Start by marking “Samurai Invasion: Japan's Korean War 1592 -1598” as Want to Read:
Samurai Invasion: Japan's Korean War 1592 -1598

Samurai Invasion: Japan's Korean War 1592 -1598

It's an extraordinary tale, largely untold--until now. Researched in both Japanese and Korean archives, and authored by the world's most acclaimed historian of the Samurai period, here is the most complete account yet written of Japan's two invasions of Korea. It includes, among other treasures, never-before seen Japanese illustrations and battle reports. By the end of the ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Cassell (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Samurai Invasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samurai Invasion

Start your review of Samurai Invasion: Japan's Korean War 1592 -1598
Steve

Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1536-1598)

Nota bene:
I am combining my reviews of Kenneth M. Swope's A Dragon's Head and a Serpent's Tail: Ming China and the First Great East Asian War, 1592-1598 (2009) and Stephen Turnbull's Samurai Invasion: Japan's Korean War 1592 -1598 (2002) into one. If you've read the one review, then you've read the other.

As if the Japanese depredations on the Asian continent in the 1930's and 40's were not enough, not to mention their decades long colonization of Korea - compl
Bob Newman
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan, history
humans are crazy

Not so far from my house here in Massachusetts, there is a long, sandy beach. A lone pine stands guard by the small dunes near the entrance. On a windy day, you can hear the wind singing in that tree as you look out over a group of rocks that sleep like turtles at the waterline. The cold sand strewn with clam shells and the often-gray skies stretching to the horizon can take your mind flying to the past or the future. How can I imagine the pointless violence of a Japanese samurai
Claire
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I honestly didn't know three-quarters of the nitty-gritty details about these invasions before I opened Turnbull's book. So I am incredibly thankful to my friend for loaning me this book.

What you might like from seeing it are all the fun period illustrations. Is it a dragon? Is it a turtle? What, just what, is it supposed to represent?

What I liked most about this book was how it added to what I already knew before.

I have seen a couple of the names in the bibliography when I was doing research
Manolo González
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
For a 100 page book it’s perfect to know all the basic stuff about the conflict, but in some cases (like the last part of the conflict) you are left with more questions than answers. For further reading I strongly suggest “The Imjin War” of Samuel Hawley.
AskHistorians
The second of the three books on the Imjin War, Turnbull writes from a mostly Japanese perspective. His book tends to favor the Japanese over the Ming and the Koreans.
Adam Ziel
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a pretty good history book, only it was a little short. I wish he would have talked more on Admiral Yi and the political climate of the time. However, it appears he wrote more extensively on such topics on other books.

I still give this book four starts because I felt it was worth the money. I also felt that it was a good overview of the war as a whole. I was impressed.

Let me end that I do like his style. It is very accessible to the novice historian, such as myself.
Lloyd Sabin
Grega
Sep 15, 2009
Manolows
Dec 11, 2014

• The Imjin War: Japan's Sixteenth-Century Invasion of Korea and Attempt to Conquer China
  • The Drive-In (A B-Movie with Blood and Popcorn, Made in Texas)
  • Revenger (Revenger, #1)
  • We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • Absalom: Under a False Flag
  • Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination
  • Dead Man Walking (DS Heckenburg, #4)
  • Spy Cat
  • Out of Body
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 19
  • Exalted on Bellatrix 1
  • Glorious Beasts
  • Federations
  • MISSIONARY MAN: Bad Moon Rising (MISSIONARY MAN)
  • The Russo-Japanese War 1904–1905
  • Kingdom Vol. 4: Alpha and Omega
  • Telemass Coda
  • Operation: Amazon (S-Squad #4)
Stephen Richard Turnbull is British a historian specializing in eastern military history, especially the samurai of Japan. His books are mainly on Japanese and Mongolian subjects. He attended Cambridge University where he gained his first degree. He currently holds an MA in Theology, MA in Military History and a PhD from the University of Leeds where he is currently a lecturer in Far Eastern Relig ...more

News & Interviews