Start by marking “Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking” as Want to Read:
Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

Madhur Jaffrey, the world's foremost authority on Indian cooking, shows both expert and novice cooks how to create an enticing Indian meal in just a few quick steps-and all in under 30 minutes. In 60 easy-to follow recipes, Jaffrey shares her secrets for sumptuous curries, fragrant rice dishes, hearty legumes, mouthwatering chutneys and relishes, refreshing drinks, and hea ...more
Published May 1st 1996 by Chronicle Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

Start your review of Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking
Kim
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read and ready to try out some recipes. Indian cooking is very intimidating to me, so this book seems like the perfect way to get started.
Brendan
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had actually tried offering Indian dishes I discovered on the Internet, as well as my boyfriend, a Punjabi which cherishes his meals, would pleasantly consume them. The very first time I made Ms. Jaffrey's "daily" Chick in Fried Onion Sauce, he counted on me with a huge smile on his face and states "it's nearly perfect - I would never recognize this was not prepped by a born-Indian!".
Well - that's all the proof I required! The only consistent issue we have with regards to the book is that the
Karene
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Lately I've been experimenting with Indian cooking and this book has been a fantastic way to get started. Most of the recipes are simple (as Indian cooking goes) and can be prepared in a reasonable amount of time, though I'm not sure I'd say 30 minutes, as she claims. Most of them can be prepared in 30 minutes once you've chopped your fresh ingredients, which takes some time. Again, I find that Ms. Jaffrey is an expert at flavors. These recipes come out tasting like something you'd find in a res ...more
Grace Jones-Taylor
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy to follow recipes, but not as delicious or varied as her Vegetarian India cookbook.
Viriam
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
My only reason for 3 stars is that i am a vegetarian (MJ has written some great veggie books) and this is flesh intensive. The recipes are well presented and are quick.
James Shrimpton
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A "Quick and Easy" recipe book that is actually just that. Quick, and easy. Normally these types of books are only quick and easy for a restaurant chef but Madhur Jaffrey has really made this simple. Not only that but the recipes I've tried so far are just absolutely delicious, especially the Royal Chicken and, what is now my go-to dish for having people over, the Pork Shoulder Vindaloo.

As authentic as it comes when you're taking half an hour to make a dish that normally takes a few hours, this
Lisa
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love Indian food! However, I must have picked all duds in this book. I made the mushroom curry (too garlicky) the Chicken Red Lentils & Green Beans (boring). I am on a salt free diet so maybe that little bit of salt is just ruining these recipes? Not sure, because I always do well with Neelam Batra's Vegetarian Indian Cooking. oh well. I am trying her red lentils tarka and if that sucks I am swearing Ms. Jaffrey's books off forever. ...more
Allison
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Indian food lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
This is probably my favorite cookbook ever. It is EXACTLY what it says it is and after having tried almost every recipe, I can say with certainly that if you like the flavors of India without the fuss and time, you can make some really great food from this book. Shrimp in cream sauce is the world's easiest dish and takes one bowl and one pan.
Megan Tomson
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Neil and I wanted to learn how to cook Indian food, since it's pretty much our favorite cuisine, and thought this book looked like a non-intimidating place to start. We've only made six of the recipes in here so far, but they've all been easy and utterly delicious (and one of them has already become part of our regular meal rotation). This book is going to rapidly become dog-eared.
Camille
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
When Madhur Jaffrey says "quick and easy," she means it! This is one of the best Indian cookbooks out there, in my opinion, and it has everything from the veg to non-veg menu. Most of these recipes can be finished (from prep to cook time) in 20 minutes, especially if you've kept your spice cabinet stocked. Anytime I'm wiped and want a quick, satisfying meal, this is what I look to.
Laurel
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book came out of nowhere to become not only my new favorite ethnic cookbook, but my new favorite cookbook, period. The recipes are delicious and straightforward to prepare. Not only do I recommend this particular cookbook, but also any of Chronicle Books' line of "Quick & Easy" line of ethnic cookbooks. They really do live up to their name. ...more
Jamie
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I've made about 10 dishes from this book and each has been a success. The way the recipes are written and explained practically guarantees success, and each has been really delicious. Best Indian cookbook yet.
Bee
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: domesticity
I finally broke down and bought a copy of this wonderful cookbook after checking it out from the library numerous times. It's awesome. The spicy grilled chicken combined with the tomato/cucumber/yogurt sauce is a huge favorite of mine.
Sheila
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-eats
I learned so much about Indian cooking and spices from this book. I was a young pup when it was first given to me and not very experienced in kitchen. Every recipe is easy to follow, relatively quick, and absolutely delicious.
Judy
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cookbooks
I haven't made anything from this yet, but I have read through it, and the recipes look delicious and fairly simple. The pictures are beautiful, and very tempting. I went out today to stock up on Indian spices, so that I can try some of these recipes!
Erika
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love to cook, was always a little daunted by the complexity of Indian. These recipes are, as advertised, fast, simple, and totally delicious.

Must love hot food and be willing to purchase 17 additional spice jars.
Marsha
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Read the recipes but haven't tried to cook any of them. Seems I spend more time looking at recipes than actually cooking!
J Frank Parnell
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
every recipe
Christopher Prosser
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
cookbooks
Nan.C
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great cook book. Have tried a number of recipes and found them easy to follow and have enjoyed the results, so have my family.
Beka
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Very nice. This might be a good way for someone to get started with Indian cooking since the recipes can all be made in about 30 minutes.
Kate Raven
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it
yes, i do read cookbooks for fun
Tori
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian-cooking
Very much my go-to for a good vindaloo and the meat cubes recipe is amazing.
Lee
Jul 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, 2009
I have this out from the library. The recipes look easy and delicious. Good photos.
Francine
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This cookbook has many easy to read and prepare recipes. I have chosen 5 recipes to help me on the adventure to learning a bit about Indian cuisine.

Recommended.
Teeny Dobbs
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Excellent, simple and delicious.
Allison
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
I wish it had a few more vegetable/vegetarian options, but otherwise it seems like a great book!
baxter baxter
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
Excellent recipes, quick to prepare, common ingredients.
Ann

• The It's a Wonderful Life Book
  • It's a Wonderful Life
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR
  • The Girl They Left Behind
Madhur Jaffrey CBE is an Indian-born actress, food and travel writer, and television personality. She is recognized for bringing Indian cuisine to the western hemisphere with her debut cookbook, An Invitation to Indian Cooking, which was inducted into the James Beard Foundation’s Cookbook Hall of Fame in 2006.

News & Interviews