Start by marking “Chasing Life: New Discoveries in the Search for Immortality to Help You Age Less Today” as Want to Read:

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
For centuries, adventurers and scientists have believed that not only could we delay death but that "practical immortality" was within our reach. Today, many well-respected researchers would be inclined to agree. In a book that is not about anti-aging, but about functional aging--extending your healthy, active life--Dr. Sanjay Gupta blends together compelling stories of th ...more
Published April 9th 2007 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published April 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Life

Lacie
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm disappointed in this book, as it offered very little new information. I guess if you are new to a healthy life (and like a bunch of study statistics) then it might be a good fit. My biggest problem was the casual dismissal of the problems hormones and GMOs in our food causes. His only real argument was the FDA said it was okay--not reassuring when some of the FDA are in bed with Monsanto. This book seemed more about selling a book than really doing anything useful.
Ice
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Pauline
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I keep it around as a reference book to remind me of all the things that have been found to improve a person's health just by making small changes in their every day life. Well written, non-technical advice backed by references of the studies being cited so if a reader wants to find out more, they know where to look. Good commute audio book.
Mary
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Sanjay Gupta's writing style in his two pop-medical books, although I think his other book, Cheating Death, was the more engrossing of the two. This book did have its share of fascinating facts. I especially enjoyed the sections on the future of life preserving medicine. Seriously, much of the current medical research in this field sounds like science fiction (i.e. the ability to regrow organs and limbs, nanobots circulating through our bloodstream reversing the aging process, brin ...more
Sandra
Jan 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't about "helping you age less" but about helping you live optimally by changing some of your habits. I think the title is somewhat of a turn-off. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by the book: it wasn't glib or breezy, it didn't prophesy doom, it wasn't oversimplified nor was it heavily research-oriented. In fact, I'd say Sanjay Gupta got it just right. He manages to review and add to what we already know on eating, supplements, exercise, the brain, cancer, heart health, attitud ...more
Curt
Sep 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sanjay Gupta talks about his exploration of the current science of extending quality-of-life expectancy, called Healthspan. Some things were only a surprise in their magnitude - like weight. Other things were interesting to read about the justification and validity, like red wine and chocolate. Of course the need to continue learning as a way of preventing Alzheimer's and dementia is probably not a problem for people who would use this site. Hopefully medical science advances will continue, teac ...more
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Now that Sanjay has a TV presence I guess the idea is to market his "brand" as much as possible. This book was a quick rehash of the current advice for living healthy--and thus hopefully long. Most of it was familiar to me, so I didn't find it particularly interesting or inspiring. However, someone who needs a refresher on pointers for a healthy lifestyle might find this a good pep talk. Only 3 CDs.
Priya
I'm not really sure about this book. It's informative, I'll give it that. But honestly, it's nothing new. I wish somebody would write something I could use, and that I'm not already using. Still, overall, decent read, but yes, I had to put it down to complete at a later date. Maybe the ending has that grandiose finish. One can hope.
Careyt
Aug 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm finding this an interesting read, not so much for it's revolutionary data but because it helps focus you on what's really important in life...not just good health, but great, able bodied health. It's both obvious, and if you look at all the people walking by you on the street, clearly not the focus of so many of us.
Charline A Wells
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a reason for hope

I liked it especially the brief lists at the end of each chapter that summarized key points. Quality information. Interesting reading making complex topics simple for the layman.
BLACK CAT
Dec 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you don't know a thing about general health advice, this is a good beginning. This is not my first "healthy" book so I already knew most of the things. The last chapter was the most interesting and futurist. I think I will read something from the author Ray Kurzweil.
Maria Raynal
I guess this book would be good for those who know little about health, fitness and nutrition, but honestly I felt like I could've written it, and I have zero credentials in the field. So, a superficial look at the basics, but could be great for beginners.
Jennifer Hill
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good book that provides information on helping you stay younger! I enjoyed how they went around to different countries and found out why certain people are living longer and what those people are doing.
Suz
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm embarrassed to say I read the entire book. People with better things to do really shouldn't. Two things to take from this book: eat a plant based diet, exercise. (and don't bother reading this book cover to cover.)
Yoonmee
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-wellness
Meh. It's got some interesting information about aging and health, but otherwise it's nothing special. Eat your veggies, exercise, less red meat, less or no processed foods, etc. One thing to keep in mind is that Dr. Gupta tends to toe the FDA company line when it comes to many issues.
Shannon
Got the book for free through work. Been on an educational kick recently and have really enjoyed this book so far. Very interesting. Some common sense and some reiteration of lessons already known but efinitely learning!
M
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-fitness
Nothing exceptional here. Information in the book is widely available from other sources. Quick and easy survey of what makes you healthy and keeps you living strong.
Rhonda Tackett-barkey
Dr. Sanjay Gupta offers some good advice on living a longer, healthier, and more productive life.
Tanya
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not so sure about the immortality part but it was a good summary of all the common sense stuff we should be doing to live healthier.
Gail
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book as a lot of great information, that I will go back to for reference in the future.
Douglas
Apr 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
So far a good book. Some great advice about what is going on in the medical field. Very very exciting stuff.
Jellie Dawn
It was very informative but fell short on some of it's promise at the book cover.
Joanne
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting book! It took knowledge I had, added to it, and summarized it. Each chapter has a bulleted list of important points, which I found helpful.
Teri
healthy living
virginia
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Sanjay Gupta CNN Food & Health Correspondent
Joseph Young
General book about ways people are trying to prolong their lives with new scientific discoveries. Don't feel like I learned much, but maybe I read this book too late.
Esther Jung
recommended by Sports Ministry
Kathy
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot was not new information but some was. I like Dr. Gupta on CNN so thought I'd check this out. The end of the book has lots of links to good web sites on healthy living.
Lisa
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Health Sustainability to the fifth power! If you are interested in keeping your self healthy read this book.
Kevin Saldanha
Along the same lines as the calorie restriction society guidelines... easier said than done ;-)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
  • Going Gray: What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters
  • Love Yourself And Let The Other Person Have It Your Way
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • The Choice Effect: Love and Commitment in an Age of Too Many Options
  • The Joy of Pregnancy: The Complete, Candid, and Reassuring Companion for Parents-to-Be
  • It Takes a Genome: How a Clash Between Our Genes and Modern Life Is Making Us Sick
  • Lance: The Making of the World's Greatest Champion
  • Hating Women: America's Hostile Campaign Against the Fairer Sex
  • The Flatiron: The New York Landmark and the Incomparable City That Arose with It
  • Why Stomach Acid is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn Indigestion, Reflux and GERD
  • The New Rules of Lifting for Abs: A Myth-Busting Fitness Plan for Men and Women Who Want a Strong Core and a Pain- Free Back
  • Times to Remember
  • What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grown-ups from Children's Books
  • Zhou Enlai: The Last Perfect Revolutionary
  • Denise's Daily Dozen: The Easy, Every Day Program to Lose Up to 12 Pounds in 2 Weeks
  • The Macrobiotic Way: The Definitive Guide to Macrobiotic Living
Librarian Note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database
Sanjay Gupta is an American physician and a contributing CNN chief health correspondent based in Atlanta, Georgia. An assistant professor of neurosurgery at Emory University School of Medicine and associate chief of the neurosurgery service at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, he is also a frequent guest on the
More about Sanjay Gupta...