Start by marking “Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority” as Want to Read:

No one can deny that our culture is opposed to Christian values, and the influences bombarding our children’s moral development can be deadly. But few parents and church leaders realize how critical it is to start developing a child’s biblical worldview from the very earliest years of life. The problem is complex: parents who themselves did not receive early spiritual trai ...more
Published November 21st 2003 by Regal (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions

Start your review of Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
Cary Sawatsky
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I had the power, I would make every Christian school teacher, Sunday School teacher and pastor read this book. Parents would need to read "Revolutionary Parenting" which was spawned from this book.
Keith
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good book. Except I feel like it repeated itself over and over.
Matt
Aug 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children and youth ministry leaders, parents
Shelves: own
George Barna, who is one of the top researchers of the attitudes and behaviors of Christians in the U.S. I highly recommend this book to parents, and especially to those that are responsible for the ministry to children. It talks about what the churches and parents in this country are doing (or not doing) in order to raise children to be true spiritual champions. Here is the stuff that I highlighted or underlined, lots of great nuggets and thought processes:

If your life is to be lived for a gra
Rob Sumrall
In Transforming Children into Spiritual Champions, researcher and author George Barna throws his hat into the increasingly-crowded Family Ministry arena. The reader will discover the same things that we have come to expect from Barna: massive and thorough research, insights from the Christian community, and helpful evaluation of the data. Much of what Barna has to say focuses on the church's responsibility to create environments where discipleship happens in the lives of children. While he repea ...more
Kath
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
George Barna has a knack for outlining his findings clearly and understandably. This book encouraged me as a parent by helping me set priorities for my children's spiritual growth as well as helping me establish guidelines for what to expect from our church's children's ministry. This book would be of great value for any one who works with Kids in a Christian setting or for Christians who work with kids in a secular setting. Chapter 4 is very helpful I'm establishing criteria for what children's ...more
Omar Domenech
May 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
The problem with this book is that it disguises opinion as data. Barna rebrands his personal political convictions (Conservative American Republicanism) as "biblical worldview" and then uses data that shows that his views are minority opinions to claim that Christians do not have a biblical worldview. He is hoping you won't notice the sleight of hand; that you will forget that when he says "biblical worldview" he is referring to his own personal political convictions and not to something that co ...more
Mike Edge
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone working with children
George Barna builds a very compelling case for parents and all who work with children in the church context, that young people should be at the forefront of our attention.
It is while children are young (beginning at age 2 and continuing to age 12) that their world-view is formed, the concepts of right and wrong, salvation, etc. are put in place.
In addition he gives concrete ways to work with children in the home and in the church.
A must read for anyone who wants to make a difference in the liv
Crystal
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
This is one of those books that I just couldn't finish, no matter how hard I tried. Although it does include many good statistics, there were many theological presuppositions that I just couldn't stomach. I found myself getting angry at the generalizations and I was unable to move past it to learn from the statistics. Perhaps I'll try again next year.
Csawyer60
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
this is a book that has caused a spiritual revolution in the church regarding how we look at children and the best way to lead them to a living relationship with Christ. Barna, to his credit was the first person to sit down with the kids, ask them the questions and then was astonished by their answers. It is really cool book that lets you see the church from the perspective of 13 year olds.
Seth Pierce
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Barna provides some indicting research into churches and how the minster to children. This book not only provides some excellent and practical challenges for ministering to the young within the Body of Christ, but also provides some challenges to parents as well.

Some of this material will be making its way into sermons…

Kent
Sep 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those involved in a child's life.
Maybe Barna's easiest read. I have been building a philosophy of personal transformation which suggests that most transformation occurs prior to age 13. In this work Barna supports the hypothesis with several national studies.
Dalton
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
2nd semester
This book was ok in my opinion, wasn't the best but yet it wasn't the worst either. I wouldn't recommend this book to a friend because it isn't an easy read. It used very good imagery though. It relates to my life by being a good reference to what I want to be when I grow up.
Bradleyhg
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Love this sort of book.
Gina Mcclain
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Necessary tool for any ministry leader.
JD Cliff
Mar 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Not a very easy read, but has some great facts and figures to support a healthy ministry to children.
Erin
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good message. Lots of statistical info- read small pieces at a time.
Aaron Thomas
Every parent needs to read this book to realize the importance of training your children. Most children's spiritual and moral foundations are set by the age of nine. Time is of the essence.
Teresa Huddleston
This book is an eye-opener to parents and the church. We need to come together so we can help our children develop a Biblical Worldview and they will never depart from it.
Christer Hargrove
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great insights into the needs of children and the responsibility of parents.
Eileen
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for parents....for you are children's ministers. Read it while they are young so it sets a fire early.
Elizabeth Jones
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: information
Awsome information that every Christian with kids, church leader and teacher, etc. needs to read. Well researched and documented. Uses by those working in Awana Kids Clubs International,
Catherine
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you attend a Christian Church and are in any way interested in children's spiritual health - you NEED to read this book. Highly recommended!
Thawngtha
Brian
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Three stars only because it is dated.
Mike Bright
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Up front I acknowledge and appreciate the work that George Barna does. He is an important and effective influencer in our world. His research methods provide valuable information for the church. I also agree with everything he says in the book and appreciate what it says.

Given that intro, I obviously have some complaints and comments. This is a topic of interest to me, so I have read about it in the past. This book didn't really give me new information, just some new statistics to reinforce prev
Melissa
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was disappointing, I was hoping for a biblical and research based philosophy of children's ministry. I wonder if there were some editing errors, or if the exegesis was just poorly done. George Barna makes claims about children followed by Scripture references. Many times the scriptures have only a tenuous link to what he was discussing.

One of the more outlandish claims he made was that in Scripture, a couple who didn't wish to have children were viewed in a negative light. The bible re
Andrew Rogers
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking and challenging

As a parent and also one that works with kids in a ministry setting I want to see the next generation raised up to be fully devoted followers of Christ that are making an impact on the world and extending the borders of God’s Kingdom. This book gives some great insight and challenges for parents, and youth workers.
Brad
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I used this book for research - thought it was interesting and very well done. George Barna is a serious person and a true believer, his research is strong and this kind of objective data is rare in a book like this. Also several A+ examples of Evangelical-style gatekeeping but this is not surprising as that's kind of the point of the whole thing.
Yeary Orion Maple
This is a phenomenal book that will teach you the importance of ministry to kids, and specifically the priority that it needs the take in our churches. The statistics are outdated but even that will change your mindset on children's ministry.
Mindee Berkman
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone who has kids or is involved in children’s ministry.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 11 Oct 29, 2015 07:48AM

• Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth
  • Growing Young: Six Essential Strategies to Help Young People Discover and Love Your Church
  • Youth Ministry 2027: A New Vision for Youth Ministry in This Present Future
  • Discovering Our Roots: The Ancestry of Churches of Christ
  • Along the Way: Conversations about Children and Faith
  • Adoptive Youth Ministry: Integrating Emerging Generations into the Family of Faith
  • Be Known for Something: Reconnect with Community by Revitalizing Your Church's Reputation
  • Owning Faith: Reimagining the Role of Church & Family in the Faith Journey of Teenagers
  • Reimagining Faith Formation for the 21st Century: Engaging All Ages and Generations
  • The Four Pages of the Sermon: A Guide to Biblical Preaching
  • They Smell Like Sheep
  • Elements of Biblical Exegesis: A Basic Guide for Students and Ministers
  • Determining the Form: Structures for Preaching
  • The Evolution of Adam: What the Bible Does and Doesn't Say about Human Origins
  • In Search of Adolescence: A New Look at an Old Idea
  • Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit
  • Slaying Biblical Illiteracy
  • Disunity in Christ: Uncovering the Hidden Forces That Keep Us Apart
George Barna was raised and educated on the East Coast before moving to California in the early 1980s. He held executive positions in advertising, public policy, political campaigns, and media/marketing research before beginning his own company, the Barna Research Group (now The Barna Group), in 1984. The firm analyzes American culture and creates resources and experiences designed to facilitate m ...more

News & Interviews