لم يحالفنى الحظ إلى أن وجدت ضلتى فى أوديب ملكا فبمجرد قرأتى للسطر الأول لم أستطع التوقف حتى أنهايتها لا تشعر معها بالملل فأحداثها المتسرعة تأسرك وأتمنى أن تكون باقى الأجزاء على نفس القدر
GZN
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bir solukta okunan çarpıcı bir tragedya. Oidipus'un başına gelecekleri bile bile gerçeği öğrenme tutkusu muazzam anlatılmış. Bir ara sahnede izlemeyi çok isterim.
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, in terms of quality this is a 5-star play (best plot of anything ever, and some of the most haunting speeches in all of literature). The translation I read (Paul Roche's) favored precision over readability, which meant the strophe/antistrophe sections were a bit unwieldy. Also, Jocasta. This play obviously needed more Jocasta. Still, if you haven't read this, what are you doing with your life.
Goodreads Librari...: Kung Oidipus by Sophocles - book cover, book description 1 19 Feb 25, 2017 12:19PM
Around the Year i...: Oedipus Rex, by Sophocles 4 17 Feb 19, 2017 09:21AM
Oedipus Rex Review 1 10 May 23, 2016 08:45AM
Crash Course Lite...: Oedipus Rex 1 12 Feb 22, 2014 08:35PM
  • Alcestis
  • Clouds
  • Eumenides (Ορέστεια, #3)
  • Tartuffe
Sophocles (born c. 496 bc, Colonus, near Athens [Greece]—died 406, Athens), (Greek: Σοφοκλής; German editions: Sophokles, Russian: Софокл, French editions: Sophocle) was an ancient Greek tragedy playwright. Not many things are known about his life other than that he was wealthy, well educated and wrote about one hundred and twenty three plays (of which few are extant). One of his best known plays ...more
More about Sophocles...

The Theban Plays (3 books)
  • Oedipus at Colonus (The Theban Plays, #2)
  • Antigone (The Theban Plays, #3)
“To throw away an honest friend is, as it were, to throw your life away” 263 likes
“I have no desire to suffer twice, in reality and then in retrospect.” 171 likes