Start by marking “I Love This Bar (Honky Tonk, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Love This Bar (Honky Tonk, #1)

I Love This Bar

(Honky Tonk #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,609 ratings  ·  106 reviews

She doesn't need anything but her bar...
Daisy O'Dell has her hands full with hotheads and thirsty ranchers until the day one damn fine cowboy walks in and throws her whole life into turmoil...

He's looking for a cold drink and a moment's peace...
Instead he finds one red hot woman. She's just what he needs, if only he can convince her to come out from behind that bar, and

Mass Market Paperback, 369 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about I Love This Bar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love This Bar

really liked it 4.00  ·

Erotic Horizon
Contemporary western is a genre that has never really held much appeal for me, however when I spot the cover of Ms. Brown’s latest release it called to me – yes that little voice that said nekkid man on cover come and hear his story and so the fickle reader that I am took the plunge.

I LOVE THIS BAR bloody well rock.

The book starts out simply enough with Jarod McElroy walking into the local and only Honky Tonk in the area to get a drink and if truth be told to get away from his cantankerous uncle
Sara Humphreys
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Carolyn Brown. She grabbed me from the first sentence! Her characters are spunky and jumped right off the page! As soon as I finished this one, I wanted to get right into the next book in the series. A very nice read. .
Wendy Hines
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Daisy O'Dell is the owner and barmaid of the Honky Tonk. She loves her job, her bar, but she sure gets lonely at night. Ruby, the previous owner, always told Daisy not to take men into the back apartment, and Daisy hasn't yet. But, after slipping and falling on the sexiest cowboy she's ever seen, she might have to change her mind.

Jarod McElroy can't take his eyes off the pretty barmaid, but he knows it won't go any further. She's a barmaid and he doesn't mess with barmaids. Besides, his stay is
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Honky Tonk series by Carolyn Brown. I love cowboy stories and grabbed this for them. Not bad but a tad slow for me. It just didn't pull me in like I wanted it to.
Vicki
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Four stars for ‘I Love this Bar’ by Carolyn Brown. It’s a contemporary cowboy romance – my first for the genre – and I’ve got to say I’m liking cowboys. A lot. I’ve read countless football and hockey romances recently so these sexy cowboys are a nice diversion.

Brown does a good job with the character development and the sexual tension. She manages to produce an authentic feel to the story with her descriptions of the Honky Tonk (complete with specific country and western songs, lyrics and artis
PepperP0t
Bar owner/Vet Tech Daisy O'Dell and rancher Jarod McElroy didn't exactly meet cute. Actually, it could have been ugly when the pair slipped in beer someone spilled on the floor of the local watering hole Daisy owned, The Honky Tonk. From that instant neither Daisy nor Jarod could get through five minutes without thoughts of the other.

In the meantime a host of quirky and stereotypical characters are introduced, including 'roundheel' Chigger, with her heart of gold and the heart of a local ranche
BecksBookPicks
Aug 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book for the most part. I don't think the genre Western Romance if for me, however I am hooked on the series and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. The story line was good and did keep me interested. It was a very clean romance book. Its one of those where the chemistry is there between the characters but the author closes the door and you are left out like a dog in the rain. However, that is ok. I like to know a little more then was let on, but I can sti ...more
Beate
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboys, romance
For a cowboy book, it's surprisingly innocent. There is some hinting at smut, but no real action going on. For a book that promises a scorching hot story, it doesn't deliver. Making the cowboy hot and his girl the girl a sweet next door doesn't mean the book is going to be hot. It's just going to be sweet.

As a romance, the book is sweet. It's a cute story. Normally I'd give it 4 stars. The reason I'm docking the book, is because it doesn't deliver what it promises in the blurb. When I go into re
Kristina
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it

I love this book! I adore a good cowboy romance and this was a good one! It had me laughing and crying...I went through a whole range of emotions.

I completely fell in love with these characters. They were a great "down home" bunch and I must say that I thought Chigger was great. She made me laugh out loud everytime her character came up.

If you enjoy a good country romance then this is one to check out. I am really looking forward to the next one in this series Hell, Yeah....I think it's going to
Gail
Cute, fun story. The ping-pong POV continued to confuse and annoy me, and the conflict was really light, but it's a cute story.

I've been past the Smokestack restaurant and kept thinking it was out in the middle of nowhere, and if Thurber has a population of 5, then it is pretty much nowhere. I do find it unlikely that there are "woods" out back of anywhere in that area... but there might be a cluster of mesquites, I guess.
Hilcia
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
An ode to Toby Keith's song, country music, honky tonks and country living. I Love This Bar was full of great characters, fun moments, music and good lovin'... Don't expect detailed bedroom scenes in this book, but it does have good romantic moments. Loved all the characters from Daisy and Jarod to the secondary cast: Chigger, Momma, the Walker triplets, Tinker, Merle and cousin Cathy. If you like ranchers and country music, you'll enjoy this one. I did.
Jenny Jones
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked the story line. It was cute.

The writing was hard to follow. Narration jumped around too much. The names were hard to keep straight at the beginning, since a lot of them end in "Bob". The description (mainly the last sentence) is really misleading. There was very little "action" in their romance.

I was disappointed and won't read the rest of the series.
Melissa
This was an ok read for me. I was distracted through most of the book so it didn't hold my attention for long. The characters were likable, it had a few laugh out loud moments. I really wish there was on page love scenes. The story is written well, I may finish the series but I wont be rushing out to get the next. 3.5 stars
Barbara ★
I really liked this western romance. Jarod was a perfect gentleman (well sort of) and as Daisy said "was sex on a stick". Once burned Daisy was protecting herself and her heart but Jarod's sweetness did her in. I found this to be very romantic and I loved the addition of country songs/lyrics which made things really hit home.
Maggie
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Carolyn Brown writes great characters. Although the cover of this book is quite yummy, the scenes within are not overly graphic which makes to pretty tame for this genre. Great book, I am looking forward to the next one!
Caitlyn Prince
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love cowboy romances and was slightly disappointed with the "action" Brown claimed would occur during this novel.

The two main characters, Daisy and Jarod started off being hesitant about their feelings. I think the tension that was created between the characters felt unreasonable and not genuine reasons to keep people apart. The syntax was incredibly difficult to follow. The conversation jumped around constantly. The multiple people with the middle name bob became slightly obnoxious whenever
Danielle
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an okay story. Nothing to get all excited about. There are several places in which the details don't match. Not just the previously mentioned removal of Jarod's boots. There were a few places with editing errors. Places where punctuation errors were made. This book is getting a higher rating than I want to give it because I actually had to break out the tissue over Emmett.
Lauren
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daisy inherits The Honky Tonk after her friend passes away. When a Stranger rolls into town she quickly finds herself falling for him against all of her better judgements. Isle of the author's writing style and that she has the ability to pull you into the story. great storyline this even better characters. love the realistic happy ending
Jane
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: carolyn-brown
I LOVE THIS BAR by Carolyn Brown is book #1 of the Honky Tonk series. A great fun book to read as you follow Daisy and Jarod on their journey to a happily ever after. I loved every minute of this book and hated for it to end. Each book in the series can be read as a standalone. This author knows how to get your attention and hold onto it. Try it, you'll like it !!
ruth early
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow just wow

Great story couldn’t put it down until I finisher! Looking forward to reading more like this one. It had all the elements of a great book funny. Romantic. And some real characters on the mix.
Betty Hansford
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Fun Read!

Ms. Brown just tickled my funny bone with this book. Except for some scenes with Uncle Everett, I laughed almost all the way through the story! Ms. Brown, you are an absolute wonder and a marvel. Are you and Daisy kin any where down the way?
Connie S. Koog
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honky Tonk!

Loved it was very impressed with the Love and friendship between every one. This is a fun book. Very good
Rita
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the Honky Tonk & Jarod & Daisy! Mrs. Brown never disappoints me! Wonderful book for anyone who loves cowboys, comedy & romance!
Cassie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I cried like a baby smack dab in the middle of the book. I was a sobbing mess while I was reading in my bubble bath. Picture ugly crying. It ended so sweetly though...
KK
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5*
Luv_a_good_story
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the H and h as well as the bar and the other characters.
Sandy M
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, western
Sigh. I’m sorry to say that not much changed from Ms. Brown’s previous series and this one. The points of view changes are still front and center and very frustrating to read. You get used to it a little bit, but when it happens within a couple of paragraphs instead of a number of paragraphs, it’s hard to follow and just plain hard to read. In the first chapter there were 13 POV changes, at a very quick count. I was flippin’ all over the place, and I knew it wasn’t going to alter throughout the ...more
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Daisy O’Dell is the bar owner of Honky Tonk. She has been running the place for seven years, ever since the last owner Ruby died and left the place to Daisy.

Jarod McElroy moved down to Texas to care for his Uncle Emmett and help him with his ranch. When Jarod walked into the Honky Tonk, he was just looking for a place to hang out for a while. He did not realize the woman of his dreams would fall into his lap.

Daisy literally falls for Jarod. Now all Jarod can think about is Daisy and finding a w
Kimberly Lewis
I really enjoyed reading this novel. Jarod is such a sweetheart and I loved how he never gave up on Daisy. He truly shows her that there are still some good guys left in this world:) And like Ms. Brown's other novels, there were some fair share of laughs in this one as well. There is this one part where Daisy is at Jarod's uncle's place and the two of them are in "their" room. Jarod sits down on the bed and the springs creak rather loudly. He gives Daisy a mischievous smile and begins to hop up ...more
Shannon
Really a 2.5 for me.
I think I am glutton for punishment because I want to like these books much more than I am but I can't put them down (or close the file in this case) in hopes that something redeeming will happen. I have noticed with this author that continuity seems to be an issue. Are the boots already off or aren't they. It's only a paragraph apart so why isn't that little thing caught. And does every man she has ever met use a fist to move the lady's chin? Not even a gentle index finger
  • Cowboy Fever
  • Down In Texas
  • Straight Up (Wild Hart Saga, #2)
  • Teaming Up (Harlequin NASCAR, #26)
  • Quinn (Wyoming Sky, #1)
  • Going Cowboy Crazy (Deep in the Heart of Texas, #1)
  • Turn My World Upside Down: Jo's Story
  • Your Mouth Drives Me Crazy (Men of Hawaii #1)
  • Hearts Under Caution
  • Ex, Why, and Me
  • The Real Deal (Roped, #1)
  • Remember Me (The Rosewood Trilogy, #1)
  • Rough Stock: a red hot menage with cowboys
  • The Black Sheep and the Hidden Beauty (Unholy Trinity #2)
  • Wanted! (Sons of Chance, #1)
  • Mad, Bad and Blonde (West Investigations, #1)
  • Yours for the Taking (Domestic Gods, #4)
  • Tyler (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #1)
Hi! I'm twenty five years old and movie star gorgeous. The camera added thirty plus years and a few wrinkles. Can't trust those cameras or mirrors either. Along with bathroom scales they are notorious liars! Honestly, I am the mother of three fantastic grown children who've made me laugh and given me more story ideas than I could ever write. My husband, Charles, is my strongest supporter and my be ...more

Honky Tonk (4 books)
  • Hell, Yeah (Honky Tonk, #2)
  • My Give a Damn's Busted (Honky Tonk, #3)
  • Honky Tonk Christmas (Honky Tonk, #4)