Start by marking “Orphan of Destiny (The Youngest Templar, #3)” as Want to Read:
Orphan of Destiny (The Youngest Templar, #3)

Orphan of Destiny

(The Youngest Templar #3)

Tristan and his companions-the fiery archer Robard Hode and the assassin maid Maryam-have escaped to England. But tragedy has occurred to Tristan's beloved abbey while they were on the Third Crusade, and Robard's home in Sherwood Forest suffers under the rule of the Sheriff of Nottingham. Many obstacles still prevent them from delivering the Holy Grail into safe hands. ...more
Published October 28th 2010 by Putnam Juvenile/G.P. Putnam's Sons/Penguin Young Readers Group (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Orphan of Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orphan of Destiny

Start your review of Orphan of Destiny (The Youngest Templar, #3)
Kara
May 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Lanie
Wow. I am seriously impressed by just how much I have enjoyed "orphan of destiny" It was a vast improvement over the mess of the first two books, despite the "big reveal" that I totally saw from book 1. ;)

No. The mediocre writing hasn't suddenly gotten better. Tristan didn't suddenly stop being a Marty Stew & become a character I genuinely like. & we still don't know shit about Maryam's backstory.

BUT!

BUT!

The part were Tristan finally came home to the Abby was so SAD! Not ashamed to
Tessa Joy
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Even though Tristan and his friends escaped Sir Hugh in France, it seems that every stop they make in England was ravaged by Sir Hugh and his men, including the total destruction of St. Alban's monks and monastery. Tristan knows he must eventually face Sir Hugh. And when Tristan's band arrives at the intended monastery in Scotland, Sir Hugh and his forces are waiting for them. Tristan must rely on his courage, his determination, and his friends to help him finally complete his quest of ...more
Yoleny Montiel-diaz
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not the ending I was expecting...but it was ok. This book was more emotional. I found myself crying a few times. Again...details are so realistic I felt as if I were watching a movie.
Anthony Nguyen
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was great, I love reading it. While reading about Tristan and his exciting adventure with his pals on a warm and suspenseful tale, I was on the edge of my seat every single chapter. The cliffhangers urged me to read more and more, and so I did. The tale of Tristan and the bond with his friends is so warming.
Audra Pelham
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great wrap to the series!

This was a great trilogy filled with adventure. Not just a great read for kids but adults alike. Highly recommended!
C.R. Stewart
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One will never see Maid Marian the same again! Loved!
Joyce
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Juvenile Series! We need a book 4
Mark Buxton
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
My name is Robard, and I didn't think it was possible for Tristan, Maryam, and I to anger so many people. I've lost count of the number of different soldiers trying to kill us. I know there's more to Tristan's quest than simply delivering a message, but I've promised to accompany him to the end. Sir Hugh and the Templars are after him, the King's Guards are after him, and now I've insulted and embarrassed Shire Reeve, the wicked cur stealing property from the citizens of Nottingham. I'm honored ...more
Alexia561
Even though this is the third book in the series, I had no trouble keeping track of everything and never felt lost. While I enjoy watching series characters grow and joining them on their adventures, I'm impressed when an author is able to have a series book stand on it's own. I've lost track of how many times I've picked up a book and had no idea what was going on because I didn't know that it was part of a series.

The main character is Tristan, a squire who's on a quest for his lord knight.
Justin
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

So the last of this trilogy made up for some of the issues I had with the previous two books. It had an actual ending even though it did not tie up all of the endings, unlike the cliff hangers of the previous two books. From what I can gather, Michael P. Spradlin will be writing a fourth novel set in the Youngest Templar. There is short story that is supposed to be the introduction to it, Youngest Templar: Robard's Revenge Part 1. I will be interested in seeing how that
Josh
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Medieval Literature
This final book in the trilogy of Tristan, the young squire to a Templar Knight, takes an interesting turn. Tristan somewhat gets sidelined in his story, so another character can take center stage in what becomes an origin story for Robin Hood. Tristan's friend and traveling companion, Robard Hode, finally makes it home to Sherwood Forest. Along the way, Robard, Tristan, and their final traveling mate, Maryam, who I assume becomes Maid Marian, pick up new companions who all become members of ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Tristan and his companions, Robard and Maryam, have finally made their way back to England. They managed to escape capture from Sir Hugh. However, Tristan became injured during the escape. Now, he's trying to heal as they travel North to deliver the package to Rosslyn.

As they continue on their way, they encounter old friends, make new ones, learn of death and destruction of loved ones, and attempt to hide their tracks from old and new enemies.

They
Brady Buchholz
Orphan of Destiny: The Youngest Templar Trilogy

By: Michael P. Spradlin

The third and final book of The Youngest Templar Trilogy was a great finally to the series. It includes almost nonstop suspense and has a satisfying conclusion. This book is for anyone ten to thirteen.
This book takes place near the end of Tristan’s journey. Tristan is the squire to a template in the Holy Crusades, he was tasked by his knight to deliver the Holy Grail to a priest in Scotland when the city their regimen was in
Ms. Yingling
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Tristan is back. He, along with Robard and Maryam, needs to get the grail to a safe place, but Sir Hugh is hot on his trail and killing as many of Tristan's cohorts as possible. To make matters worse, Tristan has angered Eleanor of Aquitaine, who tells him he will never take the throne, which gives him a pretty good idea of the secret that everyone has been hiding from him. Even when all of the obstacles are overcome, the grail is safe and things are quiet, I think that this may continue, ...more
Cinnapatty
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally! I read the third and final book in this exciting trilogy. The library here didn't have the third book until recently. It had been some time since I'd read the first two, but everything came back to mind and the book picked up right where it had left off (which, by the way, was a cliff hanger for sure!). I really enjoyed these books. Action, wit, humor, tiny bit of romance, honor, loyalty, friendship and of course fighting, blood shed, evil, bad guys, deceit, cunning, revenge. If these ...more
Johnp
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is the final part of the Michael Spradlin's trilogy about the Knights Templar and the quest of young Tristan to save the Holy Grail (the real one!) This installment picks up exactly where the second ended, with Marian about to be hung. It's a great beginning that gets your blood pumping. There are some slow spots (like the VERY long section where everyone goes back to Robard's hometown and has to confront an evil Sherrif. Of course, they do it in A-Team style, which was cute, but could have ...more
Heather
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series...it had good action, characters I enjoyed, villains I hated, twisting plots, some historical fiction (heavy on the fiction!)...it was just a lot of fun. There are 3 books in the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if the author writes another one. It was left open enough that the story could continue. Was this amazing writing, maybe not, but I enjoyed the storyline and felt caught up in the adventure! I might change a few things about the ending, but I can't ...more
Elizabeth
The action picks up right where The Youngest Templar: Trail of Fate leaves off. Tristan, Robard, and Maryam are traveling to England and then Scotland to return the Holy Grail to a safe place. This book introduces a host of familiar Robin Hood characters, and finds the trio traveling to Robard's home in Sherwood forest. Full of action and adventure the final chapter in Tristan's quest does not disappoint.
Tanya Parish
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Youngest Templar

Books 1,2and 3 of this story about the Knights Templars are books that anyone interested in their history should read. It is a story of trial and tribulations that the Templars faced during their time when they were at the peak of their history. It doesn't matter that the books might have been written for young adults, they are a delight for all people. I would highly recommend these these books to anyone who likes to read.
Cecilia Rodriguez
The story is set in 1191 and starts out in Calais, France. Tristan and his companions cross the Channel and make their way through the English countryside on their way to Scotland.
In the final leg of Tristan's quest, the legend of Robin Hood is born.
There is also the satisfying anticipated final confrontation between Sir Hugh and Tristan.
This book wraps up the series, as is a good conclusion to a well written historical fantasy.
Kate
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot more than the second. I finally figured out the whole Robin Hood thing, I read a review saying that about the first book and I was like 'What?!' Now, I get it! Enjoyable, but for me the end was not completely satisfying. Still, it's hard to stop reading Spradlin's novels.
Angie
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked it. Lots of great action.

Is it perfect? No. I got tired of the way Robard and Maryam always look to Tristan to answer any question. And the pacing doesn't seen quite even (the resolution seems very quick compared to the rest of the series).

But I would totally still recommend this book/series to any fan of adventure or fantasy. It's the grand hero cycle.
Emma Parker
No offense meant to Michael P. Spradlin, but his writing has not improved much since his first book. While engaging as a "mind gum" book, the plot is rather predictable and he repeats himself (in one of the last chapters Tristan screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" about fifty-thousand times). But one thing I do like about this series is the religious themes.
Adrienne
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't love it, but it was good and I can easily recommend it to others, particularly teen or tween guys who want some adventure. I like all of the supporting characters more than I like Tristan, but that could be because I'm a big Robin Hood fan, so the characters I'm already familiar with steal the show a little bit and I cared more about their situations than Tristan's.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
The story begins in 1191, Calais, France and moves through the English country side on the way to Scotland.
In the final leg of Tristan's quest, the legend of Robin Hood is born. There is also the expected final confrontation between Tristan and Sir Hugh.
A very good conclusion to a well written historical fantasy.
Stephanie Coy
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
My girls and I just finished reading this trilogy together. It was quite delightful! Young Tristan, brought up by monks in 12th century England, is set on a mission to discover not only his true identity but to deliver a most prized and sacred artifact. He meets friends and enemies alike along the way.
Laura Smith
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The last in a young adult trilogy focusing on one squire's mission to protect the Holy Grail. Great portrayals of Robin Hood and his Merry Men prior to their time in Sherwood Forest. Plenty of adventure sprinkled with lore of the Knights Templar, King Richard, a little subtle romance and of course the Holy Grail.
Diane Greiner
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great trilogy. I would definitely recommend it. There is definitely more to the story and could continue on, either directly with this main story or through another series. It has that potential, but is complete in its own rite.
foo4luv
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Will the last book in the Youngest Templar series see the holy grail safely to Roslin? Or will evil Sir Hugh finally get his grubby hands on it?

It's worth reading to the finish. My daughter and I both enjoyed the entire series.
Robard Hode 1 1 Apr 07, 2015 06:01PM

• Wink Poppy Midnight
  • The Sorcerer Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #5)
  • La Biblia de los Caídos. Tomo 0 (La Biblia de los Caídos #1)
  • The Fight to Survive (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #1)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • The Zodiac Legacy: Convergence (Zodiac Legacy, #1)
  • Stranger Than Fanfiction
  • Black Bird of the Gallows (Black Birds of the Gallows, #1)
  • 11 Birthdays (Willow Falls, #1)
  • The Last Present (Willow Falls, #4)
  • Graceful (Willow Falls, #5)
  • The Third Twin
  • Finally (Willow Falls, #2)
  • 13 Gifts (Willow Falls, #3)
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)
  • The Islands of the Blessed (Sea of Trolls, #3)
  • The Land of the Silver Apples (Sea of Trolls, #2)
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
Michael P. Spradlin is the author of more than a dozen books for children.

The Youngest Templar (3 books)
  • Keeper of the Grail (The Youngest Templar, #1)
  • Trail of Fate (The Youngest Templar, #2)