Start by marking “The Cardio-Free Diet” as Want to Read:
The Cardio-Free Diet

The Cardio-Free Diet

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Are you constantly pounding away on the treadmill but never losing a pound? Does every step on the StairMaster become more and more painful? Are you tired of endless workouts that only make you want to eat more?

Cardiovascular workouts do burn a few calories, but far fewer than you think. And the more cardio you do, the hungrier you feel. Not only does cardio fail to help
Published April 10th 2007 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Cardio-Free Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cardio-Free Diet

Lance Willett
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Never step on a treadmill again..."

One of the better books I've read about combining diet and exercise for losing weight and keeping it off long-term. Practical tips combined with simple scientific and psychological principles.

Principles include things like: mindless exercise leads to forgettable results and mindless eating leads to memorable weight gain. Build lean muscles via strength training to boost your metabolism, a natural calorie burner. If you only do cardiovascular exercise you never
Nadine/Dina Bourne
Jul 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone tired of trying the old fashioned way
Recommended to Nadine/Dina by: saw it on the view
I like his idea that the way to loose weight is through building muscle. His idea of cardio making you hungry is dead on. the day after I use the treadmill all I want to do is eat. He says you don't have to be a bench head to build muscle but a weight bench is what I have, so it would have been nice to see exercises for the bench. my biggest gripe are the recipies. Everytime I read a weight loos book over half the food is something i wont eat. not one day in his extensive food plan had beef it w ...more
timmylange
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author presents a practical and logical argument for anyone wishing to lose weight. He highlights many key issues that usually discourage people from trying a "diet": lack of time, restricted foods, buying expensive equipment or gym membership, and age are to name a few. His basic premise is this: the best way to lose weight is to count your calories while participating in strength training to develop lean muscle. The book features 2 eight week exercise plans, 8 weeks of food recipes, shoppi ...more
Maverick
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a strong believer that high intenstiy cardio does cause overuse injuries and that you can not lose weight without counting calories. This is a very doable plan that everyone can follow. Most people get burned out too quickly by too much cardio and quite. It will show you how to achieve and maintain an ideal and healthy body that people of all ages can do to have a functioning body in aging years.
Kelley
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main focus of this book is on strength training and the importance of building muscle to maintain weight loss instead of doing cardio. Karas lays out all the reasons in a straight forward way that makes sense. The exercise he offers are effective and easy for beginners. My only complaint about this book is how restrictive his diet plan was based on other diet books I've read. I would give the book an A for the exercise portion and a D for the food portion.
Kristina
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it to be an interesting concept. I'm not interested in the diet plan he sets out as it's just calorie counting which I do, but I am implementing the exercise plan. I'm burnt out on cardio and although I do weight training, I'm going to take it to a new level with Mr. Karas plan.
Michael
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
This was a very interesting book with a flare for not doing cardio and still losing weight. I can visualize how this will work, however I really enjoy running and this book didn't like the fact I was going to do any more than 30 minutes of cardio.
Stephanie
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has truly changed my mindset on exercise. I slogged away hours running, spinning and doing the elliptical, now I'm heading to weights and yoga and a half hour of interval training (love running, not giving that up!). Looking forward to his next book coming out in December.
Marie
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting concept. I'm excited to try it out, if it works I will come back and change it to 5 stars. haha
Daphne
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was convinced to start weight training again. The workouts are great. The chapters on diet were dull; I only skimmed them.
Taylor Law
Interesting.....I don't know if I buy it, but interesting.....
Mike
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, 2012
This diet just makes sense. Calories in - count them. Calories out - build muscle to burn fat faster. Watch the protein (more).
Julie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, sports, health
I feel like I got a lot of good information out of this book. I hope to try some of the strength training exercises he includes in this book.
Laura Taylor