Start by marking “The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)

The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest #6)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  6,311 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
The evil Shadow Lord has become aware that Lief, Barda and Jasmine are searching for the seven lost gems of the magic Belt of Deltora. He knows that if the gems can be restored to the belt, it's power will threaten his tyranny.

Five gems have already been found. The next stone lies hidden in the underwater lair of the hideous and ferocious Glus. Already exhausted, pursued b
Published September 30th 2000 (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Maze of the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maze of the Beast

Sara Kamjou
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
سه واژه: خلاقیت، ماجراجویی و دوستی.
جنس دوستی توی کتاب مخصوصا توی این جلد برام خیلی لذتبخش بود.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest #6), Emily Rodda
عنوان: هزاتوی هیولا؛ نویسنده: امیلی رودا؛ مترجم: محبوبه نجف خانی؛ تهران، قدیانی، 1382؛ در 160 ص، مصور، نقشه؛ فروست: در جستجوی دلتورا؛ رمان نوجوانان؛ شابک: 978964176814؛ چاپ چهارم 1386؛ چاپ پنجم 1388؛ چاپ ششم 1389؛ موضوع: جادوگری - داستانهای کودکان و نوجوانان از نویسندگان امریکایی قرن 20 م
Max Grant
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be one of the better novels in the series. It had much mystery to it, as it was set out in a much unfamiliar environment to me (Underwater, Maze). Throughout the entire book, you could never really tell what was going to happen until the moment you started reading the exact situation. Even though you can't actually see what's going on, The mental image you can paint in your mind is so in depth, This is because the author Emily Rodda has worded the novel to make it extremely ...more
Regina
This one was a seriously packed one. In three hours we went ALL over. So to recap: (view spoiler) ...more
Winter
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it lots of drama and new characters added in twas great cool twists and turns in there journey
Jenny
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75
Marchel
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cerita keenam Lief, Barda, n Jasmine dalam menemukan kembali permata-permata yg direbut musuh dan disebar di seluruh Deltora.

Sudah 5 permata yg ditemukan dan direbut kembali. Dan semakin lama Raja Bayangan akan semakin menyadari bahwa seseorang sedang mengumpulkan kembali permata-permata itu untuk disatukan kembali dalam Sabuk Deltora.

Setelah Gunung Kengerian semakin jauh, permukaan tanah berubah menjadi rawa-rawa di sana sini. Ketiga sekawan itu menyadari kalau mereka telah sampai di daerah Bar
Jess
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Maze of the Beast was a wonderful read. Rereading favourite books from childhood as an adult, you begin to see themes you would not have recognised or appreciated in full as a child. For me, this novel seemed to centre on the concept of trust. With ols prowling and new characters and old entering the tale (Dain and Doom), Lief, Barda and Jasmine have to play a dangerous game, deciphering truth from lies and fact from illusion.

The value of the three heroes as a team is also highlighted, parti
Iri
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deltora
Reread 2. 6. 2015

Dát jedné mé kamarádce přečíst Deltoru a zvláště tento díl, asi by se mnou už v životě nepromluvila. Není totiž nad velkého děsivého slimáka, který je navíc popsaný brilantně. A právě takový brilantně popsaný slimák by pro chudáka kamarádku, co se těchto tvorů všeobecně panicky bojí, asi nebylo to pravé ořechové. Ale povím to takhle - tahle příšera byla zatím popsaná asi nejgeniálněji, všechna čest. Říkám si, že za kamarádčinu reakci by možná trochu toho risku stálo podstoupit.
Sarah Eagle
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You would think that as a series goes on, it starts hitting a plateau and getting worse. You would be wrong for this series! Rodda has such a tight plan that at almost no point during most of these books do you feel the story drags, and never is something done without intent.
This particular installation in the series does several things; it adds to the grand scheme of what's going on outside the quest, it builds up tension and helps us get to know the villain, the Shadow Lord, it gives us new d
Samantha Tolleson
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th graders and up
Recommended to Samantha by: Goodreads
 photo areyouhavingfunyet_zpse9fb64f0.gif

So far this entire series has been very enjoyable and amusing. If this had been written for adults I believe this could have possibly been really big. As it is; it was written for children. The action and violence is really glazed over. Also it is very hard to grasp the passing of time in this plotline. The adventure itself is superb.
Renay
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
fun and flying through adventures and hair raising scary bits, the book uses language that is easy to read, and interestingly written.
still fluking his way through misadventures and amazingly overcoming odds, our hero lief and his companions are well on their way to saving deltora.
man, if it's this eaasy to be a super hero, i think I should become one!
lief has learned not much as his story goes along, and has little or no skill, but manages to beat beast after beast, and odd and bewildering eve
Saeed dourandish
lif , barda va jasmin , 3hamsafari hastand ke tanha noghteye moshtarakeshan , nefrat az doshmani vahed ast. anha baraye peyda kardane 7 gohare jadoiie kamarband nacharand dast be jost o johaye khatar naki bezanand
zira tanha zamani ke kamarband kamel shavad arbabe saye ha sarnegoon mishavad.
ta be hal , 5 gohar peyda shode ast.
sange 6m da laneye hayolaii be name gelase zesht va holnak , zire ab makhfi shode ast.
lif , barda va jasmin ke tahte taghibe khademane arbabe saye ha hastand , be tamame nir
Lairmemo
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two books left to go, and the series is reaching its climax quickly. However, this installment didn't seem as exciting as the previous books, and the guardian of this gem seemed a bit weak. The pirate storyline was interesting, and I liked it. I also like our new character, Dain, and the introduction to these shapeshifting creatures named "Ols". The Glus and the maze was interesting, but I felt that this book was almost unneeded. Was it bad? No! But I'm only going to give it a 4/5 because this i ...more
Amanda Logo
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even imagine what this author has in store for the last two books of this energetic series! Just when I think she's run out of room, she creates yet another amazing conflict/challenge and although some things are coming together (which I like, it means the storyline will not rush to an end in the final book) she's taking risks by introducing new characters and mysteries to accompany them!
Tim
Jul 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Installment #6 in the "Deltora Quest" series. Actually, I like this one about as much as the first one "Forests of Silence." More action (Pirates! Shape-shifters! Gross monsters! Lots of stuff!) and less talk than the others, thus making it go quicker, so 'twas a fun romp, but the series is getting darker and more ominous (Harry Potter fans would know, but this is MUCH less disturbing!). Two to go!
Frank
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great read in Deltora Quest series. Pirates and Ols (which can take on the shape of anything or anyone) give them a tough time. They also decide to split up so as not to be easily discovered. But will they ever meet up again. And so the sixth stone appears to be lost for ever. I don't know how Emily Rodda keeps coming up with new characters and creatures as well as new situations. Don't miss this one.
Ihamilto
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leif has been chosen to restore the belt of Deltora. Accompanied Barda and Jasmine they returned five gen back to the belt, the Topaz, the Ruby, the Opal, the Lapis Lazuli and the Emerald. They are now on there way to the Maze of the Beast to get the Amethyst. They have been captured by pirate and was thrown into the Maze of the Beast. The pirates called the beast "The Glus". While Barda and Jamine distracted the beast while Leif trys to find the gem.
Jason
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Imaginitive, but a little strange this time around. The author certainly has made each of the quests different and engaging...not getting the same thing each time around. I also like the fact that she is having to get other characters involved...more engaging as the story is going and realistic in so far as the characters would not be able to go around for as long as they have without attention and ultimately needing help from others along the way.
Calina Benassa
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this whole series, but this book in particular was my absolute favorite. I had the whole set as a 9 year old, and I made my parents bring them to the hospital with us when I was admitted that year. They were that good. Emily Rhoda is a master of writing to intrigue the young mind, and I suggest these books for all up and coming adventurers.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Perhaps I'm just not cut out to be a series reader. I've been reading the Deltora Quest books to my 10 year old son. We don't get to read every night now, and this has drawn it out too much. I lost track of the story, and couldn't keep the characters straight. My son still loves the series, and we want to make it through all 8, but for now I need a break.
Clare Keogh
This book was another great one in the Deltora Quest series. I would recommend this to people who are interested in action, adventure and possibly mystery. I like Deltora Quest because of the mystery. Trying to figure out who the traitors are and trying to crack the numerous codes makes the books fun for me.
Heather
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This sixth Deltora Quest book left me wondering if the three beloved characters would find the gem and escape right until the very end (though with two more books the answer should have been obvious). As usual, I wholeheartedly recommend The Maze of the Beast and the entire Deltora Quest series (which must be read in order) to people of all ages. It truly makes a wonderful family read aloud.
JacobT
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror/fantasy lovers
Shelves: great-books
The sixth book in the Deltora Quest series. The Maze of the Beast was unique because it was probably the scariest of them all. The terrifying slug creature that created an unescapable labrynth made of his own silky goo. The slug is fast, scary-looking, and sends chills down your spine. I had a couple nightmares after this one.
Arito Sato
日本語版
デルトラ・クエスト〈6〉魔物の洞窟
Brad
Probably the most lackluster of the series so far. She probably should have had 4 or 5 books in the series instead of 8. Best parts of this book were the monsters that can shapeshift to look like other people or animals ("Ols"), and Steven / Nevets. I hope we see more of him in the next book.

Rating: PG, for fantasy action violence.
Chris Mcwilliams
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Rodda has done it again, yet another action packed novel about the adventures of Lief and his friends on their long journey. I especially enjoyed this book as it adds a new aspect to the challenges the group faces as they tried to retake Deltora. In conclusion, this book has set me up for what I expect to be a climatic finish!
Marcus
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing because the companions: Lief, Barda and Jasmine survived such a ginormous beast called the Glus. They found the amethyst in a rock where the Glus had crept by and near where they had slept. My favourite bit was when the amethyst was found.
Diane
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens-ya
It's hard to believe how consistently good each book in this series is! This one was no exception. New monsters, different landscape, clever treachery, a harrowing finish, a new friend and returning characters make this a satisfying book.
Lucky Lion
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, mainly because of the introduction of Ols, which I think the author did a really good job putting into the story. I also thought that this book was wonderfully creepy and scary.
  • By Fire, by Moonlight (Unicorns of Balinor, #4)
  • The Book from Baden Dark
  • The High King's Daughter (Circle of Magic, #6)
  • Sepron The Sea Serpent (Beast Quest, #2)
  • Worry Warts (Misery Guts, #2)
  • Clovermead: In the Shadow of the Bear
  • Parados øye (Phenomena, #2)
  • The Final Conflict
  • Astro Boy, Vol. 2 (Astro Boy, #2)
  • The Warning (Animorphs, #16)
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.
More about Emily Rodda...

Deltora Quest (8 books)
  • The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1)
  • The Lake of Tears (Deltora Quest, #2)
  • City of the Rats (Deltora Quest, #3)
  • The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4)
  • Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)
  • The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)
  • Return to Del (Deltora Quest, #8)