Start by marking “Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad” as Want to Read:
Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad

Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
EOD-"It's a lot like brain surgery, except if we screw up the patient detonates....Oh yeah, and we do it underwater."
- A Navy EOD Technician

The Sailors of the United States Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) community "perform under pressure" in the hazardous job of bomb disposal, often deep beneath the sea...alone.

An EOD Technician must have the brains of an engine

Published June 1st 2007 by Xlibris (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Proximity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proximity

Trish Bodine
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book. Written well enough that a non EOD person could follow the story. The substory of family life for military personnel, especially those in high stress MOS areas, was real and just as subtle as the subtext is in life. Well written and I would recommend to any person that is interested in mystery or military stories.
Mike Tinston
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Interesting twists. Quite fun overall.
Don
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
A novel of the navy's bomb disposal squad. Probably liked it because I can identify with the characters. Very real emotions.
Andrew Tucker
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good overall storyline and I loved all the technical EOD details. Wish the author would write more stories like this.
Mya
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Proximity...Being close to something...In the vicinity at least. Okay, I had to get that straight in my head before I began to summarize this book. Why? Because the big reveal at the end of the book plays on that word a lot.

Okay, when I initially picked this book up, I was in need of a letter/number fix of the military type. You know, the AK-47/ B-52/ EOD/ M-16/ SH-60B Seahawk type of balls to the wall, procedure and pomp kind of tale. I expected nail-biting relations of bombs diffused, nerves
Jordan Larsen
This Novel should be a Movie, Hollywood doesn't know what it's missing!

As someone who has a lot of respect for those who diffuse danger and save lives, this riveting and fast-paced 2007 action/thriller by Stephen Phillips certainly blew me away! While most novelists tend to focus on the more glamorous side of the United States Military and Intelligence community, such as the Marines, Army and the CIA, very few have given much thought to writing about the unsung heroes of the EOD community. In
Heidi
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad. Since Proximity is written by a former Special Operations Officer and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, I figured it would have a decent plot with overly analytical details of EOD operations. I couldn't have been more wrong.

What I found was a very engaging and sympathetic main character, trying to balance the danger of his job with the security of his family. The story is very character driven, which was a pleasant surpri
Cody Hawkins
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Proximity is about The Sailors of the United States Navy EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) branch these men must have the brains of an engineer, the hands of a surgeon, and the courage of a martyr.the book is kinda hard to keep up with you are introduced to a lot of people. One of the guys you are introduce to is lt. James j. Jasinski jr. or Jazz and his family he dad was a sailor goes by the name the amril but jazz has two boys and another child on the way with his wife. You start to get to kno ...more
Anna
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In the interest of full disclosure, I only read the first quarter of this book and am unlikely to progress further. But for the purpose I was seeking --- finding out solid, firsthand information about what life would be like in the Navy's EOD squad --- the book was perfect. If you're a fan of thrillers, you'll likely enjoy the book for other reasons entirely.
Dale Knepp
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story needs some editing

The story was well told and kept my interest the whole time. The only down side with the kindle edition was that it needed better formatting. When scenes changed there was no spacing in the book so it took a sentence or two till you realized the book was now at a different location.
Command Posts: Avoiding the Publishing of Classified Material 2 22 Nov 22, 2014 09:25AM
  • We Hold These Truths
  • An Unlawful Order
  • Flames (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #2)
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • Grenadiers: The Story of Waffen SS General Kurt "Panzer" Meyer (Stackpole Military History)
  • Veiled Mirror
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • The Millstone Prophecy (Dax McGowan #1)
  • The Folks at Fifty-Eight
  • No Better Place to Die: Ste. Mere-Eglise, June 1944: The Battle for La Fiere Bridge
  • Freedom's Promise (Task Force 125, #3)
  • Seraphim
  • Eaters: The Beginning
  • Results Not Typical
  • Cloak
  • The Twelfth Juror
  • Unspoken
Stephen Phillips is a 1992 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy. He served in the U.S. Navy as a Special Operations Officer and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician at EOD Mobile Units Six, Eight, and Ten. Steve is the award-winning author of "Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad," and the forthcoming novel about the Naval Academy; "The Recipient's Son."

Steve is a member of the Milita
More about Stephen Phillips...