Start by marking “The Punishment of Gaza” as Want to Read:
The Punishment of Gaza

The Punishment of Gaza

Israel’s 2009 invasion of Gaza was an act of aggression that killed over a thousand Palestinians and devastated the infrastructure of an already impoverished enclave. The Punishment of Gaza shows how the ground was prepared for the assault and documents its continuing effects.
From 2005—the year of Gaza’s “liberation”—through to 2009, Levy tracks the development of Israel p
Published May 17th 2010 by Verso

To ask other readers questions about The Punishment of Gaza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Punishment of Gaza

Start your review of The Punishment of Gaza
Amber
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Here lie their bodies, row upon row, some of them tiny. Our hearts have turned hard and our eyes have become dull. All of Israel has worn military fatigues, uniforms that are opaque and stained with blood and which enable us to carry out any crime. Even our leading intellectuals fail to speak out about the havoc we have wreaked.

People “in shock” exist only in Israel; no one has gone into shock in Gaza. “Children of the
south” live only in Sderot. Hamas fighters are “terrorists,” and “Hamas activ
Simon Wood
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
AN HONOURABLE ISRAELI

"The Punishment of Gaza" is a collection of forty shortish articles written by the brave and honourable Israeli journalist Gideon Levy. The focus of the articles is on the Israels continued aggression against the Gaza strip, despite having "withdrawn" in 2005, during the period from 2006 to summer 2009.

Levy tackles his subject in a wonderfully direct and principled manner, his anger is palpable and his scorn searing. It is hard to imagine a non-Israeli writing in this voice
Zillah
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book, although containing some pretty horrifying information, was actually a refreshment - an Israeli criticizing Israel's politics!! That's a new one, we have to admit..
Although I did rate it, more from the need to make people want to read it, you can't really rate how much you ''liked'' something so vivid, telling such a sad story of human suffering.. But my recommendations nonetheless!!
Tosh
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-bought
I can't really blame the author or this book, but I was expecting more. I was led up, or more likely I wanted to believe that this was a book by an Israeli writer who went to Gaza to report on the war and of course, Israel's occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. Mostly Gaza. But what this book is really about is how the author feels about the subject, and although he is knowledgable on Israeli politics and the world of Gaza, I'm just getting an editorial like opinions on that subject matter. The ...more
Devin
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I love Gideon Levy's columns in Haaretz, but I guess when confronted with 150 pages of his opinion as opposed to a snapshot of it in the newspaper, I'm more likely to adopt a more cynical/frustrated approach.

No extreme opinion is a good opinion (or at least that's what I think), especially in such a complicated conflict. Levy simplifies the situation far too much, as if almost expecting the reader to come in with an already solid - and even blind - opinion that Israel is wholly in the wrong.

Whi
Andre
Wow, this book was better than I thought it would be. And I can also say that if you are a staunch Israel defender, than this book is a pure nightmare, especially considered what is still true today. And there were several examples of that.
What the author wrote in 2008 about Europe and how it seems to let Israel get away with far too much and becomes more and more a puppet of the USA is still true today. The actually social parties won't even speak out about the committed crimes, no wonder the r
Mark Hebden
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
This book is a collection of articles written for the Haaretz newspaper by Gideon Levy during the period of 2007-2009, covering the “War” on Gaza. What startles most is how similar the period of the Gaza attacks are to the period prior to it. For Operation Cast Lead read Operation Summer Rain which killed many innocent Palestinians without the pretext of a “war” footing.

There are some personal and harrowing stories of people that my prose can’t do justice to. Aside from a documentation of atroci
Dovofthegalilee
On the plus side it could be said that such an author can only freely print such things in a society that allows freedom of speech. Levy brings up many good points and exposes serious flaws in Israeli military and government interaction in Gaza. On the downside is his unreal view of potential solutions. He represents a growing number of Israelis who think like him and it is delusional dreaming that Hamas who out right declares they will never acknowledge Israel can be negotiated with.
Tujan
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I cried and cried and cried,,, until I ran out of tears.
Why does the world has to be so cruel.
I sent Gideon a grateful message for his courage in being honest.
I am not here to rate the method of writing or the correct use of vocabulary...for me it's all an emotional matter,, a heartbreaking one
Angela
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The book is a series of articles by Gideon Levy. I found it interesting to read from an Israeli viewpoint within Israel against the occupation in Gaza. So many of the articles resonated with me about the world at large and the world leaders views on Israel.
Iselin Rønningsbakk
This book is a chilling read and documents the atrocities committed by Israel in Gaza from 2006-2009. I was a bit disappointed when I discovered it only contained republished Op-Eds though, and not a coherent story about what happened.
Parastoo
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
A collection of articles that might have been influential at the time they were published, but if one is looking for something to learn about the Israel/Palestine conflict, there is not much to learn from this book.
Benjamin Britton
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great commentary on Israel's illegal military aggression in Gaza up till 2009. ...more
Steven McCallum
Feb 26, 2018
Muh S
Nov 14, 2015
Marianne
rated it did not like it
Jul 10, 2015