Start by marking “Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 4

Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 4 (Death Note: Black Edition #4)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  2,518 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews

Reads R to L (Japanese Style), for audience T+.

Contains Volumes 7 and 8 of Death Note! Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospectsand he’s bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the

Paperback, Black Edition, 416 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by TOKYOPOP GmbH (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note

Giovanna
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
3.5

I mean...you can't deny it: same person.

Volumes 1-2 (1 to 4, considering that the Black Edition contains 2 volumes) are stillmy favourites. This one is better than vol.3, but still, Mello and Near are not that interesting.
Lauren
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Let's just say my head is swimming right now with all of the twists and turns Ohba introduced. Honestly, I don't know how he keeps track of what's happening *clutches head*

This fourth instalment really cranks up the action and whilst reading this I felt pretty tense throughout. The artwork is stunning...although I am shocked and deeply saddened by the absence of one character in particular!!!

I don't think my poor heart will ever mend :'(
Nerdish Mum
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I've already watched the anime, the big shocker that happened wasn't a big shocker to me. However it still annoyed me enough to dock a star as I feel that if this was going to happen (and believe me I wanted this to happen) it needed to be the end of the story instead of carrying it all on with a different name. However I am still thoroughly enjoying the absurdity of the logic and the creepiness of Light as we go along. I enjoyed the kidnapping story arc as I thought it brought something new ...more
Roxanne
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
They really did that, livid.
Connie
Caprice Rose
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Victoria
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series is so crazy and chaotic! You never really know what's going to happen. For instance, I didn't expect something to happen to a certain main character. It took me by surprise when I first saw the anime and yet again I felt the same way with the manga. I just love how it has me at the edge of my seat.
Mel
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5. There was a certain event I didn't think I could get past but I adored this one. It's getting better than 3 was!
Sandra Miksa
I'm loving the addition of characters like L - Mello and Near. It makes the readers think that all hope is not lost, which is great. The story still draws me in but it's not the same without the dynamic with L for this one; I am hoping that things will pick up in the next manga bind up.
Chloe
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.

Rating - 4/5
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Curiouser and curiouser
מונטסרת
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
As always, absolutely brilliant and stunning.
Joseph Hare
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This volume of Death Note is awesome. I remember when I finished reading the first volume I was pretty sure I knew what the whole series would consist of, I imagined it would all be just the same battle between Kira and L, and every time one side would come closer to winning something would stop it and everything would balance out again for a new load of chapters. I was wrong, totally wrong. This manga has more twists and turns in one volume than your regular epic fantasy book.
The Death Note its
Gav451
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Much of what I have written about the previous volumes still applies here and I am not going to deal with any specifics of the plot as the last this anyone needs in this collection are spoilers.

To remind us then:-

Great Art - Check
Good writing - Check
Surprisingly cerebral tale - Check
Close attention to detail - Check
Lots of internal monologues - Check.
Not that much ‘action’ - Check

So why is this so good? Because once you are into the ebb and flow of the story and once you realise that you really
Teya Agnese
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
(CONTAINS SPOILERS)
Oh my ... Everything seemed to happen in this book!!! Lights plan went ahead as he wanted it too, a few characters died, we met some new and important characters to the story and suspense just filled the room whilst I read this book!

However, towards the end, the way that light has been treating Misa is starting to irk me a bit but didn't ruin the story as u can feel the tension building up between them... It'll all build up for the ending!
Reggie
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, read-in-2016
Probably my favorite volume so far. Very action packed and eventful. Light is getting creepier and creepier as things process and the introduction of new characters has me fascinated. Picking up volume 5 immediately.
Florence
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one definitely picked up the pace compared to the last volume. I am really liking the plot and i just need to know what happens!
Kimaya
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
For a long time (okay from Volume 1 to Volume 3) I thought this was one of the best manga ever. Not just manga, but simply one of the most complex and twisty tale I have ever come across. And then I read Volume 4 and ......

I don't think I am going to be finishing this series. (view spoiler)
Garrett
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Death note continues to be well written, well plotted and relentlessly entertaining with twists and turns around every corner. There is nothing predictable about this series and I just can’t put it down.
Erica Hughes | ericasbookshelves
Actually a 2.5/5⭐
Cristina
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
NOO, WHY?? ;(
Jay
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I'd actually like this series but after reading it, it gets you wanting more and more. It's like when a show ends for a season and you have to wait to see what happens in the next season premiere. This is the same thing. It leaves you wanting more.
Edward Cheer
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was strange to see such an excellent story-arc end... and get replaced with something that didn't need to be there. It feels like halfway through Volume IV, the original "Death Note" story ended, and when Mello and Near entered, so began the sequel, "Death Note II". If I could have rated the end of Light vs. L story, I would have given this five stars. But this second part of the story is really odd, and comes out of nowhere. For one, it introduces a whole bunch of new characters, completely ...more
Ashrakat Deyab
Ash
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2016-read, japanese
Volume 7 was probably the best so far. It was action packed and too good.
However volume 8 was not that great and it is probably my least favorite volume so far. I wasn't too impressed with the new characters and storyline.
Now onto the next book.
Sarah Telling
I'm hooked! Things are really getting complex and I can't wait to see what the characters will do to solve their problems. How many people will die? How will they die? Who will be leveraged? I'll need to read the next book to find out :-)
Mary
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this volume is really a game changer! Light's plan is revealed, L faces his toughest challenge yet, and new, intriguing characters are introduced. Can't say much more specifics than that without giving away plot that shouldn't be spoiled. Definitely invested in the series now!
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 7
  • Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Age of Godpunk: Collecting Age of Anansi, Age of Satan and Age of Gaia
  • 黒執事 XXI [Kuroshitsuji XXI]
  • Naruto (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes Vols. 1, 2 & 3 (Naruto: Omnibus, #1)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • The Heart Rate of a Mouse (The Heart Rate of a Mouse, #1-9)
  • コープスパーティー BloodCovered 1 [Corpse Party - Blood Covered 1]
  • Another: 0
  • Blood-C, Vol. 01 (Blood-C, #1)
  • Death Note: L, Change the WorLd
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 6 [Tokyo Guru 6] (Tokyo Ghoul, #6)
Tsugumi Ōba (Profile in Japanese: 大場 つぐみ), born in Tokyo, Japan, is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His/her real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ōba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is spe
More about Tsugumi Ohba

Death Note: Black Edition (6 books)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 1
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 2
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 3
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 5
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 6

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99