Start by marking “The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)” as Want to Read:
The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)

The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  845 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Alan Lewrie is a scandalous young rake whose amorous adventures ashore lead to his being shipped off to the Navy. Lewrie finds that he is a born sailor, although life at sea is a stark contrast to the London social whirl to which he had become accustomed. As his career advances, he finds the life of a naval officer suits him.
Published April 1st 2002 by McBooks Press (first published 1990)

Jeffrey
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
I picked this up to sate my need for more Patrick O'Brian and while I would (and do) read each of the 21 over and over again, once of this Dewey Lambdin is enough for me.

Lewrie spends quite a bit of energy trying to get ashore and into someone's bed in this book. While that in itself is not unusual for a sailor tale, it's the (too-high) level of details that turns me away from this character. Lewrie, as he gains his sea-legs through this book, matures as both man and sailor and it's that part of
Jeff Miller
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
great book , next please
Susan

I really like these naval novels with their techno-speak and swashbuckling and such, but the language is pretty rough- f-bombs more than cannon shot and profanity. Sex scene
Eric_W
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nautical-fiction
Alan Lewrie, Lambdin's reprobate midshipman brat and amoral waistrel, becomes a more than competent seaman in this second of the series. Lambdin ranks right up with Forester and O'Brian as one of the best writers of nautical fiction taking place during the late eighteenth century. Lambdin, an American, writes from the perspective of the British as they find themselves on the losing end of battles with American terrorists and rebels. It struck me again, while reading this, how wars are defined by ...more
Katisha
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the Alan Lewrie stories. It covers actions in and around Yorktown, America, during the (American) Revolution. The hero, Alan Lewrie, stumbles and whores his way to glory and becomes a more experienced seaman and combatant in the process. I still find Lewrie a relatively unsympathetic 'hero', but the character has a wry wit and his tale is an interesting one, well told.

I am not familiar with the historical facts of the era this book is set in, but assuming they are accu
Jim
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: naval-fiction
This is the second of the Alan Lenrie series by Dewey Lambdin. This one takes place almost entirely on the Eastern seaboard of the American colonies. Lewrie finds himself attached to the British army of Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown, bringing three of his nine-pounders ashore to help defend the British lines. Just before Cornwallis' surrender, Lewrie helps ferry some of the British army across the York River, but is finally thwarted when a severe storm breaks out on the river. Cornwallis' main arm ...more
Jean Poulos
“The French Admiral” is book two in Dewey Lambdin’s Alan Lewrie series. Lewrie was sent off by his father to the Royal Navy. Alan finds he is a born sailor and is enjoying his life at sea.

As a Midshipman we find him in this book at the siege of Yorktown, near the end of the American Revolutionary War. The Royal Navy, with heavily-armed frigates, is posed to break the French blockade. The French Navy is commanded by Admiral de Grasse.

Lewrie is aboard HMS Desperate. Midshipman Lewrie is in charge
jallioop
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this. Not much naval action, rather is about one small piece of the battle of Yorktown. I will probably research more about the involvement of naval guns in the siege - wonder whether any part of the story is based on truth. Other reviewers have remarked on the anachronisms in the language. I tend not to focus on such details, but there was one that was totally jarring - Alan worries that he would be blown to "atoms" by the rebel shelling - he must've been quite precocious to be worrying ...more
Doc
Feb 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This second book in the Alan Lewrie series is set in America in the latter part of the Revolutionary War. Gives a view, rare among naval books about this era, of the often ugly conflict between rebels and loyalists, in this case, mostly in the Carolinas.
All the introductory, Lewrie-as-resentful-newbie stuff is behind us, in the first book. Lewrie is becoming much more naval, and the book, I am glad to say, is less concerned with foul language and sex, though the language is still worse than that
Brett
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, abandoned
I really really wanted to enjoy these novels. And the frustrating thing is that I almost did. The dialog between characters, particularly our hero rings so out of tune. Idioms that would be more at home in the mouth of a Vietnam War soldier rather than a Napoleonic War Seaman. I am almost positive that they did not say "shit on a piece of toast" in the early 19th century--only really annoying people say this in the 21st century. Phrases like this just sound a horrifically false note in this text ...more
Mike
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
An entertaining book to finish the year on. This book follows Alan Lewrie into the Chesapeake Bay and the climactic battle at Yorktown at the end of the American Revolution. I enjoyed the maturation of Lewrie and the historical setting created by Lambdin. I thought there were too many long stretches of conversations between characters that could have been a bit shorter, but overall I was happy with the read and as a person who likes to read about the Age of Sail, I will continue with this series ...more
Leonardo
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
On the second chapter in this series the tone is much more somber, as Alan faces much more harsh treatment from the captain of his ship. He is also entangled on the events on Yorktown and Charleston during the Independence War.

He is surrounded by horrors and is forced to grow up quickly and dig deep for strength and cunning to survive as the English forces are defeated.

Pretty exiting adventures on this book, the only thing i will say is that it has a more serious atmosphere when compared with th
Miki Habryn
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This book introduces some new, regularly-used colloquialisms, and takes away much of the historical naval action that I particularly enjoyed about the first book. The misogynism and racism is more daring and less readable, and, for much of the book, our hero is more put upon and less heroic. It's not enough of a downer to give up on the series, but it's a distinct dip.
Benjamin Ford
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
My being a sailor who spent a lot of time on land to fulfill needs of the mission, I identified with Lewrie in this book. I felt the account of Yorktown had a realistic feel to living in a foxhole and I enjoyed the progression of maturity in his career and personal life. Looking forward to more career progression and hopefully a little privateering!
Aspen Junge
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
Linda
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the second novel in the Alan Lewrie series. I liked the first book better, but this is a great historical

novel in its own right. The writing is more serious and the book is longer, still liked it. I plan on reading them all.
Fritz
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Lambdin book

Great book 2. Going straight to book 3. I fully intend to read the entire series and I'm sure at some point I will re-read them all.
Leslie
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty good. It got a little bogged down on land. I was glad when the action got back on board.
Susan
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this one well enough but I don't think I would enjoy eighteen books of Mr. Lewrie.
Gary C
Jul 29, 2014 added it
Great series
Lois
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A series as terrific as Sharpe's.

Alan's past is revealed, at the end. A new woman is introduced.

John Lee is a terrific narrator.
RS Fuster
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks
And the adventure continues. Please tell me he doesn't marry that tramp. She ain't no "Lady".
Helen
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Again, another great adventure...
KJ
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, however, I thought it could have been edited a little tighter. A great deal takes place on land and I felt as those parts would have been better served somewhat more condensed.
Dave
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well written and interesting. A good Naval story.
James Willey
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The further adventures of Lewrie. Nice account of the battle at Yourktown from the losers view point.
Craig Tyler
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-fiction
More adventuring on land than at sea in this novel than the previous one, but good nonetheless. The dialogue of the main character is still witty and believable.
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Not bad (except I'm an American and this is the Battle of Yorktown...and the hero is British, oh well.) Not so nautical as most of the story takes place ashore. Still pretty good read.
Garry Lemasa
Jun 08, 2017
Patricia
Dec 02, 2013
  • Ramage & the Freebooters (The Lord Ramage Novels, #3)
  • Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho, #4)
  • The Paths of the Air (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #11)
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h
More about Dewey Lambdin...

Alan Lewrie (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Jester's Fortune (Alan Lewrie, #8)
  • King's Captain (Alan Lewrie, #9)
  • Sea of Grey (Alan Lewrie, #10)
  • Havoc's Sword (Alan Lewrie, #11)

“at Terrible. The third-rate 74 did indeed appear badly worn, her masts slanted from” 0 likes