Start by marking “Dewey the Library Cat: A True Story” as Want to Read:
Dewey the Library Cat: A True Story

Dewey the Library Cat: A True Story

(Dewey Readmore)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  47,482 ratings  ·  5,894 reviews
In the tradition of Marley: A Dog Like No Other, this is the story of a cat who was more than a pet, and the amazing effect he had on the people around him. This middle-grade adaptation of the Grand Central bestseller Dewey features an 8-page photo insert, including exclusive, never-before-seen photos of the Dew!

Now everyone's favorite library cat can inspire a new audien
Hardcover, Young Readers Edition, 214 pages
Published May 3rd 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dewey the Library Cat, please sign up.
ATrueBookworm Yes, it is. Myron does a amazing job of portraying her life and the lives of her customers. Also, the way she describes Dewey and his personality is…moreYes, it is. Myron does a amazing job of portraying her life and the lives of her customers. Also, the way she describes Dewey and his personality is adorable. If you like cat books, depressing back story's, and small town America, than you will probably find this little gem of a book very interesting. I know I did.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sandy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  47,482 ratings  ·  5,894 reviews

Cathleen
Nov 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, am I in the minority with this one. I like cats, I like libraries, and I've even known a library cat or two. I didn't expect to rave about this book quite as much as many others have done, but I also didn't expect to think so very little of it.

A few cute anecdotes notwithstanding, there is just nothing special about this book. Any pet owner could write as much (and many would do it markedly better). The tone of the author was grating to me, and her experiences were not nearly as interestin
Kinga
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect this book to be quality literature and of course it wasn't. It was a feel-good book, only I've noticed that most feel-good books actually make me feel nauseous instead of good. Especially those that idealize small town America.

I thought I was going to scream if I had to read another paragraph about how amazing the town of Spencer, Iowa is. To give you a taste:
"That's another of Spencer's unique and valuable assets: its people. We are good, solid, hardworking midwesterners. We are
Carmaletta Hilton
I thought I was reading a book about a cat, but I wound up reading a book about a woman with a lot of troubles in her life. For every chapter that was actually about Dewey, there seemed to be 2 or 3 that were just about her. I'm very sorry for the losses in this woman's life, and the things she went through, but that's not what I set out to read. I expected a good, light-hearted story about a cat, but every time I reached a point where my spirits were lifted, Ms. Myron brought it all crashing do ...more
Bionic Jean
There is a common idiomatic phrase, "it does exactly what it says on the tin". Well in the case of Dewey: The small-town library-cat who touched the world by Vicki Myron and Bret Witter, it doesn't. The book is a bit of a hotch-potch.

It starts out as a very promising and touching animal story. The librarian of a small town library in Spencer, Iowa, discovers a tiny, frozen, furry bundle in the drop-box of her library. Incredibly, the bundle proves to be a kitten who is still alive, though barel
Tom Franklin
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vicky Myron's "Dewey" is a book about many things: life in small town Iowa, Vicky's own life history, the important role a library can play in the life and identity of a community and, of course, Dewey Readmore Books, one of the best known and well loved cats in the world.

Despite the variety of topics Myron writes about, her book holds together so well through her decision to write honestly about everything. Some of her personal and family history was obviously difficult to write about, but its
Phrynne
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
A little disappointing. I was expecting a book about Dewey but he hardly featured at all. I enjoyed the sections about the other cats but again they were out weighed by long anecdotes about their owners which did not really interest me.
The best bits are the photos especially the one of Dewey on the cover. He was a real beauty.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

A non-fiction book about an adorable cat and a small town's history. The cat helps change that history and give the town's heart a bit more beat. Un
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Firstly, thank you all for enjoying putting up with my cat-story updates. As pet lovers know, we all need to talk about our pets to random strangers from time to time, so that was rather therapeutic.

Dewey's story is an incredible one. And, as shown by the 20-year difference from the beginning to the end of the book, it's highly unlikely the library would have adopted a cat in this day and age. As Vicki notes, there were complaints after Dewey showed up and it was decided that he would stay, but
Johnny Story
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers and saps
If you ever had a cat growing up then you have to read this book. Much like pets, embarking on this comparatively short 275 page journey, you're signing up for the little guy to warm you over, make you smile, and eventually break your heart (after a 19 year run). With pets, we know what we're getting into and but we just have to do it anyway. To outsiders our pets may be labeled "just a stupid cat" or "just a dumb mutt." However, if you've grown up with one before you've felt that connection. Yo ...more
Suzanne
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this is not a great literary book, I give it high rating because it touched my heart and is such a strong reminder of how much animals add to our lives. If you have ever saved or rescued an animal, you know how grateful they are and how much love they give back. They bring us though hard and sad times in such a special way. This little guy touch the hearts and lives of an entire town and, through this book, continues to touch hearts.
Matthew
This was an okay book - not great, but pretty interesting and easy to follow. It was an interesting (and sometimes bizarre) mix of emotions; happy, sad, or even disturbing.

Here are a few observational bullet points:

- 30% of this book is about the cat. If you expect to have a book just about the cat, you will be very disappointed.
- 30% is about small town America, 80s farm crisis, etc. This was sort of interesting, but unexpected.
- 30% is about the author's difficult life. She went through a lot,
Reese
Dec 20, 2009 marked it as stopped-reading  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who think a blanket is food & old folks who miss walking miles to school during snowstorms
Ignore the "to-read" following "never-got-to-the-last-page." Only 210 more pages to go the distance and earn the right to give one star to DEWEY -- but I left the ring. Another ten pages -- and I might have been "down for the count" in Spencer, Iowa. Sorry -- kitty lovers. By the way, I'm one of you. Sorry -- Simple Simon lovers. And sorry -- small-town, out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere, lovers. This book may be for you, but it's not for me.

When I hated grading freshman compositions, but before the
Margitte
BLURB: How much of an impact can an animal have? How many lives can one cat touch? How is it possible for an abandoned kitten to transform a small library, save a classic American town, and eventually become famous around the world? You can't even begin to answer those questions until you hear the charming story of Dewey Readmore Books, the beloved library cat of Spencer, Iowa.

COMMENTS
Jawelnofine, I am one of those weirdos who just cannot resist the idea of Dewey the library cat. My whole life w
Kaya Dimitrova
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Ревю => http://justonebooklover.blogspot.bg/2...
~ ~ ~
Топъл и трогателен роман, който неведнъж ме накара да се усмихна, да се разсмея и... добре де, да си поплача! За топлотата и уюта, които изпитвах, докато четях книгата, допринесе и това, че си личеше как е написана от сърце, а любовта, вложена в нея, струеше из страниците ѝ! История за едно коте, появило се на подходящото място, в подходящото време и променило енергията и настроението на цял един град. Симпатично четиво, което препоръчвам д
West
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like reading fluff.
Shelves: 2008
Purely a feel-good story (which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you like to read). I can't help but feel the author was prone to over-romanticize Dewey and attribute absolute intent all of the time to all of his actions.

Don't get me wrong--I am a cat owner/lover myself... But, as a resident realist, the fact that Dewey lived so long, generated so much publicity, and obviously soothed a lonely woman who seemed to have a host of physical (and possibly emotional?) issues may
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: GR team
An unforgettable story about a cat and his power to change our lives forever!!
Amanda
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Animal lovers and Hallmark commercial cryers
Recommended to Amanda by: GoodReads is advertising it like the second coming
Shelves: 2008, it-s-kinda-true
As I walked out of Penn Station this morning, the proverbial country mouse blinking in the early morning city sunshine, the homesick hole in my heart was filled with a glorious and familiar sight--Borders Bookstore! Oh thank god, finally somewhere I can navigate with familiar ease. And familiarity is an understatement. Every table and shelf looked exactly the same as every table and shelf in the bookstore back home--Cormac McCarthy alongside Love in the Time of Cholera. Jane Green sidling up to ...more
Rachel Aranda
This book is a 2.75 rating for me but I'll round to a 3 as I couldn't have finished this book if it wasn't in an audio version. I'd definitely recommend the audio over print.

When I bought this book I thought I was buying a book just about Dewy Readsmore Books, his life at the library, and aspects of how he grew to be the most famous library cat ever. Instead I heard a lot about the private life of his owner, Vicki Myron, and the town both cat and owner call home. This disappointed me as, if I'm
Grace
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is certainly a tear-jerker, and one that will appeal to anyone who has a heart, but especially to anyone who works at a library. The book is one of those wonderful experiences where the story may be about a cat, but there are lessons to be learned throughout that can apply to anyone's life.

But the main character is, of course, Dewey himself, who springs to life in such endearing ways. I never tired of hearing about the behavior and antics of this amazing library cat.

My only complaint,
Kirsti
Oct 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who can tolerate six packets of Equal in one cup of coffee
OMG I AM O.D'ing ON RURAL CHARM GET TO THE POINT ALREADY.

I am listening to the audiobook, which is narrated by the same woman who narrated five gruesome mystery novels by Julia Spencer-Fleming. So, even though this book is about a pwecious widdle kitty cat, I keep thinking that any minute there will be a disembowelment.

I really don't know if I can finish this thing. It seems to be a Reader's Digest article that has metastasized into a bestseller.

________________________________________________

UP
Деница Райкова
Случвало ли ви се е да прочетете една и съща книга повече от веднъж и да се просълзявате при всяко нейно прочитане?
На мен ми се е случвало с не повече от три-четири книги.
И тази се оказа една от тях.
Имам много истории с любимите си книги. Историята ми с "Дюи" започна доста отдавна - когато видях книгата на книжния панаир във Франкфурт. Пожелах я още тогава, но тя не можа да стане моя. Това стана няколко месеца по-късно, която я открих в книжарница от веригата "Уотърстоунс" в Англия.
Прочетох я и
Erin
Nov 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is in some serious need of editing. The anecdotes about Dewey were cute, but the long winded history of small town Iowa and the author were too much for me.

I didn't finish this book and I wish I had the two hours back that I gave to it.
Цветелина
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Не знам как се очаква да оцениш нечия истинска история с брой звезди. Нечии премеждия, надежди, обич, загуби и тъгуване - как да им сложиш оценка, като че е поредният художествен роман?

На такива хора като мен не трябва да им е разрешено да се докосват до книги като Дюи. Не си спомням кога за последно съм плакала на книга, но този път ще го запомня, защото тук не говорим за отронването на една или две сълзи.
Дюи (котаракът, не само книгата) е бил топлина и обич, утеха и близост, каквато може да из
Jeanette
Oh, this made me laugh and feel sad at the same time. Having emptied book drops myself, Vicki Myron sure knows how it goes. Nothing surprises me.

But Dewey's tale in Spencer, Iowa sure was something. With human reversals and our sad good-byes, nothing seems to unite as does a savvy beast who understands how to run all of us.

Dewey's legacy, IMHO, is trying to focus on every day kindness to closest and stranger alike, and toward achieving a uniting factor of non-criticism toward the most peaceful
Lisa
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book turned out to be about more than a cute cat. I also learned a lot about corn, family farms, farming and small towns, as well as about the author. She tries to stay out of the book, but that is a difficult task. Dewey is an amazing cat and definatley worth reading about.
Willy
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Този малък сладур не е бил просто котка, той е дарявал хората с любов и поткрепа! Ще ми се да се бях „запознала” с него по-рано...От всяка страница струеше обич! Вече обичам тази книга! <3
Caroline
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a lark. At 5.00am in the morning I can read anything. In fact I’m up for a challenge. But as the day wears on I flag. Come 11pm at night my brain is mush, and my bedtime reading has to be easy, soothing and happy. Stodge for the eyes. It has to go down like my favourite pudding.

“Dewey – The small-town library-cat who touched the world” was in this vein. It should have appealed to bedtime me – I am completely besotted with cats, and with libraries for that matter..... but it didn’t. The book
Kristina
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Прекрасен Дюи, благодаря ти, че ме намери <3

Отдавна имах нужда да прочета подобна книга, която да ми напомни, че най-обикновените неща всъщност са най-необикновени. Колко е важно да обичаш безрезервно и без очаквания. Колко е важно да се държим мило с всички, защото не знаем през какви трудности е трябвало да преминат и колко болка са изпитали.

Дюи - макар и на пръв поглед просто едно красиво коте - е наистина много повече от "просто коте". Той е олицетворение на онзи чист детски дух, който н
Ralitsa  Koleva
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Тази книга е любов и да й направя ревю ще е много трудно. Любителите на котки очакват да е посветена само и единствено на Дюи, а другите биха я погледнали с насмешка, защото смятат, че не биха открили нещо повече от историята на една котка в нея, но… „Дюи – котето от малката провинциална библиотека, което трогна света“ е много повече от историята на една котка и точно това ще се опитам да ви покажа с това ревю.

Cheryl
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is as much about Spencer, Iowa and the people who live there as it is about Dewey the cat. The author (a librarian in Spencer) tells of the people in the town and how Dewey affected their lives for the better. She chronicles his life from when he came to the library as an abandoned kitten to his death at age 19. While heartwarming, this isn't a cutsie story about a kitty cat. The town, the librarian, and the cat are all survivors of hard times. An enjoyable read.

• Homer's Odyssey
  • Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat
  • Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl
  • A Cat Abroad
  • The Cat and the Curmudgeon
  • Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm
  • Cleo: How an Uppity Cat Helped Heal a Family
  • A Lion Called Christian: The True Story of the Remarkable Bond Between Two Friends and a Lion
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • My Cat Spit McGee
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • The Daily Coyote: Story of Love, Survival, and Trust In the Wilds of Wyoming
  • Zamba: The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived
  • The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • James Herriot's Cat Stories
I was born in Spencer and grew up on a farm south of Moneta, Iowa—a town that no longer exists. I graduated from Hartley Iowa High School and moved to Mankato, Minnesota where I worked, married, had a daughter and went to college. I have a bachelor’s degree from Mankato State and a master’s from Emporia State University, Emporia, Kansas. In 1982, I returned to Spencer, Iowa to begin working at the ...more

Dewey Readmore (4 books)
  • Dewey: There's a Cat in the Library!
  • Dewey's Christmas at the Library
  • Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions
“A great library doesn't have to be big or beautiful. It doesn't have to have the best facilities or the most efficient staff or the most users. A great library provides. It is enmeshed in the life of a community in a way that makes it indispensable. A great library is one nobody notices because it is always there, and always has what people need.” 126 likes
“That's life. We all go through the tractor blades now and then. We all get bruised, and we all get cut. Sometimes the blade cuts deep. The lucky ones come through with a few scratches, a little blood, but even that isn't the most important thing. The most important thing is having someone there to scoop you up, to hold you tight, and to tell you everything is all right.” 38 likes