Start by marking “A Low Life in High Heels: The Holly Woodlawn Story” as Want to Read:
A Low Life in High Heels: The Holly Woodlawn Story

A Low Life in High Heels: The Holly Woodlawn Story

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Bound to captivate the many fans of the motion picture Paris Is Burning, Woodlawn's autobiography is a walk on the wild side with Andy Warhol's last superstar and the avant-garde community of the 1960s and '70s. At the age of 16, Harold became Holly Woodlawn and skyrocketed to fame as a superstar in Warhol's movie Trash. "This is must reading".--Harvey Fierstein. Photograp ...more
Published November 1st 1992 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about A Low Life in High Heels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Low Life in High Heels

Tom Schulte
Lou Reed, on Transformer (1972) in "Walk On The Wild Side" gave a brief biography of her:

Holly came from Miami, Fla
Hitchhiked her way across the USA.
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her leg and then he was she

This books amplifies the sordid fun and games, sorrow and pain of Andy Warhol's New York and being Divine's roommate.
Thirstyicon
The same thing I learned from Rocky Horror and countless (gay) icons and stars: Don't Dream It, Be It. Oh and while drugs are fun: consume them, don't let them consume you.
Gilbert
Holly Woodlawn led a remarkable life. Don't know if she is still alive (hope so). A true survivor. Her performance in "Andy Warhol's Trash" is a comedic classic.
Andy
Holly Woodlawn's memoirs are essential reading not only for those interested in the Andy Warhol Factory legend, but is as close as we're going to get to a full-blown (pun) biography on the Warhol Trans-Triad: Holly, Candy Darling and Jackie Curtis. There's tons of dirt on the three divas for your entertainment, as well as fascinating info on Divine, and an inkling on what might have killed him (heart attack? nope!). Tightly told with very little chaff, Low Life In High Heels is the memoir to gob ...more
Brenda
i think I would have liked this better if I had had some background knowledge on the Andy Warhol Factory scene
Leo
Utterly engaging from start to finish, and written with great honesty and humour. This is an eye-popping glimpse into a truly bizarre, yet pivotal period in pop culture history.
Jer'ell Hartsig
I enjoyed and thought it was an entertaining read. Holly Woodlawn was a trailblazer and before her time transvestite, she claimed her fame as one of Warhol's protege.
David
Not a bad read, and Holly's voice is funny, witty, and perfectly bitchy, but at some point this starts to feel like a cataloging of movies, shows, events, and people more than a memoir. She's lived a fascinating and crazy life alongside some amazing people, but there's very little insight or reflection.
Ezra
This book is a fun read that dishes the dirt while also talking in deep and complicated ways about intersections of identity, discrimination, and resilience through issues such as overincarceration of black and brown people, the targeting of trans people for brutality within prisons, considering sex re-assignment surgery, the dynamics of exploitation in Warhol's world, and many stories of queers fighting back and surviving. Ms Woodlawn models telling deeper truths through trashtalk!
Bri Ana
I was loaned this my freshman year at Reed - a welcome escape somewhere between Heroditus and the Letters of the Younger Pliny. Now it qualifies loosely as work related research...

Regardless of circumstance, it is a fun, hyper-campy tell-most of the life and times of a bubbly, unwittingly avant garde transvestite, rocketed through 15 minutes of New York infamy as one of Warhol's Superstars.

Read it as the transgender (cleaned up) alternative to Anger's "Hollywood Babylon".
Scott
A fun read...as I've always had a fascination about the Warhol scene. Holly certainly lived a fascinating life...and anybody that inspires the lyrics to Take a Walk on the Wild Side is alright by me.
Shanna
Very interesting biography. Very funny stories as he and a friend travel through the bible belt to get to NY. Loved it.
Linda Cohen
I had forgotten I had read this during my Book City days until Patti Smith mentioned her in Just Kids.
Mandy
Even if you're not particularly interested in the Warhol crowd, this is a great read.
Selena
Oct 13, 2008 Selena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Transvestites/Gays/Lesbians
Money, Fame, and Power mean nothing if it kills you. Live for love only.
Geary Brewer
Interesting and self-abosrbed. She needed to know she had a life.
Terre Arena
Terre Arena marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Puzlar
Puzlar marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Celene Swagler
Celene Swagler marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Jayzell Jimenez
Jayzell Jimenez marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Monica Scott
Monica Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Ludwig Persson
Ludwig Persson marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Abracadabra
Abracadabra marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Holly Woodlawn Story: A Low Life in High Heels Andy Warhol; The Real King of Pop: Gold Edition

“The boys at the baths loved me. Of course, they were all drunk and high and would've loved a French poodle barking out "Jingle Bells"!” 2 likes