Start by marking “The Candlestone (Dragons in Our Midst, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Candlestone (Dragons in Our Midst, #2)

The Candlestone

(Dragons in Our Midst #2)

The first book, Raising Dragons, plunged two teenagers, Billy Bannister and Bonnie Silver, into mind-boggling mysteries, life or death pursuits, and deadly sword-to-sword battles.    In The Candlestone, a mysterious book leads Billy into mortal combat with a powerful dragon slayer. Separated from his friends and finding his dragon traits useless against this enemy, he ...more
Published September 20th 2004 by Scrub Jay Journeys (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Candlestone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Candlestone

Start your review of The Candlestone (Dragons in Our Midst, #2)
Nate Philbrick
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book 2 only got 4 from me because it had a bit too much pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo for my taste.
Tracey Dyck
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(This is my third or fourth read.)

I reread book 1 last month, so again it was wonderful to return to these beloved characters! Billy battles his own darkness, Bonnie faces a deep fear, Walter steps up as a comrade in battle, Professor Hamilton reveals secrets, and Ashley's eyes are opened for the first time. Their journeys really begin to intertwine in this book as a centuries-old story comes to light.

My writer nerd side also noticed how Bryan Davis's craft improved even from the first book. Sti
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one just as much as the first. We return to our hero's Billy, Bonnie, and Walter and along the way we meet new characters that are just as awesome. When Bonnie's Father comes to take her home to Montana she reluctantly goes with him believing what he tells her "Your Mother is not dead." She goes with him and meets a teenaged Super genius named Ashley Stalworth as well as others who live in her Father's giant lab. Not only that, but her Father has The Candlestone! that she threw into ...more
Aelvana
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Bonnie was looking forward to making a new family, but her father shows up with an amazing claim: that Bonnie's mother is not dead, and she needs Bonnie's help. Although Bonnie doesn't trust her father, she won't throw away the chance that he's telling the truth, so she agrees to go. Once she's gone, Billy and the others catch on to her father's lies and charge off after her. But Devin, the dragonslayer, isn't dead yet, and he's got plans of his own for both Bonnie and Billy.

It's hard to say wha
Addy S.
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful! I loved the characters, and I was SO astonished to find that Bonnie and Billy are part dragon! I did not read the first book, as I was only able to find the 2nd in our church library, but it didn't make a difference to me!

I loved the fantasy, the teensy hints of a strong, almost-love relationship, and the characters. The whole story line was great!

Well done, and I look forward to reading your present and future books!
Lady
If I were rating this based on my enjoyment or how well I thought it was written (all the way around - from plot to characters and prose) I’d give it two stars.

Its really not a great book. Its less overwritten than Raising Dragons. But there’s precious little character development. And there’s a fusion of relationships that seems unsubstantiated. And several of the characters (mostly the adults) seem largely unrealistic (especially Billy’s mom, oh and Bonnie - she was overtly naive). One large
christina mayes
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book I love dragons and to know that I have always wanted to become a reader this was a great series to have been a great decision for me. I’m hooked. This book would be excellent Choice series for a young child to grasp. Looking forward to dig into the authors other series. If time allowed me I could read two books a day just unable to put down.

Joseph Brink
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book by Bryan Davis! Although the first book was amazing, this book was so much better! A wonderful mix of fantasy and science fiction, this amazing novel is packed full of Christian truths and principals, wonderful lessons for kids and adults alike. Also, this book introduces one of my two favorite characters! I loved the mix of Arthurian legends and modern day technology. This is a must-read for fans of the fantasy genre!
Marcayla
Shelves: fantasy-read
Maria
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.
I recommend this series to anyone. It surprises you with it's innocence and purity of the characters. I love the combination of dragons and faith, and Bonnie became for me a model in life. Love you so much !
LINDA KLEIN
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
The premise is intriguing but there is too much description and I find myself skimming.
Sandy Carmichael
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
The second book in a series; enjoyed, same as first book in series.
Gabriel
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great
Nikki
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great continuation to an already fascinating series! There's so much to love about this series, especially how it ties in spiritual with fantasy. Can't wait to read the rest!
D
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
OMG! Exciting!!!!
Daniel Gaul
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arguably my favorite book in the series!!!
Juliette
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
My 11 year old is still enjoying this series, but I'm not sure I will continue.
Reagan Long
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Still pretty decent, will continue reading the series.
Ruth-Maria Ilieva
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved it! It's amazing! The suspence kept me out of my seat 'till the very end. I'd read it again hundred times!
Hausmanc
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was very adventurous you never know who you wanted to trust and weather they were for the bad guys or for the good guys.
Mumbi Chishimba
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great final scene
Alyssa
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I thought:

Doesn’t this sound good? You can’t tell me that after reading about the book, that you don’t want to read The Candlestone.

Also, don’t you love the cover? It’s quite captivating, isn’t it? And how many of you noticed the face in one of the other domes??

Anyways, as all the other books in the series, I loved The Candlestone. It was great. One of the main themes was faith, but I didn’t find it preachy in the slightest, which I love.

And while this wasn’t my favorite in the series (thou
Rachel
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Storyline - The Candlestone - Bonnie's father has resurfaced and wants her back. But when she returns to Montana, her friends finds out that he isn't being completely truthful and go after him. Turns out, Bonnie's father has the candlestone and found a way for them to enter it. Can Bonnie's friends arrive in time and what is in the candlestone?

Positive - The characters are honorable and self sacrificial. They fight the evil that is not only coming after the dragons but also the world. The charac
Lindsey
The Dragons in Our Midst series is really awesome. I loved the first book to peices. But I don't really like this book as much as the first one. Why? Because I didn't like the story line and there wasn't as much excitement and suspence. The beginning of the book is good the ending is good and the middle is... ehhh. And so I wasn't very motivated to keep reading. I'm hopping the next book, Circles of Seven, is better and a more exciting read.

Bonnie is going to be adopted by Walter’s parents.
Barbara
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-fantasy
I read this quartet for the first time when I was about 15, at that age I would have rated the book 4 stars or even 5 so I'm uncertain as to what rating I should give it now. The target audience is pre-teens and early teens, I think, and now in my mid-twenties I'm simply more critical and demanding. For this read I've rated it 3 stars for these reasons:

> The prose is often overwritten and Davis often uses metaphors that are a bit too lofty for the context; although, the frequency of these types
Elissa
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 10+
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the best books I've ever read. The story is absolutely enthralling. It's the kind of book that your saying to yourself "Just ONE more chapter" until it's two AM and your eyes feel like they have gravel in them, and you still can't put it down. Bryan Davis has created a fantasty world rivaling Narnia or Middle-Earth, and what I find so interesting, unlike Narnia and Middle-Eearth, the adventures take place in our real world with real life teenagers who face the same temptations and ...more
Gloria
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone; fantasy lovers; dragon aficionados
This second book in the series continues the story of Billy, Bonnie, and their friends and family.

Bonnie's father comes for her, and he has a laboratory and several people living in the lab. Ashley, a lab assistant, explains that the experiments have to do with photo-receptors and the Candlestone. People are able to be transformed into light and dive into the Candlestone, which has its own universe and set of rules.

Bonnie becomes trapped in the Candlestone requiring rescue from Billy. The rescue
Briard
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
Reactions: I lost the battle with my will! I told myself I wouldn't start it until I was done Scarlet.. and then I go and read it the day after I began Scarlet and of course I couldn't put it down because it was such a good book! Why I torture myself I don't know.. but I'm evil to myself and that is the truth well enough.

The Candlestone follows Raising Dragons and is the second in the Dragons in Our Midst series which I was told to read and so I bought the first two which are now read. These bo
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
  • DragonSpell (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • The Rise of the Wyrm Lord (The Door Within, #2)
  • Cloak of the Light (Wars of the Realm, #1)
  • DragonQuest (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • Curse of the Spider King (The Berinfell Prophecies, #1)
  • DragonLight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #5)
  • DragonFire (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • The Last Archer (A Green Ember Story, #1)
  • Kingdom's Dawn (Kingdom, #1)
  • Friend Me: Turning Faces into Lasting Relationships
  • By Darkness Hid (Blood of Kings, #1)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • The Wolf of Tebron (The Gates of Heaven, #1)
  • Light of the Last (Wars of the Realm, #3)
Bryan Davis is the author several speculative-fiction series, including Dragons in Our Midst, Oracles of Fire, Children of the Bard, The Reapers Trilogy, The Time Echoes Trilogy, Tales of Starlight, and Dragons of Starlight.

Bryan lives in western Tennessee with his wife, Susie. Bryan and Susie have homeschooled their four girls and three boys.

Bryan was born in 1958 and grew up in the eastern U.S.

Dragons in Our Midst (4 books)
  • Raising Dragons (Dragons in Our Midst, #1)
  • Circles of Seven (Dragons in Our Midst, #3)
  • Tears of a Dragon (Dragons in Our Midst, #4)

News & Interviews

“William," the professor said, softly, "what now is your weapon?"...."Truth," he whispered, his voice rasping. He cleared his throat. "Truth is my sword."
...."And what now is your defense?" Colour returned to Billy's face, and his jaw tightened. His voice surged with emotion. "Faith...faith is my shield.”
58 likes
“Dear Heavenly Father,
I have a friend who stands as close as a brother, a brave soul.
I have seen in him the heart of a warrior...
He is gallant, loyal, and true, sacrificing his esteem, forfeiting his comfort, even spilling his blood.
But, what color is his soul?
My friend has a desperate need, and I have seen it.
How can I be his accuser, condemning the one who has gladly poured out his blood in my stead?
But shall I deny my witness?
There is a darkness, a gnawing void behind those eyes of steel...
Will you make him a knight, dressed in holy raiment, fit to take a seat at your table?”
22 likes