Start by marking “Wolf Tower” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Wolf Tower

Tanith Lee

Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  10,223 Ratings  ·  275 Reviews
A new teen fantasy series begins with this story that sweeps readers into an epic adventure while probing truths of adolescence. Claidi is a 16-year-old orphan, forced to serve as a handmaiden to a cruel, royal family in the oppressive House. Outspoken and ready for romance, she becomes embroiled in a plot to rescue a handsome, intriguing prisoner.
Published October 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published November 11th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Tower, please sign up.

Bee Wolf Star was always my favorite when I was younger. I read that one more than anything else. I'm re-reading them now as an adult, though, and I'm…moreWolf Star was always my favorite when I was younger. I read that one more than anything else. I'm re-reading them now as an adult, though, and I'm interested to see if my answer will change. (less)
Kat Niss I love this question, because I've wondered about this too! I've always imagined it to be a fantasy world with a similar geography and climate as the…moreI love this question, because I've wondered about this too! I've always imagined it to be a fantasy world with a similar geography and climate as the Middle East.(less)

meredith
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread 08/15/16. If I ever stop rereading this series, my soul has died. I love my Claidi-baa-baa.

---------

The Claidi Journals follows the life of Claidi, a servant living a harsh life in a house catering to the nobles. She doesn't know what life lies beyond this House, other than a desert that the nobles say is filled with death. But one day, Claidi gets a chance to find out for herself what really is out there. And she takes it. This is where her journal begins.

My absolute favorite thing abou
Deborah O'Carroll
I’m a trifle mixed on this book… But on the whole, it was an enjoyable, unique fantasy adventure.

It’s the journal of the heroine, Claidi, and one of its high points is the conversational and often quite funny tone of the narrative. I really loved that!

Because of the journal setup, we get a very limited outlook on what’s going on, which makes for an interesting read. Claidi herself was an odd combination of feisty/daring and yet oddly naive about a lot of things. She starts out as a servant at a
Kat Williams
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
I cannot precisely recall when I first read this book. I was probably around 13 or 14 years old. I've been going through my bookshelves lately and re-reading old favorites. I hadn't picked up the Claidi Journals in years, but reading it again was like snuggling up with a warm blanket. The books are written in journal form from Claidi and you (the reader) are her trusted confidante. A very fresh take on YA Fantasy, you run along with Claidi's adventures from her great escape from The House to her ...more
MJ
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults/teens, extremly mild dystopia/romance fans
I enjoyed this book immensely when I was younger, and for a while after but, as an adult, (and not having read it for years) I’m not sure how much enjoyment I would get out of it these days. I believe I would still enjoy it, but just not as much as when I was still young. It was written for young adults, and therefore (probably) best enjoyed by them.

That being said…

I liked the way it was told through diary entries. I’ve noticed that this doesn’t always work in books, as sometimes the writing see
Elevetha
I read this years ago but this is what I remember.

This book, while there was definitely nothing wrong with it, just never grabbed my interest.

I was fairly bored with everyone and everything that went on.

Even though it was set up as a diary, which usually annoys me, this one was well done so I didn't really mind.

I liked Claidi to a point. At times she would have a funny quip or a good moment but I never really cared.

The romance was just...there? They could end up together or they could not. I did
Ahmad Sharabiani
Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals #1), Tanith Lee
Sandy
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I first picked it up because of the beautiful cover and then I loved the idea of a girl in a poor position escaping from the horrible place to be free and travel. But don't worry this is not a poor Cinderella who was rescued by a prince and lives happily ever after. No this is story is filled with adventure, surprises, betrayal and true love. In fact this isn't a Cinderella story at all but a world filled with wonder and magic :).
Veronika Turner
I was at the library a week ago and I saw this book, remembering that I had read a it couple years back, and decided to give it a try once again.

SPOILER ALERT, READ ON AT YOUR OWN RISK o.o

I like the beginning, and how the author beautifully describes Nemian, the Prince who changes Claidi's seemingly doomed life and whisks her away on an adventure that would change her life forever. "...his hair looked like golden flames itself..he had a gleam to him...life had polished the man. Being alive. L
Chelsie
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Alice in Wonderland
Shelves: fantasy
Jessica
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
I know I read this book in about 2005, because I remember discovering this whole trilogy by Tanith Lee, author of my beloved BLACK UNICORN, while I was strolling my firstborn around the library. But what I remember stops there. I liked the look of the book, but I never read any of the others because . . . meh. I don't even remember anything about this book. I think it was . . . fine? I didn't hate it. But I felt no impetus to continue the series, and now I can't remember anything that happened e ...more
Ashley
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading these books, so to me they're kinda like a comforting old stuffed animal I revisit when I need something warm and nostalgic. Claidi, the main character, is fantastic - my favorite thing about her is that she could be described as "not like other girls," but she's never called that, and it never felt forced or superficial to me. She just felt like a very real, scared, sarcastic, funny person trying to figure out the world. Of course I'm totally biased because, as I said, I grew ...more
Erin
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book quite a bit. The journal style gives the story personality and feeling, as you go on this crazy adventure with Claidi. Only book 1 and I'm already wishing her a happy ending. Very easy, enjoyable read.
(Argul fo' LIFE)
Josie
Mar 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-stars
Claidi is the funniest, most adorable heroine I've ever met. (Well, read about.) I love this series to pieces, but this book is my favourite because there's actually a happy ending.
Starlight_miss
Loved this series! Her adventure through the four books is unique and intriguing.
Natalie
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*check marks another book off my huge tbr pile, courtesy of too many library book sales*

Well. This was....different.
This book is really hard to describe. The writing style was very unique and fun. It's written as a diary, but I actually enjoyed it because it was so relaxed and felt like a real journal. Things this (!!) and (??) would be inserted throughout the text, along with questions and other such ramblings. It was fun. :) And I love the description. So many odd expressions were used for des
Bella
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairytales
I am 13 years old and I love reading fantasy/adventure books. The Claidi Journals are both. I really enjoyed this series!

It takes a couple chapters to get hooked, but then it gets very interesting and takes unexpected turns.

Claidi is fun, adventurous and has a good sense of humor. You really get a feel for what she would be like if you met her. Claidi travels throughout the "waste" finding new towns and towers, and meeting new people, while keeping a journal that she writes in regularly, inform
Samantha Jones
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to write this review for the entire series instead of writing a review for each one. This series will always be so close to my heart. I don't remember how or where I discovered it when I was younger (early teens probably) but I loved this series so much, I read the entire thing again not long after first reading it. Being so young it was my first taste of the Dystopian novel, and I was fascinated. Looking back, I am still awed by what an impact these books made in my life and in my ow ...more
Maureen E
Wolf Tower
by Tanith Lee

I enjoyed this book when I read it—it got a little star in my book notebook which is the equivalent of about a four star rating—but now that I’m thinking about it later, I’m realizing that this was essentially an apathy rating. I wasn’t blown away by it but it was solidly good. There were a few quibbles I had.

First, Claidi’s voice seemed a little unsettled to me, like the author wasn’t quite sure how old she was or how old the readers were. Sometimes it seemed very young a
Mackenzie
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claidi,a maid at the house, is swept away when she sees a young man crash in a hot air balloon, but no one could suspect the trouble hed bring. When the Great Princess who is extreamely old calls her and tells her she is a princess, she con barely believe her ears, and when she is told she will accompany the man in the hot air balloon to a place that her mother could be she accepts.Along the way they face many challenges, and when they met a bandit named Agural, there seams to be a connection, b ...more
Isana
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm kind of sitting here like, what really was it about this book. The story was pretty interesting, but it was just beyond the type of believable that makes good fantasy, even YA. I liked Claidi and the rest of the characters, but her problems never seemed life threatening enough. I mean, we have some obvious betrayal and a kind of out of the blue romance, since the second wasn't set up all that well in my opinion, even if it was really, glaringly obvious. Maybe the obviousness of everything wa ...more
Anne Osterlund
Claidi is trapped. Her life--as the maid of a selfish daughter of a selfish lady in the sealed community of the Garden--promises nothing but looming punishment and eternal drudgery.

Until He arrives. When a balloon is shot down over the garden, the balloonist--a young man named Nemian--is taken prisoner. How dare he enter the Garden’s sacred space! His future appears likely to be short-lived.

Unless Claidi helps him escape.

Wolf Tower is a fast-paced initial installment in a fantasy series by Tanit
Becky
Cute story, but obviously meant for a younger audience. Something I would have loved when I was eleven. It was still interesting, good pacing, solid plot, and the characterization wasn't half bad either. It's one of those books where I don't think stars are fair because it was a good story and the younger generation would probably really enjoy it but it wasn't exactly for me. I don't want to bring the star rating down because it wasn't to my personal preference.

Oh well, hopefully a lot of peopl
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would suggest this book to all who liked Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. Its writen in a type of dairy form and is exciting with every turn of the page. It is a little hard to get hooked at the beginning though, you just have to wait until around the 2nd chapter for it to start getting really interesting. Its well worth your time and patience though, Trust me!
Nellie225
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good and that it's about a girl named Claidi who have this journal with her all the times and that she help this person name Nemain escape.
Janice
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a hero. Ah....
Athena Madison
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was indeed very good and i am excited to read the second in the series
Sabrina
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good book. It was totally different from any book I've ever read . . . in a good way.
Morgan
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claidi's crush on Nemian really got on my nerves, but other than that I enjoyed it. Very...different. I find it interesting how journal style writing can get away with telling instead of showing.
Christine
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. When I first read it, I could feel every twinge of emotion and every thought of her's was my own. I loved this book!
  • Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood
  • The Singer of All Songs (The Chanters of Tremaris, #1)
  • The Seer and the Sword (Healer and Seer, #1)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • Exploring Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
  • The Hollow Kingdom (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #1)
  • The Song of the Lioness Quartet (Song of the Lioness, #1-4)
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • Hero's Song (The Songs of Eirren, #1)
  • The Seventh Tower (The Seventh Tower omnibus, #4-6)
  • Sign of the Dove
  • New Moon (Oran, #1)
  • The Decoy Princess (Princess, #1)
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Summers at Castle Auburn
  • Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1)
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...

Claidi Journals (4 books)
  • Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3)
  • Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“If you run away from trouble, it always follows.'
Rather my impression, too. Though that never stopped me trying.”
21 likes