Start by marking “The Charmer (Liar's Club, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Charmer (Liar's Club, #4)

The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,297 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Collis Tremayne could make any female swoon; yet no one would guess the hidden desperation that drove him to become the most skilled spy in service to the Crown. All that stands in his way...is Rose Lacey, a confounding chit who manages to outsmart him with cunning and courage. She is the only woman he cannot melt with his smile. With every breath, he wishes he never laid ...more
Published December 29th 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published October 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Charmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charmer

MissCherry
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi preferido de la saga de los Mentirosos. Una pena que no llegase a España. Collis es...asdfghjklñ un autentico amor y Rose es fuerte y decidida, juntos tienen unos tiras y afloja la mar de divertidos que hacen que pases capitulo a capitulo sin parar.
Kusanagi
Comment dire... ce livre part des fois dans des situations peut-être exagérée.... on voit venir certaines péripéties à 3 kilomètres (mêem par temps de brouillard....) mais... Collis ♥ et Rose ♥ ils sont choupis ♥

D'un côté Rose Lacey, que nous croisons dans le tome 2 (c'est la servante maltraité qui prete sa place à Clara). Rose qui de petite chose terrifiée (et sous-nourrie et épuisée et maltraitée) du tome 2 est devenue ici une jeune femme qui a décidé de prendre son destin en main, et de tout
Ruth
A butt-kickin' ex-housemaid spy heroine and a disfigured, but gorgeous hero suffering from brittle self-confidence all wrapped up in Regency espionage. What is there not to like? The use of the Prince Regent as a character is excellent, and he appears as he should -vain, indulged, overweight, impetuous and intelligent, under-appreciated and infectious fun. The plot is fast from the start and the dialog is witty and quick, although some of the language whilst fruity isn't strictly from the period ...more
Foggygirl
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Collis and Rose they had the best "on page" sparkage of any of the main characters thus far in the series so the final installment will have to really keep up the pace story and action wise. The only false note was the villain in the story wasn't really villainous enough but you can't have everything right?
alexis
Every time I read another book from this series I just fade into the void....

One thing I did like was one of the very last scenes when George says he doesn't know what rose was talking about .. good trope. Other than that I was not moved to look past the regency spy romance tropes this falls victim to.
Nanou
hiiiiiiiiiiii Colliiiiiis ♥♥♥♥♥
catechism
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, sexytimes
These get less and less enjoyable. I liked Collis in the previous books but not in this one, the plot was pretty lackluster, and every time someone called the prince regent "fruity" I got more pissed off.
Elis Madison
Collis Tremayne is the de-facto heir to Lord Etheridge (Dalton Montmorency in The Impostor). His nemesis is Rose Lacey, who used to be a servant in a traitor's house, and is the first woman to be accepted for training to become a Liar. And the problem is, she's kicking his butt. Anything he can do, she can do better. He has an excuse for some of it—he was injured in the war and one of arms is just dead weight—but what man wants to make excuses for getting his arse kicked by a girl?

After their ri
Mojca
Rose Lacey and Collis Tremayne are fellow trainees for the Liar's Club. The two are at the top of their "class" and are expected to "graduate" shortly.

The rivalry that's brought them so far, is now the only thing keeping them from achieving the goal. The two just can't seem to be able to work together. And they profoundly dislike each other to boot.

To smooth things over, and as punishment for their latest mess, the pair is sent on a test mission. They have to infiltrate a house, find the proof a
Lea Bourg'
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book of the Liar's Club with this time the courageous Rose =)
Spy in the making, Rose is in trouble up to the neck. Due to an unfortunate incident, Rose has been entrusted with a task test to determine whether she can become the first Liar woman. Unfortunately, she has to team up with the handsome but arrogant Collis Tremayne with whom she can't help squabbling. But with one folder exchanged, the discovery of a dangerous secret, the charm of Collis and a getaway with Prince George in t
The UHQ Nasanta
TINNGG
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
:thud: Hahahahahah! The h's ability to toss the H over her shoulder and onto the floor was vastly entertaining. Too bad we don't have more heroines trained in this fine art. Might teach some humiliation. I did wince though when she did this after he got his arm broken. True, he did grab her from behind.

:ahem. On to the story. The H/h had a rivalry going on, and after a challenge ended in disaster, got sent on a trial run, only that got botched, which lead to a comedy of errors that nearly got th
Serena Holland
I didn't really want to read this, but I sat down and started and was very surprised because it was very good. I enjoyed the humor, and loved that Rose was so determined to make something of herself. The only thing I didn't like was that I thought Rose would continue to work with the inventor, along with being a spy because she is so smart, and would have enjoyed reading all the books. I thought that was hinted in the book, but since it didn't happen I was kind of disappointed but overall very g ...more
Beno
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I thought I wasn't going to like this book but I did. It has a completely different feel to it than the others in the series.
I love how the prince is an actual complex character not just a flat character on the side it made really fun to read.
I love how both Collis and Rose made like a ton of mistakes (like the secret Rose is keeping, or what Collis accidentally called her on the ship) it made them more relatable and easier to like.
really enjoyed it alot.
Jiji
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like Collis and Rose, but the whole Liar's Club thing is actually quite silly. I mean, they have top secret documents and stuff in a night club for one, and then everybody knows they are spies? (Rose telling Denny at one point "I am a Liar"!) Come on!!!
The stories would have been MUCH better if the author didn't underestimate the intelligence of her readers and actually wrote something that made sense.
I still give it a 2 stars I liked the characters
Anja Braun
Jul 16, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: noone
Okay so I tried to read this.I wanted to like a story about a woman spy. I thought it would be interesting...Well I was wrong.. What is the point of reading a romance story when the male character has a dead arm? Seriously what was the point of including that in the story..Sorry from that point I couldn't get into the story. I stopped reading it...4.99 down the drain
Brianna
their insulting toward each other got on my nerves in the beginning, so i just ingoring it when it continue on in the book. Rose outlooked on the blue-bloods of society is accpetable to a point because not all of the tons is like that. but other than, it was an okay book, one i won't re-read again, unlike the Impostor, but it was good.
Ely May
it was a decent story, the authors use of language was well done. personally to me the plot was not all that exciting and I do wish it had more emotional interaction between the main characters. I could not fall in love with either character. However it was still entertaining and I finished it relatively fast
Lisarenee
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the book. Should have read the first in the series first, but found this book fun. About a maid who gets trained to be a spy. The only downside to becoming a spy is Collis Treymane, who really gets under Rose Lacey's skin. Collis is her training partner and like all men of the era feels he's superior to Rose.
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book in series. I was really looking forward to Collis/Rose story. I did not get disappointed. Lots more action in this book and Prinny has a bit of fun too. I love this book because both Rose and Collis overcome theirs struggles, Rose cos she believes herself to b a lowly housemaid and Collis bcos his injuries from war. I love the ending and HEA for more then 1 character.
Jean
I enjoyed the rivalry and banter between the two characters. Rose is a strong independent character through and through. We also see more of Liverpool's manipulations as the get as convoluted.

it was fun reading this novel after being first introduced to her in The Imposter. Whether I buy the acquiesce in the end is another matter.
Sam
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is the first from Celest Bradley that I have read. It came recommended from various sources on Goodreads, but I found it lacking.
I liked the characters but found myself skimming thru alot of it the story. . . maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind to read it, I found it predicable and a little boring.

Anne
I liked the idea that Rose was a spy. Finally! A girl who can kick a little butt. Collis was a cutie, too.
Still, something was off in this story for me. It was good, don't get me wrong, but I think it could have been better if it just had that extra little 'something' in it.
penelopewanders
I found this slow going at the outset, but it made for a good read as it gained momentum. I pondered the credibility of Collis having such a strong grip in a numb arm, and kept expecting a miraculous recovery, but hmmm... no spoilers, please.
Carito Cárdenas guevara
Muy interesante historia q desde el libro anterior lo dejó a uno con ganas de saber q pasaría entre los protagonistas. Collis y Rose son unos espías en ascenso y completamente competitivos entre sí, me encantó su historia y q, al final de cuentas, fuera Rose la q le ganara a Collis
Elinor
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Des personnages top, une romance trop cute, une Rose qui a la classe, de l'espionnage, un prince régent foufou... J'ai adoré et j'en redemande.
Virginia
I think I read this book before and completely forgot. Either that, or I am remarkably awesome at guessing plot points. :) A fun addition to the Liar's Club series, I enjoyed the story (apparently, for the second time).
Potteriffic_prof
Very entertaining :)
Daphne
Nice twist I wasn't expecting
Lilie
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Après 4 tomes, je peux dire que la série ne m'a pas vraiment convaincue, c'est sympatoche mais sans plus. Je laisse ma place.
  • Perils of the Heart
  • The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2)
  • Beauty and the Spy (Holt Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • The Spy Wore Silk
  • A Deal With the Devil (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #4)
  • Dance of Seduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #4)
  • Lady Rogue
  • Voices of the Night (Signet Eclipse) (Night, #4)
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2)
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #2)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • The Beauty and the Spy (Spies and Lovers, #2)
  • What a Gentleman Desires (Redgrave #3)
  • Bridal Favors (Bridal Stories, #2)
  • Marry the Man Today (Gentlemen Rogues, #3)
Celeste Bradley is the author of Fallen, which was nominated for a RITA in 2002, and The Pretender, the first book in the Liars series. According to Bradley, the best thing about writing is that she finally gets to use the brain full of trivia she's collected over a lifetime of living in eight states, residing in over twenty homes, and changing her major five times. "It was research for my writing ...more
More about Celeste Bradley

Liar's Club (5 books)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld #12)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Lady Bridget's Diary (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #1)
  • What to Say Next
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Map of the Heart
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Riveted (Saints of Denver, #3)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Forever with You (Wait for You, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Tear Us Apart (Never, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden (Old West #1)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Locked in Temptation (The Protectors #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9)
  • If There's No Tomorrow
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
  • Words in Deep Blue
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Runaway Vampire (Argeneau, #23)
  • Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Any Dream Will Do
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Autumn in the Vineyard (St. Helena Vineyard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From the Moment We Met (St. Helena Vineyard, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beard Made Me Do It (The Dixie Warden Rejects MC #5)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1)