Start by marking “Above All Things” as Want to Read:

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  472 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Expecting their first baby, Judd and Evette McGlin are thrilled to become parents. But the couple faces the ultimate test when Judd learns he already has a child: a six-year-old mixed-race girl born amid secrets and lies.
Now, Evette must decide if she can accept the child. She thought she was open-minded--until hidden prejudices threaten the future of an innocent little g
Published June 1st 2009 by Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Above All Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above All Things

Alicia
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-book-own, 2012
A young wife pregnant with her first child after years of struggling with infertility, learns along with her husband that he fathered a child with his ex-Fiance 7 years ago. Now the little girl's mother lies in a hospital room and he is called to meet and take responsibility for the child.

It's a story I read before, but I was very in the "twist" to this story, the little girl is Biracial. This added what I hoped were cultural elements and even issues regarding racism which were addressed. My fir
Joleen
Above All Things by Deborah Raney
Location: Lebanon, MO
Timeframe: Present Day
Main Characters: Judd and Evette
Jolie: Six year old daughter Judd never knew he had
Carla: Jolie's maternal grandmother
Tabrina: Jolie's mother

This was another different book for me. I rather liked it.

Synopsis:

(view spoiler)
Emma
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2* - not really for me.

For whatever reason I've often wondered about being a step-mother so when this book came through as an Amazon suggestion I figured I would give it a go. I knew it was Christian fiction of some sort but I am often okay with that. Still at the beginning of the book I wanted to slap the narrow minded FMV and by the end I wanted to slap the author.

Still there was some good. I actually quite liked the MMC. Although I laughed at one point when he gave a highly preachy talk to th
Christine Dillon
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real story of messy life. Well written and thought provoking. Keen to read more from this author.
Just - The romance reader
Above All Things is a beautiful and deeply moving story about faith and family values. The main characters are faced with tragedy, and at times serious emotional trauma.

Like many normal humans when they are at their lowest points they sometimes find themselves questioning whether they can make it through and overcome the problems they are currently faced with, but they reach above and ultimately allow their faith in the Lord to heal them.

The story is at times heartbreaking, and yet at other ti
Lynn
Where to begin.... I bought this book by accident, but it was a good purchase. I love angst and this has it. I am not a big fan of christian romances with betrayal ...they tend to all love the sinner (cheater/liar/betrayer) whom is immediately forgiven..his foolish..wife/lover is the bad guy for not immediately letting the betrayal go. In the instances of a child being involved either from cheating or secret child...that child is always the most perfect of children...never a problem therefore it ...more
 Northern Light
Quick read

They seem to have it all as they prepare for the birth of their first child. Then a phone call changes everything. Six years before Judd broke up with his fiance and is shocked to learn he is a father to Jolie. Sadly Tabrina his ex is in a coma so Jolie needs a home.

An enjoyable read this book shows a family coming to terms with life changing events but the ending was never really in doubt. It was good at challenging Evette's attitudes which were influenced by her upbringing. It did al
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This felt like reading Oceans Apart by Karen Kingsbury - same premise.

I was very irritated with the main character because she was so self involved and didn't seem to realize there were other people with feelings, too. And really, who cares what others think so much? And if your husband had sex with someone before he even met you THAT IS NOT CHEATING.

Luckily, she pulled it together and I liked the family by the end.
Elaine
May 27, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
594/

Elizabeth Prata
Amazon Synopsis:
Expecting their first baby, Judd and Evette McGlin are thrilled at the prospect of becoming parents. But their marriage faces the ultimate test when Judd learns he already has a child: a six-year-old bi-racial daughter, born amid secrets and lies. Now, Evette must decide if she can accept the child—and forgive Judd. She thought she was open-minded—until hidden prejudices threaten the future of an innocent little girl, Evette's marriage, and the very notion of the woman she's beli
Martha
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know how in real life it seems things are amazing and then life hits you out of nowhere with reality? I felt like this story was one of those, but done in a very realistic and non-depressing way. This book tackles racism at its core as well as dealing with a spouse that has had relationships before marriage. Ms. Raney handles both with aplomb and ease, letting you glimpse the internal workings of the heart in deep life issues.
Debra Ashwood
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Above All Things

This was about complications, life's adversity, and growth. Judd had been engaged to another woman before his family caused problems. He met and shortly married Evette now six years later he gets a phone call from his past. He is a father to a six year old girl. What will his wife do? Does he still love the other woman? This is a Christian based story. Well written.
Holly
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I passed over this book several times before I decided to read it. I'm so glad I finally did. It captured my interest immediately and held to the end. There is something about the author's writing style draws me in and holds me there. The characters are very well developed and the challenges they face are plausible. I understand Evie, Judd, Jolie and even Carla. My heart went out to Trabrina. Well done.
Bonnie Jarrett
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Family facing past relationship

The author, Deborah Raney, is a super writer. I have read two of her books and you are pulled into the plot as to what would be your recommendation as to the best way to solve the problem. I especially like the way she inserts bible verses which challenges the reader to think about their own values. I hope to read many more of her books, and appreciate the Christian stories.
Peggy Powell
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading

This book touched home with me. I have a biracial child and it as like I was reliving my life in certain parts. The story line kept me reading to see what happens next. I love the way Evette and Judd learned how to lean on and trust God. There still was prejudice from family but in the end Evette and Judd along with their children became a very loving family. I recommend this book.
Patricia
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book

This book showed me what it would be like to face a situation that could ruin your marriage. In this story we see how God works with us and how he works through others. I enjoyed reading a book with no bad language or sex. I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys a great read.
Deborah Beijer
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good wholesome Christian Fiction but written with the honest struggle we all face when our lives are turned upside down. Jealousy, selfishness as well of many other human emotions. With prayers and help, we can see we can come through many struggles we thought would ruin our lives. We never know God's plan for us.
Mrs. Gayla D. Turner
Captivating

Above All Things held my interest because it had multiple layers of the family dynamic. Judd and Evette were living the American dream when tragedy and mystery enter their lives. The family kept God in their lives and self discovery and growing love was the ultimate result.
Darcy Berard
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becoming a family

A story of how a blended family became whole together. A couple is thrown a loop when he finds out he has a daughter with another woman six years old. She is expecting and has to learn to trust God and love the Six year old. A journey to trusting God and living his will.
Marvetta Howard
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised how I was pulled into this story. Excellent read!

In my mind I thought I knew how this story would unfold, and Ivwas right. What I hadn't expected was how she developed the main characters. I was pleasantly surprised at the way I found myself invested into their growth. Looking forward to reading more from this author!
Tammy Lampert
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!

I would highly recommend this book. One of the things I like about it is it is very realistic, and causes you to really think through issues. The author gives scenarios we could all deal with not only personally, but also come in contact with others who may be dealing with them. It was definitely not a predictable ending which I also like.
Shala Self Parker
This was a wonderful book. I couldn't put it down. It had me laughing and crying the whole time. I can't wait to read more from this author. She has a way of writing that makes you feel like you are the characters. Wonderful is all I can say again.
Donna Engler
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read

Evette and Judd find out they're having a baby. At about the same time or shortly thereafter, Judd receives a very disturbing phone call and soon their lives are turned upside down. To find out what transpired after the phone call, read this very enjoyable book.
Michele Gray
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

This was a good read. I enjoyed how the book started immediately. No long delays, but grabs you from the beginning right into the book. It made sad and happy. I examine my life and what God is saying to me
dollie ledford
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story

Such a sweet and bittersweet story. I wish we all could be understanding and trust in the Good Lord to be in control. This book is well written and immensely enjoyable.
Julie Patterson
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope

This book shows us how we can love one another. It shows us we can have differences but we can get along. It is hard as a wife learns her husband had a child that he and her didn't know about and all the struggles she goes through to learn to love and forgive.
Beverly
A decent read with real issues. I enjoyed the story and characters. However it just felt as if the end became rushed with some issues resolved without depth and others totally forgotten. I have enjoyed other novels by Deborah Raney and wouldn't hesitate to seek out other books by her.
Monyardda Gibson
Need I say more

This book was amazing and such a great lesson on how things work out better if you trust God and it also shows how things get out of hand when you try and fix them yourself. I Would recommend this book because it shows true love the way God intended.
Kelly Baldridge
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christian story of love and forgiveness

A wonderfully written love story, full of emotion and remorse and forgiveness, and ultimately God's hand in creating a loving, blended family.
JoAnn
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book

Above all things is a beautifully written book. It has a great plot with believable characters and true to life situations.
DEBORAH RANEY's first novel, A Vow to Cherish, inspired the World Wide Pictures film of the same title. Her books have since won the RITA Award, ACFW Carol Award, HOLT Medallion, National Readers' Choice Award, Silver Angel, and have three times been Christy Award finalists. At work on her 32nd novel, Deb and her husband, Ken Raney, recently moved to the city after years of enjoying small-town lif ...more
More about Deborah Raney...