Start by marking “The Pursuit of Holiness: Run in Such a Way as to Get the Prize 1 Corinthians 9:24” as Want to Read:

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  15,009 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
"Be holy, for I am holy," commands God. But holiness is something that is often missed in the Christian's daily life. According to Navigator author Jerry Bridges, that's because we're not exactly sure what our part in holiness is. In "The Pursuit of Holiness, " he helps us see clearly just what we should rely on God to do--and what we should take responsibility for ourselv ...more
Published February 27th 2014 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Pursuit of Holiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pursuit of Holiness

Alex
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
In The Pursuit of Holiness, author Jerry Bridges urges us to live a life of obedience to God, striving for increasing victory over sin. The first few chapters define and argue the need for holiness. The rest of the book includes exhortation and practical tips for attaining greater holiness.

I listened to the audiobook version. Narration is as important as writing style when you’re listening to a book and while narration was competent I found it somewhat bland. I think this somewhat diminished my
Sarah Gutierrez

Jerry Bridges paints a fairly familiar picture in this book: new Christian enthusiastically expects his faith to carry him above sin, and quickly realizes the surprising truth that the Christian life doesn't actually work that way. He falls into despair because if he was really a Christian, he should be walking in victory, right? And then there are all those well-meaning people ready to assure that struggling Christian that there is no need to be concerned because "Christ has already done everyt
Elsa K
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow is about all I can say. I have read this book before, but this time I was so slow going through it. My stage of life is so different and I find it hard to read 'theologically deep' books with the little ones running around and feeling exhausted at the end of the day. I could only seem to read it when I was at a coffee shop away and I could actually think through what I was reading. This is the type of book I could probably read a hundred times and continue to get something from. It isn't a h ...more
Josh Morgan
Dec 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review first appeared on my blog, Jacob's Café (http://jacobscafe.blogspot.com/2010/1...).

I recently received a complimentary copy of Jerry Bridges' audiobook version of The Pursuit of Holiness in order to review it (without any expectation of a positive review, as will be obvious here :) ). I had several theological problems with this book that bleed over to the larger issues of some of holiness movements. Let's go through these by way of some of Bridges' central points:

Factual certainty i
Kara
I recently had the opportunity to review The Pursuit of Holiness by Dr. Jerry Bridges. If you've read my reviews of several of his other books, you know that I really appreciate his writing. Dr. Bridges is able to communicate and practically apply biblical truth very effectively, with a humility and grace rarely seen. The Pursuit of Holiness is no exception. The book is definitely deserving of it's reputation as a "modern classic"!

While his book Transforming Grace emphasized God's grace in our C
Ellen Trautner
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I've never read this before! What kind of Navigator am I? Of course I loved it. It's practical, it's convicting, it's uplifting, and it's something to read again and again. I loved his point about it takes just as much faith to be obedient as it does to claim promises. Sometimes I want to skip straight to the "victory" over something, sin, etc, and I forget that it's more about the daily steps of obedience.

I've read several books by Jerry Bridges, and I've heard him speak in per
Daniel Ogweno
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books that I read shortly after I got saved. I can't remember the details of what I read but I can tell that I liked the book very much. I remember one thing though: That holiness is not optional.

I am looking forward to re-reading this book again. I will make detailed review when I do so.
JonathanT
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO THIS WAS GREAT. Not nearly as eye-opening as Respectable Sins, but still a fantastic read! I honestly just love Jerry Bridge's style so much. He writes in a way that's smooth and easy to read/understand. He doesn't try and use flowery language or big words to try and impress readers- he's straightforward, honest, and down-to-earth.

I also really like how he can walk fine lines and deal with issues in sensitive, heartfelt ways. He uses examples from his own life, which is something I LOOOVE in
booklady
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to booklady by: christianaudio
If you consider that the Number One attribute of God is Holiness and the first Commandment He gives us is to love Him, pursuing this virtue makes perfect sense. In fact, the author asks, why don't we hear more about this? Why are we so complacent about our own sanctity? Are we expecting Him to take care of it for us or do we think there's not much we can do?

Holiness is not a word most of us use in our everyday conversations and it does look a little like the author has been trying to be pun-ny
MC
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Pursuit of Holiness is one of those modern stalwarts read by many evangelicals the past quarter century or so since it's publication. The book is a short, but very thorough, book that deals with the subject (obviously, given the title) of holiness.

I decided to read the book after seeing a friend's review of it, and I must say that I was both surprised and convicted. I was surprised in how much about the subject of holiness I did not know about. How much, indeed, I would argue very few Christ
John Gardner
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I waited far too long to read this book... but better late than never!

Jerry Bridges' now-classic book on holiness has instantly vaulted up my list of must-read recommendations. It is the perfect blend of biblical exposition and practical application, which treads the delicate balance between God's sovereignty and man's responsibility.

Drawing on a metaphor from the world of farming (a tactic borrowed from Christ's earthly ministry), Bridges teaches that holiness is a joint venture  between God an
Debra
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Christians
Excellent! This is a must-read for all Christians. It's challenging. It's encouraging. It's very readable. This has been a life-changing book for me, and one I will read again and again.

Book Description:
“Be holy, for I am holy,” commands God. But holiness is something that is often missed in the Christian’s daily life. According to Navigator author Jerry Bridges, that’s because we’re not exactly sure what our part in holiness is.

In The Pursuit of Holiness, he helps us see clearly just what we sh
Becky Baylous
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book. I have learned so much. It brought many things to my attention that I wasn't aware of and has me on the right track to the pursuit of holiness.
Amanda
Good, quick read on how we really need to take seriously the pursuit of holiness. Is our goal to not sin much, or to not sin at all? I like how he gives examples of people who lived faithful lives and recommends studying them to continue to be encouraged to pursue a holy life. Nothing wowing, but a good, encouraging listen.
Rachel Yoder
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A work written both from theology and the heart. It's in my top three favorite books. I definitely recommend every Believer read it for the exhortation and teaching and freedom that it reminds us that we have found in Christ.
Jess Waters
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book! Definitely one to read more than once as is jam-packed with key truths and wisdom for pursuing biblical holiness. Highly recommend! 👌
Beth Peninger
I worked for the Navigator's in the 1990's. Part of my time with them was with NavPress so Jerry Bridges is a familiar author/name to me. Despite that exposure to him, and other Navigator authors, it has taken me until now to read even one of his books - considered by some to be classics regarding the life of a believer in God.
In this book, first written and published in the late 1970's, Bridges tackles the mystery of living a holy life. Holiness is one of those spiritual disciplines t
Ryan
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book as a freshman in college, after hearing and responding to the gospel for the first time. I remember that this book had a big impact on me then, so it was with no small curiosity and anticipation that I went back to this book recently.

This is a good book, with a solid, biblical call to holiness. Bridges' style is straightforward and engaging, and this book is short enough to be read in a handful of sittings. But the truths discussed in the book are deep, and reading a singl
Joy
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book by a long-time Navigator that I worked with for two years and admired back in the early 1970s. It's been good to follow his writings. This was his first book, which I read soon after it came out in 1978. We just finished it, using the study guide, at our Wednesday night ladies' Bible study. The big emphasis of the book is that we don't understand the proper distinction between God's provision and our own responsibility for holiness. God has made the provision and empowers us throu ...more
Melissa
This book is exactly the kind of thing I needed. I have had some of the same questions, struggles, and excuses mentioned in the book. It is written clearly and candidly, with quotes from the Bible and elsewhere that encourage and convict. We need both God's Holy Spirit and personal effort, or we will fail in the pursuit of holiness. I'm thankful for friends who were reading it and thereby inspired me to read it. A book that should be thought on and read more than once.

There is something questio
Kristen
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly my favorite book on the subject of holiness. As suggested in the title, holiness is about a constant pursuit. We never arrive at a place where we have become completely holy and Jerry Bridges reminds the reader of that. He also encourages and equips the reader with the insight and understanding to actively pursue God and, in effect, holiness.
Alexis Neal
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, religion
This book kicked my butt. Bridges is hard-hitting and insightful. His view of sin and holiness is uncompromising but not legalistic. I am extremely convicted, and plan to revisit this book many times in the future.
April Thrush
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology-bible
This was a great, wholesome book that I believe is great for both new believers and seasoned ones. There were many convicting parts in it that left an impression on me. Another life changing work from Bridges
David
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every person who claims to be a Christian or follower of Christ at some point in their life should read this book. This book is so important and fundamental that it will change your thinking about holiness forever. I wish I heard about this book seventeen years ago.
Dennis Henn
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Christian classic. Bridges makes a strong case from Scripture that we are to pursue holiness. We are saved by grace, through faith. But it is irresponsible to neglect such a great salvation by refusing to do the work of pursuing righteousness and saying no to sin.
Susan Henn
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
1/2016 Excellent explanation of God's holiness, God's command for us to be holy, and God's role in our pursuit of holiness. The author also discusses the stumbling blocks and how Satan attacks our pursuit of holiness while providing encouragement and practical help for our journey.
Sarah Vigers
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really worthwhile read. I recommend reading it slowly with a pot of coffee and a packet of tissues. Expect to be convicted, and then enjoy moving forward!
Jenny Carr
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Very thought provoking, readable, and down to earth. He draws from Puritan wisdom, and applies it to modern day living. Thoroughly recommend for all christians.
Deante Partee
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing! You'll never think about holiness the same again. Highly recommend it!
Andre Argolo
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Livraço! Com certeza imprescindível na caminhada cristã.
  • Holiness
  • Slave: The Hidden Truth About Your Identity in Christ
  • The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment
  • The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
  • The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
JERRY BRIDGES was an author and conference speaker. His most popular book, The Pursuit of Holiness, has sold over one million copies. Jerry was been on the staff of The Navigators for over fifty years, and currently served in the Collegiate Mission where he was involved primarily in staff development, but also served as a speaker resource to the campus ministries.
More about Jerry Bridges...

“In the deceitfulness of our hearts, we sometimes play with temptation by entertaining the thought that we can always confess and later ask forgiveness. Such thinking is exceedingly dangerous. God’s judgement is without partiality. He never overlooks our sin. He never decides not to bother, since the sin is only a small one. No, God hates sin intensely whenever and wherever He finds it.” 47 likes
“Too often, we say we are defeated by this or that sin. No, we are not defeated. We are simply disobedient. It might be good if we stop using the terms victory and defeat to describe our progress in holiness. Rather, we should use the terms obedience and disobedience. When I say I am defeated by some sin, I am unconsciously slipping out from under my responsibility. I am saying something outside of me has defeated me. But when I say I am disobedient, that places the responsibility for my sin squarely on me. We may in fact be defeated, but the reason we are defeated is because we have chosen to disobey.

We need to brace ourselves up and to realize that we are responsible for thoughts, attitudes, and actions. We need to reckon on the fact that we died to sin's reign, that it no longer has any dominion over us, that God has united us with the risen Christ in all His power and has given us the Holy Spirit to work in us. Only as we accept our responsibility and appropriate God's provisions will we make any progress in our pursuit of holiness.”
40 likes