Start by marking “Homo Domesticus: Notes from a Same-Sex Marriage” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
What happens when you pair a romantic with a nonromantic? Where does the twain meet when you like to wow your lover with an original song and he thinks a bar of soap is a thoughtful gift? In his charming, often hilarious account of his decade-long relationship with his boyfriend (now husband), journalist David Valdes Greenwood sets the record straight on gay marriage, play ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Da Capo Press

To ask other readers questions about Homo Domesticus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homo Domesticus

Avory
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Ho hum. Part of it may be that I had just read Dan Savage's The Kid, and so I was judging this tale of gay marriage and adoption by a high standard, but though I found it a decent light read, I wasn't particularly enthralled. It's a fairly run-of-the-mill memoir, despite the compelling subject matter.
Jdetrick
Such a well-written book that really spoke to many of my own experiences. It's both funny and touching, and even when it moves into areas that don't mirror my own life, I found it well worth reading.
Deborah

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68 · rating details · 91 ratings · 16 reviews
Geoff
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Once again, I have to say something about other Goodreads reviews that’s not very nice. Multiple people have compared this book to Dan Savage’s The Kid and although yes, they are comparable, they are not the same thing. Savage’s book focuses on the adoption process and this book focuses on wait for it, a Same Sex Marriage (see what I did there, I stole it directly from the subtitle). In addition there are people whinging about the plainness of this marriage. Aren’t all marriages boring to anyone ...more
Ari
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
There were some really touching moments in this book. I enjoyed that the author didn't shy away from the grittier parts of his relationship. The good and the bad were laid out quite frankly, which I appreciated and found comforting. There were some humorous parts, though I didn't find myself overwhelmed by the brilliance of the writing. It felt more like I was speaking with a friend and hearing their relationship's history, which I think we all know can become rather boring after a while. I thin ...more
Hannah
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Based on this book, we can pack up and stop fussing about marriage equality, because apparently married queer people talking about their marriages is just as deathly boring as married straight people talking about their marriages. I had high hopes for a book that charted the life cycle of a queer relationship through the usual milestones of marriage, homeownership and family formation, but ended up skimming most of it, hoping for any kind of original insight and finding it sorely lacking in Vald ...more
Sarah Fisher
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
A book that should be mandatory reading for those opposed to equal marriage rights for all.

It really does border on trite and boring, but maybe that's the point. These gay guys make marriage just as ordinary, non-scandalous, and dull as the majority of straight marriages. And they fight. And then they get a kid. An example of how none of us are all that different.

The strengths of this book lie in the authors overly honest writing style which, when the relationship was in trouble, could give an u
Ashley W
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone in a relationship
This book is so funny and touching. Anyone in a relationship can identify with the stages that Dave and Jason go thru, from courtship to bickering to breaking up to getting back together again. The final chapters about adopting their daughter and becoming parents are wonderful. (esp since I'm mentioned in there!- full disclosure: the author is a friend of mine).
Seriously, tho, this book will make you laugh out loud and maybe even bring a sweet tear to your eye. A great read.
Michael
Mar 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I almost gave up on this book. Not until Chapter 10 (A Threat To Marriage section) did it grab me because it started to talk about serious issues. All the chapters previous to it would have made it just another typical gay/happy/idealistic "gays are the best at relationships" book.

The author was able to turn it around and make this a worthwhile and realistic read.

Thank you for that.

Matthew
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Meh, it was ok. I enjoyed reading it casually in the tub, but wasn't really a serious read.
It was nice to compare their relationship to my own (I married a few months back), but it was no more exciting than my own relationship. Not a bad boook, and I don't regret reading it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a copy.
Sara Allen
May 23, 2007 rated it liked it
It was an easy read and enjoyable— I read it in a day while working at a photo shoot. I felt the author focused 4 chapters too many on his early years, and didn't get into the bitter same-sex marriage debate until late in the book, summing it briefly toward the end, as well as rushing through the adoption of his child. A little messy.
Michael
Apr 28, 2009 rated it liked it
It's a sweet story, very well-written, but it lacks flavor. I enjoyed the time I spent reading it (about two hours total) and was never bored, but I felt like Valdes Greenwood was trying to make sure he didn't piss anybody off. I would recommend to anyone looking for a pleasant read with a likable look into the lives of this gay couple.
Melody
Nov 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Engaging memoir that manages to be hard-edged and schmaltzy at the same time. The husbands are likable and human, the lessons they learn ring true. I hope Valdes Greenwood is still taking notes on his life, as I want to read more.
Pierced Librarian
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Not, by any stretch, is Mr. Valdes Greenwood a dan Savage level writer. But this is a nice luke-warm trot through his experience being a domesticated partner to his long-suffering husband.
DDog
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fluffy, yet satisfying. Like cake.
John
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Didn't pack quite the punch of A Little Fruitcake, but still an interesting, well-written sequel.
Katherine
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A fun, enjoyable read.
Aly
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Ok, so it was fluff. But likeable fluff.
Justine
Jan 21, 2013
Henny Blanco
Apr 16, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Valdes Greenwood is the author of two memoirs, Homo Domesticus and A Little Fruitcake, and the new narrative nonfiction book The Rhinestone Sisterhood. As a playwright, his work has been staged coast to coast and in the UK. A former freelance journalist, Valdes Greenwood is best known for his Boston Globe columns.
More about David Valdes Greenwood...