Start by marking “Along Came A Demon (Whisperings, #1)” as Want to Read:
Along Came A Demon (Whisperings, #1)

Along Came A Demon (Whisperings #1)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  1,555 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
I'm told the dead are all around us. I wouldn't know about that, I see only the violently slain. They can be victims of hit-and-run, innocents caught in a cross-fire, the murdered. They whisper to me and they never, ever, forget the face of their killer. I've learned to live with my uncanny ability, in fact I've made a career out of it.

The departed aren't the only supernat
Published May 6th 2009 (first published March 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Along Came A Demon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Along Came A Demon

Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was mostly just okay for me. Not exceptionally good, but good enough. Not exceptionally bad either.

Tiff sees and speaks with the dead. She also sees "demons" for what they truly are - not hidden behind glamour which makes them seem more human-like (well "utterly perfect" human-like.) Turns out the demons are not really demons but a different race all together, sort of a cross between fae and demons is probably the best way I can think of to describe them.

Tiff uses her skills of speaking t
Peggy
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oddly enough I found this more enjoyable than I thought. The combination of a person who communicates with the spirits of people who died difficult deaths with a police officer who is from another world made for an interesting story line. At the end of the book the 2 main characters are contemplating starting their own investigative firm.
There are plenty of interesting support characters to add flavor to the story while not distracting from it.
Sharon
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
is book one of the Whisperings Paranormal Mystery Series.

Need I mention he’s handsome? He’s one of those men to whom every woman’s eyes are drawn when he walks into the room, and they see him as a human male. I see him as he is. His copper and gold streaked hair reaches his shoulder blades when unbound, and when he’s excited it swirls and emits sparks, as if full of electricity. His eyes are deep copper-brown, like new pennies, and glint when he moves. He has a demon’s angular face and high che
Lisa Cox
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am almost embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed this book. It is not at all in a genre I usually visit. I picked up a copy of Indie Chicks: 25 Women 25 Personal Stories when it was offered for free, and after reading the first few chapters of Along Came a Demon, I *had* to buy it. I kept imagining the actress Mary McCormack (In Plain Sight) playing Tiff.

The writing is fresh, fun, a little gritty, and the main character is tough, believable, and almost instantly sympathetic. I love the writin
Melindeeloo
2 stars = okay - I ended up pretty neutral in my reaction to Along Came A Demon. There are a lot of familiar pieces stitched together in this story. The basics are: the heroine can see and talk to ghosts, she is a consultant to the local police department, she has two dead housemates, and the ghost of a murdered woman turns up on her lawn asking for help. In addition to seeing ghosts, she also sees 'demons' - who seem very fae-like with their glamor and aversion to iron filings.

In and of itself
Carol Kerry-green
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, mystery, 2011
Brilliant, I loved this straight away, Tiff Banks (don't dare to call her Tiffany) shares her home with two roommates, Mel and Jack, except their both ghosts, violently slain by the previous owner of Tiff's home they remain in the house and become Tiff's 'family'. Tiff can see and talk to the ghosts of the violently slain, whether murdered or killed in automobile crashes etc. Her skill has led her to become a consultant for the local Police Department who were skeptics at first but as her inform ...more
Marianne
Tiff can see the dead, the violently slain, she can also sense the Otherworldly, whom she calls demons. All mesmerizingly beautiful, able to seduce at will, and deadly. Due to her gift, she is a consultant for the PD. So when Tiff discovers a dead woman outside her home, who claims to have a missing son that nobody remembers, she vows to help out. The only problem: demons are out for the same boy, and she gets partnered up with the most gorgeous detective... Unfortunately also a demon, who won't ...more
So, I Read This Book Today
But, soft: behold! lo where it comes again!
I’ll cross it, though it blast me. – Stay, illusion!
If thou hast any sound, or use a voice.
Speak to me. – Hamlet 1.1

Why, what care I ? If thou canst nod, speak too, -
If charnel-houses, and our graves, must send
Those that we bury, back, our monuments
Shall be the maws of kites. – (Macbeth, 3.4)

There is no ghost clause in that lease. – David Simmons

I know it is silly, but when I find an author I wasn’t previously aware of who really catches my interest and
Nicole
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say I was quite surprised that I liked this story more than I thought I would. The partnership of both characters and their abilities was quite nice and the mystery, though short, was quite engaging, keeping you on your toes as they got deeper in the investigation. On that note, I must say that there was so much information that sometimes I felt a little lost, since I felt like the protagonist always knew more than the reader could get from what was said. It was a little vague in some asp ...more
Tayinnawin
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People weary of YA/Teen Paranormal Series
ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS OR REPEAT OF THE BOOK DESCRIPTION.

I prefer to review the experience of reading the book and comment on the character development and writing style of the author rather than rehash what the book description already provides.

I enjoyed this book a lot. The writing style was quite easy to visualize. I eased into the story, following along like a movie in my head. The development of the main character is done quite well; you are given a good glimpse of who/what she is, while a
Jagged
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Well, this had potential. Lots of potential.
That was before the "demons" were shiny and metallic. After that, I found that I just couldn't take this seriously.
Not to mention Tiffany's flip-floppy character development.

The plot was not exactly fulfilled. Everything that happens is very convenient, especially where Tiffany is concerned.
I just didn't care for the execution, the sloppy romance, or the overall writing.

An editor would have taken this book to much better heights. Even having someone r
Arushi
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, crime
This book is pretty much perfect as a light read. There is a good plot, there are interesting side characters, the protagonist is snarky without being annoying and can totally hold her own, and the male lead is the right combination of hot, teasing and useful.

Tiff can talk to dead people, but only those who died violently. Its something that has led to her working as a consultant for the PD in her small hometown of Clarion. Then a dead woman walks into her backyard and she has to help find out
Al
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2011
In the last year or two I’ve probably read more books with some kind of paranormal twist than I had all the remaining years of my life combined. I’ve been amazed to discover the number of ways authors have to give a novel a paranormal twist. "Along Came a Demon is among my favorites." I was happy discovering they aren’t all glittery vampires.

As I evaluate the reasons "Along Came a Demon" was an enjoyable read for me several things come to mind. Part of it is the mystery portion. Ignore the para
Moondance
"There's a naked woman in the garden," Jack said.

Tiff(never Tiffany) Banks sees ghosts of people that died a violent death. Jack and Mel are her resident ghosts as their bodies are buried in her basement. When a wet, nude ghost shows up in her backyard, Tiffany takes on the task of finding a six year old boy. Tiff works with the Clarion police on occasion and asks the captain for his assistance. Much to her surprise, he pairs her with Royal, a demon that only she can see.

Interesting take on talk
Valerie Long
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The protagonist and storyteller, Tiff, is not just a tough and fearless, but an extraordinary woman: she can see and hear the violently slain. This would be enough substance for more than one book, but it’s just the beginning. As strong women go, she has some trouble with her love life, and she seems to tend to collect unusual friendships.
The story starts as an easy read with some funny and surprising ideas, but quickly takes up speed and tension becoming an edge-of-the-seat thriller that refuse
Nanci de Suffren
I know this is paranormal and thus hardly intellectual stuff but I read for the fun of it and this book made me laugh out loud and smile at the heroine and her unlikely hero. The cast of characters, including the unique roommates creates an interesting environment for the story. For those who enjoy things that go "bump in the night" I highly recommend this for their light reading moments. It is a really fun book.
Karekon
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: demons
Started out interesting then turned dull, anyone else incredibly tired of the "I CANT RESIST HIM" romances in books? :|
I just ended up skimming through the rest of it just to see what happened at the end ..and it was a soap opera cliché..

Also considering the main characters eyecatching features, how come NO ONE REACTS TO IT?
Paul
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realistically, it was not terrible but it is a tired story of the supernatural detective. It hits on every single cliche. The biggest failure is that there was nothing to make the reader able to connect with the characters. The plot was as unoriginal as most supernatural novels now
Kristie Cook
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a fun read. I enjoyed getting to know the characters as they solved an interesting mystery that takes the reader down an unexpected and otherworldly path. It's relatively short and a quick read, making it a great introduction into Linda Welch's new series.
H.P. Mallory
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was very well written and kept my interest the entire time. The plot was unpredictable and kept me on the edge of my seat.
Linda Welch is a very good author and I definitely intend to keep an eye out for future works of hers!
Camela Thompson
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It's very well written and the pacing kept me engaged enough to finish it in a day. The female protagonist is strong even when she needs a little help. I would definitely recommend.
Rachel Willis
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I love, love, love this book! I can't believe this was a free download on the Kindle app. Seriously rocked my socks off. Just recommended it to everyone who 'likes fantasy' on Goodreads. :D
Jonathan Slaton
This is a really great book. I enjoyed it!
Angela
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing. Great character building, an interesting story. Made me stay up all night, then oredered rest of series.
LK Griffie
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, mystery
I have been an avid mystery fan for much of my life. I read before going to sleep every night and the books that usually make up that reading material are mysteries of the cozy type. Agatha Christie, P D James, Elizabeth Peters, Ngaio Marsh, Sara Paretsky, Martha Grimes, and the list goes on. When I saw that Linda Welch had requested a review for her psi-fi mystery, Along Came A Demon , I leapt at the chance to read and review it. I was not disappointed.

Tiff Banks, nicknamed the Ice Queen by th
MangoLies
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down!

Pacing was great, and I enjoyed the take on a supernatural society living alongside our own. The romance was tantalizing and took mostly a backseat to the interesting investigation that was the real focus.
Cindy Atkins
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool book

I liked it. Though there could have been more depth to the story, it was pretty good. Will read next one.
Ross
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
Enjoyed all the way through 5/5
Julie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very promising for format/genre. It definitely feels like part of a series - a bit thin as a standalone.
Cyndi Pagan
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved reading this story! A new spin on demons, a great leading lady! Thank you Linda for sharing your Otherworld with us! I highly recommend this book to anyone that enjoys paranormal stories!
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Cover/Alt. Cover edition needed? 2 30 Aug 03, 2012 09:18PM
  • Demon Hunter and Baby (Aisling McKay, #1)
  • Dark Cotillion (Book One in the Brenna Strachan series)
  • Angel Fire (Fallen Angels, #1)
  • Divine Intervention (Divine Trilogy, #1)
  • The Devil Is a Gentleman (Niki Slobodian, #2)
  • Reveal (Cryptid Chronicles, #1)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • Pagan
  • City of Whispers (City of Whispers, #1)
  • The Dark Path (The Legacy Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Crystal Warrior (Crystal Warriors, #1)
  • Twin Souls (Nevermore, #1)
  • Tegan's Blood (The Ultimate Power, #1)
  • Desert of the Damned (Demons in Exile #1)
  • My Blood Runs Blue
  • Chasing Power (Hidden Talents, #1)
  • Cursed by Darkness (Befallen Tides, #1)
Born in England, Linda ended up in the USA and lived in New Mexico, Idaho and California before settling in the Wasatch Mountains of northern Utah near a small community called Eden. She lives there with her husband and Scottish terrier, and an awful lot of wildlife. She is the author of the Whisperings paranormal mysteries: Along Came a Demon, The Demon Hunters, Dead Demon Walking, Demon Demon Bu ...more
More about Linda Welch...

Whisperings (10 books)
  • The Demon Hunters (Whisperings, #2)
  • Dead Demon Walking (Whisperings, #3)
  • Demon Demon Burning Bright (Whisperings, #4)
  • Demon on a Distant Shore (Whisperings, #5)
  • A Conspiracy of Demons (Whisperings, #6)
  • Tiff Takes on Halloween.: A Whisperings Paranormal Mystery Short Story