Start by marking “This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection” as Want to Read:
This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection

This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  13,775 Ratings  ·  1,551 Reviews
A touching and hilarious memoir by the author of Carrie and Me: A Mother Daughter Love Story , This Time Together is 100 percent Carol Burnett – funny, irreverent, and irresistible.

Carol Burnett is one of the most beloved and revered actresses and performers in America. The Carol Burnett Show was seen each week by millions of adoring fans and won twenty-five Emmys in its
Published April 6th 2010 by Crown Archetype (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about This Time Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Time Together

TL
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to TL by: don't remember
Shelves: favorites
Listened to this with Mom and Dad on the way to Dad's surgery (he's doing really good now).. I am the only bookworm of the three of us but we all love Carol so they didn't mind when I put this on instead of music.

Comfort read for mom and me.. Dad didn't say much but I caught him smiling a few times.

Good Medicine this one is:).
----
*upping my rating :)*
*Minor edits to original review*
~~~~
Original read: March 6th-15th 2015
Re-read: April 22nd-30th 2016 (need comfort reads)
Third Re-read: January 2017
Char
This is a wonderful collection of stories from Carol. Expect no muck-racking or trash talking about other celebrities-Carol is too classy for that. You can expect to learn more about her variety show, all of her guests and co-stars, and a little about her family and her life growing up. There are very few sad moments or stories here, but that was just fine with me.

Highly recommended in audio form for fans of the Carol Burnett show.
Flannery
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of comedy memoirs, quick audiobooks, Carol Burnett, and emotions
Recommended to Flannery by: Aileen
At the end of each episode of her eponymous show, Carol Burnett would sing "I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together," a short tune written by her then-husband and executive producer Joe Hamilton, and then tug her ear as a reminder to her gran that she was thinking of her. The lyrics are, in part, as follows:

I'm so glad we had this time together,
Just to have a laugh, or sing a song.
Seems we just got started and before you know it
Comes the time we have to say, 'So long.'

There's a time you put aside
Barbara
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it

Carol Burnett is probably one of the best known and most popular television personalities. Reruns of her old variety show can still be seen on cable TV.

Carol Burnett had amiable, but alcoholic, parents and was raised in the Hollywood area by her grandmother. Early in life Carol realized she wanted to be an entertainer and, with talent and drive, became a very successful comedian, singer, and actor. Along the way Carol acted in stage plays, TV shows, and movies. She was a regular on th
Mike (the Paladin)
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
How many of you reading this recall The Garry Moore Show? I grew up watching it and still recall it for it's humor (as a kid the musical numbers were mostly of lesser interest). Mr. Moore gave a lot of people a start, people whose names you'd recognize but none was funnier than a woman who became a regular on the show. This program was my own introduction to Carol Burnett.

Here we have a memoir that will leave you laughing and wishing for more. If (like me) you recall Garry Moore as well as the C
Naksed
I was watching Annie with my little one the other day and within minutes, I was shaking my head. How could any actress even attempt to play Miss Hannigan after Carol Burnett's performance. It wasn't just that it was funny. In fact, it may not be a lot of people's cup of tea because it is so broad, as is her style. It was that Carol Burnett decided that her character was going to play this silly, comedy musical, as if it was a melodrama. She was Joan Crawford at her long-suffering, martyr best!!! ...more
Yodamom
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I had a lovely time with Ms. Burnett once again. She has lived a fun and eventful life.
Lotusgirl
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Why I bought it? I actually didn't buy this one. A friend recommended it highly and lent it to me on CD.

Synopsis: Carol Burnett tells humorous vignettes and memorable moments from her life starting at her childhood and continuing through her rise to fame and beyond.

What I thought? There's a reason I'm breaking my regular schedule for this. I LOVED it. I highly recommend listening to this one. Carol Burnett narrates. She tarzan yells, sings, chuckles, and you chuckle along. It's completely enchan
Pamela
I adore Carol Burnett!!! My sister and I both do. Growing up we couldn’t wait for Saturday night to roll around and the privilege of staying up late to watch “The Carol Burnett Show” featuring Vickie Lawrence, Harvey Korman, and Tim Conway. Zany skits – elaborate musical numbers – colorful costumes – a live orchestra and audience – and headliner guest stars. So many laughs. So many great memories, lying on funky-orange shag carpet, chins propped in our hands, eyes glued to the old Magnavox conso ...more
Misha Crews
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Misha by: Karen
Shelves: 2012
Probably the best thing I can say about This Time Together is this: I stopped reading for two days, right before the end, because I didn't want it to be over.

Like many people, I grew up watching The Carol Burnett Show, and I still count many moments of that show as some of the funniest I've ever seen on television. How many TV programs make you laugh 'til you're breathless? Hers managed to do that all the time. This memoir was pretty much as perfect as any fan could hope. It was as if Carol wer
Schmacko
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carol Burnett is one of my heroes, someone who I remember clearly from when I was very little. I often imagined being related to her, as a Patrick to her Auntie Mame. What can I say; I’m one of 11 kids, and I had dreams of a charming and singular exit from destitution. Before my dad married my stepmother, who controlled our Zenith console like a despot ruler, I got to pick one television program a week; it was always The Carol Burnett Show.

This memoir is a collection of cute, funny stories about
Amanda
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
My parents gave my sister and me a Kindle for Easter which I could go on and on about. Aside from being a wonderful gift, one of the best parts about it is that they are linked. If one of us buys a book then it pops up on all four devices. Another great perk seems to be that I'm going to read books that I wouldn't have ever picked up on my own like this one.

While I remember watching The Carol Burnett Show as a kid, it must have been in re-runs because it went off the air the year I was born. Ev
Candychaser21
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was younger my parents bought one of the anniversary specials of the Carol Burnett show on VHS. I was in absolute awe at how funny the show was, especially mesmerized by how often Tim Conway would destroy his other cast mates with his going off the script, and making stuff up. I found myself from then on a huge fan of this show, and the stars of it. So of course when Ms. Burnett came out with this book telling her life story, I could not wait to get my hands on it! I read it in 2 sittings ...more
Gina
My life, especially my childhood, was made infinitely better by Carol Burnett.

My dad was an alcoholic and my mom the sweetest, most loving person you could ever hope to meet. Together we waited with great anticipation for the weekly Carol Burnett Show to air. When I learned that she, too, was the child of an alcoholic (in her case, her mom), I loved her even more for it.

It's no surprise, then, that I gave this book 5 stars. I admire Carol, and I'd love to be her friend. I'd like to tell her jus
Stephanie
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol Burnett is an icon in comedy and this collection of short anecdotes about her life in the business, her family, and her friendships was really interesting and fun. Nothing too deep here, she has other memoirs on the meat and potatoes of her life. This was mostly fun with a couple of heart breakers thrown in for substance. She is a really amazing person!
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Loved this book. It had its funny and tearful moments. I've always enjoyed her shows and now her book.
Aileen
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've been wanting to write a review about this one for a while (I read it maybe a year-and-a-half ago), but haven't really been able to eloquently speak about how much I love Carol Burnett.

You know how every so often you come across someone who's, quite honestly, the nicest person you've ever met? I have a friend like this (Hi Sonnet!) who'll greet me in the morning with a, "Hey, Aileen! Aren't you looking fabulous today. You're so pretty! And wonderful! And I love you!" and other stuff that mak
Kathleen Hagen
This Time Together, Laughter and Reflections, by Carol Burnett, narrated by Carol Burnett, produced by Random House Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This book got me through a harrowing weekend laughing throughout. Here we have remembrances of people and events, and the back story to scenes for the Carol Burnett show which lasted eleven years and got 25 Emmys. We hear reminiscences of her friendships with Lucille Ball, Jimmy Stewart, Beverely Sills, Julie Andrews, (including a prank that she a
emily
Let me start of saying I love Carol Burnett. I find her hilarious and a good actress to boot. This however was bland and boring. I guess its kind of not a biography, or really a memoir. What it is, is tiny stories about people in her life, certain events etc. Each chapter is a new one about a different person or event and is only 3-4 pages long.

This wouldn't be so bad if it were more advertised this way and if the stories were more interesting. She glosses over a lot of things. Saying, things l
Andrea Cox
I knew Carol Burnett was funny, but hearing her share anecdotes from her life -- and adding sound effects to them -- proved her to be quite hilarious. She made several different decades sound like such fun to have been in television and movies. Things have certainly changed a lot since those good ol' days. I'm glad I listened to this audio book about many of Carol's experiences in and around the entertainment business. She certainly has great timing, whether it be in her acting or sharing person ...more
Myla
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I liked this...she’s a good lady. She seems very down to earth. But I think I’m just about as young as you can go and still appreciate who and what she’s talking about. And that’s only because I watched too much TV as a kid which included the Carol Burnett show...which I always did think was funny.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
When I was growing up, everything stopped for the Carol Burnett show. My mother loved the singing and dancing while we kids loved the silly sketches and inventive costumes. Since we had never left the Midwest and didn't go to non-Disney movies in those days, we didn't get some of the references, but that was OK. We wanted to see what Carol's latest mad character would be, or watch Tim Conway crack up Harvey Korman with his wide-eyed innocent look and the "little old man" schtick. (I didn't like ...more
Amy
The audio version of this book is read by Carol Burnett, herself, and hearing it in her own voice adds a nice layer to all the stories told. I'd read Ms. Burnett's first book about growing up in an extremely dysfunctional, yet extremely loving family. This was a nice follow-up -- stories of her breaking into show-biz, time on TV, family life, and life after The Carol Burnett Show. There were quite a few funny moments, some poignant, and some really interesting/informational. It was more on the s ...more
Ann
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. She has a wonderful sense of humor. She discussed family and show business through the years and she spent at least a chapter on each of her costars from her show. Also mixed in some very humurous stories about everyday life (especially encounters with regular folk). The ending was very touching when she discussed her daughters passing.

Nothing earth shattering here just some good laughs.
Carol
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars, not because it is great literature, it's not, but because it is exactly what I want when I pick up a show biz biography/memoir. It was an easy read, well written,and had lots of backstage insights and tidbits about other stars. I was already familiar with some of the stories from other books or interviews. But most them were new to me and I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Delightful, really. The lady knows how to tell a story. In this one she tells a lot of stories about the great variety of famous people she has had the pleasure to know as friends and co-workers. She is one class act.

Thanks to my sister's college roommate, I will always think of eye boogers when I think of Carol Burnett. For those of you who don't know, that's pronounced "AAH boo-GAHS."
Cara's Craftastic Creations
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, biography
I could hear Carol trying to hold back tears as she talked about her oldest daughter Carrie's death.
Vivien
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I laughed my way through this and even cried once. I love how relatable Carol is! A super quick and sweet read.
Sandy James
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the anecdotes. I grew up with the Carol Burnette Show, and it was so great to read about how it came about.
Kelly
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Candid, hysterical, and even heartbreaking at times. I have been a fan of Carol Burnett for as long as I can remember. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her narrating snippets of her life.
Play Book Tag: This Time Together, Carol Burnett. 5 Stars 2 9 Aug 16, 2016 04:33PM
I haven't laughed this hard since her show 5 27 Mar 07, 2014 04:13AM
  • The Time of My Life
  • My Life So Far
  • Child Star
  • Kate Remembered
CAROL BURNETT has been an actor on Broadway, on television, and in the movies. She has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, The Mark Twain Prize for Humor and the Kennedy Center Honors, among other singular achievements of a woman comedian who was nothing less than a pioneer and a role model for today's stars.

-About the Author, In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Journal of a Solitude
  • Living by the Word: Essays
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Cavort, dear, just cavort” 13 likes
“Carol, if you could be a member of the opposite sex for twenty-four hours, and then pop back and be yourself again, who would you be and what would you do?” My mind started racing like mad. Opposite sex? For twenty-four hours? Who would I be? What would I do? I said a quick little prayer. Please, let me just open my mouth and have whatever comes out make sense. I took a deep breath and what came out was this: “I’d be Osama bin Laden, and I’d kill myself.” 5 likes