Start by marking “Shattered” as Want to Read:
Shattered

Shattered

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  4,510 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
After his friend is killed in a horse-racing accident, up-and-coming glass artisan Gerard Logan finds himself embroiled in a deadly search for a stolen videotape--a videotape that just might destroy his own life.
Published March 1st 2005 by Berkley Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Shattered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shattered

Maria V. Snyder
I started reading Dick Francis when I was 14 years old and looking for a mystery in the library. The cover of the first one I read looked intriguing, the title, Nerve seemed interesting, and the synopsis about a jockey who has lost his nerve made me add it to my pile of books. After that I was hooked, reading his novels until I caught up on his entire back-list and then had to wait a year for the new one. I traveled to see him and his lovely wife every year to get books signed and, as he aged, I ...more
Daniel Bratell
About Dick Francis you can either say "the books are all the same" or "you get exactly what you expect". There will be a fairly young main character that excel at his occupation. The occupation will always be different and never directly involved in horse racing, but some way still involved in the racing world. The main character will be single but meet a lovely girl somewhere along the trip. The main character will suffer bodily harm. The books are always told from a first person perspective. T ...more
Bettie☯
OPERATION TBR BUSTER

Dedication: To Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother in celebration of her 100th birthday. With endless gratitude, love and every good wish, from Dick Francis.

Opening: Four of us drove together to Cheltenham races on the day when Martin Stukely died there from a fall in a steeplechase.

Oh dear but this was a lackluster storyline: same old same old and probably written on a laptop in the back of a car at the same speed that the chauffeur was driving. The one saving grac
Victoria Mixon
Jul 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I managed to get myself stuck in a hotel room without my three bags of vintage mysteries that I'm working my way through, so I went in the hotel lounge and picked up the only mystery on the shelf.

Bummer about that. This is yet another of the "New York Times Best Sellers" that's cheap crapola cranked out to a formula so the author can live "in the Caribbean."

You know what you're telling us by calling crap like this "best sellers," New York Times? That you wouldn't know a good book if it poked you
Harry
What is there to say about Dick Francis? As I think about all of his books (yes, this review covers all of his books, and yes I've read them all) I think about a moral ethical hero, steeped in intelligence and goodness embroiled in evil machinations within British horse racing society - either directly or indirectly. The heroes aren't always horse jockies, they can be film producers, or involve heroes engaged in peripheral professions that somehow always touch the horse racing world.

But more tha
Stephen
I have been a Francis fan for many years now, having read most of his books. While this one is not his best, it it still a far better effort than we see from other authors.
This book contains the familiar comforts we have come to expect from Francis-- a likeable accidental hero, a loathsome villan or two, a nice girl and the chance to learn something. Reading one of Francis' novels is like sitting down with an old, familiar friend. We know what to expect, and I think this lack of surprise is why
Wendy
Dec 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, 2008
This is a re-read. I've only read it once before, and it stuck in my head because the protagonist, glass-blower Gerard Logan, lives in the village of Broadway, in the Cotswolds in England, and I have been there, often. I can visualize the very shop that I think Mr. Francis imagined as Gerard's glass studio and shop, the hotel across the street, and the main road generally.

I always learn something from a Dick Francis novel: about people, about writing, and about whatever occupation or hobby feat
Charly
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Charly by: Anyone
My first exposure to Dick Francis as a novelist. The mystery was a fun quick read with a reasonable plot and characters. He unfolded the piece well and I will most likely revisit. While the work is based around horse racing it is in fact a vehicle more than anything else.
Louise
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Although this was good, I think it was the beginning of a slide down in quality on Francis' books. Keep in mind, I've loved his books for 30 years, so this is hard to say. They're still good yarns, though, with characters you can like, but I found this less enthralling than usual.
Rima BH
it keeps you guessing until the very end..
  • Dick Francis's Bloodline
  • Betrayal
  • Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist (Mrs. Pollifax, #13)
  • The Stargazey (Richard Jury, #15)
  • Pay Off
  • The First Eagle (Leaphorn  & Chee, #13)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Package (Mrs. Pargeter, #3)
  • Flint
  • Murder-Go-Round: Thirteen at Dinner, The A.B.C. Murders, Funerals are Fatal
  • Man of Two Tribes
  • Airs Above the Ground
  • The Rose Rent (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #13)
  • The Reunion
  • The Dark House
  • A Darker Place (Sean Dillion, #16)
  • Mercy
  • Cloak of Darkness
  • San Andreas
Dick Francis CBE (born Richard Stanley Francis) was a popular British horse racing crime writer and retired jockey.

Dick Francis worked on his books with his wife, Mary, before her death. Dick considered his wife to be his co-writer - as he is quoted in the book, "The Dick Francis Companion", released in 2003:
"Mary and I worked as a team. ... I have often said that I would have been happy to have b
More about Dick Francis...