Start by marking “Speeches and Writings 1859–1865” as Want to Read:
Speeches and Writings 1859–1865

Speeches and Writings 1859–1865

Abraham Lincoln, America’s heroic Civil War president, was also the greatest writer ever to occupy the White House. His addresses at Gettysburg and at his inaugurals, his presidential messages and public lectures, are an essential record of the war and have forever shaped the nation’s memories of it. This Library of America volume collects writings from 1859 to 1865 and ...more
Published October 1st 1989 by Library of America

To ask other readers questions about Speeches and Writings 1859–1865, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speeches and Writings 1859–1865

Start your review of Speeches and Writings 1859–1865
Sleeping with Ghosts
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favourite American President ...more
robin friedman
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Leadership And Eloquence

This is the second volume of the Library of America Project devoted to the works of Abraham Lincoln. It covers the period after the Lincoln-Douglas Debates and includes many of the records of the Lincoln Presidency and the Civil War. The standard Lincoln materials are included, of course, such as the Gettysburg Address, the Emancipation Proclamation, and the Inaugural Addresses. But there is immeasurably more. We see Lincoln writing to his Generals, Cabinet members, and
Scott
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lincoln couldn't write a bad letter. I kept my Ipad handy throughout this book so I could look up people and events I knew a little about but wanted to know more about because of Lincoln's letters (and the skimpy notes). I loved this book.
Whiskey
If the Gettysburg Address is the pinnacle of Abraham Lincoln’s oratorical achievement in terms of expressiveness and influence, it is still but one exhibit from our sixteenth president’s considerable legacy as speaker and author. Any collection of his speeches, letters, proclamations, and miscellaneous writings—the best is the two-volume set published by the Library of America, which includes complete transcripts of his celebrated 1858 debates with Stephen A. Douglas during their Illinois senate ...more
Henry
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's solid for research and primary source work, but there's so many speeches in here that are relatively mundane that it's not much for a source of inspiration or a page turner. Still, great speeches are in this book though.
Sherri Anderson
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating read! Though I had rad most of the major speeches the book had quite a few minor speeches that were very enlightening about Lincoln that I had never knew.
Tim
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Moving writings that illuminate Lincoln’s thoughts and methods. Reading these many letters and speeches shows a consistent pattern to Lincoln’s beliefs.
Adelina
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: adults, history lovers
Shelves: lincoln
not much can go wrong when compiling a book of Lincolns Speeches, writings, and letters. It was only hard to follow because all the notes were at the end, and nothing pointed that way. If you wanted to know something more, you had to look in the end notes, and hope there might be a note on it. A little more organization would've been good. I did enjoy reading things he wrote, and I have gained even greater respect for the man, if that is possible!
Luther Wilson
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lincoln is an amazing writer, when he wants to be, as some of his letters and written speeches prove. This & the companion volume are perfect for my needs, as far as being able to sample large parts of Lincoln's writings.
Thomas Mackie
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lincoln-studies
We use this book for all the basic Lincoln biography classes at Lincoln Memorial University. It has all the main speeches and big letter of importance. It is a good collection to understand the public face and beliefs of Lincoln.
Keeko
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading his letters is seeing a precise, gentle, slyly humorous, wise mind at work. I love his heart. I'm grateful to Library of America and the team who worked on these books because now I understand why he was great.
Winter Sophia Rose
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When You Get Discouraged Read Lincoln!
David
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
The speeches are a tad long, but I love his letters, which are succinct and witty. They don't sound like anything written by a politician.
John Strickland
Aug 09, 2014
p
Nov 23, 2014
Fritz
rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2015
Jun 20, 2016
Ireen Taylor
Oct 10, 2018

• Abraham Lincoln and the Second American Revolution
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Small Victories: Spotting Improbable Moments of Grace
  • The Eve of Destruction: How 1965 Transformed America
  • Memoirs and Selected Letters
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II
  • Abraham Lincoln, a Man of Faith and Courage: Stories of Our Most Admired President
  • To Feel the Music: A Songwriter's Mission to Save High-Quality Audio
  • Lincoln's Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural
  • The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew #5)
  • Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
  • The Senate Intelligence Committee Report on Torture: Committee Study of the Central Intelligence Agency's Detention and Interrogation Program
  • Almost Everything: Notes on Hope
  • Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival
  • Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe
  • Sea of Glory: America's Voyage of Discovery, the U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate ...more
“The democracy of to-day hold the liberty of one man to be absolutely nothing when in conflict with another man's right of property...
This is a world of compensations; and he would -be- no slave must consent to -have- no slave. Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it.
All honor to Jefferson - to the man who, in the concrete pressure of a struggle for national independence by a single people, had the coolness, forecast, and capacity to introduce into a merely revolutionary document, an abstract truth, applicable to all men and all times, and so embalm it there, that to-day, and in all coming days, it shall be a rebuke and a stumbling-block to the very harbingers of re-appearing tyranny and oppression. Your obedient Servant,
[Abraham Lincoln]
April 6, 1859, in a letter to MA State Rep Henry L. Pierce
Springfield, Ill.”
1 likes
“My dear Sir.
Yours of the 13th. is just received. My engagements are such that I can not, at any very early day, visit Rock-Island, to deliver a lecture, or for any other object.
As to the other matter you kindly mention, I must, in candor, say I do not think myself fit for the Presidency. I certainly am flattered, and gratified, that some partial friends think of me in that connection; but I really think it best for our cause that no concerted effort, such as you suggest, should be made.
Let this be considered confidential. Yours very truly,
{Abraham Lincoln}”