Start by marking “Mortal Ghost” as Want to Read:
Mortal Ghost

Read Book* *Different edition

Mortal Ghost

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  483 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
It's a fiery hot summer, and sixteen-year-old Jesse Wright is on the run. An oddly gifted boy, he arrives in a new city where the direction of his life is about to change. He's hungry and lonely and desperate - and beset by visions of a stranger who is being brutally tortured. And then there are Jesse's own memories of a fire ...
ebook
Published June 9th 2011 (first published May 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mortal Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortal Ghost

Jimmy
Sep 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
Shelves: ebook, spurned
I did not like this book. The author had me thoroughly confused as to what was happening. I was faced with two options, either I could keep reading on and hope that it would come together and make sense in the end, or just give it up. After 200 pages, I really wanted to give it up. At times I thought to myself, maybe it is just me. Am I this thick, naive, or uneducated that I can’t grasp what a simple story this is? But I don’t believe so.
The story seems to me to change from chapter to chapter.
Feb 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book because I was convinced that with tops appearing out of nowhere, teens with memories but no history on paper, mystical healing and fire-starting abilities, a woman with the ability to sense emotions/thoughts(?) and organic computers that can take over someone's body that somewhere in the end the author would give the reader an explanation of it all. Unfortunately, this never happened.

There are interesting elements to this book. The problem is that there are so many of them,
Paul
Nov 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book started with so much promise I desperately tried to enjoy it. The author has an interesting style and the descriptions of settings are wonderful. Unfortunately from a third of a way through the novel the plot starts to loose direction quite badly. After a number of chapters that ramble in circles (which sets the tone for a lot of the rest of the novel) you are dropped into a bizarre sci-fi series of chapters. The sci-fi section is so disjointed that even if there had been some foreshad ...more
Shannon Renee
Jun 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was free to download on my nook. I honestly got tired of looking at the cover and decided to read it. This was a huge mistake. The writing was half-hazardly strung together. Not only was I uninterested with the characters, I still don't understand the plot ( if there was one, and I am betting not). A total waste of time.
Heidi
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This book really held my interest and kept me guessing. I can't say that all of the mysteries in my head were solved but it was greatly suspenseful and I would love to read more...
LK Griffie
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, young-adult
Jessie Rosser
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Kathy Stewart
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this ebook when it was offered for free and only read it recently. What a wonderful surprise! I’m not usually a fan of fantasy and science fiction but I loved this book. From the first page to the last, Mortal Ghost is elegantly written and beautifully paced. Although it’s possibly aimed at young adults, older people will still enjoy it and identify with its themes. Lowe has created interesting and multi-dimensional characters and an intriguing theme. I can’t wait to read more by th ...more
Amanda D'Aniello
loved this book. I had to read it a few times, before I absorbed everything. It is really rich in detail and suspense. I don't really Like suspense, but Lowe wove this story so well that it added to the genius of the story. It had the perfect mix of romance, and suspense and paranormal/physicic-ness that it created a perfect story. A must read for young adults.

P.s It IS a british book, so some of the phrases are hard to understand for American readers, but it is not so often as to disrupt the s
Elizabeth
Jul 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
6% and I give up. Did this book even have an editor? Random jumps between perspective. Switching between past and present tense? I got the feeling the present was a dream or something but there was no way to mark it, no extra space between paragraphs or italics or anything. And the characters! First. Jesse. Your homeless yet you spend a lot of the money you do have on books? Sarah. You meet a homeless guy on the street and the first thing you do is invite him home. Sarah's mom. No reaction to th ...more
Amie
Aug 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
This book was interesting and different and sometimes even weird. There are several choppy bits where the transitions from one scene to the next just jump - no smooth transition from one place to another, no break in the way the page is set up - just one paragraph there might be the boy & girl in the park and the next paragraph the boy is waking from a night's sleep (just an example). A sad and possibly a bit melancholy story right up to the ending but I don't regret reading it.
Jessy
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the craziness of this book and all the different story lines going on but I feel like it could have cleared a few more things up just a little bit. And there were quite a lot of spelling errors in this book...on the nook. Not sure if that's any different from the actual book. But just saying.
Samantha
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thus far this book is sort of a mess. The general plot is good but the editing, or rather the lack thereof, gives me a headache. There is a lot of jumping around, a lack of paragraph breaks and more than a few spelling errors. It's not a bad story, it's just bad editing, as though this were a first draft and no one ever felt the need to check it over and make corrections.
Kendra Parker
I think this book had promise but I also think that the author tried to put two different books into one story. I didn't much care for the part with the supercomputer and I feel like the story would have been more solid without it. There was already so much going on that it felt like a distraction.
Genevieve
Sep 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is SO confusing. There are often no breaks between topics and so things jump around so you don't know where you are in the story. The story also makes little sense. I gave up 2/3rds of the way through when I realized I didn't know where the sphinx (sphinx?!) came from. That said, I did find the main characters compelling, which is the only reason I stuck with it for so long.
C.C. Jackson
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was good. I didn't have trouble with spelling or grammar. I think it was more of a language barrier. The author just talks differently than I do. The story itself was great. Maybe a little weird at times but still very good. It's definitely not a light read and deals with some tough issues. I would only recommend it to mature young adult readers.
Stephani
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No offense. I got completely lost at least a dozen times. No idea what was going on most of the time. Not the greatest writing shown in this book. I tried for two weeks to read this and I can read a book a day if I put my mind to it. Way too confusing and Im saddened to say I could NOT finish it... So another bad review...so sorry.
Cheri
Dec 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Weird. Confusing. Tons of profanity. Virtually no story line here. Just a screwed up teen doing screwed up teen stuff and the end was bizzare! Finished and my first thought was what the heck did I just read!? I don't even pretend to know what happened here. That and the sex was totally unecessary. . . . . .really just not the best book.
Stephanie
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a change from what I'm used to reading. The main character Jesse is very smart so there where parts of the book that were hard to read but I liked the challenge. It wasn't a feel good book, so that was also different. I liked the book, it really makes you think.
Carlos Torres
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, fast, enticing. I enjoyed this story, although I had to check on things from time to time thanks to the cultural divide. But all in all I enjoyed the story and would recommend it.
hannah
Mar 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic, romance
A strange story about a boy that has very special abilities. It 's not really a happy end and not a bad end as well.
Sarah Spelbring
I really wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this ebook. Some reviewers on Smashwords didn't like it because they couldn't find a plot, or didn't resonate with the characters. As one of the secondary characters was named Sarah, I didn't have a problem resonating with that character.

However, there isn't a plot with this story, not really. It's one of those novels that just follows along with the lives of the characters until a certain event occurs. It's a bit like a Danielle Steel
Roy
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an okay book, I enjoyed reading it from beginning to end. The author had an interesting premise and a way of describing characters that you would like to meet in real life. There were several drawbacks to the novel which I think took away from my really enjoying this book.

As stated several times before by other reviewers the narrative was confusing at times. Sometimes you felt like whole chunks of dialogue or pages were missing. This is especially disconcerting while reading this book in
moxieBK
This is very much a literary book. I have attempted to read it several times over the course of when I first downloaded it until now. (Oct. 2011-Dec. 2015.) I'll admit, for me, it was a tough sled to start and focus on reading it, but I finally decided to clean out my very old "To-Read" books and this one kept hanging around.

I'm glad I didn't get too discouraged from bad reviews. There is a wonderful story in here, if one is patient enough to let the story unfold. I can't say it's for everyone,
Nicole Barnes
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, romance
Oh my goddess! This is something else. This author must have smoked something I never tried ;). I never read something so intense, so powerful. I am a French speaking person and I was more into the dictionary than the book itself. But I loved it, it expend my vocabulary to the max. Naturally, as a French speaking person, I sometime found it confusing; was it the language barrier or was it really difficult to follow. So, I was glad when I read some reviewers saying it was confusing and all over t ...more
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Denise
I started reading Mortal Ghost and just love it when a book grabs me at the beginning and I don't want my break to end so I can go on reading. What a delightfully unusual book. As I understand it this book was originally written as a serial and published one chapter at a time in various venues. When the story reached the end it was then published in book form offered on kindle for free. What a treat it is to get something so worth reading as a gift from the author. The book is quite long, but i ...more
Jeanne Stumbaugh
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good story. Very, very good.

That being said, if you think this book is the typical paranormal book, where the boy goes on a grand adventure because of his powers, you’ll be sadly mistaken and ultimately disappointed. Because this is not that kind of book at all. In fact, the fact that he does have powers is but that is actually besides the point. Although some of the conflict does happen because of his abilities, that is not the main focus in the story itself.

This is about things that hap
Tina on the Hill
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I admire people who have great minds. Personally, I have an average mind with only the occasional great thought. I have no problem with that. I mean we all come up against things other than ourselves. However when reading I want the comprehension to be available, a glimpse or so beyond my comfort zone is okay. A struggle is not.

In reading Lowe's "Mortal Ghost" I found something way beyond my understanding. I caught enough glimpses to keeping looking for more, but not enough to feel comfortable w
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
i almost gave up on this book after the first couple of chapters but i'm glad i didn't. once you get past the grammatical and spelling errors, the story is amazing. i don't know if it's just the ebook version, but there are several spots where the scene changes from one paragraph to the next but there's no real separation between the text so it takes a few moments of disorientation to realize what's going on. as for the story itself, i can't decide which literary category it belongs in. i was le ...more
Other Editions 1 6 Jan 05, 2009 08:51AM
  • The Labyrinth
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • Life Blood
  • Snapdragon Alley
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • The Vanishing (Return of the Aliens #1)
  • Invisible Justice (Justice, #1)
  • Cain's Apples
  • I Witch
  • Shadow Games (Shadow People, #1)
  • Hilda the Wicked Witch (Hilda the Wicked Witch #1)
  • Graveyard Games
  • Resurrection
  • Golde the Mother (Lost Tales of Mercia, #1)
  • Treasure Lost
  • Dawn of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #0.5)
  • The Silver Ring
  • Dark Legacy

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
“You cannot know who you are until you choose who you are not.” 7 likes
“It's always a little frightening to care about something... someone. What you have, you can lose. It can break, or be stolen. Or it might stop fitting.” 4 likes