Start by marking “The Very Fairy Princess” as Want to Read:
The Very Fairy Princess

The Very Fairy Princess

(The Very Fairy Princess)

While her friends and family may not believe in fairies, Geraldine knows, deep down, that she is a VERY fairy princess. From morning to night, Gerry does everything that fairy princesses do: she dresses in her royal attire, practices her flying skills, and she is always on the lookout for problems to solve. But it isn't all twirls and tiaras - as every fairy princess knows ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Very Fairy Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Fairy Princess

Start your review of The Very Fairy Princess
The Library Lady
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Most celebrity authors suck. Whoopie Goldberg? Jay Leno? Madonna? PUH-LEEZ!

Julie Andrews is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Years ago, she published several excellent children's fantasy novels as Julie Edwards. She didn't need to trade on her celebrity--because her books were GOOD!

People will want this because of the celebrity name. But take away the celebrity name and you will still have a lovely little picture book. You may not be convinced that Gerry is a fairy princess, but you will b
Lisa Vegan
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girly girls who like pink and princesses and who might have a bit of chutzpah too
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I love Julie Andrews (that’s the way her author name appears on this book’s cover) and so I was thrilled when I heard about this book. She’s one celebrity author, here with her sometimes co-author daughter, who writes truly good children’s books. Mandy, a novel, is probably my favorite of them, but I’ve enjoyed several others too.

* Chandra: alert!: this book has fairy houses AND a (sort of) unicorn!!

So, I really enjoyed this. The girl in this book reminds me a bit of Eloise.

I think that the girl
Kathryn
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Geraldine is a very fairy princess! She knows this because of a feeling deep down inside, and because when she behaves as a fairy princess does, she just feels sparkly. Some say fairy princesses don't have scabby knees or get their fingernails dirty, but that's the thing with Princess Geraldine, she knows that these are like honor marks, because true fairy princesses know that they have to work hard sometimes.

This all probably sounds very trite and "been there/done that" with all the books abou
Brittany
4 Sparkling Stars 🌟!!

“You just have to let your Sparkle out!” Who doesn’t love Julie Andrews? With a resume from Sound of Music, Mary Poppins to Princess Diaries, why not add author to it? This is a sweet story about a girl who just “knows” and “can just feel” that she is a Fairy Princess. Don’t we all have a little sparkle inside of us?? This is a joyful story with beautiful illustrations about believing in yourself and sharing your unique inner sparkle! My 4 year old princess loved this one ;
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fantastic little book. It caught my eye because of Julie Andrews's name and I fell in love with it because of the story. Davenier's illustrations capture Gerry's spirit and the rough but styled illustrations show off Gerry's world and her place in it with that touch of carefree unruliness she also possesses.

Gerry is a great character. In a way, she is wild and boisterous, but she does follow the rules at times and understands how to behave. I love that Gerry has no worries; she does wh
Dolly
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Ahhh...the life of a fairy princess. I have two princesses and although I was unsure how to do the princess thing myself, our girls made up more than enough for my lack of knowledge, enthusiasm and creativity. My youngest wore tights, a dress and her crown just about every day of preschool and fairy wings have been snuck in the car more than once. So really, what I'm trying to say is that we can relate to this story and we really enjoyed reading it together. The illustrations are fun and I reall ...more
Angie
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
I am usually very cynical of books written by "famous" people--most of the time they were not really worth it. At least in my opinion.

But, this one is very cute. My sister brought it over from the library for she and myself and my niece to read together. This is a "real" little girl who fancies herself a princess. She sometimes gets dirty but remembers to compliment her friends. She sometimes acts out a little bit in class but LOVES her teacher.

If you've got your own little princess, read this
Briana
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This review is also posted at Pages Unbound Book Reviews.

Summary: Geraldine knows she is a very fairy princess, even if no one else does. This is the story of how a proper fairy princess spends her day.

Art: This book is pink, glittery, and bright, perfect for any reader who enjoys a bit of glamour. The pencil illustrations are open and colorful, with streaks of red, blue, and green visible even in Geraldine’s blonde hair.

Review: The Very Fairy Princess is something of a typical princess book, si
Katieb (MundieMoms)
This is such an adorable story with illustrations little girls will love. What little girl doesn't like to dress up and pretend they are a princess, or wear tu-tu's around the house and dance? Gerry knows she's a fairy princess and with her tiara, and fairy wings on, she's ready for what day has in store for her. This fairy princess knows her manners and always acts like a proper princess. Even while playing and getting dirty for trying to catch frogs.

Gerry's story takes us through her day of ge
Margaret Chind
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Sara Zick
My maiden name is Andrews and growing up that gave me one more reason to love Julie Andrews other than the Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast and many many more things of my youth including the Princess Diaries. When I discovered a few years ago that Julie and her daughter co-authored several children's books I was excited, because having been entertained by Julie in my childhood I'm sure her books are delightful. I have read a few of them in passing and in my nanny years, but Th ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Gerry's story takes us through her day of ge
Marathon County Public Library

What little girl doesn't imagine being a princess? From morning until evening, Geraldine pretends to be a young royal who goes through each day doing the same as a princess, even though others may not believe in her. This is a beautiful children's story that will warm everyone's heart. Anyone can believe in something if they really feel it in their heart.

Pam S. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Elizabeth
Jan 03, 2016 added it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Molly and Carmen were cleaning out
Meh. The protagonist has a lot of energy, and I appreciate that she's both practical and playful (sometimes taking too much of the spotlight but also speaking up e.g. when the class hamster escaps) and insists that stuff like sneakers can be totally appropriate fairy princess garb (despite her brother's nay-saying) and that she's supportive rather than haughty ["My best friend, Delilah, doesn't believe that I'm a fairy princess. I say you can be whatever you want to be. You just have to let your ...more
Brittney
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was very cute, and had amazing illustration as well. I would read this aloud to a group of girls, maybe around 6 years old. The story is about a young girl named Geraldine who views herself as a very fairy princess. I really thought this book was quite well written and it encourages young girls to have an imagination, and that they can dream, as well as adventure. I remember when I was younger I used to pretend I was a Fairy and this book brought back a lot of old memories. This book b ...more
Nielson
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Written by this dynamic mother and daughter duo, Gerry, the very fairy princess, teaches us all of the proper etiquette and behaviors of fairy princesses. The cute thing is, she is just highlighting all of the little things girls do in everyday life that make them fairy princesses. This is a perfect book for all of those sweet little princesses in your life.
The colored pencil illustrations give the story a more whimsical feel and the cover and sparkly illustrations will make you want to let you
Melissa
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
This is probably a five-star book for fairy princess girls, but I'm not sure it has much to offer to anyone else. I know it's supposed to show us how we can celebrate ourselves, or believe in ourselves, or something, but ultimately it feels a little limited. I mean, pink clothes and drawing and singing and going to ballet class and exercising unicorns and sugar cookies with sprinkles? I'm way more interested in Gerry's trombone-playing girlfriend.
Lajune Neal
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a really cute story and great to read. I enjoyed how the little girl used her imagination and was very confident. She didn't allow anyone to tell her who or what she was. I also enjoyed this book because her parents encouraged her in using her imagination and being whateva she wants. This story is great for little children and helping them to see and believe that they too can be whoever and whatever they want to be.
Luisa Knight
Ages: 4 - 8

Cleanliness: mentions magic, unicorns and fairies.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Heidi
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the coolest things my little ones School does is give books for birthdays. They use the Scholastic program, and we also try to support every bit we can. Books are treasures, and she LOVES that she gets to keep this one that came from school.

She also adores pink, princesses and all things found in this book. Perfect pick! Great bedtime read too.
Rachel
Jun 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute book for girls about the correct behaviors and actions of proper fairy princesses, and for once, not over-done or sparkly as a lot of girl picture books tend to be. The illustrations were funny, esp as they had the all-knowing older brother in the background of most images.
Angie
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I did not know until recently that Julie Andrews has been writing childrens books...I went immediately to the library to find some, this is the only one they had avaiable. It is very sweet and in my mind Julie Andrews was reading it me.
Shelli
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet story of a little girl who is always a princess but couldn't wait to be one in the ballet play performance in front some of her friends and family. When she didn't get her dream role she showed the stuff that real princesses are made of. Cute story that shows great character.
Kate
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute children's book about a girl who thinks she is a fairy princess, her sparkle, her love of pink, and how she tries in small ways to make the world a better place. I really recommend it if you have kids to read to, or if you are a kid at heart yourself :)
Kayla Walton
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-peanut
I thought this was an excellent story given the theme is so overdone. I'm not anti-princess but it is nice to find books that reinforce the idea that dirt and ingenuity are positives in a fairy princess instead of going after the same old tropes of helplessness and dainty looks.
Kay
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I chose this book just because of who the author was and was not disappointed. Wanted to see if it would be good for a six year old reader ad it was. After I read it I gave it to her. She enjoyed it a lot and asked if there were more. Glad I had purchased the next one also.
Kathryn Bergeron
Shazzer
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute; bit of a well-worn path, but enjoyable.
Brandie
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Darling, perfect, cute.... all the things you would want from a princess book. Short and sweet, perfect for a bedtime story.
Bridget

• A Tree Is Nice
  • The Left-Handed Fate
  • Thank You, Mr. Panda
  • Thank You, Omu!
Dame Julie Elizabeth Andrews Edwards, DBE is an award-winning English actress, singer, author and cultural icon. She is the recipient of Golden Globe, Emmy, Grammy, BAFTA, People's Choice Award, Theatre World Award, Screen Actors Guild and Academy Award honours. Andrews rose to prominence after starring in Broadway musicals such as My Fair Lady and Camelot, as well as musical films like Mary Poppi ...more

The Very Fairy Princess (10 books)
  • The Very Fairy Princess Takes the Stage
  • Here Comes the Flower Girl! (The Very Fairy Princess, #3)
  • The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart
  • The Very Fairy Princess Sparkles in the Snow
  • The Very Fairy Princess: Graduation Girl!
  • The Very Fairy Princess: A Spooky, Sparkly Halloween