Start by marking “Tiger Lily” as Want to Read:
Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  22,226 ratings  ·  4,504 reviews
Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair...

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell.

Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and
Published July 3rd 2012 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Tiger Lily, please sign up.
Lizzy It's not for children that's for sure. I think Y/A so 14 and up. It deals with a lot of heavier topics that kids may not be able to comprehend yet.

·  22,226 ratings  ·  4,504 reviews

Emily May
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Crowinator
Edit 04/04/2013: I read this almost a year ago now and it still haunts me in the best possible way. So I just wanted to share this song with you because it reminds me of this book so much.

.............................................................................

"Sometimes I think that maybe we are just stories. Like we may as well just be words on a page, because we're only what we've done and what we are going to do."

Everything about the appearance and description of this book it seems is
Wendy Darling
I DO NOT APPROVE OF THIS INTERPRETATION OF MY CHARACTER.

But character assassination aside, this was beautifully, intelligently written, and rather splendid in its savagery.
Katerina
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've ever heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win. In some places, there is something ultimately good about endings. In Neverland, that is not the case.”

My body is not enough to contain the largeness of Tiger Lily's beauty.
This is a book of fiction, but not like any I've ever read. It was enthralling in its simplicity, and I absorbed every sound, every rustle
Charlotte May
"To run and run and never worry - that was what they wanted, and I wanted to go with them."

Yes for awesome retellings! This book has been on my TBR for years and I had such high hopes. I got it from the library and once I started it I was immediately swept up in this immersive world.

Told from the perspective of Tinker Bell (I know, not what you'd expect from the title!) she follows Tiger Lily as she grows up in the Sky Eaters tribe. They look after one another, and she is the adopted daughter
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Once in a while you read a book that is different from all the others. It hooks itself into your heart and doesn’t let you go until you turn the last page. And when it is done, you realize that it has left a gaping hole inside of you.

For me, Tiger Lily was that book. I knew how it would end, thought I was prepared, but somehow I still wasn’t.

This novel is beautiful, charming and tragic all at the same time. The story was utterly captivating and the writing style so lovely that I feel like the
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)

Find me on Instagram & Twitter!

❝I could hear the quiet in Tiger Lily’s heart. I had never heard it so soft, so at peace, as I did that evening, as she sat with Peter and watched those horses, and dreamed for a moment that she would never have to lose him, or herself.❞

Rating: ★ ★ ★

Tiger Lily was my first Peter Pan retelling and although it wasn't as great as I was hoping it would be, I still enjoyed some parts here and there.

The pacing of the story was a bit on the slow side, and not muc
chloe ✨
Jan 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Wow what a disappointment.... I'll talk about it more in my wrap up but wow.
Lola
Mar 09, 2016 marked it as on-hold
Recommended to Lola by: Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

I’m unsure if I should berate myself or noisily laugh out loud, but I forgot to pick my lunchbox when leaving the metro… and TIGER LILY was inside it as well as an elegant bookmark that I very much enjoyed looking at.

I don’t know if I’ll ever get it back.

And I also don’t know if I’ll ever finish this book, but I read half of it and the half that I read was beautiful. The relationship between Tiger Lily and Peter Pan is slightly cheesy, you could say, but I never thought Thinker Bell would be su
Nastassja
“Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you’ve heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn’t win. In some places, there is something ultimately good about endings. In Neverland, that is not the case.”

This story turned out to be such a pleasant surprise for me! I must confess I am not a fan of Peter Pan, and all retellings I’ve read never left me with the feeling of satisfaction, on the contrary, I was always l
brain cell

interrogator: say it

me [tied to a chair]: i'm not saying shit

interrogator: *smacks me* say every peter pan movie remake, including the one disney made, is better than this book. SAY IT

me: *spits on their face* fuck you

Chelsea Humphrey
3.5 STARS. I really wanted to love this as much as the majority out there, and it was wholly entertaining with portions of compulsive narration, but I think my expectations were blown too far up by the hype surrounding this one. Props though, for a book to be this old and still have hype surrounding it-color me impressed! Full review to come.

Buddy read with Wren and Mary!
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Reread 07/17 : I really don't know why I did this to myself. Perhaps because it's beautiful? Sigh. So beautiful.

I've finished Tiger Lily 24 hours ago and spent the day reliving some parts and thinking about it, my heart fluttering and suddenly missing a beat when I let my mind drift into Neverland.

Here's is why.

The story is told in Tinker Bell's POV. Who's mute. Oh, and who can read your thoughts. I knew fairies were such dangerous creatures. Although some readers find it annoying, the rather d
Julianna Helms
**Thank you, THANK YOU, HarperTeen, for giving me this ARC. <3**

Actual, full review: Original is here on my blog.(Note: due to copy-and-paste, formatting and links have been lost. Except for one of them that I manually linked.)

starred review.

I devoured this book the way a starved man engulfs food.

Tiger Lily has this addictive quality to it, kind of like a drug. It's beautiful and sad and terrible and heartbreaking; it's merciless and benign and desperate and raw. It's feral: words that spill
Heidi The Reader
This book is an absolutely magical re-telling of the story of Tiger Lily from Peter Pan. The narrator is the fairy, Tinker Bell.

I've always had a soft place in my heart for J. M.Barrie's masterwork. Who among us hasn't wanted to go to a place where you could remain young forever and never grow up?

Jodi Lynn Anderson writes that "never aging" magic of Neverland quite well: "Englanders had come to Neverland before. ... The Englanders had the aging disease. As time went on they turned gray, and shra
Elena
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I CAN'T HANDLE THIS RIGHT NOW

_____________________________

''This is a love story, but not like any you've heard.''

Yup. Tinker Bell didn't lie at all!
Going into this book I knew that it will be a tragic story. I was prepared. But somehow I still wasn't.

Tiger Lily is a Peter Pan retelling, which focuses on Tiger Lily's and Peter Pan's love story. Also, it is written from Tinker Bell's point of view.
I mean: HOW COOL IS THAT?!

I have to warn you guys, if you haven't read the book and you intend to
Krys
Crowinator
**No spoilers for plot, though I've gone and discussed the tone of the ending, which might be considered a spoiler to some.**

"Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win. In some places, there is something ultimately good about endings. In Neverland, that is not the case."

This is the story of the thorny romance between Peter Pan and Tiger Lily, before and after t
Natalie Monroe

"Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent."

This little book is wise beyond its years.

I don't mean that it's edgy or tries to smash boxes like postmodern fiction. It is what it is, a retelling of Peter Pan. Namely, the story of Tiger Lily and Neverland before the arrival of Wendy Darling. It's wise because of the themes it weaves through the narrative. From the lovely writing to the criticis
Mimi Valentine
"Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've heard. The boy and girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win. In some places, there is something ultimately good about endings. In Neverland, that is not the case..." -Tinker Bell

I grew up loving Disney's version of Peter Pan, wishing I could move to Neverland and never grow old. But this book only makes me love it infinitely MORE!

This book is told, not from Tiger Lily's point of v
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

Alright. So I said I was going to review this book. I posted the infamous "RTC." but I am thinking honestly it might be a waste of time to do a full blown review in this case.

I liked this book, but here I am barely a week out & already it's fading from my memory in a big way.

I appreciate what was attempted here. A story about Tiger Lily's history with Peter Pan told through the eyes of Tinker Bell.

It didn't shy away from mixing in darker themes with the Neverland we
Simona Bartolotta
4.5 -speaking about half stars, uh, Goodreads?

"For three days, she kept on studying the horizon, even speaking to it, as if a ship that had already disappeared could hear her."Choose me."
And Peter did choose."

This is the story of a girl with crow feathers in her hair and too greedy a heart to be content with just the shreds of a love that could have been. This is the story of a creature so fierce that someone who loved her exactly as she was said once that he would rather die than see her tamed,
Julia
The only word that perfectly describes Tiger Lily is a Russian word toska.
“No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Before. This is the before. Before the infamous Wendy, there was Tiger Lily. This is her story.

3.5 stars. Expect the unexpected. This is not Peter Pan as you know it. This is Tiger Lily as seen through the eyes of Tinker Bell.

At first, I wasn't sure what to make of a story being told about one person while using the voice of another person (okay, little flying pixie bug thingamajig). It took me several chapters to warm up to the style of writing. I couldn't get past the fact that Tink was flyin
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
✪✪✪✪
Can retellings of classics be considered classics? BECAUSE THIS NEEDS TO BE. I would love to read this in English class, write argumentative and analytical essays about it, gosh I am such a nerd.

Keertana
4.5/5 Stars

If you’ve ever wanted to visit Neverland, all you’d have to do is pick up a copy of Tiger Lily and immerse yourself in the rich world of pirates, natives, faeries, and the lost boys that Anderson has created so vividly. In many ways, reading Tiger Lily is much like being sprinkled with faerie dust yourself – magical, unbelievable, and emotionally touching. I’ll admit that I only picked up this novel because of its beautiful cover – honestly, how do you resist that? – but I found
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it

This was a birthday gift from my lovely Simona! ♡

Tiger Lily is a brilliantly imagined alternative twist to the Peter Pan tale. The novel takes you on a dazzling journey of friendship, captivating first love, and to the pits of writhing jealousy and hollowing loneliness.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I realized this novel was going to be na
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
“Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you’ve ever heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn’t win.”

description

My heart is literally aching for Tiger Lily. This story will surely hunt me forever. Never thought this book will bring me to tears but it did. This is just too much.. too much :(

Tiger Lily is beautifully written, heartbreaking and romantic all at the same time. Some say that this book lack of passion. I think I
C.G. Drews
So, as you know, I’m still (after all this time, always ) in love with Peter Pan. NATURALLY I knew I’d love this book. IT’S ABOUT PETER BLESS HIM PAN after all. And also my friend Zoe @ Infinite Readsforced-me-by-knife-point-to-read-it-or-else (and she’s awesome, so why not?!).

Did I like it? Um, let me think about this…HECK YEAH.

Of course, as you’ll notice, it’s lacking a star…so let’s jump right in and talk about the luuuurves and the dislikes, shall we?

The Deliciousness I Adored

- TIGER
Hershey

What can I say about this book? I am staring at my laptop screen thinking of how to put the various jumbled thoughts of mine into comprehensible words.

Let me first tell you how I felt after reading Tiger Lily.
1) I wanted to go to Neverland.
2) I wanted to cuddle and treasure Tinker Bell.
3) I wanted to scream and cry and laugh at the s
Lauren
“Still, the longer I was around her, the more I could see the colors of her mind and the recesses of her heart. There was a beast in there. But there was also a girl who was afraid of being a beast, and who wondered if other people had beasts in their hearts too. There was strength, and there was also just the determination to look strong. She guarded herself like a secret.”

I'm speechless...I can't even comprehend it. Before you skip this review or look past it I want to say read this book. It
Tiger Lily Book Review 1 2 Jan 04, 2019 06:00AM
Book Review: Tiger Lily 2 12 Jan 20, 2018 03:41PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Tiger Lily 1 3 Oct 31, 2017 01:50PM
All Things YA: Retelling Books 1 6 Jun 12, 2017 05:09PM
2017, year of the...: Tiger Lily 1 6 Feb 15, 2017 07:41AM
  • Shadows on the Moon (The Moonlit Lands, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • The Girl with Borrowed Wings
  • Vessel
  • The Sweetest Spell
  • Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1; Books of Arilland #1)
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Icon of the Indecisive
  • Kill Me Softly (Beau Rivage, #1)
  • Strands of Bronze and Gold
  • So Close to You (So Close to You, #1)
  • The Brides of Rollrock Island
  • Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)
  • The Wicked and the Just
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Fathomless (Fairytale Retellings, #3)
I write strange and mythical stories about young people.
“Did you know I always thought you were braver than me? Did you ever guess that that was why I was so afraid? It wasn't that I only loved some of you. But I wondered if you could ever love more than some of me.

I knew I'd miss you. But the surprising thing is, you never leave me. I never forget a thing. Every kind of love, it seems, is the only one. It doesn't happen twice. And I never expected that you could have a broken heart and love with it too, so much that it doesn't seem broken at all. I know young people look at me and think my youth seems so far away, but it's all around me, and you're all around me. Tiger Lily, do you think magic exists if it can be explained? I can explain why I loved you, I can explain the theory of evolution that tells me why mermaids live in Neverland and nowhere else. But it still feels magic.

The lost boys all stood at our wedding. Does it seem odd to you that they could have stood at a wedding that wasn't yours and mine? It does to me. and I'm sorry for it, and for a lot, and I also wouldn't change it.

It is so quiet here. Even with all the trains and the streets and the people. It's nothing like the jungle. The boys have grown. Everything has grown. Do you think you will ever grow? I hope not. I like to think that even if I change and fade away, some other people won't.

I like to think that one day after I die, at least one small particle of me - of all the particles that will spread everywhere - will float all the way to Neverland, and be part of a flower or something like that, like that poet said, the one that your Tik Tok loved. I like to think that nothing's final, and that everyone gets to be together even when it looks like they don't, that it all works out even when all the evidence seems to say something else, that you and I are always young in the woods, and that I'll see you sometime again, even if it's not with any kind of eyes I know of or understand. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the way things go after all - that all things end happy. Even for you and Tik Tok. and for you and me.

Always,
Your Peter

P.S. Please give my love to Tink. She was always such a funny little bug.”
823 likes
“Sometimes I think that maybe we are just stories. Like we may as well just be words on a page, because we're only what we've done and what we are going to do.” 738 likes