Start by marking “Rough Cut (Black and White Collection, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rough Cut (Black and White Collection, #3)

Rough Cut

(Black & White Collection #3)

When the screen fades to black, all that remains is love. Ty Ransome. Reigning king of Hollywood, producer, actor, Look Magazine's Hottest Man Alive. He has it all-until he reads a book of short stories that touches him in places kept carefully hidden from the tabloid gossip mill. There's only one way to meet the introverted writer-invite her to Tinseltown to work on a scr ...more
ebook, Nook, 75 pages
Published January 5th 2010 by Mari Carr

To ask other readers questions about Rough Cut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough Cut

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Ty Ransome is a huge name in Hollywood. He’s an actor, has done some directing and producing and now he wants to write the screenplay for a movie based on a book written by Gwen Preston – a very erotic book. One of the short stories in Gwen’s anthology, Evening Songs, is called The Darkest Night. It’s this story that got Ty’s attention and he’s certain reveals Gwen’s hunger to be dominated. After speaking to her over the phone for several weeks, he's decided he wants to be the man to satisfy her
Ridley
For an erotic BDSM novella, it seemed to entirely lack BDSM scenes. The characters talked about them, and played at D/s ever so slightly, but when it came to showing the characters interacting meaningfully in bed, it was almost entirely vanilla. Carr seemed afraid of her own theme.
MsRomanticReads

Since this was a short story, I won't elaborate on a synopsis. The summary more than covers the essentials.

This is my first story by Ms Carr, so I can't compare it to any of her other work, however based off of this, I would read some of her other stories. A reviewer mentions that for a BDSM novella, it lacked BDSM scenes. Instead the H/H just talked a lot about it or the majority of their time indulging in their fantasies were just mentioned to move the story along. I had no problem still likin
Julie
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica, read-2010
The previous book I read by Mari Carr – Covert Lessons, published by Ellora’s Cave – was terrible, so I didn’t go into this one with very high expectations. However, this book was put out by a different publisher and therefore had a different editor. I found this book to be a great improvement over Covert Lessons.

Gwen Preston has written a popular book of sex-themed short stories called Evening Songs. One of the stories, The Darkest Night, contained scenes of BDSM and Gwen, ashamed of her real-l
Anja
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c, w-az, free-ebook
2.5 stars.

This had a very thin plot to support the sex. We are told the characters spent several weeks on the phone and email discussing their project but then when the heroine comes to town for a meeting with the hero she seems surprised by what he is offering. She’s barely in the limo after he picks her up from the airport before he is forcibly kissing her and discovering she likes pain and being submissive.

While staying in his guest house, he intrudes into her bedroom while she is sleeping an
C Joy
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one the way I did her other works. I felt that the story was too short, the structure was there but missing a lot of things. It was really promising, Ty's character wasn't uncommon, he's one of those Hollywood big stars that suffer from the superficiality of it all. What I did like about the story was the outline, the title could work both ways since this work was a little roughened up, and because of the screenplay.

It could have been better if it were longer, we would have kn
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a Nook freebie, and I really had a hard time connecting to the H/H in this story, but I honestly didn't expect too much since again, it was free.
I gave this story two and a half stars because some of the sex was hot, but most of it seemed rushed and hurried. Also, I didn't really get why Gwen was so ashamed of the fact that she likes it rough.....enjoy it! LOL!
Lindsay
I was looking forward to reading this book, but it was just ok for me. I liked Ty and Gwen together, but I just didn’t connect with their story.

I’m glad I was able to borrow this, because I don’t think I would have been happy paying for a story I didn’t really like. I probably won’t buy this book, but I might give another book by the author a chance.
Heather in FL
Generally a cute book. I guess I'm just not really into BDSM. I mean it was kinda hot, but parts of it had me scratching my head.
Cyn Mistress Kitty
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short story. It was smokin' hot and both characters were great. I only wish it had been full length.

Just did a re-read. This is one hot book. Much too short though.
Stephanie
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very light BDSM, but over all very good story. I only wish that it was a little longer.
Katherine
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Converting a book to movie script would be a stressful and time consuming process, when your doing it with co writer well things might just get interesting.

A beautiful short read. and the fact that I want to read the book and see the movie their talking about tells you how well developed the story is for a novella.
Katherine
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Tracey Tranter
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great story with a few laughs along the way. A little BDSM but nothing excessive. Lots of great sex. Would highly recommend.
TinaMarie
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The UHQ Nasanta

This was a BDSM-light, erotic short story/novella. Gwen, thirty-four, is the secret sole author of a collection of short stories titled Evening Songs. She has dark desires which she keeps hidden from the world - and herself. Ty, forty, is a billionaire actor and producer who is tired of making action movies. When he comes across Evening Songs, he is determined to make a movie of a lifetime based on the stories. The stories, "The Darkest Night" in particular which explored the BDSM relat
Wenj
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Review provided by Black Lagoon Reviews:

Who doesn’t like reading all the latest gossip of Hollywood’s most elite? Certainly, I love me some great gossip so the premise of Rough Cut, the third novella in the Black and White Collection by Mari Carr, held quite a bit of promise for me. This was my first time reading this author as well and I have to say that I have mixed feelings after reading it. On one hand, I enjoyed the conflicted relationship between the characters, however, on the other I com
Kimberly
Actor Ty Ransome is tired of being just another hunky action hero. He’s ready for a serious project and he has the perfect one in mind. Ty wants to bring a collection of short stories he found moving to the silver screen, and he wants to co-write the script with the book’s author, Gwen Preston. And when he meets Gwen, Ty immediately knows he wants to do much more than write with her.

Author and self-proclaimed introvert Gwen Preston isn’t sure that turning her intimate, sexual stories into a movi
Emily
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hollywood bad boy, Ty Ransome is ready to change his persona from action star to serious role candidate. When he reads a book of short stories, he sees his chance at changing in his grasp. Inviting the mysterious author to his home to work on the script is his first step.

Gwen is a little overwhelmed with the idea of her book becoming a movie, it holds personal meaning to her and her fear that it won't be accepted by others. Forming a unique relationship first over the phone and than in person, T
Margie Church
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the premise for this story and the way Carr set the chapters up. The emotions were very compelling, especially in the last chapter. The scene where Gwen comes to the set was extremely hot, as was the following in the car. Limo sex is always enticing in my book. People looking to learn about the BDSM lifestyle will get a nice education. LOL

This was a short story, so I have to give the author liberties to cut certain things short. However I did find some of the transitions jarring
LynnMarie
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Clare C's Review

Ty is an action star looking to expand his career. Gwen is a writer who catches his attention with a collection of short stories she wrote. This collaboration can’t help but be more than business. Both characters spent their lives battling ‘dark’ urges. Ty is a Dom who wants a sub, but he can’t do anything that would damage his star status. Gwen seems to have given up on relationships because she can’t find a man who can truly dominate her.

The idea isn’t new and neither is the
Lady Raven RAVE!
This wasn't a bad read but I have a few buts. Ty and Gwen were good together and the sex was good don't get me wrong but the writing stlye confused me. Ty and Gwen met discussing the book next thing I know their kissing and having sex I had to go back a page or too because I thought I miss something, it's like it went A to M instead of A to B it wasn't only the sex it was other things. I don't mind the bondage but it wasn't believable to me that Ty and Gwen were trying to write a script based of ...more
Kelly
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. Yes, it dips into bondage and submission, but it's not overly graphic in my opinion. In fact, I think I'd term it "bondage light". Seeing as how I like my main men Alpha, this didn't bother me so much.

Gwen has a need to be dominated and she likes a touch of pain during sex, two things that she has brutally repressed in herself. Ty's acceptance of this side of her and his willingness to draw her out makes what could have been a cookie cutter story sweet. The fact that T
Diana~ (Kiss Me Books)
As much as I always enjoyed Ms. Mari Carr's other works, this one just didn't cut it for me. Hey, at least it was a freebie! There was a plot... but it was so underdeveloped and the characters kind of pissed me off. We get no explanation as to why Gwen needs pain in her relationship. I guess she enjoys it? But yeah, no real explanation why. As for the hero, he was so flat. We get that he's a dominant, but is there really nothing else about him that we should get to know? Although I do have to sa ...more
Cynthia
Ty and Gwen have sexual needs they have kept hidden not only from others, but from themselves. Once they start to work together on a screenplay, the true colors start to show.

Don't expect to find a deep, emotional BDSM book here. Ms. Carr delivers a well-written novella where Ty and Gwen discover what they like, what they need, and in the end acknowledge their love for one another.

Gwen's is reluctant to commit fully to Ty because she's afraid of getting her heart broken again and he will find he
Jenn
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK WAS HOT!!!! Oh so freakin' HOT!

I read it in less than a day, and I worked 7 hours today.
It was like one giant sex scene with enough plot to keep you hooked.
I cannot wait to check out her other works!

Thank you Amazon for the free download because I had never heard of Mari Carr before!!!!

For the faint of heart....
the "C" word was used a few times (not my favorite word)
There is also some light dom/sub play and an anal scene.
Tess
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I really liked this book and would have given it 4 stars but for two things. Gwen's self loathing over her sexuality especially when it was painfully [pun intended] obvious that Ty shared her kinks and the ending seemed rushed as if the author wanted to wrap up this story quickly and move on. I could have liked Ty and Gwen a lot given more time with them in the bedroom with Gwen embracing her fantasies and with an ending that was less like a "wham bam thank you ma'am" kinda thing.
Liz Blue
Meh. I actually deleted this one (a freebie) from my kindle after reading it. I find I only like erotic romance when the focus is more on the romance than on the sex. That is--I like romance novels with dirty, explicit sex that is there for a reason, either to reveal character or further the plot. Erotica without the romance is fine, too--I just don't want an "I love you" slapped on the end.
AliciaJ
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I never thought I'd rate a BDSM erotica story as sweet, but that was what this was. There wasn't a lot of detail on the BDSM sex, more on the reluctance of Gwen, the heroine, to explore this side of her nature and how Ty, our hero, helps her get past her hang-ups. It was ok for a very short story. I don't know that I'll go for another one by this author.
Mahalia Levey
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yowzers. I found the story both comical and entertaining. Definitely hawt. I really enjoyed reading it, couldn't put it down. Loved how the emotions brought the heat level up even more with real life fears and desires.

• Going All In (Three of a Kind, #1)
  • Make Mine Midnight
  • Holiday Bound
  • Love, Unexpectedly (Wild Ride To Love #2)
  • Snowy Night Seduction
  • The Pearl at the Gate
  • The Bite of Silence (Biting Love Series)
  • The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
  • Second Sight Dating
  • All in Time
  • Fortune's Deception (Fortune, #1)
  • Nate (Devils on Horseback,  #1)
  • Moving On (Bondage Ranch, #3)
  • Lyric's Cop (Crime Tells, #1)
  • Take Your Pleasure
  • Beck And Call
  • The Seeking Kiss (Midnight Playground, #1)
  • Rite of First Claim (Diablo Blanco Club, #3)
Writing a book was number one on Mari Carr’s bucket list and on her thirty-fourth birthday, she set out to see that goal achieved. Too many years later, her computer is jammed full of stories — novels, novellas, short stories and dead-ends and she has nearly eighty published works.

A Virginia native, Mari Carr is a New York Times and USA TODAY bestseller of contemporary erotic romance novels. With

Black & White Collection (8 books)
  • Erotic Research (Black and White Collection, #1)
  • Tequila Truth
  • Happy Hour (Love Lessons, #1)
  • Power Play (Black and White Collection, #5)
  • Slam Dunk (Black and White Collection, #6)
  • Dangerous Curves: Rough Cut / Power Play