Start by marking “Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice” as Want to Read:
Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice

Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice

The second edition of "Student Development in College" will help student affairs practitioners understand the developmental challenges facing today's college students. It will provide scholars with a comprehensive and inclusive overview of the most important student development theories and related research, including new approaches with which they may not be familiar, ...more
ebook, 2nd Edition, 480 pages
Published November 5th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published April 24th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Student Development in College, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Student Development in College

Start your review of Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice
Noah
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great anthology of student development theories for the student affairs professional including the nuances and applications of theories in higher educational settings. The go to book to have on your student affairs bookshelf!
Nadine X
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This did a pretty thorough job of covering the basics. I would have liked some more depth on a few of the more traditional theorists, and more problematization of the current theorists, but overall it's a pretty thorough overview. Great use of examples and case studies as well.
Eduardo
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, psychology
This book was required reading for a graduate-level course I took this summer. It appears to that it is the de facto primer for development theory that either focuses on college students or covers the ages during which a person would be in college.

I found the book to be very informative and I might have burned through an entire highlighter while reading and not just because it is a thick book. It is fascinating to see how much of the research is recent (less than 10 years). As a result of
Amanda
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit pedantic at first, but overall it provides a good survey of developmental theories as they relate to college students and the practitioners that work with them. Does a good job of identifying areas that critically lack research, as well as useful critiques of the theories and future directions.
Elora Orazio
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should be a staple on every student affairs practitioner's shelf. It introduces a wide array of development theories in accessible terms. By learning about these theories, we can better understand why we make certain programmatic choices; we can develop a shared language to discuss college students; and we may be provided the opportunity to reflect on our own college experiences.
Paul
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This is THE text book for college student personnel administrators. It is reasonably thorough for a textbook and can give a decent sense of what is out there in terms of the origins and current thinking on how college students progress through their individual developmental processes. However, if you have been in the field for more than 10 years and you're leaning on a theorist in your practice and this is all you've read, you probably need to go further. My experience was that I really didn't ...more
Sayed
it is one of the greatest book you have to read. It tells you about student development theories and make you more awared about student in general as a whole. i highly recommend this book to everyone works in student development
Stefan Yates
Good information, but poorly written in my opinion. The writers obviously felt very strongly about certain issues and kept pushing them relentlessly throughout the book. Not what I expect from a textbook on student affairs.
Kevin Altman
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Critical and a key to any higher educational administrative or teaching professional's career. This book guided me through counseling students and provided multiple lenses through which to approach students.
Debbie
Aug 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Required textbook for graduate class. Great for university level academic advisors.
Jen
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grad-school
I read this book for my Student Development Theory course in Fall 2010.
Kate
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Decent overview of theories in higher ed.
Richelle
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Student Affairs Professionals
Recommended to Richelle by: Dr. Lynette Danley
Shelves: student-affairs
A good overview of major college development theories. Not too painful to read, but doesn't address a lot of deeper issues regarding current issues and problems.
Peter Owens
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Don't read this unless you have to, and then I guess it's kind of important.
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: textbooks
Thank goodness it's over.
Jana
I find myself returning to this book over and over again to review the essential student development theories.
Dayspring
Reading this one for a class. Basically it's a summary and analysis of major sdtudent development theories. A good resource for those interested in such things...
Chase
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic-reading
I would rate this as a 4.5 out of 5 stars. I was really impressed with the changes in this edition and felt it was accessible without losing complexity.
Jenna
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as textbooks go, this is one of the good ones.
Reed
Kristen
Mar 19, 2016

• A History of American Higher Education
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • StrengthsQuest: Discover and Develop Your Strengths in Academics, Career, and Beyond
  • Leading Change
  • Student Services: A Handbook for the Profession
  • Generation Z Goes to College
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Where You Work Matters: Student Affairs Administration at Different Types of Institutions
  • Student Engagement in Higher Education: Theoretical Perspectives and Practical Approaches for Diverse Populations
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World