Start by marking “Maskotka: Nazistowski sekret mojego żydowskiego ojca” as Want to Read:
Maskotka: Nazistowski sekret mojego żydowskiego ojca

Maskotka: Nazistowski sekret mojego żydowskiego ojca

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  2,247 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
Niezwykła, przerażająca historia życia ojca spisana przez jego syna.Wstrząsająca opowieść przywołująca z mroków upiory przeszłości.Brutalna prawda o cenie, jaka gotowi jesteśmy zapłacić za życie.
Co jesteś w stanie zrobić by uniknąć śmierci?
Alex Kurzem od wielu lat mieszka w Australii. Wtopił się w tutejszą społeczność, a jego pochodzenie zdradza tylko lekki europejski akce
Published June 2008 by Replika (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Maskotka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maskotka

Shrina
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shrina by: Lisa Durst
This is an amazing story about a 5 year old Jewish boy surviving a masacre in his village only to roam the Belarus mountains during late autum/early winter. He is eventually "found" by a woodsman who takes him to a soldier's camp to be killed.

Because the boy can think on his feet, he makes a connection with Sergent Kulis who saves him from the firing squad. Jekab Kulis is a Latvian sergent on a mission to "liquidate" the ghettos in 1941.

The sergent, knowing that the boy is Jewish, saves him. H
Kristin
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm not much of a history reader, and not much into WWII, but this book was gripping and entirely captivating. I liked the personal focus that didn't try to do too much with the horror of the time and didn't try to do too much with sentimentality, it was just well balanced and incredibly unique. Of all the stories you hear about WWII, you have not heard this one. I particularly enjoy that the book unfolded, it is as much a mystery novel as it is a book of personal history.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii, library
Review to come
Hinch
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex Kurzem is a retired television repair man living in Melbourne. In 1997 he arrived, without prior announcement, on the doorstep of his son Mark, an academic living in Oxford, England. In the days that follow, Alex takes the first of many tentative steps toward revealing his extraordinary past, a secret he has buried deep for almost 60 years.

As a Jewish boy, aged only 5 or 6, Alex witnessed the murder of his mother and siblings by a German-led execution squad. Fleeing into the nearby forest,
Carrie
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been drawn to Holocaust memoirs most of my life and have therefore read many. This, by far, is the most extraordinary story I've read -- and it's well documented as not being fictional (unlike some others I could mention). A remarkable human spirit and nearly feral desire to survive are demonstrated by a 5-year-old orphaned Jewish boy who, through his charm and desperation, manages to not only hide his ethnicity, but also survive World War II in Nazi-dominated Latvia as a "mini SS" soldier ...more
Becky
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mascot is such a powerful and compelling biography. It is not your traditional biography--Holocaust or not. It is the story of how one man's past is revealed, how a father chooses to share his memories--some quite vivid, others very vague or fuzzy--with his adult son. The father's life is revealed to his son in a series of conversations and through the son's research to validate his father's story.

Mark, our narrator, always knew his father had his secrets. His father had a brown bag he carri
Shauna
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was our book club book, otherwise I would not have picked this book on my own because I shy away from dark, difficult subject matter for the most part. And this is some of the darkest: dealing with WWII, Nazis, Holocaust massacres, Russian and Latvian plots, and just unbelievable evil. It is also gut-wrenching to "watch" the author's father tap into his purposefully repressed memories of his horrific childhood. And yet there is something of the fascination of tragedy about it--like watching ...more
Krista
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A survival story, a grim fairy-tale, and a psychological drama, this memoir asks provocative questions about identity, complicity, and forgiveness. When a Nazi death squad raided his Latvian village, Jewish five-year-old Alex escaped. After surviving the winter by foraging for food and stealing clothes off dead soldiers, he was discovered by a Latvian SS unit. Not knowing he was Jewish, they made him their mascot, dressing the little "corporal" in uniform and toting him from massacre to massacre ...more
Arabella
May 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting underlying story, but the author's style drove me nuts and made the whole thing sound implausible.
Zinta
Dec 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mesmerizing read, painfully revealing of the dark that lurks inside us, and beside that shadow, the light. I first heard about The Mascot on NPR, with both son and father being interviewed. It touched upon some part of my own heritage as a Latvian born of immigrant parents, come to the United States during WWII as refugees fleeing the Soviet occupation in Latvia.

This is the story of Uldis Kurzemnieks, by birth Ilya Galperin, a Jewish boy caught in the turning wheels of the Holocaust. To the b
  • The Dentist of Auschwitz: A Memoir
  • Behind Enemy Lines: The True Story of a French Jewish Spy in Nazi Germany
  • Treblinka Survivor: The Life and Death of Hershl Sperling
  • The Pages In Between: A Holocaust Legacy of Two Families, One Home
  • Edith's Story
  • Nine Suitcases: A Memoir
  • The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust
  • The Envoy: The Epic Rescue of the Last Jews of Europe in the Desperate Closing Months of World War II
  • The Girls of Room 28: Friendship, Hope, and Survival in Theresienstadt
  • Stella: One Woman's True Tale of Evil, Betrayal and Survival in Hitler's Germany
  • Notes from the Warsaw Ghetto