Start by marking “Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls, Facsimile Edition” as Want to Read:
Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls, Facsimile Edition

Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls, Facsimile Edition

Betty Crocker's classic cookbook for children is back-in an authentic reproduction of the original 1957 edition

A whole generation of Baby Boomers grew up with Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls, and they have helped to make it the one of the most requested titles in the Betty Crocker archives. Now back by popular demand, this timeless favorite stands ready to
Published August 8th 2003 by Betty Crocker (first published January 1st 1957)

Be the first to ask a question about Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls, Facsimile Edition

Start your review of Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls, Facsimile Edition
Elizabeth
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is the reason I am obsessed with cooking today! As a kid I would spend hours pouring over the recipies, mezmerized by the pictures. I would beg my mom to let me cook all the cool things I would see, like the "Juciy Hamburgers" with the smiley faces on them or my fave "Ghost Cake with flaming eyes". By todays standards this book may come off as cheesey to some, but the everlasting memories it help build are beyond priceless. My mom recently found a copy at a yard sale and gave it to me ...more
Ann
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Happy, happy memories of cooking when I was growing up.
ALLEN
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Oh, my God, this reproduction cookbook is a trip down memory lane, and not always in a good way. I admit the cover drawing is charming, but delve inside this 1957 time-capsule (intended for boys and girls, mind you) and you'll find:

Some recipes that involve "Big G" products that no longer exist, like "Sugar Jets" cereal.

Some recipes that are just plain wack, such as the mock chocolate shake that involves a chocolate sauce made with the help of Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Frosting Mix (also
Patrick Henry
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is extremely fun. Lots of colorful, cute cartoon illustrations show children very simple recipes they can make to enjoy at home. I have made most of the recipes in here while growing up as a kid, and when I got older and moved out of my parents home, I had to buy my own copy because I was using my mothers originally! It has a lot of cute, vintage party ideas that you can do as an adult, and I love the way to dress up cereal bowls with fun characters!

If you don't know how to cook,
Shirley
Feb 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bakers
It's a facisimile of the original 1951 cookbook. Got it when I got a proper oven. Love the cute little illustrations of the 12 boys and girls who tried out all of the recipes. It's interesting how in those days, food photography was not an art yet. The photos are not delicious or glamourous. Everythng looks very high fat and the recipes use lots of butter, buttermilk, sugar, and eggs. But I liked the chocolate fudge cake. It turned out pretty nice.

It was quite innovative for its time because it
Kate
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who don't care what their food tastes like or looks like
Shelves: cookbooks
I am in no way wanting to endorse this as a cookbook. Many of the recipes appear unappetizing and use Bisquick as an ingredient to maddening amounts. Steer clear of the "Candle Salad" recipe which consists of half a banana set upright with a pineapple ring around the base and a maraschino cherry on top....well, let's just say there is an illustrated picture in case you are wondering about that....
Short quotes from the boy and girl taste testers are included to make your cooking experience more
Rhody Janke
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Heed my warning, for it is a sad fact: A book bought at a library "discard" sale & a mother's willingness to let her only daughter "experiment" willy-nilly in the kitchen leads down a dangerous path, my friends! I am a hopeless foodie & cookbook collector. There. I said it. And THIS, people, started it all! I blame THIS! To-this-day, 40 yrs. later, I'm still using the Mac & Cheese recipe! OMG, I even bought a reprint on Amazon! The book was originally published in 1957. Someone needs ...more
Shelly
I liked some of it. Kids cookbooks are never perfect due to weird food or cutesy food but, this had several decent recipes. I liked that the kids made comments/critiques of the recipes, it was neat. If I had to buy this again I would search for a hardback version. I don't like the spiral binding. it looks like it was done at home & not by pros. I think the comb they used was too small. Still, it was cheep. I got the matching kids microwave one from Betty too. In AZ you just need real ...more
Donna
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. A friend of my mother's got it for me when I was 4-5 years old & I STILL have it, almost 50 years later. One reviewer gave it 2 stars & said she couldn't endorse it as a cookbook. Well, what would you call it? It is a cookbook & is quite cheesy by today's standards but back before every Tom , Dick & Harry became a foodie it was perfectly fine for the young, learning cook. It still is. I'm not going to give my kids a Martha Stewart or Julia Child publication ...more
Monica Willyard Moen
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My brother and I grew up using recipes from this cookbook, baking things with our mom. I was so excited to see it in an updated print version. Our version is old and faded, with little flecks of flour and sugar on the pages. We grew up in the 70s, and I still make many of those recipes that I learned to make back then. I'm going to get a copy of this book for my daughter so she can share it's recipes with my grandsons.
Jensownzoo
May 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I got this book from my grandparents when I was nine years old, so it has nostalgic value, but I probably only have made one or two recipes from it in all the years that I've had it. The recipes are much too difficult for the average boy or girl. And really, the only thing truly "fun" about the recipes is that sometimes you arrange the garnish to form a smiley face or a dog or something. There are much better cookbooks out there for kids now.
Kitchengrrl
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Probably like many children, this was one of the first cookbooks I read, and it taught me some of the basics of cooking. I read my Aunt's ancient copy from the 50s when I was a child in the 80s and it's tatty pages are still on my shelf all these years later waiting for new little hands. Many of the recipes are not anything people nowadays would actually want to eat, but the photos and quotes from kids are great for vintage nostalgia.
Theresa
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I still have my original copy of this wonderful cookbook though it’s very worn out and falling apart from so much use. I even used it with my own kids. I’d use it more now if it wasn’t falling apart but the ideas are still in my mind.
The full color pages are mouthwatering.
Kat
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My grandmother bought me this cookbook when I was a child. I still use its trusty recipe for Macaroni & Cheese, which has been the basis of many cooking experiments- it's also how I learned to make a roux.
Liselotte
Cute little book, a book that isn't entirely "only girls cook and boys are above them", which you find in a lot of (cook)books of this kind. It's adorable and I love they added boys AND girls to this book, as usually it's all about girls learning how to cook.
Robert
Apr 06, 2012 added it
Shelves: own, cookbook, kitchen
This is another cookbook my mother used in my youth. Interestingly, the inside cover has my sister's name on it. There are hand-written notes from my mother slipped in here.

Obviously, this is a keeper.
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
my first cookbook ever! this is a vintage classic and the simple illustrations are cute. I don't know if I ever "made" anything from this and the recipes are quite dated, but it's a keeper for the nostalgia quotient.
Jodi
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook has been in the family for who knows how long.
Jennifer Choisser
Nov 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my Mom's first cookbook purchased for her by my Grandmother, and the first cookbook I was ever introdued to.
Mike Evans
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read with grandmother as a teen
bookczuk
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my mother in law's cookbook. It's stuffed with her notes and papers.

Packing away now as we declutter the house, preparing to put it on the market.
Christina
Jan 27, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: about-kids, cookbook
Grown-up sloppy joes.
Pam
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if this is the cookbook I had in the early 1970's...but it looks close. Some of the foods to make are downright freaky.
Meltha
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Cute, simple, and dang the chocolate cake is good.
Joanne Thomson
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
my first cookbook. I still have it, with notes I made on the various recipes. I loved this book. It still makes me happy to look through it.
Sharon
Well used & loved by my children
Mckinley
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, cooking, non-fiction
Fun. Great illustrations - a blast from the past.
Abraham Ray
great collection of recipes for children!
Dana
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the cookbook I learned to cook from and I just found a reprint. It's so dated yet very sweet!
Cate
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Oh man! What memories. I still make French Toast the way I learned from this book.

• The Harper Lee Collection: To Kill a Mockingbird + Go Set a Watchman (Dual Slipcased Edition)
  • Countdown to Go Set a Watchman: A Celebration of To Kill a Mockingbird, Sampler
  • Is the Internet Changing the Way You Think?: The Net's Impact on Our Minds and Future
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Wild Rose: The True Story of a Civil War Spy
  • Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook
  • Afro-Vegan: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean, and Southern Flavors Remixed
  • Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel
  • Grace for the Widow: A Journey through the Fog of Loss
  • Always Hungry?: Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells, and Lose Weight Permanently
  • The Joy of Cooking