Start by marking “The Encyclopedia of New York City” as Want to Read:
The Encyclopedia of New York City

The Encyclopedia of New York City

Art
Published September 26th 1995 by Yale University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Encyclopedia of New York City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Encyclopedia of New York City

Michael
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was macht eine 1540 Seiten Enzyklopädie im "read"-Shelf? Sie hat sich den Platz inzwischen verdient. Natürlich habe ich sie nicht von A-Z durchgelesen, aber im Laufe der Jahre immer wieder zur Hand genommen, wenn ich ein Buch gelesen habe, was in New York angesiedelt ist, oder einen Film gesehen habe. Oder einfach so etwas wissen wollte.
Wie bei allen guten Enzyklopädien will man nur kurz etwas nachschlagen und kommt von einem Artikl zum nächsten, so, wie es der jüngeren Generation vermutlich bei
cheeseblab
Jun 25, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have insanely chosen this as breakfast-table reading, quite possibly for the rest of my life. Maybe I'll return to give alphabetical updates from time to time. Next up: advertising.

Update, 8/21/11: most interesting recent discovery, from the American Chicle Company entry: gum magnate Thomas Adams was introduced to chicle by Mexican politician and general Antonio López de Santa Anna, of "Remember the Alamo" infamy, who owned a plantation and thought the stuff would make good rubber.

Jon Boorstin
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-york
If you live in New York, or wish you did, this book is essential. It decodes the city piece by piece. It gives you context. This connects unlikely bits, and brings up new ones. Terrific bathroom reading for the Gothamphile.
Katya Kazbek
Because my husband and I are insane people who entertain each other with morcels of knowledge, this is our go-to reading when we're slightly bored, i.e. driving or waiting for something. I read articles out to him in alphabetical order (not all of them, but the majority) and we then discuss, dig deeper, gasp and laugh. For instance, in the past week we found out about the salad oil scandal, in which a single criminal sent American Express into major losses and brought down the NYSE; discussed th ...more
Steven
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The Encyclopedia of New York City" is the only Encyclopedia you will ever require to have a complete knowledge of this excellent city.

Make sure however, that you obtain the 1995 edition and not the Second Edition one. The Second Edition contains much less information.

What has been trimmed in the Second Edition are the wonderful articles discussing the first bookstores and printing shops of New York City.
Dusan Fischer
V dnešnej dobe internetu a offline guideov už viac-menej môže slúžiť ako coffee table book, ale aj tak je zdrojom užitočných informácií súvisiacich s Big Apple.
L.A. Chandlar
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a ginormous reference book - but essential for great research on NYC. Love it:-).
Ben
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
This book is exactly what it says it is. It is a tremendous tome and contains entries on everything and everyone related to NYC to the date of publication that I've ever thought to look up. The writing is not quite as dry as may be expected, but the articles are nonetheless exceedingly authoritative and thorough. I would recommend this for anyone with a fairly sturdy coffee table who loves New York City as obsessively as I do. For a story of all things New York you might also try New York: An Il ...more
Josephine (biblioseph)
Currently going through this for a research project designed to review this book--and I have to say it is pretty decent. I always am one to wish for more, I like to get into the nit-picky details, but I suppose, as always I'll have to read some other books. This is an encyclopedia and further reading must be found elsewhere.

Otherwise: Awesome!
Mary Louise
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So many faboulous "new york-isms".
RUSA CODES
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dartmouth-medal
This was an Honorable Mention for the Dartmouth Medal for 1996. For the complete list, go to http://ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rusa/aw...
Frederic
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent -- and massive -- general reference on the city.
Buddy
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Been reading this over the past couple of years...It'll take a few more to finish. I love it though. (Lame review)
Jim
Piotr
Feb 28, 2013
Mike
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. An absolute must-have for every library.
Paul O'Grady
Sep 19, 2018
Sandra Tam
Sep 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Historical Atlas of New York City: A Visual Celebration of Nearly 400 Years of New York City's History
  • New York
  • AIA Guide to New York City: The Classic Guide to New York's Architecture
  • Inside the Apple: A Streetwise History of New York City
  • Appetite City: A Culinary History of New York
  • Lost New York
  • The Assassination of New York
  • Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis
  • Rubbish!: The Archaeology of Garbage
  • The Fires: How a Computer Formula, Big Ideas, and the Best of Intentions Burned Down New York City-and Determined the Future of Cities
  • 9/11: The Big Lie
  • New York Diaries: 1609 to 2009
  • When the Astors Owned New York: Blue Bloods & Grand Hotels in a Gilded Age
  • Five Points: The Nineteenth-Century New York City Neighborhood That Invented Tap Dance, Stole Elections and Became the World's Most Notorious Slum
  • Deep Time:: How Humanity Communicates Across Millennia