Start by marking “Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God

Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  351 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Do you ever question God s ability to catch you when you fall?

Do shame, fear, and brokenness keep you from fully trusting God?

Do you secretly believe your dreams are unreachable? Do you secretly believe your dreams are unreachable? You are not alone.

This is a book about trust. How we fight it. How we learn to do it. How it transforms us. Life is not safe. That reality slip
Published February 16th 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published February 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God

Omega Writers
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From our CALEB reviewers:

It is only very occasionally that a book becomes available that speaks to the heart and spirit of a woman but such a treasure is Sheila Walsh’s book Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts GOD.

When she was a child Sheila’s ability to trust was traumatically shattered.

When she became an adult she was institutionalised with depression - the result of unhealed pain. Of this period she writes “...carrying bitterness in our heart eradicates the beauty of Christ but letti
Nikole Hahn
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“I think I am more like Gideon than Tabitha. At certain moments in my life I’ve felt God calling me to places I didn’t want to go because others would do a better job than I would. At this point in my life, I’m finally getting it: there will always be those who can do things better but God chooses each of us to show what He can do. I titled this book Beautiful Things Happen When A Woman Trusts God because I see that in my life—the way God took a scared little girl and kept calling me to follow H ...more
Leah
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, adult

I just finished Sheila’s Book and the main thread that sticks with me is that we should trust God, no matter how many times we fail. Sheila explains that trusting God doesn’t mean to just plug away doing His work. It means in everything you do, trust God with all your heart and watch what He will do – so much more than we can accomplish with our own choices. Sheila uses many New and Old Testament examples to develop her point. She digs deep into the life of Joseph, shedding light on how he had n
Katrina
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Some great biblical truths and a great reminder that we can trust God in all situations. Writing style was a little loose at times and it was not well edited (lots of spelling errors etc - which annoyed me!). But overall a good read.
Megan
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me through one of the hardest times of my life and brought me the comfort that I thought was impossible to find at the time. I will forever be grateful for coming across this and reading it when I needed to hear this the most.
G
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really, really, really good! Loved her approach to Scripture, and honesty and speaking voice. All wonderful.
Sherilyn Squibb
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good and inspirational
Sunflower

From, "Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God":

"Although the very idea seems ridiculous to me now, I used to want God to perceive me to have more faith and trust that I really had. If I was hurt or confused by God's silence, I stuffed those feelings deep inside and presented my "good side" to God. But unspoken pain festers and takes a life of its own; it cripples growth"

Does that sound familiar to you?

Maybe you feel or felt that you have to present a "have it together, perfect image" t
Megan
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God is both a biography and spiritual growth book. Sheila Walsh tells about her battle with depression and admitting herself into a psychiatric hospital for treatment. She gives demonstrative stories of her past throughout a series of character studies about men and women of the Bible. She discusses ten different people and what she has learned from each one. There is also a Bible study included at the back of the book for personal or group study.

This
Carrie
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
As soon as I started reading Sheila Walsh's newest book, Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God, I began to identify with her. She is quite open and honest about her ongoing struggles with insecurity, lack of trust, and depression, and I appreciate her vulnerability to her readers. This book is filled with Walsh's personal stories, which she beautifully intertwines with stories of biblical characters' encounters with God.

While she doesn't claim to have achieved constant, unwavering trus
Lisa
c. 2010 from Thomas Nelson Publishers
Non-fiction: Christian Life
ISBN: 978-1-4002-023343-0
21.99

Shelia Walsh was once a television personality with Pat Robertson’s CBN. A native of Scotland, Shelia shares a painful time in her past when she suffered a breakdown and subsequent rebuilding of her life and faith journey. Now part of the popular Women of Faith tour, Sheila shares her story and gifts through public ministry in speak
Laura Droege
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
In Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God, Sheila Walsh combines teaching on trusting God with her lifelong struggle with fear. She shows how encountering God changes us: our lives become characterized by trust rather than insecurity. Walsh follows the lives of ten Biblical characters (such as Abraham and Joseph) and shows how their lives changed after personally experiencing God’s trustworthy nature.

Walsh’s candor about her own trust issues is endearing; she obviously understands many
Heather
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-owned
Faith is a journey. And sometimes that journey is long and hard, sometimes it twists and turns and we lose our way. We begin to question God, to wonder if he's trustworthy. Often we may feel alone but this book shows that we aren’t.

In "Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God" by Sheila Walsh, the author shares her very personal account of her struggle with trusting God. Sheila tells stories of her battles with insecurity, doubt, a feeling of hopelessness and fear but also shares the wond
Anne Hamilton
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Scottish singer, Sheila Walsh, was one of my favourite recording artists back in the 80s and 90s. Her thoughtful lyrics combined with driving rhythms just thrummed through my soul. Then she went to America and became a co-host on The 700 Club with Pat Robertson. Her music changed, softened — and the lyrics, though still heart–felt, seemed to have become muted in their passion.

There was one cassette tape of hers I wore almost to death. It was a recording of a live concert somewhere in the UK. Eve
Sela
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-own, review
Unfortunately, I was disappointed by this book.

I thought for a long time about why I was disappointed and why it took me an inordinate time to read. The main problem for me was there was nothing for me to do with the information given. She tells a lot of great stories, but I didn't really understand how they related to me and how to use the information in my own walk with God. Also, the writing was formulaic. Each chapter started with a personal story, followed by a thesis statement, followed by
Cafelilybookreviews
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it

As Sheila Walsh left the hospital after being treated for clinical depression, she was ashamed that she needed a prescription to feel “normal”. She was also fearful about having to start all over again.

In her book Honestly, Sheila talks about being crippled with depression and how she wound up in the psychiatric ward. Learning to start over was not easy – neither was learning to trust again. Now, 15 years later – Sheila is back to tell the rest of her story. After leaving her position with CBN,
M1ssdiagnosis
Fear: a tool used by the Enemy to keep us from God's purpose for our lives. That fear often paralyzes us, keeping us from having the courage to believe God has it all under control. But as Sheila Walsh shares the story of her own struggles with fear and the journey of several Bible characters who also had to overcome fear to come to a place of faith, we find that beautiful things do indeed happen when we begin to trust God.

I am not usually one who enjoys non-fiction books, but as someone with c
Sandy Mckenzie
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
As a child, Sheila Walsh writes in her book, " Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God " ,how she loved to be pushed high on a swing by her mom. " I felt as if I were flying, airborne, without a care in the world. A neighbor boy showed her a bad side of the world.
Sheila has battled depression, spending a month in a hospital and much time afterwards learning how to trust God. This book describes her journey and how you, too, can enjoy a relationship with God that involves letting go of yo
Karen
Oct 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Not loving it so far (in chapter 3)... specifically, not finding this woman to be a very strong writer. But I'm reading this for a class, so maybe the discussion will bring out something that helps the book get up over its current 2-stars in my head... Gah. Life is too short to read bad books.

OK,five months later... finished the book, and indeed doing it with a class & discussions made all the difference. I would not have stuck with this one on my own, but it turned out to be worth the effor
Georgia Herod
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sheila Walsh vulnerably and transparently shares her own journey in coming to trust God when everything and everyone else fails. She addresses shame, fear, and brokenness which can keep us from fully trusting God. And how the lies we believe often hinder us from launching the dreams God has for us.

In addition to sharing her own story, Walsh uses ten characters from the Bible whose lives were transformed when they chose to trust God in spite of overwhelming circumstances. The lessons of Tabitha,
Melissa
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it
All in all this is a good book, brought to light difference biblical references that related to the story Sheila was telling. With that said I did learn a lot and took away the main message of just trusting everything to God. Many of the little personal experiences were not pertinent to my life (either in the past or currently) so on some levels I could not relate but congratulate Sheila for sharing herself so honestly and openly.

Lihui
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Spoke to my heart when the author shares about her struggles in life. How she had discover her own inadequacies and leaned on God to take the next small step.

Easy to read. Easy to follow.

Plenty of good references to the bible but yet not too theological. Author explained bible reference in a easy to understand manner.
Luanne
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Good read, some really great quotes from her like "God does not reveal our faults to shame us but to redeem us"
Bible study at the end is good, used it with three other women and was a very good conduit to exploring some issues about self and how we relate to God and others. Kind of a light read for me though.
Cindy
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
So many wonderful words of wisdom to take away from this book. Trust... how many times have we trusted something or someone or ourselves to find that it was this destructing force against our aim.But, God is faithful. Shelia shows us throughout scripture how God has showed us we can Trust him. I HIGHLY recommend this book.
Amy Bell
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2011
I really enjoyed this book. There were several things that stood out to me and I would have highlighted a lot had this not been a library book. One point that struck me was this quote: "I have never once seen a single sheep trying to be a good sheep. The many sheep I seen just go wherever thier shepherd takes them." May I do my best to live this way and to trust where my Savior takes me.
Jake Fraser
It was good...really good actually. So much wisdom. But it did take me quite some time to get through it. Perhaps there were dry parts...perhaps I just wasn't in the place for a non-fiction. But Walsh definitely has a ton of wisdom that should be eaten up.
Kt
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and like the authors use of personal stories, as well as biblical examples of faith and trusting God. I look forward to the discussion questions and bible study included in this book and a chance at taking a deeper look at what it looks like for me to really trust God.
Joyce Poe
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
So far, it's the best thing I've read in quite awhile. This is a book worth reading again- just to remind me to trust, trust, trust. I say I do but often find worry creeping in. I need all the reminders I can get. Thank you, Sheila Walsh !
Rhonda
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I heard Sheila speak recently and have to read her book. Just started. Wonderful study on following God's leading in your life, even through something as trying as clinical depression. I'm glad I read this
Kathy
Oct 14, 2010 is currently reading it
Reading this with my Beloved Monday Bible study ladies.. I have read other books from Walsh.. I enjoy her insight..
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Stained Glass Hearts: Seeing Life from a Broken Perspective
  • Power for Living
  • Prayerwalk: Becoming a Woman of Prayer, Strength, and Discipline
  • Character Makeover: 40 Days with a Life Coach to Create the Best You
  • Twelve Unlikely Heroes: How God Commissioned Unexpected People in the Bible and What He Wants to Do with You
  • Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl
  • My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife: A One-Year Experiment...and Its Surprising Results
  • How to Reach Your Full Potential for God: Never Settle for Less Than His Best
  • Lord, Teach Me to Pray in 28 Days
  • The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath

Sheila Walsh (05-07-1956) is a powerful communicator, Bible teacher, and best-selling author with more than 4 million books sold. A featured speaker with Women of Faith®, Sheila has reached more than 3.5 million women by artistically combining honesty, vulnerability, and humor with God's Word.

Author of the best-

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath
    $15.99 $3.99
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Through My Eyes
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99