Start by marking “The Psychology of Winning” as Want to Read:
The Psychology of Winning

The Psychology of Winning

"A heavyweight amoung motivational writers."—Charles Paul conn, author of An Uncommon Freedom.
Published October 15th 1986 by Berkley (first published June 1979)

Start your review of The Psychology of Winning
Vaishali
Somewhat dated, and doesn't flow too quickly. However, fantastic points: (taken from audio/workbook)

~ Develop a very, very strong expectation to win

~ Optimists always win. Optimism & realism are the problem solving twins

~ We move in the direction of what we dwell on

~ Tolerate little or no distraction from moving toward those goals

~ You can't get rich if you keep worrying about your bills. Winners see risk as an opportunity. They see the reward of success in advance, and they don't see the penal
Heather Pola
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book several times. The first being in college, while training for peer leadership programs. An amazing mentor and professor, Dr. David Brown had this book, among other greats, on the reading list. This book has been part of my self-evolution through and through. Raw, real, and in your face wake up call...to the true YOU, that has always been calling your name. Thumbs and toes up. Ready set, READ THIS BOOK!
Mike
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've never met Denis Waitley but I've seen him speak on many occasions. After reading "The Psychology of Winning" I can see why he has been a trainer of Super Bowl and Olympic athletes, Apollo astronauts, and Fortune 500 executives. While training these winners, he was no doubt able to find what makes a winner "tick". This resulted in the writing of this book.

From Positive Self-awareness to Positive Self-projection, Dr. Waitley explains their meaning and uses real life examples to drive the poin
kripsoo
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
first came across the works of Denis Waitley in late 1996, as I began my first steps towards entrepreneurship. It was via audio tape, which contained most if not all of the contents of this book, nonetheless, here was a complete stranger telling Me: I could succeed, I could achieve, I could do things encouragement I was not getting from my immediate family, my peers, my "friends" at that time
Someone once said: You will become like the information you input into your mind and the people you assoc
Clay
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This one is definitely a little bit outdated. Thus you should turn a blind eye to some of the examples Waitley provides for why his theories are true. Nevertheless this was a nice quick read and I think that it's important to take some time to think about what we want from life and how we can achieve it. The act of reflecting on it already has a positive effect on us. Even if we think we know a lot about what it takes to win it's still important to refresh some of the things and become more awar ...more
Waseem
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read and already one of my all time fav rags to riches stories... Right up there with think and grow rich this one I think but easier to follow and some sound succeess principles, 5 stars as typically found when I read dennis's book

Waseem Mirza
Melissa
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good book, although I suspect I'll get a lot more out of it if I read it several times! Especially fond of the chapter about health and the mental control we can exert it...
Michael David
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is great stuff. Although this book tackles themes that have been addressed in earlier and more comprehensive books, there are few books as good as this in terms of streamlining the necessary data important in transforming one's psychology towards positivity in thought and in deed.
Zachary Wrightsman
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great book that I feel everyone should read. A nice short book. It isn’t a psychology book it’s more of a description on how winners act more than the way they think.
Heather
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was written in the late 1970s so there are references to the Vietnam War, OJ Simpson and beta max players but don't let this deter you. There is still great content in the book that any sales professional can glean information from.

The term "winners" and "winning" has been transformed into a sort of joke in late life thanks to people like Charlie Sheen and movies like Little Miss Sunshine. The sugar-sweet false facade seems to be a thing people do to pump themselves up and not live in
Beth
This very short work outlines what the author has defined as the 10 qualities of a winner. While the chapters define each quality and then offer steps to take action to develop/reinforce these qualities it seemed to me that several of the qualities were indistinguishable from each other. The book offers good advice and is aptly named since the action steps are very oriented towards the psychology of winning and a general application of the actions suggested. Still a good read, that includes many ...more
Marlayna
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENTE!!!
Daniel Lakstins
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
helped me have a more positive outlook on life. A must read!
Susan
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. A lot of examples. Inspiring.
Jim George
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An intellectual self help classic. With a step by step program for changing your life. One of the best!
Matt Leiv
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"So powerful and frequent are the slick, dramatic portrayals of the most revolting human biographies that society is methodically being transformed by example, into a working model for losers"

At first the book seemed dated however, after a chapter or 2 you get past that and into some very good content. It spends most of the book covering the qualities of winners, how to apply them, and how to not be a loser. It also often references problems in society and how America is creating weaker, instead
Ken Lenoir
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the Nightingale program and took notes and these are some pretty good ideas on how to be a winner in life.

One of the qualities of a winner as Denis Waitley suggests is positive self expectancy and that's immediately applicable as a practice by creating expectations for the experiences in your life.

I gave it 5 stars because I feel as if I am better off having listened to this than not. It has a great reputation in the personal development and professional development community becau
Rick Marcello
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a traditional self-help book, the work is well organized and detailed. The book lists ten principles of personal development that characterizes winners. After each chapter, the book even lists to-do items for the reader in order to apply the book's principles to life. On its own the book, the Denis Waitley's work is solid read. In the context of my faith, I must add that nothing can be done without the Lord's help. Anyone who is seeking to change his or her life for the better, must get that ...more
Otto Lang
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A book to boost your self-esteem and motivation. A truly inspiring and very American book. Nonetheless some “facts” in this book are outdated, since new findings disproved them (like trying to cut ones sleep for more productivity). But the message of this piece remains relevant; your psyche sets its limitations and expectations and this book tells you some real handy instructions how to get the most out of yourself.
Shaun savvy
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stay ahead of change.
Adapt to the the C's (Change complexity and competition)
Become a lifelong learner.
Be a proactive innovator (10% of population)
You are your own financial security.

Losers let things happen, winners make things happen.

Winners believe they are in charge of their life.

Develop a simple, affirmative self talk vocab about yourself.
Heiko
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book reveals many principles of success psychology in a structured, organized way. It is a quick read. I like the content and I've found several gems that were new and insightful for me even after reading hundreds of books on personal development.

The only drawback: the structure seems in part artificial, so the content follows the structure of the book instead of the other way round.
Troy Dukart
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent leadership, learning, and life advice from a military veteran.

As I am a vet myself, I enjoyed seeing what the military instills in others and Waitley’s views on what it means to be successful.

Embrace change, never stop learning, and stay humble.

Loved it! Read this book to find out who you can win!
Raphael Bernardo
Good if you've never read a mindset book before. There's much better books out there. Most of these books like this one use the same examples. I did get a few nuggets out of it, but wasn't a book that completely changed my daily actions.
Basimah Rasha
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. He went into detail on how life can be anything you want, but more he went into detail on how important you can consume if you want to be a winner or not. Its short and straight to the point.
theshadishow
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
certain chapters are brilliant! but others have not aged well (particularly with regards to our current understanding of psychiatry/psychology/depression - these would honestly be quite hurtful to anyone with mental illness).

TW: Holocaust
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do you want to win?
Maria
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good advice that is both challenging and achievable. It encourages you to think differently to achieve your greatest potential.
Mackenzie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot from this book. Super motivational.
Paul Ivans
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
These books are good to stave off the Swamp of Sadness. Artax !!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life
  • How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People
  • How To Enjoy Your Life And Your Job
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Speak Like Churchill, Stand Like Lincoln: 21 Powerful Secrets of History's Greatest Speakers
  • A Better Way to Live
  • Law of Success
  • 7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness: Power Ideas from America's Foremost Business Philosopher
  • People Over Profit: Break the System, Live with Purpose, Be More Successful
  • The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: King Solomon's Secrets to Success, Wealth, and Happiness
  • Lead the Field
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age
  • As a Man Thinketh
  • The New Psycho-Cybernetics: The Original Science of Self-Improvement and Success That Has Changed the Lives of 30 Million People
  • A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
One of America's most respected authors, keynote lecturers and productivity consultants on high performance human achievement. 10 million audio programs sold in 14 languages, Denis Waitley is one of the most listened-to voices on personal and career success. A graduate of the U. S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, and former Navy pilot, he holds a doctorate degree in human behavior.

News & Interviews