Start by marking “James and the Giant Peach” as Want to Read:
James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  294,205 Ratings  ·  5,247 Reviews
Roald Dahl's children's classic will be rediscovered with wonder and delight in this handsome gift edition with all-new black-and-white illustrations by Caldecott Honor Book artist Lane Smith (who also designed the characters for the Disney animated film).  How James escapes from his miserable life with two nasty aunts and becomes a hero to his new insect family, including ...more
Published 1967 by george Allen & Unwin (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about James and the Giant Peach, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Omar Samad As the Cloud People finished painting it and were getting ready to lower it down to earth using strings, the peach crashed into it because it was…moreAs the Cloud People finished painting it and were getting ready to lower it down to earth using strings, the peach crashed into it because it was going along the same course.(less)
Katniss Rylee I feel that the BFG is better!! You must read it!!

Darth J
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a brief period in my childhood, I was obsessed with this. After seeing the trailer, I noticed that the movie trailer tie-in edition was available in the next month's book order form so I had to have it to read before I saw it.

Then I saw the movie and of course, really loved it. It was whimsical and visually appealing, even if it did deviate from the source material in parts.

I even remember wanting to only eat and drink peach stuff for a while, and since it was the 90's I had to have my Snapp
Muna
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in third grade, the first great crush of my life, Scott Murphy, stood up on the picnic table outside of the trailer that housed my third grade class and instead of reading his lines -- James' words -- from his paperback copy while we were all trying to rehearse the chapter we were supposed to present to the entire class the next day, he performed the most passionate version of "Paradise City" by Guns N Roses that I have ever seen.

To this day, I love Gun N Roses, I love Scott Murphy, a
Michael Finocchiaro
As always, Roald Dahl spins the most fantastic wonderful tales for children and James and the Giant Peach is up there with his greatest ones. It is also a wonderful animated film. Don't deprive your children of fantastic stories such as this one - there are one in a million!
Lynda
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and adults alike
Recommended to Lynda by: Banned Books Group
James and the Giant Peach - B A N N E D!

Recently I joined the Banned Books group and one of the group reads for this month was James and the Giant Peach. I'm sure there are many GR readers who have read a Roald Dahl book and/or seen a movie adaptation of one of his books. If you have, then you would know that Dahl has consistently written stories that entertain children with morals and life lessons that even adults can appreciate.

So why was this book banned?

Let's first take a look at what Jame
Ahmad Sharabiani
James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl
عنوانها: جیمز و هلوی غول پیکر؛ جیمز و هلوی سحرآمیز؛ هلوی غول پیکر؛ نویسنده: رولد دال؛ انتشاراتیها: سازمان تبلیغات، ژرف نگر؛ نوید شیراز، نشر مرکز، کاروان، افق، کارگاه سپاس، سایه بان هنر، تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و هفتم دسامبر سال 1997 میلادی؛
عنوان: جیمز و هلوی غول پیکر؛ نویسنده: رولد دال؛ مترجم: مژگان شیخی؛ تهران، سازمان تبلیغات، 1375، در 133 ص، مصور، 9644713117؛
عنوان: جیمز و هلوی سحرآمیز؛ نویسنده: رولد دال؛ مترجم: گروه مترجمین؛ تهران، ژرف نگر، 1379، در 150
Mariah
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariah by: Matt
2017 is the year of reading Roald Dahl for me! I'm trying to read all his books that I can get my hands on plus reread all the books I've previously read of his :)

When I read this book a very long time ago I rated in 3 stars. I think as an adult I enjoyed reading this book more than I did as a child.

James accidentally drops some magic crystals by an old peach tree. This causes the peach at the top of the tree to grow huge!! James enters the fruit and meets some new friends: a grasshopper, Ladyb
Hannah Greendale

James Henry Trotter is forced to live with his dreadful Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker after his beloved parents are killed in a tragic incident with a rhinoceros. There's no place as dreary and lonely as the house atop the hill where he lives with his aunts. James suspects his bad luck will change after a mysterious man arrives and offers him a bag of magic crystals. The way in which the crystals alter his ci
James
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl is a very creative story built for everyone of all ages to enjoy. I think of it as a cross between 3 things: (1) Dr. Seuss, (2) Jack and the Beanstalk and (3) Harry Potter. 4 of 5 stars to this lovely keepsake.

I had to read this book, when it's my namesake, James. But the similarities end there. James' parents have passed away and he lives with his awful aunt and uncle. A mysterious man gives him a package which helps him grow this giant pea
Matt
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
I have always been taught to start at the beginning, which seemed like sage advice when I wanted to explore some of the children's stories that Roald Dahl crafted over his long and illustrious career. Choosing this work, apparently his first stab at children's literature, proved highly entertaining and a wonderful way to spend a few hours. After an accident claims the life of his parents, young James Henry Trotter is sent to live with his wicked aunts, facing a period of miserable adjustment. Wh ...more
Ammara Abid
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
midnightfaerie
I read James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl with my five year old. We had just finished Charlotte's Web and I was looking for chapter books I could enjoy as well. And I knew we had the movie so we could watch it when we were done. It turned out to be a great choice. Dahl uses the cliffhanger method at the end of almost every one of his chapters, and each chapter is only a page or two long. That combined with great illustrations, made for a win-win situation. I often ended a chapter only to ha ...more
Patrick
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be completely honest here. I didn't like this book.

Usually, if I don't care for a book, I keep schtum about it here. Not only is it not as much fun to talk about books I didn't like, but bad-mouthing other author's books is pretty rude.

But, given that Dahl has passed on, and a fair number of people ask me for book recommendations for their kids. I figured I'd chime in with my opinion about this one.

I recently read it with my son, and while it wasn't *awful,* it was just... Meh. I
Amy Talluto
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
A funny, dark and poetic book. I read this after seeing a documentary about Roald Dahls' life and hearing some of the book's passages narrated within the perspective of his time cramped up in a WWII bomber plane as a bombardier (he was very tall). The peach represents the polar opposite of being in a noisy and clattering war plane, manning a gun and always under the threat of death. The peach is a peaceful, sweet and quiet flying machine.
mark monday
used to dream of being James. had my special favorites amongst all the talking insects, but really they were all my favorites. also used to look at animal encyclopedias and write lists of my favorite animals. then I'd imagine going on an Incredible Journey with them. animals are so much better than people!
aPriL does feral sometimes
James Henry Trotter is a sweetie, and I absolutely adore this kid and his garden-friendly insect friends. The illustrations are so cute.

After enduring abusive aunts for three years who despise James after they agreed to raise him from the age of four when his parents died, James meets a mysterious man in the garden who gives him a bag of magical rice-sized crystals. He spills the crystals accidentally near his aunts' sad peach tree losing every one. It's a catastrophe for James, who was hoping f
MishyJo
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was completely depraved.  Bugs, seagulls, giant fruit, a little boy, a broken rainbow. I am disgusted. No wonder it was banned.

End sarcastic rant.  I had forgotten how much I loved this book.

On the ALA's 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books 1999-2000, having been banned for mysticism, sexual inferences, profanity, racism, references to tobacco and alcohol, and claims that it promotes disobedience, drugs, and communism.

Marnie  Krüger
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, books-i-own, kids
I love how Roald Dahl can transport you; can make your imagination come alive.
He makes you feel like a kid again!
I've read a lot of his work as a child, but never this one. SO it was my first time. And I loved it.

Visit

characters
lydia
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“'My dear young fellow,' the Old-Green-Grasshopper said gently, 'there are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven't started wondering about yet.'”

*4.5 stars

Quite creepy, quite funny, quite whimsical and cute, James and The Giant Peach might not be as good as Matilda or as magical as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but Roald Dahl, master storyteller, never disappoints.
James Henry Trotter is about to embark on the adventure of his lifetime, when a giant peach starts growing in
Sara Kamjou
خوب بود دنیای جالبی داشت اما از اونجایی که شباهتاش به چارلی و آسانسور شیشهای خیلی زیاد بود یه جاهایی تکراری بود روندش. به هر در مل لذتبخش بود.
-----------------------------------
بخشهای ماندگار کتاب:
شاید ما غرق نمیشدیم! شاید هم آنقدر ترسیده بودیم که فکر میکردیم داریم غرق میشویم.
...
در تمام این دنیای ما چیزهای زیادی هست که تو هنوز به آنها فکر نکردهای.
Meli
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy tierno y entretenido.
No es lo mejor de Roald, pero sí una excelente aventura.
Noel
For some ridiculous reason, I never read any Roald Dahl when I was a kid. So now that my kids are at ages where they can enjoy his books, I’m super excited to be reading these with them. My oldest (6), loved this book. She’s declared it to be the best book ever. I also really enjoyed it, and would have read it myself even if I didn’t have kids. My four year old however was indifferent, she’s mostly excited to watch the movie. 😅

The only issue I had with the book is that Dahl uses the word ass in
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I've never visited Central Park, but if I ever do, I'll be watching for the giant peach pit where James Henry Trotter settled happily after his wild excursion.

I knew I liked this book as a kid but I couldn't remember the details of the story. The thing that stayed in my mind all these years was the feeling of claustrophobia when James makes his way inside the peach and finds all the giant, friendly creepy-crawlies inside the peach pit. As a kid you always place yourself within the story, and I
Lauren Henderson
This was my first re-read of James and the Giant Peach as an adult. It's still just as great. It's so quirky, and the end is so heartwarming! I can't wait to read it to my child one day.

Sidenote: I never realized how many times the word "ass" is in this book. Ha.
R. Kitt
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-ya-fiction
Childhood favorite.
Jo Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

The only way to describe this book is "fun". Yeah, it's got whimsy and adventure and imagination and some very Dahlian deaths and the Horrible People with their Horrible Traits, but it's not got that kind of wonderful spirit that some his other books have.

Whilst I'd never say that adults should not read children's books, I personally haven't been getting the same amount of enjoyment from these books
Alex
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, 2016
Roald Dahl continues his mission to ruin your child by insisting that a man-sized centipede would not be the most horrifying thing in the world. Centipedes are nightmares, man. Wanna see a foot-long centipede hunting bats? Of course you don't, that's awful.

Anyway, so here's a book about a kid who murders his legal guardians and takes off with his creepy friends. Along the way they meet magical people who make rainbows, and pick a fight with them. When they're done they deface the Empire State B
Erika
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stelle e mezzo.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Oh, childhood, Roald Dahl takes me right back. I will always love Roald Dahl's work, because of how much these books meant to me as a kid, not that they're not fun now, of course, but the experience really is not quite the same. Unlike with a lot of my childhood reads, dimmed to hazy memories, I have a strong recollection of my first time reading James and the Giant Peach. Much as I loved Roald Dahl (personal favorites being the BFG, The Witches, Boy, and Matilda), I dreaded reading this book, p ...more
Ricquetta
I remember when this book was read to me by my fifth grade teacher during our daily story time hour. I also remember hating that teacher because he played favorites to a group of girls that bullied me. However, despite my obvious distaste for the class and its inhabitants, I largely attribute that particular teacher for reading out to me some of my most favourite children's books; this particular Roald Dahl was one of them.

In all honesty before re-reading this after some 14 years, the only part
Trish
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't seem to stop reading books by Roald Dahl! :D

This time it's about a boy whose parents die so he has to live with two aunts, who are terrible people. They constantly mistreat him and keep him from meeting other children.
Just one small note here: Why are the bad people in Roald Dahl's stories always either enormously fat or very long and thin?! It's a constant throughout his stories and I wonder if there is a special reason that can be found in his life's story?!

Another note here: A boy lo
Childrens 3 8 Apr 11, 2017 11:33AM
So close 1 7 Nov 05, 2016 10:12PM
  • Abel's Island
  • Runaway Ralph (Ralph S. Mouse, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon
  • The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • The Missing Piece
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • Harriet the Spy (Harriet the Spy #1)

More about Roald Dahl...
“I'd rather be fried alive and eaten by Mexicans.” 138 likes
“My dear young fellow,' the Old-Green-Grasshopper said gently, 'there are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven't started wondering about yet.” 99 likes