Start by marking “Winning with People” as Want to Read:
Winning with People

Winning with People

Ask the successful CEOs of major corporations, entrepreneurs, top salespeople, and pastors what characteristic is most needed for success in leadership positions, and they'll tell you-it's the ability to work with people.

Some people are born with great relationship skills, but those who are not can learn to improve them. In Winning with People Maxwell has translated decad

Paperback
Published June 30th 2006 by Nelson (Thomas) Publishers,U.S. (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Winning with People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning with People

Start your review of Winning with People
Isis Sousa
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Like other Maxwell books, this one is also a very pleasant read. Maxwell's captivating writing style and the interesting topics he brings up within this book will inpire you.

As I read each principle, I reflected upon the complex subject of relationships. Here are some of the eye-openers for me:

The lens principle: who you are determine how you see others.

The charisma principle: people is interested in people who is interested in them.

The bedrock principle: trust is the foundation of any relations
Melanie
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Great book if you are a married American male with kids.
“A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend; a successful woman is one who can find such a man.” This quote comes from the section of the book in which the author demonstrates that men and women are different.

My manager recommended this book to me so I diligently read it. Examples are either based on American baseball facts, American history, husband / father situations. Through the book, there is only a handful o
Scott
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Former pastor turned leadership guru, John C. Maxwell is known for his insight and experience when it comes to the business industry. What I find helpful is Maxwell’s teachings are applicable to other environments such as church, small groups, and relationships. His 2004 release Winning With People specifically deals with relationships. Quite frequently the mindset of the business world is “What can I do to get ahead?” or “How can I succeed?” Maxwell challenges the reader to think outside of the ...more
Nick
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, own
There was a lot of good wisdom in this book. There were also many examples and memorable illustrations. I find John Maxwell's books easy to remember. He puts his lessons in easy to process ways. Some people don't like that, but I think it's helpful.
Jason D'Souza
Oct 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I like John Maxwell, but if your going to read a book on winning people, read dale Carnegies How To Win Friends And Influence People. If you already read the book and are tempted to read Maxwells book next... don't. Instead reread Dale Carnegie.
Mckinley
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very gentle approach to friendly, kind ways to interact with others. Discusses 5 central concerns: readiness, connection, trust, investment and synergy. Lots of examples and questions bring points home.

Readiness - who we are determines how we see others, know yourself first, hurting people hurt people, never hammer someone, we can lift up or take people down

Connection - entire world, except 1, is composed of others; put ourselves in our place not others; each person has potential to teach us so
Paula
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, how-to
I've read other books by Maxwell. There was a man in my church who suggested I read a book by John Maxwell. I trusted his opinion so I did. Then I decide to read another. I read another and when this 'unofficial spiritual mentor' of mine asked me what I thought, I was afraid to say anything. Turns out he even believed "if you've read one John Maxwell book, you've pretty much read them all." Epigraphs in the little book on teamwork include quotes by himself. (that was a turn-off) Other books, I c ...more
Ricky
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wasn't surprised when the author revealed that he is a devout Christian - the takeaway from this short book is that if you will win with people if you are a good, honest, and generous person. That's a better message than the list of psychological tricks I anticipated, but I can't say I really learned anything new. The non-stop anecdotes felt a bit formulaic, and some didn't make sense to me: A man slipped another (less fortunate) dad $20 to help buy circus tickets. So we should give others mon ...more
Christopher
May 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
One word, GAY.

This might be good for the touchy feel sensitive person but for me I could not stand to read this. It mentions different strategies on how to deal with people and some principles behind it, but the entire time I kept saying to myself "TELL THESE PEOPLE TO STOP BEING SUCH WHINEY BRATS"

I'll take my advice from Jim Collins where he says that if you hired properly in the first place, then you eliminate most of your people problems in the future.
iänỳ
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I learned quite a deal from it. He touches on some important and useful life lessons in terms of relationships and daily interactions. Read it if you don't easily take to people (generally speaking) or often find yourself in negative dysfunctional relationships. And read it even if neither one of those applies.
Nicholas Bradley
Dec 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone trying to strengthen leadership understanding
I read this book with a group of people and we had a good time discussing the various chapters and pinpointing where we were strong and where we were weak. Maxwell always uses great analogies and stories and his books are always filled with good lessons you can use later. This book is no exception.
Cynthia O'Donnell
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You just can't go wrong with any of John Maxwell's books. If you deal directly with people, then this book is for you. This book helps you identify ways to strengthen your relationships with people and helps you grow your interpersonal skills. A must for all sales people.
Katie Buckner
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book with valuable insight on how to interact with people. Not only does it teach you valuable tricks to appear friendlier, but the author notes many times that being a genuinely nice person who cares about others goes a long way. He gives practical, implementable methods to be better. The book also helps you understand the motivations of others, and gives you the freedom not to take everything personally.
Esteban Aguilar
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent guideline for cultivating relationships

John Maxwell’s books are excellent in their writing and their content. No exception here. The book provides not only a guideline in the people principles to win with people, but also the insight into why those principles are important. Read to improve your relationships, you may discover that what you are doing may not be the best and understand how to make it better.
Beau Hoffman
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Winning with people is one of Maxwell's better books, in my opinion. It helps shed so much light on interpersonal communication and how to successfully recognize your own negative keys and triggers, and help identify and relate with others' positive keys and triggers.
Tim Kelley
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my fifth John C. Maxwell book. I couldn't recommend them more. These books have undoubtedly changed my perspective on life and taught me many invaluable lessons. This particular book was terrific, but you can't go wrong with any of them.
Beckynovacek
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love John Maxwell's books. You can just count on him for consistently good and practical ideas for living out your life in a way that has a positive impact.
Bryan
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great advice on the value of others and to build teamwork using effective leadership skills.
X
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the modern How to win friends and influence people
Farhan Safi
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He has become my favourite writer on leadership after this book. Truly amazing.
Ray Chan
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transform your people skills & hence your life!

Many practical & effective ideas to help you build stronger & happier relationship at work and life!
Highly recommended to all!
Lisa Tobin
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even if you don't work directly with people, this can help you in every facet of your life
Mark Roossinck
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, leadership
Practical and down to earth; many, many antidotes, very helpful on the personal level.
Franklin Akinkunmi
Good Read!

Definitely a good read, highly recommend to all. So blessed by the examples used in the chapters. #Leadership inspired from first chapter.
Susan
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would give this 4.5 stars. Very well written. Would love to implement the ideas, just not sure if I can transition from reading to doing, hence not an unequivocal five stars.
Gideon Liem
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read, with good tips follow up on.
Christopher Ong
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very practical and insightful book on being successful with your relationships!
Jose Dominguez
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want to build better relationships with people this is one of the books I recommend
Ahmad Nazeri
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
John Maxwell makes an argument for a handful of compelling and practical principles (see shared highlights) for becoming effective with people.
Aliyu

• The Dream Giver
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Leader In You: How to Win Friends, Influence People and Succeed in a Changing World
  • The One Minute Millionaire: The Enlightened Way to Wealth
  • Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • How To Enjoy Your Life And Your Job
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age
  • See You at the Top: 25th Anniversary Edition
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more