Start by marking “The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone, #1)

The Templar Legacy (Cotton Malone #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  42,458 Ratings  ·  1,915 Reviews
The ancient order of the Knights Templar possessed untold wealth and absolute power over kings and popes . . . until the Inquisition, when they were wiped from the face of the earth, their hidden riches lost. But now two forces vying for the treasure have learned that it is not at all what they thought it was–and its true nature could change the modern world.

Cotton Malone,
Published February 21st 2006 by Ballantine Books

Jeffrey Keeten
May 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Knights Templars were founded in Jerusalem in 1118 to protect the pilgrims visiting Palestine at the end of the First Crusade of 1096. The full, original name was "The Poor Knights of Christ and the Temple which is in Jerusalem", but the for the sake of this review I will just refer to them as The Templars.

Photobucket

By papal decree only The Templars were allowed to wear the cross patee. The red cross is probably the most famous identifying symbol for the order.

The Templars because of their austere
Todd
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jill, Karen, Bridget
Steve Berry is the thinking man's Dan Brown. I was immediately impressed after reading The Romanov Prophecy, and The Third Secret. The Templar Legacy does not disappoint. If you enjoyed The DaVinci Code you will appreciate this novel all the more.

Berry mixes a decent understanding of folkore and history in this fast paced quest for the real Templar Treasure." He even takes a decent pot shot at all the conspiratroialists and others who have made fortunes off a well-documented hoax.

The book's ide
Jim
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not quite a 4 star read, it dragged a bit in places & was quite long, but Berry certainly did his historical homework & came up with a great conspiracy. If you're not familiar with some of it, as I wasn't (I looked up more online.) he had a great author's note at the end that covered the main points.

While about religious people, orders, & conspiracies, Berry took a great secular look at it all, but wasn't insensitive to religious folks. He didn't berate the Gospels for their in
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
So fascinated by the amount of research that went into this. Really cool book, and I'm excited to follow Cotton on more adventures!
Heather
Jul 21, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
once again i'm longing for half stars (2 vs. 3). i'm settling on this just being ok/2 stars, though, because:

- the dialogue is not afraid to spell things out. as in, explaining the obvious, in a predictable, simplistic manner
- the actual storyline meanders a little too much, at least for my taste in historical thrillers. i'd like these books to be, i don't know, thrilling.
- there were a couple of spelling/grammar errors. true, it could happen to anyone. true, it's an enormous pet peeve of mine i
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I suppose this is what might be called a "thriller" however I have hesitated to put it on that shelf. I hesitate because there are very, very few thrills in the book.

I've hit a string of mediocre books lately. These are all books I've been looking forward to but once I got into them they were at best, "yawn-worthy". This one is that way.

We start out on what has become well trodden ground since The Da Vinci Code. Again we're off on an adventure to track down the "real history" of things, in this
Maurean
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this tale; I have just recently 'discovered' Berry (I read "The Third Secret" in August), but the mister has been enjoying him for some time now..

In a sort of Cliff Janeway–meets–The DaVinci Code story (although, much better told, in my opinion), we follow “Cotton” Malone, one-time federal agent with an eidetic memory and now a Copenhagen-based bookseller, as he becomes unwittingly involved in a search for the Great Devise, an ancient Templar archive that supposedly disproves the Resur
Josen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-library
What can I say I just really like these kinds of books with thriller/action-adventure based on history and historical landmarks. This is about an American, Cotton Malone (which I’m not too thrilled with that name, lol!), who is now a bookseller in Denmark after retiring as a US Operative. He’s trying to live the quiet life when he finds himself embroiled in a quest (with his former boss) that involves the Knights Templar and looking for “The Great Devise”.

Yes this type of storyline and pace is
Jesse A
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Dan Brown esque. Interesting thriller with the seemingly sole intent of challenging pre conceived historical beliefs. Long spots of historical info dumps, which I found interesting but could bore some. Entertaining at least.
Lauren
The Templar Legacy
1 Star

This is my third attempt at reading this book and its time to call it quits.

The main character is interesting enough and the plot has potential, but it moves along at a snails pace with excessive descriptions of the scenery (villages, buildings, forests, gardens, etc.) and the innermost thoughts of each and every character most of whom I couldn't care less about.

Enough is enough!
John Yelverton
Aug 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Total load of garbage from the beginning of the book until the end. This book was not even worth the paper it was written on.
Jenny
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
It has served us well, this myth of Christ. — POPE LEO X

The above appears on the back dust jacket of The Last Templar and as an epigraph for The Templar Legacy. Fascinating, isn't it? My initial reaction upon seeing it for the second time, having just brought home The Templar Legacy, was, oh no, it's the SAME BOOK! Really, though, aside from both dealing with lost Templar treasure and the possible non-divinity of Christ, they're quiet different novels. (I may have even enjoyed this one more than
Benjamin Thomas
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the Cotton Malone series. The author, Steve Berry, has been described as "the thinking man's Dan Brown" and I can see why. I am certainly no biblical scholar but the book seemed to be well researched and real world mysteries are dealt with in a plausible way. I do wish, though, that readers who are offended by anything that challenges their religious views would just avoid those novels in the first place rather than read them and then trash the book's viewpoint.

I enjoyed lea
Piyangie
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
This is the first book of the Cotton Malone series, and thus far, the best one I have read. I'm sure my fascination with the history of Knights Templar was a weighing factor in my rating of the book. Nevertheless, Steve Berry has done a good job in mixing history with an interesting story line. The story was quick paced with full of action. The employment of diverse characters made it all the more interesting. I liked most of them, especially the Seneschal, Mark Nelly. But Cotton Malone was anot ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
I'm not going into the the whole story line as the synopsis gives us a lot of information on that.

This is the 2nd time I have read this book...I decided to start the whole series again as I have now copies of his later books.

I enjoyed it a lot and what makes this series interesting for me is the hero, Cotton Malone - love his name and also the amount of research done for the story....though at times, I felt bombarded with so much all at once....but I am liking getting into this series again.
Stacy
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought the book was good, held my attention, and kept me guessing. I thought it was well researched, but since there was no roving reporters, internet, video cameras or cell phones centuries ago we rely on documents written by whoever was paying to have them written, and naturally if King Phillip IV, the Pope, or the Templars wanted to document an event, they would have it recorded to put themselves in the best light. So, historically, I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle of what is ...more
Mike French
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Steve Berry novel and it will not be my last. Even though I not into the Knights Templar,I found the book enjoyable and entertaining from start to finish!
Kelsey
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, literature
This was a fun, adventure-filled thriller full of history about the Knights Templar, or as they called themselves, Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon. They were a Catholic military order founded around 1119 until around 1312.

"The Templars were closely tied to the Crusades; when the Holy Land was lost, support for the order faded. Rumours about the Templars' secret initiation ceremony created distrust, and King Philip IV of France—deeply in debt to the order—took advanta
Jen
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Da Vinci Code fans looking to further fuel their arsenal of anti-Jesus "facts"
Andrea
This was an enjoyable read. I liked it, I thought it was well written, it kept me in suspense, there were twists and turns, and it was interesting. (Although if you don't like fictional books that question the Bible or faith then this book is NOT for you!) It's a very Dan Brown kind of book (that I think is a bit...only a bit...more realistic.) I wavered between 3 and 4 stars for this one and settled on three.

I settled on three because
-At times the books gets very preachy/too lecture like.
-It's
Ben Chenoweth
Mar 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
I should have known: this is, after all, an attempt to muscle in on Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code territory. Lots of anti-New Testament material here! Oh, how I wish authors who want to write books in this "genre" would do wider research. Berry refers to Bishop Spong, for crying out loud! In my opinion, one book by N. T. Wright (Resurrection And The Son of God) would have been enough to alter the ending of Berry's book for the better. If you are looking for an escapist page-turner, then this book ma ...more
Katherine Coble
Jan 31, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I got this for free on Amazon Kindle.

It's worth what I paid for it. I couldn't make it past the first 80 pages, which were an obvious attempt to not only ride the coattails of The DaVinci Code but to also build a franchise around the main character. The fact that I came here to update my review and see that the goodreads title lists it as "Cotton Malone #1" pretty much seals the deal on that.

I grow very weary of these action franchises, and more than one speculative fiction author (James Rolli
Carl Kleinebecker
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
So... I'm always looking for a new series to read and Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series fits the bill. In a formulaic Dan Brown-esque fashion we start off LONG ago in a land far away... laying the ground work for the "action" that will take place in the present(ish) day. While Cotten's backstory could have been built out a little more fully... hits are given that things will be either explained later in the story or... we are lead to believe this is a "story" for another time i.e., another book ...more
 Marla
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Marla by: Librarian Marilyn
2.5 stars. Between slow story, exhaustive historical explanations, mother-son conflict, estranged husband's suicide and OFFENSIVE religious shocker, I was not a fan of this book, but I've heard good things about the series, so I'll try the next one before I'll make a final judgement.

Likes:
* Retired CIA operative owning a book store
* Knights Templar
* Protectress, Cassiopeia Vitt
* Old Master's intricate plan
* In another review, someone said that the author provided an afterward identifying what is
Christian, Kelanth, Scala
L'ultima cospirazione, in originale "The Templar Legacy", è un romanzo thriller a sfondo avventuroso, pubblicato nel 2006, ed è il primo libro della saga riguardante Cotton Malone, personaggio inventato dallo scrittore americano Steve Berry.

La trama del romanzo si può così riassumere: Cotton Malone, ex agente operativo del dipartimento di Giustizia americano, si è da tempo lasciato alle spalle una vita fatta di pericoli e agguati e ha deciso di trasferirsi a Copenaghen, dove gestisce una libreri
Billy
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I found this book after reading The Da Vinci Code. I was enthralled from cover to cover and have found through this book, The Da Vinci Code and 1 other book that I am now a closet Templar conspiracy theorist.

Well written with good plot twists and suspense. Steve Berry is a gifted author with a special talent for suspense and history.

Historical fiction lovers will get plenty from this book. Suspense lovers will not be disappointed. There is even some blood for the horror fans. I guess the only pe
Siobhan
Mar 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hist-fict
US ex-spy searches for the key to the Templar's power through the centuries. Da Vinci Code-y but actually a chapter book and with more fully fleshed out characters. Another series of puzzle-like hoops for the characters to jump through in place of an actual plot.

<(view spoiler)
Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thriller.

There is a book.

The book goes missing.

There comes a man, arrogant as usual, divorced as usual and retired. You know what am talking about.

Then there is a woman, partner to the man, divorced too.

What are they looking for, the book.

Then we have the bad guys, they are killing people for the book.

The story is not as simple as I have put it though. The book is actually interesting. A lot of history to learn and other valuable facts. Kudos to Steve Berry. I never thought I could read this
kin
Christopher Stephen
Dec 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Well, I have recently finished "The Templar Legacy," and for those who like Templar historical fiction, I highly recommend. Filled with facts and mysteries involving "The Great Devise," the long lost Templar treasure who some hypothesize as being proof of Jesus' mortality, the book takes the reader through twists and turns, all the while being action packed. The book does have multiple characters, both as part of the story and the story's history, so sometimes is may get confusing. Don't dismay ...more
Janice
This book reminds me a lot of The Da Vinci Code. Instead of the Illuminati, this book has the Knights Templar. Instead of the search for the Holy Grail (Mary Magdelene), this book searches for the truth of the resurrection, whether it was fact or myth.

The history lesson of the Knights Templar was worth the read.
Great book 15 111 Jan 08, 2014 02:34PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: TheTemplar Legacy 1 5 Dec 17, 2012 05:33AM
  • The Sanctuary
  • Black Order (Sigma Force, #3)
  • The Sword of the Templars (Templar, #1)
  • Empire of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • Sign of the Cross (Payne & Jones, #2)
  • The Alexander Cipher (Daniel Knox, #1)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
Steve Berry is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of The Lost Order , The 14th Colony , The Patriot Threat , The Lincoln Myth , The King's Deception, The Columbus Affair , The Jefferson Key , The Emperor's Tomb , The Paris Vendetta , The Charlemagne Pursuit , The Venetian Bet
More about Steve Berry

Cotton Malone (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Alexandria Link (Cotton Malone, #2)
  • The Venetian Betrayal (Cotton Malone, #3)
  • The Charlemagne Pursuit (Cotton Malone, #4)
  • The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)
  • The Emperor's Tomb (Cotton Malone, #6)
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • The Lincoln Myth (Cotton Malone, #9)
  • The Patriot Threat (Cotton Malone, #10)
  • The 14th Colony (Cotton Malone, #11)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit.” 19 likes
“A man can accomplish much when the woman he loves supports him, even if she believes that what he does is foolishness.” 2 likes