Start by marking “Eggsecutive Orders (A White House Chef Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Eggsecutive Orders (A White House Chef Mystery #3)

Eggsecutive Orders (A White House Chef Mystery #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,995 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews
Chef Olivia Paras has too many eggs in one basket-and is feeling like a basket-case...
When NSA big shot Carl Minkus dies right after eating the dinner Olivia Paras's staff had prepared, all forks point to them. Now the Secret Service is picking apart the kitchen-and scrutinizing the staff's every move. The timing couldn't be worse with the White House Lawn Easter Egg Rol
Published January 5th 2010 by Berkley Books (first published December 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Eggsecutive Orders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eggsecutive Orders

Book Concierge
Book number three in the series has Executive Chef Ollie Paras and her staff planning for the annual Easter Egg Roll at the White House. But everything comes to a screeching halt when a dinner guest dies suddenly. This was no ordinary guest, he was the head of the National Security Agency, and poison is suspected. Ollie and her staff are banned from the kitchen, and Secret Service Agent Tom Mackenzie is specifically tasked with keeping Ollie out of the investigation!

I like this cozy mystery seri
❂ Jennifer
I was reading this while I had a lot of stuff going on and kept getting interrupted, but I have to say this was just not my favorite of the series. It had elements I really liked, but also a lot of stuff I found myself skimming over.

The plot was strong and I didn't see who did it until the end, but I guess I just can't enjoy all the animosity Ollie is surrounded with - just way too much, although perhaps some of that was resolved towards the end of the story. I'm hoping the next book will pull m
Linda
Mar 18, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bingo
Good book this time with Ollie preparing for the annual Easter Egg Roll at the White House. Of course murder ensues and causes all kinds of problems. Ollie had her mom and nana visiting her and I really liked them and hope they come to visit again. The mystery was good and I was kept guessing right up to the end. Can't wait to see what happens next in the life of my favorite White House chef!
Marian Allen
Jun 18, 2011 Marian Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read aloud to my mother, and one of my criteria for a good choice is if she laughs or gasps or goes, "Oh, no!" or says things like, "Do you think he's the guy?" or "He's turn out to be different than they think he is." I got lots of reaction to this one.

To be honest, we think it could have used a little tightening up, but that's just us. Mom is all about the thrills and I'm all about the cooking, and romance and romantic relationship ins and outs get in our way. Even so, there wasn't enough of
Melodie
Jan 02, 2010 Melodie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
This is a very good cozy mystery series and I believe this one is the best of the series yet! Ollie is a very likeable character, as are the fringe characters. This one takes place just before Easter and the man in charge of the NSA turns up dead after a White House dinner. Ollie is out to prove it wasn't caused by anyone in HER White House kitchen!
Ian
When a heavy hitter from the NSA dies suddenly at a White House dinner, suspicion immediately falls on the kitchen and Executive Chef Olivia once again finds herself investigating.

Eggsecutive Orders is another entertaining murder mystery set in the White House's kitchens. These books don't offer any real surprises but they're easy reading and good fun.
Dawn
Dec 24, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was alright. It as a 3.5 star read but I am rounding down since it just seemed to drag on & on & on for me. I still love the series though and will read the next one in the series.
Kelly
Mar 06, 2017 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I absolutely love about this series that even though it takes place at the White House, it isn't political. I really enjoyed how this book was full of surprises. Not only with the mystery, but with character revelations, too. With Ollie's Mom and Nana visiting, and Ollie, Cyan and Bucky away from the White House kitchen, we really get a chance to see a different side of them.
Cathy
2.5 stars. I keep reading this series because I like the DC and White House setting, but Ollie keeps getting more and more annoying. She's the worst kind of cozy mystery heroine, she didn't get involved in this situation by accident, she went after the investigation with singleminded determination and consistently rationalized her involvement. After she broke up with her Secret Service Agent boyfriend, Tom, she said, "Was I being selfish with my need for the freedom to poke my nose where I wante ...more
Suzanne
Oct 17, 2010 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Award-winning author Julie Hyzy does not disappoint in this latest installment in her White House Chef series of culinary mysteries.

White House chef Olivia (Ollie) Paras finds herself and her staff in hot water early one morning when she is escorted to the White House by the Secret Service following the death of a prominent guest at the White House. Suspicions that he was poisoned by something served up by the White House kitchen swirl around Ollie and her staff, as a local newspaper columnist
Jonathan
It's been a few months since I read the second in this series, and I had forgotten how good it was. This was entertaining, fun, light, and well-crafted!

I simply adore the characters, Tom, Ollie, Cyan, Bucky, Mrs. Wentworth, and Stanley. They're all well-crafted and lovable.

How could the setting get better? It couldn't. I simply love the setting of the White House and the setting gives the story a spy-thriller feel.

The mystery was well-crafted and I didn't have a clue who the killer was until Ol
Li
Mar 25, 2012 Li rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've been looking forward to this third book in Ms Hyzy's White House Chef series for ages, and unfortunately, it was a bit of a disappointment.

The story felt very disjointed, not helped by the very short chapters at the start, and the solution to the mystery didn't feel organic. I couldn't warm to Ollie either - she came across as unwilling to rely on / trust other people despite not having any real reason why, apart from her gut feelings. Too much was told, not shown. There also wasn't much o
Paige
Jul 19, 2013 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh what a great read ! I have enjoyed the first two books in this series, but this one takes the cake. When a top NSA official dies while eating dinner at the White House Ollie is under suspicion.
so she does what she does best - next to cooking. she sets out to find out who done it. In the course of events we meet Ollies Mother and grandmother who are visiting . We also meet some new characters who I hope to meet again. Readers, this one has great twists and turns and gives a surprise ending tha
Susan
White House executive chef Ollie is horrified when a guest dies after eating a dinner that her staff prepared. They're barred from the White House kitchen, and the annual Easter egg roll is coming up. Ollie's widowed mother and grandmother are visiting her, too, and Mom is showing interest in a man Ollie instinctively distrusts. And Ollie's significant other, a secret service agent, warns her to stay out of the investigation.
Andrea
Jul 27, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia Paras and her kitchen staff are suspended from the White House when a very important dinner guest dies after eating one of their meals. Are they responsible for his death? Who will save Easter events at the White House? How will Ollie get out of this jam? Another suspenseful and delicious read from Julie Hyzy and I'm already into the next book in the series.
Fred
Jan 28, 2010 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series keeps getting better.
Deb
Feb 14, 2010 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
White House intrigue, fine dining, and a wonderful peak into the workings of our government. And then there is Ollie, the unflappable chef. Really enjoyed this book.
Cooper
Feb 04, 2017 Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Hyzy has come out strong with this Ollie adventure. Ollie once again finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation and her kitchen staff are the main suspects.

As Ollie starts her day looking forward to a visit from her mother and grandmother, she's whisked away to the White House where she and her staff are interrogated. A prominent WH dinner guest has mysteriously died and the Secret Service are trying to figure out if the food he was served was poisoned. The novel's pace is quic
Kim Hawkins
Jun 07, 2017 Kim Hawkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I never would have suspected the way that one ended. As always, Ollie and company didn't disappoint. It was good to see Henry back in the mix in the kitchen as well.
Cathy
May 11, 2017 Cathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
Loved the idea of the series but hated the execution. Did not finish and won't be reading the rest of the series.
Beth
Oct 04, 2016 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Yeah, I'm done with this series, I think. I guessed the killer about halfway into the book - again. I think the author just makes it too easy - (view spoiler) ...more
Aurian Booklover
Ollie is very excited that her mother and grandmother are visiting her in Washington, she has already arranged a private tour of the White House for them. But then Ollie is called first thing in the morning to get back to the White House. Paul doesn’t want to tell her why, but there is a car waiting for her downstairs. But that is not the only thing waiting for her, besides some beefy Secret Service agents. A mob of reporters are waiting for her too, shouting their questions at her. Apparently, ...more
Sharon Bezrutczyk
Just started this series. Used to life in the Andrews AF base area and enjoy reading of the white house
Melissa
Jan 15, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, mystery
Yay, let's hear it for cozy mysteries set in the White House! Ok, so it wasn't that good, but it still was enjoyable. And I like that its set in the White House, it makes it unique. This is a part of a series and I highly suggest you read the others first or some things just won't make sense in this book.

When a dinner guest winds up dead, Ollie and her staff is on suspension. Which drives her nuts. She wants to clear her name, what with reporters and other people slamming her and accusing her of
Michelle Randall
Book 3 of the White House Chef Series begins with Ollie being awaken by a phone call telling her the Secret Service is on it's way to pick her up, what? She is confused and the confusion only grows. She finally finds out that someone at dinner last night has died, but knowing everything her kitchen and staff does, she can't understand why they are questioning her and the staff. Then she is hit with the realzation, that not only are they questioning her and her staff, they are locking them out of ...more
Mary
Jun 20, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ollie gets called early morning by the Secret Service wanting to talk with her about the fact that a guest died after eating at a State Dinner she and her staff prepared. She and her crew find themselves suspended from work while the investigation goes on, leaving Secret Service staff to cook for the First Family. Her mother and grandmother have arrived for their first visit to D.C. and her plans to show them some of the inner workings of the White House are foiled by her suspension.

As the days
Susan
This is the third book in the White House Chef Mystery series. Executive Chef Olivia "Ollie" Paras loves her job and is meticulous in her work. She and her talented staff are dedicated to preparing the highest quality meals for the White House. They research each diner's dietary restrictions carefully before planning menus. When high-ranking NSA official Carl Minkus dies after dining at the White House, the media is quick to blame Ollie. Ollie's mother and grandmother come to visit for the first ...more
Jay
Feb 26, 2016 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Book 3 of the White House Chef series, Julie Hyzy has Ollie Paras and her staff under suspicion when a guest at a dinner mysteriously passes away soon afterwards.

At a loss to explain this turn of events and effectively shut out of trying to prove her and her team's innocence, Ollie still manages to piece bits of information together while still honoring her word to her boyfriend, Secret Service agent Tom MacKenzie, to stay out of the investigation.

Hyzy fashioned a nifty little mystery in this
Matt
Oct 17, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hyzy keeps the reader’s taste buds in check with her deliciously explained meals and the brain buzzing as a new mystery surfaces in the White House Kitchen. Using her skills at writing and tantalising, Hyzy writes another great book of ‘lighter fare’ and yet keeps things from getting too ‘cheesy’ throughout. With great character continuity and development, decent dialogue, and just the right amount of drama, the reader might presume this could actually take place at the White House. Her twists a ...more
Catherine
Aug 01, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the first time I've read a book in Julie Hyzy's series and it will not be the last. I was involved right from the start. The characters were wonderfully relatable, the plot kept moving forward at a quick pace, and the setting of Washington, DC was not just an add-on. I read this book as I was watching the Olympics and there were times when I muted the TV because I was enjoying the book so much.

Ollie, the Executive Chef at the White House, prepares a dinner for a the President and special
Play Book Tag: Eggsecutive Orders / Julie Hyzy - 3*** 1 8 Sep 26, 2016 01:47PM
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • Driven to Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1)
  • Roast Mortem (Coffeehouse Mystery, #9)
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
  • A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
1020232
Author of the White House Chef Mystery series, including the 2009 Anthony and Barry Award-winning State of the Onion.
Books in the series:

Grace Takes Off
Grace Against the Clock

Oth
More about Julie Hyzy...

A White House Chef Mystery (9 books)
  • State of the Onion (A White House Chef Mystery, #1)
  • Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • Fonduing Fathers (A White House Chef Mystery, #6)
  • Home of the Braised (A White House Chef Mystery, #7)
  • All the President's Menus (A White House Chef Mystery, #8)
  • Foreign Éclairs (A White House Chef Mystery #9)