Start by marking “Boys to Men: The Transforming Power of Virtue” as Want to Read:
Boys to Men: The Transforming Power of Virtue

Boys to Men: The Transforming Power of Virtue

Need a spiritual workout? Boys to Men: The Transforming Power of Virtue, by Tim Gray and Curtis Martin, is a Bible study designed specifically for men who want to build their spiritual strength. Each challenging lesson combines rich Scriptural teaching with centuries of Christian wisdom to train today's men for the virtuous life. With thought-provoking questions at the end ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Emmaus Road Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Boys to Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boys to Men

Start your review of Boys to Men: The Transforming Power of Virtue
Nathaniel Turner
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this book as part of a morning men's group. For that purpose, it definitely had a lot of value, but I probably would not pick this book up to read it again for my own edification. Having said that, I think that my complaints about this book may be unique to me.

So, good things first: it covers the four cardinal virtues and the three theological virtues. It addresses each carefully and in accordance with the tradition of the Catholic Church. It encourages the reader to pursue each virtue in
Patrick O'Hannigan
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is not really a book about raising boys, although it can be used profitably for that purpose.

When Tim Gray alludes to the progression in maturity that grows boys into men, he is also writing about the conversion to which any adult can commit. "Boys" in this usage are akin to the "men without chests" about whom C.S. Lewis wrote four generations ago. Both groups, aided by grace (read: Jesus) grow into their God-given strength through the practice of the cardinal and theological virtues (The
Adam Ybarra
May 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alreadyread
Great book on the Theological and Cardinal virtues in a practical way
Joseph
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to me by a fellow catholic, was alright.
Rich
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
It was ok. I found the discussions with my men’s group to be more enlightening than the actual book.
Brent Soderstrum
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-read
I won this book through GoodReads First Read program.

Boys to Men deals with seven virtues. Virtues are distinguished from values in that values are what we think while virtues are what we actually do. I felt this book put too much emphasis on "self actions" instead of God's grace. God's grace is mentioned a few times in passing but not discussed much in depth.

This is also a book written for not just Christian men but Catholic men. I didn't think that was a big deal before I started reading the b
Nathan Vani
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very insightful read to all men.
It's rather short ! But the basic principles are an excellent foundation any man looking to journey the road of self-discovery and the journey finding your place as a godly man in today's world.
J.R.
Jul 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
If you're looking for a book on virtues, you can do better than this one.
Thadeus
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
This is a strong action book with a chapter on each of the seven virtues with practical applications with each. Definitely a book worthy of re-reading.
Nick Aho
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
very good book in the part of virtues. it expounds on many things that you would have never thought of
rob
« previous 1 3 next »

• Recruit (Belial #4)
  • Behold the Pierced One: An Approach to a Spiritual Christology
  • From Fire, by Water: My Journey to the Catholic Faith
  • Catholicism in the time of coronavirus
  • He Leadeth Me
  • The Fathers of the Church: An Introduction to the First Christian Teachers
  • Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • The Man God Uses
  • The End of the Affair
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • Every Man's Battle: Winning the War on Sexual Temptation One Victory at a Time
  • Whole Again: Healing Your Heart and Rediscovering Your True Self After Toxic Relationships and Emotional Abuse
  • Saint Maximilian Kolbe: Knight of the Immaculata
  • Be A Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be
  • A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1-3)
  • The Warrior Ethos
  • Letters to a Young Poet
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
Dr. Timothy Gray is President and Associate Professor of Sacred Scripture at The Augustine Institute.

He received an MA from Franciscan University of Steubenville, ThM from Duke University, and PhD in Biblical Studies from Catholic University of America.

Under Dr. Gray’s guidance, the Augustine Institute has created Symbolon, a comprehensive program of faith formation for adults, YDisciple, to infor

News & Interviews