Start by marking “Horse and Rider: Poems” as Want to Read:
Horse and Rider: Poems

Horse and Rider: Poems

Horse and Rider takes its title from a passage in the book of Exodus: “Sing unto the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; horse and rider he has cast into the sea.” Melissa Range’s poems explore violence and power, particularly as those concepts relate to religion and to the natural world. Her mixture of free and formal verse is populated with warriors, weapons, animals, ...more
Published March 15th 2010 by Texas Tech University Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Horse and Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horse and Rider

Start your review of Horse and Rider: Poems
Terry Perrel
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Melissa Range transforms myths, Biblical and others, into metaphorical poetry and hymns rich in images and lyricism in ways few other poets can. This is a book to buy and keep and reread.
Kevin Summers
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Section Two ("The Warhorse") is great. Sample quote from "The Tent Peg" (after Judges 5:24-31): "Long live the cog, the clog, the rod, the twig. / There are other wars besides the wars of men. / Wood has bested iron, as it shall again."

I also really liked "The Conversion of Saul Imagined as a Scene in a Western" in Section Three.
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous attention to language and story. Every poem in the book is well-crafted and deserving of multiple reads.
Amy
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I step aside and let Range's rhyme and meter skills pass far, far ahead of me. She is an old master. I offer The Black Foal by way of any review I could muster:

She'll be buried today, or one day.
Beneath the dark barn's rutted boards, the foal,
untimely dropped, shudders, puddled in the hay,

black ink soaking a bleak gold floor. His lullay
naysaying the killing air, the crickets' toll,
my father tends the foal all night, all day,

permitting the joints in his knees to fray.
Spilling mare's milk from a s
Zach
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I wouldn't be surprised if Melissa Range becomes one of our new premier poets. With her first book, Horse and Rider, she has offered some of the best poetry I have ever read. The world that Range constructs is a world hewn from blood and sinew, where the horse and rider gallop past weapons with stories to tell and young maids sing songs of dead warriors, and though there is death, there is the chance of life, of redemptiton and renewal, a noose refashioned into a child's swing, a canary's silenc ...more
Barbara Brannon
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Stunning poems that lend new layers of meaning to the Old Testament scripture: "Sing unto the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; horse and rider he has cast into the sea." Range is a 'maker' of poems in the ancient sense -- an emerging talent to be watched.
(Full disclosure: I handle marketing and promotions for the publisher of this title. But I post reviews only of those titles I've read and appreciated--and want my friends to read too!)
LeeAnn Derdeyn
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Melissa Range is a new, young vibrant poet whom I met at the Stark Creative Writers series at the University of Dallas Fall '09. She recently won a 1st book award from Texas Tech and this is her maiden effort. Her poetry is technically deft, lyrical and threaded with references to our Western canon. In person, she is funny, has a pronounced Tennessee (is this right?)drawl, and sprinkles lots of colloquial expressions thruout. Interesting poet from whom I think we'll be hearing lots more soon.
Grace Makley
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, literature
This book contains many, many poems that just make me shiver when I'm done with them. Absolute quality. Every word is perfect. Range references the bible, the illiad, the anglo-saxon poem The Wanderer, and does it all with finesse, rhythm, and feeling. This is the best modern poetry I have ever read.
Eddy
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! Rarely have I encountered such rhythm, music of language, and depth of meaning in a poet's first book.
Pamela
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read this book--aloud. It's magnificent.
Tales and Tomes
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Awesome beyond reproach.
Cary
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ranger. A collection of poems that will buck you.
Jennifer Goyne
Michael Nye
Sep 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fuck You-Aloha-I Love You
  • Rich People Problems (Crazy Rich Asians, #3)
  • China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians, #2)
  • O Holy Insurgency
  • The Empire of Gold (Daevabad Trilogy, #3)
  • The Best American Poetry 2011
  • The Totality for Kids
  • Starlings
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January