Start by marking “The Edge of Impropriety” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Impropriety

The Edge of Impropriety

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  246 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Break the sensual boundaries of Regency England with the bestselling author of The Slightest Provocation. The ribald private life of novelist Countess Marina Wyatt is the stuff of public scandal?and it doesn?t hurt the sale of her romances either. But she's totally unprepared for her consuming new affair with Jasper James Hedges, noted art appraiser and her former lover's ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by New American Library (first published October 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Impropriety, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Impropriety

Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hawt-sex
This was quite unlike anything I've ever read before, except perhaps, my last Pam Rosenthal, Almost a Gentleman' [which, memorably, contained a fisting scene [!!] that was somehow sexy and romantic and is also great and you should read it]. It is baffling to me that The Edge of Impropriety has such a low average rating on this site. It doesn't quite make five stars but it's a solid 4.5.

Rosenthal writes mature, adult, modern books, yet she does so in a style which somehow feels like classic Regen
Kathy
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Edge of Impropriety is the second book I've read by Pam Rosenthal though it was the fourth romance Ms. Rosenthal wrote. (Has she written any others since The Edge of Impropriety, I wonder?) I knew it was going to be an interesting reading experience to compare her debut novel, Almost A Gentleman, with one she wrote several years and a couple of books later because that first book, though disappointing in many respects and so satisfyingly edgy in other ways, demonstrated these tantalizing gli ...more
Jamie
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At this rate, I’ve underestimated how many romances out there were written for me. I thought Provocation was good; this one is better. It hits my buttons: the Greek mythology, the cheeky candor, the two mature people who know who they are and what they want and yet still learn and grow. It’s earthy and funny and I’ve been waiting to call a book “earthy” since I started this project. (There’s one scene in the middle that, holy smokes, might be the hottest I’ve read.)

The supporting cast of Helen
Ruth
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This year's RITA winner in the Historical Category. I can see why. Very different sort of romance--the kind you'd like to write, but couldn't get an editor to accept. Yet, Rosenthal did find a publisher of this tender story between a middle-aged novelist at the very end of the regency period and a bachelor antiquarian who has been raising his brother's two children.
Emily
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
FINALLY finished with this one.

I think I would have enjoyed this more if the author had spent more time on the sex and less time congratulating herself on her own cleverness. The writing is both self-conscious and smug; toward the end a minor character thinks (thinks!) the word "synecdoche", which is immediately followed by a brief definition, AND a disapproving reminder that an educated person would already know it. Urgh! There are frequent mentions of historical details so insignificant to the
Leila Hays
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: take-it
A bright brief affair between two seemingly incompatible people. A romance in the old-fashioned sense of the genre.

I found The Edge of Impropriety on a display of books that had never been checked out at my favorite library. I can't say why it languished on the shelf for five years, but I can say that it's a damn shame.

Perhaps the style of the prose is a bit much for your average reader. While the jacket blurb is written in the usual simple, catchy way of such things, the novel itself is written
Katherine 黄爱芬
Jasper seorg bangsawan penyuka seni, terutama patung tiba2 mendapatkan dirinya hrs menjadi ayah perwalian dari kedua ponakannya, Anthony (yg ternyata adalah anak gelapnya) dan Sidney, gadis cilik yang ditinggal mati oleh orangtua mereka karena kapal lautnya karam. Dan kemudian cerita berlanjut 11 tahun kemudian, Jasper pulang kampung utk menengok ponakan laki-lakinya itu yg sudah berubah menjadi adonis yg difavoritkan di seluruh London. Dan tanpa sengaja ia bertemu dgn alias Lady Gorham, sang no ...more
Jen
Don't see what the fuss is about with this book. It's occasionally witty and the protagonists are unconventional to be sure, but there's little else to recommend this, other than a well executed painting on the front cover. I could just barely complete it. It's not that steamy either, compared to other historical romances that are out there today.
Felicity
Dec 30, 2008 marked it as begun-but-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, but I didn't love the main character enough to finish it. The writing was great, and the approach to a romance novel refreshing. But after a bit I got irritated.

Maybe it was just my post-holiday blahs.
June
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, adult, victorian
I'm too much of a prude for this one. I did finish it but too kinky for me. Took me out of the story.
Jane Stewart
1 stars. The story dragged. Not enough dialogue. The reason? Throughout the book, most scenes were told and not shown.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
The writing style is “telling not showing.” Because of this, it was unpleasant. I was not drawn into the story. I felt like something was missing. The plot and events in “outline form” were interesting. The characters were interesting. But I didn’t get to experience anything because of the writing style. It was not emotionally engaging.

There wasn’t enough dia
Liz B
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite a five-star romance, because the chemistry between the couple was good but not great. I loved the characters (and characterization)--and while normally I don't care that much about setting, I found that this book made Regency England feel very real.

The heroine is a novelist; the hero a specialist in Greek antiquities who is raising his dead brother's children. They both live on the edge of society for different reasons. Both are frank and open about their desire for an affair, which ma
Manda Collins
I'm trying to catch up on the 2009 RITA nominees. This was one of two in the historical category that I hadn't read yet. And WOW! I've enjoyed Pam Rosenthal books before, in particular Almost a Gentleman. But The Edge of Impropriety is her best yet, I think.

The hero and heroine are first and foremost grown-ups. I can't think of a historical I've read with a 37 year old heroine. And Marina has certainly done some living in those 37 years. And Jasper even has graying hair! Horrors! I thought his
Raiya
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Novel percintaan dengan latar belakang Inggris awal abad ke-19 ini menghadirkan suasana hangat dengan beberapa tokoh utama yang memiliki karakter yang sangat berlainan. Novel ini bercerita tentang seorang janda bangsawan cantik (Sang Countess), bekas istri simpanan yang sangat suka berganti-ganti pasangan dengan para pemuda bangsawan tampan sejak ditinggal mati suaminya. Ia kemudian berusaha menghidupi dirinya dengan menjadi penulis buku-buku roman. Dalam perjalanannya ia bertemu dengan seorang ...more
Nstob
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very light summer read - story of Lady in London 1830's with a secret past but a current social diva that writes the latest and greatest novels inspired by the ton she is a part of. Shed ends up falling in love with the hottest young buck in towns uncle (who is really his father, the boy just doesn't know it.) The uncle is a 2nd son, now in charge of raising the young man and his young sister. He is a scholar of Greek sculpture and outdated, but somehow worldly when it comes to sex...Indiana Jon ...more
T'Lar Jones
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I grew up on Heyers and old Harlequins, I've largely lost interest in romance novels (of the het variety, that is) the past few years. Even the well-written ones have left me feeling pretty bored. Which is a little depressing when you practically cut your eyeteeth on the things. I missed enjoying romance novels. I wanted to like them; I just...didn't.

Still, I kept trying, and it did indeed pay off with The Edge of Impropriety. What a delightful, joyous read! Where other novels have s
Victoria Pond
I almost finished this novel, but then got distracted by other things...like editing work and reading CryoBurn (which isn't erotic at all, but contains such emotion).

I think I had the most trouble with The Edge of Impropriety because I cared so little about the characters. Our heroes were okay and all, but the secondary romance's female half only had two modes: stodgy and whiny (even when she finally got what she wanted). I'd have loved more about the cast of minor characters...even the guy who
D. Biswas
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved that it is so well written (I find so many romances aren't), and then it has these characters from different walks of life, not the main characters but the supporting cast, with their own walks of life, which allows Rosenthal to reinforce her Regency setting with bits and pieces of reality. I love their voices, the perspectives they bring to the historical setting and how well they fit in with the main structure of the novel, without compromising on its genre, which remains, firmly, hist ...more
Belle Augusta
3.5 stars!
Hmm, coba kuingat-ingat lagi...
Oh well, ceritanya sendiri cukup menarik, tentang sepasang kekasih rahasia yang menghadapi dua kehidupan; kehidupan pribadi dan kehidupan mereka. Mereka berdua harus menyelesaikan masalah--ancaman yang datang agar mereka dapat bersama.
Yah walau nggak begitu juga sih. Mereka menyelesaikan masalah mereka sendiri-sendiri lalu baru saja menyadari bahwa mereka ingin bersama.
Well satu hal yang ingin kukoreksi adalah sinopsis cerita yang ada di sampul belakang n
Erin
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I really like Pam Rosenthal--she puts some great twists on the erotic romance genre that's very cool to read. It's steamy, but she doesn't ignore the character development. I was particularly engaged by Jasper, the middle-aged stuffy academic who's passionate and besotted with Marina (a romance writer of London's high society, which was kind of a fun character beat) and while I knew their affair wasn't going to be temporary (come on, this is a romance novel after all!), I completely bought that ...more
Patty
This was the right book at the right time. I spent two days sicker than I want to think about. So sick, I could not read. Then finally, my brain was starting to clear. I still did not want to actually think. So romance to the rescue.

Rosenthal had everything I want in a romance. Fun storyline, beautiful characters, sex (in my opinion this was erotic) and even humor. I spent a day immersed in a world where everything will work out - the bad guys lose and the good folks fall in love.

Lori McD
This book surprised me... it's so much better than it seems, even from the back cover description. It took me a bit to get into it, and then I was totally hooked!

Marina and Jasper are... magnificent! I really think of them now as one of my all-time favorite couples. Their rendezvous are priceless and unpredictable. I'm amazed at how the author can mix passion, sensuality, and then raw, vulgar sex together and still come out with a story that's less about the vulgar and more about the passion, th
Wicked Incognito Now
Well, I don't suppose I'm going to finish this. I stopped reading it a few weeks ago, and I feel no compulsion to finish it.

The writing is beautifully done, but I think the story suffers for it. The story is lost in all the beautiful descriptions of feelings and images. I was reading along, entranced by the beautiful language, and eventually realized I didn't quite care for the characters and had no interest in where they were going. It might be because they began a relationship (sexually) very
Abby
This somehow got recommended to me as a great erotic romance novel. It was about as far from an erotic romance as one of those new "bonnet buster" Amish romances are from Anais Nin. I didn't know that one anal sex scene and a few uses of the f-word and the c-word make something "erotic". Lame salad. The romance was great: hero and heroine are both much older and their "coming together" (har har) was as interesting as it was real.

A great light romance, but definitely NOT erotica. Don't be fooled
Lelyana
Apr 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Agak menjijik kan baca s*x scene nya ya [image error]...kok frontal banget nyeritain (buat aku sih ini penyimpangan) an*l s*x weeeckkk [image error]

As RITA winner... I don't like it...mikir apa sih juri nya waktu milih buku ini [image error]
Missy
Mar 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I wanted to like this a lot more than I ended up doing. I didn't dislike it--I just finished it and thought that's all? I very much liked the protagonists--both of whom were older and with the accomplishments and regrets of lives lived; I liked the supporting characters, but in the end, it just didn't quite add up. It felt sketched-in in many places and I honestly could have sacrificed the sex scenes for more about the characters.
Olivia Tanjung
Awalnya beli neh buku berkat komporan si Merlin yang katanya super hot.. huahaha.
awalnya bener2 boring, hoahmm......
setelah beberapa chapter lewat, dan setelah Marina bertemu dengan si James, hmmph> Makin seru, mata makin melek.. fufuuf.. dan yang pasti , olalalalala.. hmmph!!!

tapi kisah cinta nya kok ribet bener, ternyata oh ternyata, James dengan salah satu cowok yang pernah berhubungan dengan si marina ternyata...... dan ternyata si cowok itu ..... :/
Jacqui
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 4th Rosenthal book. I like her style of writing and I felt that she did a decent job, but it's not one my favs from her. I say that because I had a hard time "fleshing out" -for lack of better word - her main male character Jasper. Granted she penned him as semi-recluse in the sense of his chosen profession existing in a world of gossip and galas; he just did not come alive for me in this book.
Stephanie
It was mildly amusing, and served its purpose as being brain-candy. I'm not really a huge fan of regency-era novels one way or the other, but the characters were a bit unconventional in being somewhat older, more eccentric, and more independent. The end outcome was actually quite modern in some ways. Honestly, that's really all I have to say about it - it's just not my cup of tea, but I didn't dislike it.
Tanya
Mar 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times I felt like is was written only to give the author the freedom to write about sex. At times I felt it was slightly wordy.

Essentially, the book is about a man named jasper who gets custody of his niece and nephew after their parents were in a boating accident. Later this man falls in love with a Lady Gorham who is an author. The unlikely pair seem to dance in circles throughout this book only to come to a predictable ending.
  • Dance (de Saint Vallier Brothers, #2)
  • Untamed
  • The Dangerous Viscount (The Burgundy Club, #2)
  • A Lily Among Thorns
  • No True Gentleman (Rutledge Family, #2)
  • Beau Crusoe
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #2)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Wicked Wyckerly (Rebellious Sons, #1)
  • Miss Molly Robbins Designs a Seduction (Sydney Dovedale, #4)
  • Forbidden (The Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Dedication
  • The Dangerous Duke (Series, #2)
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • With Seduction in Mind (Girl Bachelors, #4)
  • A Most Unconventional Match (Wellingfords, #3)
  • Touched by Fire
Pam Rosenthal also writes erotic fiction under the pseudonym Molly Weatherfield.
More about Pam Rosenthal...