Start by marking “Aiming at Amazon: The New Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books with Print on Demand and Online Book Marketing” as Want to Read:

**********BECAUSE OF CHANGES AT AMAZON, READERS OF THIS BOOK SHOULD BE SURE TO VISIT THE AUTHOR'S WEB SITE FOR UPDATES**********

There has never been a self publishing manual like this.

"Aiming at Amazon" is NOT about getting your book into bookstores. Instead, it lays out an innovative approach that targets sales on Amazon.com. It reveals how to make a book sell well online
Published September 1st 2006 by Shepard Publications (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Aiming at Amazon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aiming at Amazon

Dana Lynn Smith
Look past the poor cover of this book and you'll find a wealth of information about how to sell profitably on Amazon, using Lightning Source as your printer. This is a great companion to Shepard's other book, POD for Profit.
Peggy Dekay
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
I read this book in 2008, while I was doing research for my book, Self-Publishing for Virgins: the first-time authors guide to self-publishing. I think Aaron Shepard did his homework and delivered a straightforward, useful book filled with relevant information about marketing your book on Amazon. Over the years the book has been outdated somewhat, but hopefully Aaron will release an updated version soon, if he hasn't already. For those of you who are looking for solid information on self-publish ...more
Karl
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As the title says, this book is specifically aimed at anyone who is self-publishing and wants to have their book sold by Amazon.

The information that the author shares is invaluable and will certainly save any aspiring author a great deal of time, and probably money, as they navigate the ever changing currents of the POD industry and the world of Amazon.

This book, along with Dan Poynyer's guides, M.A. Demer's book, "The Global Indie Author", and "How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks: All for Free"
Sharon Orlopp
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Very detailed book for self-publishers. The Table of Contents utilizes the suggestion of expanding a table of contents to include many details. Helpful tips on how to utilize search engine optimization to determine titles and subtitles. Very helpful.
Sandra Yearman
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a well organized and informative book for beginners in the industry. Shephard's writing is crisp and detailed. I would highly recommend it for anyone considering self publishing.
Michael Powell
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book may be the victim of being the 10th book or so I've read on Amazon marketing. I didn't learn a whole lot that I hadn't learned from the previous nine. That being said, I think that if I had read this one first, I'd have given it 4 stars, so that's what I'm giving it.

Shepard writes in a casual easy to read style that's as easy going as the face on the front of the book, which I suppose is his own. The book doesn't give any advice on Kindle, and some of the advice opposes what I've read
Conrad Zero
Dec 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The feel of this book was 'hastily written' as if Aaron was worried someone else was going to beat him to it. The book would have been very useful a year ago, but since Amazon has changed its business strategy, and now only accepts POD through it's own service, "Booksurge", it's already outdated. There's still good info here, for indie publisher/authors who want to sell on Amazon, Aaron makes a good point; 'why bother trying to sell in bookstores?' Focus your efforts solely on Amazon, where sale ...more
Larry Fox
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource for getting one’s books promoted on Amazon. I had no prior experience with Amazon and I found this to be very comprehensive, with practical instructions, tips and recommendations. It covers a wide range of topics, such as optimizing the book for Amazon, configuring the book’s information on Amazon, and pointing potential readers to the book on Amazon. I now have my books on the U.S. and international Amazon sites and sales are beginning to trickle in from around the ...more
Reading Harbor
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Aaron Shepherd practices what he preaches. He offers a variety of advice on how to self-publish. The book was practical and fairly easy to read. There were a few tips in there that I did think were useful that I didn't think of elsewhere. In short, this is a good intro book for those who are completely new to self-publishing. It can be a handy resource and may help substitute the trial and error method that most people take when figuring things out for the first time.
Melissa Avery-Weir
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well-written with nuggets of good stuff for even those of us who've been researching already. I appreciated the insight into some of the more esoteric Amazon programs, but could have done without the lengthy lists of URLs. That's a minor point, though; it's a worthwhile read for those of us dipping into self-pubbing.
Mike Aragona
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: all
I think this book could be an excellent resource for someone coming in completely fresh/ blind to the world of Self Publishing. Especially if they need/ want to understand how amazon "works". However, for anyone who's had some hands-on experience with putting a book out there and/ or marketing... there's not much new that they will learn.
Paul Harry
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I chose this book as I needed help understanding the Amazon process. I was not let down. Though much has changed on Amazon since this book was first published it still offers an incredible amount of valuable information. If you're a writer new to e-publishing this is a must read.
Ann Addley
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Aaron Shepard's books continue to be comprehensive and well set out. While not containing anything incredibly revolutionary, this book walks you through publishing in Amazon steep by step insuring that you have covered all your basis. Great for those self publish for the first time.
James
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was ok, but mostly seemed like a reference of links that one could dig through and find themselves. However, the trouble and time saved by reading this book was great. If you are thinking POD through Amazon I would say this book is a great starting place.
Andrew
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
The information was quite dated but given that it came out a few years ago I'm sure the information was groundbreaking then. Thus 3 stars. I didn't really get any new info that I hadn't already read elsewhere.
Carolyn
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dreadful cover (like what not to do for cover art) but fantastic content.
Antuan Simmons
It was a pretty good for an old book on self publishing. It took my self publishing mind to a new level.
Andi S. Boediman
May 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: print-publishing
A how to guide to publish your own books on the net using Lightning Source and Amazon. Written by a savvy do-it-yourself publisher.
Valerie Thompson
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy to read and packed with useful information, and as a result of reading this book I revised the cover of my book, The Logical Magic of Change, and made it available via Lightning Source.
J.D. Holiday
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! It help a great idea to get my book into print. Can't beat Aaron's information for working with Amazon. The best!
JD Holiday
L.M. Elm
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self_publishing
A no-nonsense look at how to self-publish using Amazon.com
Pam Young
Apr 07, 2016
Sonja Biermann
Aug 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book
  • Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity Through Social Networking
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • 1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers
  • Guerrilla Marketing for Writers
  • The Well-Fed Self-Publisher: How to Turn One Book Into a Full-Time Living
  • How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months
  • AdWords For Dummies
  • Persuasive Business Proposals: Writing to Win More Customers, Clients, and Contracts
  • Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks All for Free
  • Unleashing the Killer App: Digital Strategies for Market Dominance
  • Creating Web Pages For Dummies
Aaron Shepard is the award-winning author of numerous children's books, as well as books on reader's theater, children's writing, and publishing. He lives with his wife and fellow author, Anne L. Watson, in Bellingham, Washington.